Rewrite the fate

World Champion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The loud siren sound breaks the silence of the night. Jimin is trepidatious of the sound. It's like it's her first time hearing it even though she encounters it for more than 100 times per day. This is bad. A doctor shouldn't be affected by the emotion. She could only blame herself. She shouldn't read the article at the first place.  

 

BREAKING: KIM MIN JEONG SEONSU COLLAPSED DURING TRAINING

According to the head of badminton women's single's coach, Pyo coach-nim, Kim Min Jeong seonsu suddenly collapsed while sparring with men's single player, Kudo seonsu. Kim Min Jeong seonsu is brought to the nearest hospital immediately right after.

Let's pray for our Kim Min Jeong seonsu to regain her consciousness soon!

 

This time it feels different when she sees a recognisable face is unloaded from the ambulance. On top of the patient is a medical assistant who is pushing her chest up and down. Another person is squeezing something oval on her nose while running alongside the stretcher. There's also a triangular-shaped silicon covers the patient's mouth. She's transferred on the bed and Jimin immediately takes over.

"A female, 27 years old, suddenly collapsed. We already performed 3 cycles of CPR and 2 defibrillation given." The medical assistant passed over.

"Hyo *ganhosa-nim, continues bagging. Yoon ganhosa-nim, inserts brachial vein and prepares epinephrine 1mg. Jin ganhosa-nim, prepare for defibrillation 200 joules. Min seonsaeng, switch with me after 30 counts." A doctor must be a good team leader and Jimin fulfilled her duty well.

*ganhosa= nurse

It is a nerve-wrecking situation. Jimin never felt this desperate to save someone. After 10 minutes of resuscitation, the blinking red colour led of cardiac monitor finally stops.

"Pulse detected. Patient *ROSC" Min announced.

"G-good.... Min seonsaeng, post-rosc care." Jimin instructed while trying to catch her breath.

"Good work, Yu seonsaeng." 

"You guys too. Thank you." 

 

Rosc= return of spontaneous circulation.

 

All nurses like to work with Jimin not only because of her intelligent, but also her attitude. She never forget to say "thank you" every time they help her, even on trivial things like borrowing her a pen (doctors always lose their pen). She believes things like that should be normalised because nurses are not someone who work for doctors, but they are someone who work together with doctors. They are a team.

 

"I'm going to take some air." 

 

A doctor would be happy when their patient's condition improves especially when they brought them back to life. But Jimin is not. Seeing all those wires on the tiny body who once was a part of her life makes her feels suffocated. Maybe she is still in part of her life. But she regrets it fast when the automatic sensor door slides open. Full of people and flashes.

 

"Is Kim Min Jeong seonsu alright?"

"Is Kim Min Jeong seonsu still unconscious?"

"Will this affect her career as a badminton player?"

"Does she needs to skip her training this week?"

"Will she misses the next Hong Kong tournament?"

 

So much more inaudible questions are threw to her and she just can give them an empty stare before Min comes and pulls her in again. Ridiculous. Someone's battling with her life and all they care is about her career? She just doesn't have that strength to answer them.

 

"Chief, are you okay?"

 

It's not that hard to answer 'I'm okay' but she's just too speechless to speak. She looks to the poor body on the bed. The pretty lips that once pampered her with sweet kisses now is covered with an oxygen mask, the toned arms that once held her tight are inserted with IV line and the chest that once became her pillow is attached with all sort of patch. It's just too heart breaking to see.

 

"I'm not." She muttered.

 

UPDATE: KIM MIN JEONG SEONSU IS IN STABLE CONDITION

Last night, citizens were shocked by the news of women's single badminton player, Kim Min Jeong collapsed and loss her conscious. Not only Koreans, worldwide badminton fans were worried about the condition of the world no.1. 

Yu Ji Min seonsaeng, the attended doctor last night stated that Kim Min Jeong seonsu already regained her conscious and her condition is improving. 

"Kim Min Jeong seonsu went into a sudden cardiac arrest. Since she didn't has any history of cardiovascular disease, it's hard to say that she has a heart problem. She will undergo a few tests to further investigate the causes."  - Yu Ji Min seonsaeng

Let's keep praying and wish a speedy recovery for our athlete!

*****

"Ughh. Oh come on coach, I'm really okay! Just let me out."

 

Minjeong groans. She barely remembers what happened to her last week. The only thing she knows is that day she felt lightheadedness in the morning but continued to train anyway. On last sparring, she felt a sudden chest pain and everything went black second later. When she half-conscious, a female doctor was staring at her dearly, her cheeks kinda wet and there's a small black dot on her left chin. Though she doubt her memory. It must be her imagination.

 

"Doctor said you must stay for another week, Kim seonsu. They want to make sure your ribs are healing correctly. Don't you feel the pain?"

"I'm not i—" She frowned, couldn't finish her sentences.

"—In pain." She struggled to finish her sentences.

"Oh, of course you're not. You just held your chest just now because you're CLEARLY NOT IN PAIN right? You lagged for a few seconds to finish your words because you're CLEARLY NOT IN PAIN right?" 

 

Fracture of ribs is an expected complication of CPR chest compression. According to statistic, about 30% of those who survive CPR wake up with cracked sternum and/or broken ribs. Of course Minjeong is one of the unlucky 30%. Bone healing starts as early as two weeks and thus resulting her been hospitalised for a week now. 

 

"Then Iet me get some fresh air at least. This is not a confinement." She protested.

 

Minjeong hums all the way from her ward to outside. She wins her right to go outside for a fresh air. The pain she feels is bearable as she thinks it is worth the pain, though she earns it through a hard way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter