The fear

World Champion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry I was late. Let’s just begin.” The doctor click on the pointer while fixing her messy hair. 

 

Today is the day where she should present in front of KBA regarding Minjeong’s case and progress. Since she was on oncall last night, they match the presentation time with her schedule which suppose to start at 10 a.m. Her shift supposed to end at 9 a.m. but just five minutes before her shift ends, a *BID patient arrived and she has no choice but to attend him.

 

*brought-in-dead or dead on arrival.

 

“I can’t believe it. So you mean the criminal is the coconuts?” The board director asked her.

“Yes. The cardiac arrest is secondary to hyperkalemia. The potassium level in her blood is 8 mmol/L. The normal should be around 3.5-5 mmol/L.” Jimin explained.

“From now on I think we should hire a dietitian for all our athletes.” The deputy director made a suggestion.

“Just because someone’s stubborn like Kim seonsu? Nah. It’s a waste of money.” The board director despised the idea.

 

Jimin slowly shakes her head with a scowl on her face. She hates him. The one who didn’t support the relationship between Minjeong and her. Everything about him is selfish. All he care about is money. 7 years passes and how come this ty old man still holding the director’s title? 

 

“Since MY hospital is in collaboration with KBA, maybe we can hire them directly here.” The deputy director didn’t want to lose.

“If that’s the only solution, then just hire Yu seonsaeng back.” The board director smirked.

“Excuse me sir? I’m not a dietitian.” What the hell is wrong with this old man? She thought.

“I don’t mean as a dietitian. But back as our sport doctor.” He proposed. 

“I think this is not why we’re here today, mr director-nim. Plus, I’m an ED doctor here. How can I leave my colleagues?” Jimin didn’t understand him at all. 

“I believed you have finished your residency right? You’re ‘floating’ now. Not a specialist nor a resident. But now that you’ve served for 6 months as a floater, you have no choice but to leave now. Because I heard that it takes at least a year for a floater to receive permanent placement.” 

 

Okay that is too much information but how the heck this guy know? Indeed, today is her last day as a floater ED doctor. Since she already working for 6 months, she just have to wait for another 6 months before receiving a permanent placement and officially become a specialist. It’s not because of competency, it’s just the process. Like she has to wait for Korea Medical Association to complete her registration and so on. Things like that really take much time.

 

“Though we can only offer you half your current salary now, at least you won’t waste your knowledges. It’s not a bad offer right?” The director negotiated.

 

Well, half of her salary still can afford her to rent a luxurious house in Seoul, so it’s not a big deal. But the question is, why her? Why after all this time, out of all people they can hire, they choose her? She just can’t understand that.

 

“You have a good record with us, Yu seonsaeng. If that’s answering your thoughts.” The deputy director is like reading her mind.

“Though we only offer you half of your current salary, we will pay for other expenses like phone bills, team’s uniform, transportation and food.” He added.

 

Okay did she heard it wrong but what about another basic needs that a human need? He mentions clothes and food, but what about shelter? She knows her salary can afford to pay a rent but of course she must fight for her rights. 

 

“I think you forget about rent. Where I’m supposed to stay? On the court?” She demanded.

“Oh I forgot the most important thing. With condition, you must live with Kim Min Jeong seonsu.” The board director winked.

 

What the hell is going on?

 

****

 

“Come on, Minjeong. Wake up! You need to train.” Jimin opens the curtain.

“Ughh.” The girl pull her blanket up.

“Minjeong-ah, hurry. I already made your breakfast.” She sits beside her, taking the blanket off her face.

“Hmm…” Both her eyes tightly shut.

“Minjeong-ah, come on. We’re going to be late.” She softly caressed her cheeks.

 

It’s been a month now since Jimin staying together with Minjeong. Everything about her is new to Jimin. It’s like meeting a new Minjeong. First, the athlete moved out from her spacious studio home to a smaller apartment. Second, she doesn’t like to work out anymore. Third, she drinks coffee. Fourth, the late 20s woman is smoking. She can accept all other things but not the last one. She remembers the first day she arrives her apartment, it reeks of cigarette smoke. With all these things she saw it with her own eyes, now she believes the old director.

 

“Actually, we found proof that Kim seonsu is trying to take her own life.” The board director started to explain the reason why he wanted Jimin to live with Minjeong.

“But she didn’t want to make it looks obvious, so she find a way that looks more ‘natural’ Which is….”. He left his words hanging.

“The coconut water?” Jimin guessed.

“Yes.” He nodded.

“What the…” 

“Kim seonsu is a bright athlete. You know that well, Yu seonsaeng. She learned things fast even it’s not her speciality. I guessed she learned about the coconut water, potassium and heart too.”

“But, since when? She looks fine.”

“You’re a doctor yourself, Yu seonsaeng. You know this kind of people didn’t show that they’re drowning and need a life saver.”

 

Jimin did her bed while thinking about the things she discussed with the KBA’s people. It’s breaking her heart to see Minjeong this way. Is she the one who causes all of this? It it because of her?

 

“I hope you can guide her back, at least you can help her to find the will to live again. Because people like her, if she herself didn’t have that will to live, we won’t be able to stop her no matter what we did.”

 

“What are you still here?” 

“Just folding your blanket.” She hoped Minjeong didn’t notice her watery eyes.

“Oh come on, I’m not a kid. I can do that myself.” Minjeong protested.

“Yes but you will take 30 minutes just for that and we will be late for your training.”

“Do you really come here to be our team’s doctor? Not a coach?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter