IV. Family

I Choose You

Cian kept on teasing me about the Valle girl lalo when I messaged her kanina na nakasabay ko maglakad yung girl papunta sa starbucks. I was even more annoyed kasi there was only one table left when we arrived kaya magkatapat kami ngayon dito sa isang small space while I'm keeping myself busy sa readings ko na wala naman akong maintindihan. 

 

I don't know if this woman is nananadya kasi she keeps on grinning in front of me. Masyado ba halata na I'm annoyed sa presence niya? 

 

 

"Hey, Lardizabal.." 

 

 

"What?" my voice sounded annoyed. 

 

 

Bigla bigla naman kasing nagsasalita ang isang 'to! 

 

 

"You're cute." she softly chuckled. "Kilig ka naman agad.." 

 

 

"I'm not!" oh my goodness I can feel my face burning with anger! This woman is really testing my patience! 
 


 

"Don't you get that a lot? Akala ko you're used to compliments." 

 

 

Maybe it's just that she's really annoying or my eyes just have a habit of rolling itself that I forgot to count how many times it has been. 
 

 

 

"Why are you talking to me like we're close? We just met earlier so know your place, Miss Valle." 

 

 

"Aren't we close?" itinuro niya pa kaming dalawa. Nice, she's too corny. 

 

 

"It's not funny, you're not funny, Valle." 
 

 

 

This time it was her turn to raise a brow. 

 

 

Right in front of me pa ah? 

 

 

"I don't remember saying my full name.." umirap ako ulit. Nahuhuli tuloy ako! "Have you heard someone say na ang taray mo?" 
 

 

 

"I don't need them to say it to my face kasi alam ko naman yun." 

 

 

I focused na sa binabasa ko dahil baka kung ano pa ang masabi at magawa ko sa babae na 'to. The audacity of this woman to make fun of me talaga! Ang tapang niya ah? 

 

 

I just covered my face with the papers dahil pulang pula talaga ako sa inis. Bakit ba kasi ang tagal ni Kuya! 
 

 

 

We stayed there for thirty minutes more bago mag message si Kuya na he's on his way. Kaya lumabas na ako ng starbucks para he can pick me up agad. Gusto ko pa kasi umuwi before kami pumunta sa hotel for our family dinner. Mom already messaged us kasi na boarding na daw ang flight nila pabalik ng Manila. 

 

 

"Are you following me?" Inis na tanong ko kay Valle when she was already standing beside me sa labas ng starbucks.

 


 

This woman is a stalker! She followed me here and will even follow me pauwi? She's so weird. 

 

 

"And why would I follow you?" 

 

 

"Because you're a stalker." I crossed my arms. "You followed me from the uni hanggang dito. I let you be when we were inside pero sinundan mo pa din ako until dito sa labas? Whaf a stalker behavior that is." 

 

 

"Miss Lardizabal.. have you heard someone say na you're also good at assuming things?" she chuckled as if mocking me. It's insulting! 
 

 

 

"Excuse me?" 

 

 

I was about to retaliate when I heard the familiar honk from Kuya's car before he parked his car in front of where I was standing. 
 

 

Hahawakan ko na sana ang handle para makapasok sa passenger's seat when it suddenly opened, revealing a woman with a blonde hair who's thin and and white as a milk. I automatically raised a brow when the girl got out of the car, followed by Kuya. 

 

 

At sino naman ang babaeng ito? 

 

 

"Kanina pa kayo dito sa labas?" 

 

 

"No I just got--" 

 

 

"Five minutes pa lang naman.." 

 

 

My jaw dropped when Kuya nodded at Valle. He was talking to her and not me? Hah! 
 

 

 

"Who are you and why are you coming out from the passenger's seat?" I tried to use my normal voice but it just naturally turned into a mataray voice. I don't know how that happened, too! 
 

 

"Don't terrorize her, Xia." I rolled my eyes. "Xia, her name's Nevis. She's the person I'm courting.." 

 

 

"Oh she's Spanish? Nieves?" 

 

 

"Nevis, Xia. And she's not spanish. She's Filipino." 

 

 

"Whatever, kuya." I rolled my eyes. "Nice to meet you, Nieves. You must have heard about me already." 

 

 

"You can call me Snow, Xi." she smiled and accepted the hand I offered. 

 

 

"I prefer Nieves." 

 

 

"It's Nevis, Caleigh." 
 

 

Inirapan ko na lang si Kuya. Whatever! 
 

 

 

"Let's go na. I want to rest before I get ready for dinner." tumabi tabi si Nieves para makasakay ako sa car ni Kuya. 

 


 

Then I remembered.. the woman who was now beside Nieves. She was smiling at me like an idiot. A really weird gal! 
 

 

"Do you know my stalker, kuya?" 
 

 

"Stalker?" tinuro ko agad si Valle. 
 

 

I was expecting my brother to confront her pero he just laughed at her! 
 

 

 

"I see that you already met Kiyara. She's Snow's cousin." 
 

 

 

What... Kuya's future girlfriend and this stalker are cousins????? 

 

 

"It's nice to meet you again, Ms. Lardizabal. See you around!" 

 

 

Nagpaalam na siya, pati si Nieves while I'm still left in disbelief. The world is really round and small, 'no? 
 


 

I can still hear Kuya laughing beside me bago niya ako sabihan na pumasok na sa sasakyan. I'm still annoyed. 
 

 

 

Sabay sabay kaming magkakapatid na pumunta sa hotel for our dinner. Ate's boyfriend will go there on his own na lang daw since she left her car wifh him kanina. Our parents also updated us and papunta na din daw sila so we'll see who'll get there first. 
 

 

 

I'm honestly so surprised that Mommy's voice was calm kanina, when she called to tell us na malapit na kami sa hotel. Buti na lang mabilis magpatakbo ng sasakyan si Kuya kaya we got there on time. 

 

 

 

I missed my parents pero not their bickerings... 

 

 

"Finally, my children are here. Sawang sawa na ako sa mukha ni Esquivel." nginisian ko na lang si Mommy bago bumeso sa kaniya at lumipat kay Mama. 

 

 

"How are your eardrums, Ma?" I jokingly asked mama. 

 

 

"I'll have to set an appointment with our doctor. I need this checked to be sure." tumawa kami ni Mama. 

 

 

"What now, Esquivel? Nagsusumbong ka na agad sa anak mo? As if I enjoyed the trip with you, 'no!" 

 

 

"Mommy what are you saying?" di ko na mapigilan hindi matawa. "I was just asking Mama how she is. We're not backstabbing you. Assumer ka.." 

 

 

Mommy rolled her eyes sa akin at umupo na. Mama's nasa center and on her right is Tatiana, on her left was an empty seat for ate's boyfriend daw. This is the first time kasi that Mama's meeting him so she wanted to see him upclose daw. 

 

 

"Parents, please act nice when he's here.." 

 

 

"Act nice? Mabait naman kami, ah." Mom defended, her arms crossed. 

 

 

"I'm not really sure about that, Iana.." nagkatinginan kaming magkakapatid when we heard Mama call our mother with her nickname. The one she usually calls her noon pa! 
 

 

 

What... she just called Mommy Iana! 

 

 

"Sabi ko nga i'll just shut up.." tumango naman agad si Mommy sa sinabi na iyon ng ex-wife niya. She's probably thinking na she won against her, nanaman. "I have one question though, Princess." 

 

 

"Yes, Ma?" 

 

 

"Does your boyfriend know that your Mom and I are... divorced?" 

 

 

I felt the bitterness in Mama's voice. It's been five years and I guess, she still won't acknowledge it and she's still having a hard time accepting the thought of them being a divorced couple. 

 

 

"He doesn't." It was Mom who answered, eyeing Mama but immediately taking it back. 

 

 

Uhm.. what is wrong with these two.. 

 

 

Dumating na din ang boyfriend ni Ate. He's sorry that he's a bit late because of the traffic. Napag-sabihan pa tuloy ni Mom si ate kasi dapat daw hindi niya hinayaan magisa si Kuya Kang. Mommy likes him kasi talaga. 


 

"So.. what does your family do?" 

 

 

"Don't sound so authoritative, Rence. You'll end up scaring the kid." 

 

 

Nagkatinginan kami ulit magkakapatid. Mommy's voice was soft and calm and she also called Mama using her nickname! Bati na ba sila??? 
 

 

 

"It's alright, Tita. Tita Florence wasn't scary naman po.." 

 

 

Ngumiti si Mama. "Because Iana's the one who's scary, right?" 

 

 

Hinampas ni Mommy si Mama sa braso tapos niya sabihin yun. She's... oh my goodness! Our parents are flirting?! 

 

 

"Shh, 'wag ka makikinig, hijo. Matanda na kasi yan kaya kung ano ano sinasabi." 
 

 

 

Kuya Yohan only laughed along Mama because of what Mommy said. Apparently, he's from a family of doctors. His father is a director sa isang malaking hospital sa Seoul, his mother has her own Dental Clinic in New York, his older sister is currently a resident doctor sa isang hospital sa Seoul din, and siya, he just started Med-School recently. 
 

 

Para namang approved na agad kay Mama si Kuya Yohan. Besides, kahit naman maging ayaw ni Mama sa kaniya, wala na siyang magagawa dahil first, Kuya Yohan has Mommy's approval. Second, Ate Zari will do anything just so they could end up together. Wala nang makakapigil, in other words. 
 

 


"So.. do you have anything scheduled tomorrow?" Mama suddenly asks. 

 

 

"Wala naman po, Tita. Baka mag-lunch lang po kami ni Zari tomorrow and maybe I'll accompany her too, kapag nagshopping po siya." 

 


 

Mama nodded, "Great. Zariah's shopping time can wait. You said you play golf, right? Want to try playing with us tomorrow?" 

 

 

"Hmm!" biglang singit ni Mom after placing her wine glass sa table. "That would be great! Do we have an appointment sa Dasmariñas tomorrow, Rence?" 

 

 

"Wala pero I can always call the OM and let him know na we're coming.." 

 

 

"Then call him!" 

 

 

"Akala ko ba pagod ka from our trip?" 
 

 

Palipat lipat ang tingin namin sa mga magulang namin. Since when did they become this.. casual with each other

 

 

"Yeah but this is the first time in a while that we're golfing as a family so what is pagod?" 
 

 

I blinked twice. I wanted to confirm if this is really happening! Mommy said family! 

 

 

OMG??? 

 

 

"I can make time po. Nothing's planned pa naman for tomorrow so, sure! Sama po ako mag golf." 

 

 

"Good. Kasi I would take back my approval if you declined." pagbibiro ni Mom. 

 

 

Dinner went well pero nagpa-iwan pa si Ate at Kuya since they will be having drinks with Kuya Kang. 

 

 

Kaya ako ngayon ang kasama ng parents ko sa sasakyan, on our way home. 
 

 

 

GC : Rence & Iana's Angels 😇

 

 

Ate Zari 👸: Watch them carefully pero wag ka pahalata!! Something must have happened in Batanes kaya they're acting that way ngayon. 

 

 

Kuya Yvo 🫅: Napaka-rupok naman pala ni Mom. 😂

 

 

Me : Of course! Just like you 

 

 

Kuya Yvo 🫅 : I'm not marupok. Kayo ni Ate Zari yun! 

 

Ate Zari 👸 : stop texting, Caleigh. Mommy will notice 

 

 

Me : you guys asked for an update?? lol 

 

 

"Stop texting, Xia. Nahihilo ako because of the light." Mommy's timing talaga! 
 

 

Sinarhan ko na agad ang phone ko and hid it sa bag ko before she finds out na naguusap kaming magkakapatid about their surprising behavior. Tumahimik na lang ako at sumandal. 

 

 

"You too, Florencia. Who are you texting this late? Kabit mo? Stop that." I saw how Mommy massaged her temple. "Gosh, parehong pareho kayo ng anak mo." 


 

 

"Wala akong kabit. That was the OM of the Golf Club. I told them to get things ready for us tomorrow." hindi na sumagot ulit si Mommy. Mama also hid her phone at tumahimik na lang until we arrived sa bahay. 

 

 

Late na din and I'm already pagod. Maaga daw kami aalis bukas. Excited na si Mommy kasi it's been a while na din since we last played golf. Very busy kasi siya sa States and she has no time for that. Buti talaga umuwi kami sa Pilipinas. 

 

 

"Anyone like coffee?" 
 

 

Mommy was already at the first step of the grand staircase when Mama said that. Nagkatinginan silang dalawa habang confused na confused nanaman ako sa nangyayari. 

 

 

Why are they... staring at each other like that.. 

 

 

I coughed. "I'd like a cup of coffee, please, Mama." I earned a nod and smile in return. 

 

 

Mama was still looking at her ex wife, waiting for an answer. 

 

 

"I'll just change. I'll be right back." Mommy's smile felt different. 

 

 

It was genuine and sweet. Now, Mama's even grinning pero binawi niya when she saw me staring at her with suspicious eyes. 
 

 

"Are you two..." tumawa na lang si Mama at hindi na sumagot. She made herself busy with the coffee she's about to roast at hindi na ako pinansin. 

 

 

What is happening! 
 


 

GC : Rence & Iana's Angels 😇

 

 

Ate Zari 👸 : omg ka, Xia! Learn to read the room! Let them enjoy coffee together, wag ka na mag third wheel. 

 

 

Kuya Yvo 🫅 : pano natin malalaman what's up with the two of them if Xia's not joining them? 

 

 

Ate Zari 👸 ; that can wait! Let them have this moment muna. Tell mama you're suddenly sleepy kaya aakyat ka na. But make sure Mommy's still in her room kasi baka mag back out siya kapag nalaman niya na you're sleeping na. 

 

Kuya Yvo 🫅 : That's right. Pauwi na din kami. Maybe maabutan namin sila na nagc coffee. I want them caught off guard. 😅

 

 

Me : kuya, it's not like they're doing something naman, 'no! Magc coffee lang naman sila. 


 

 

Ate Zari 👸 : di mo sure! 

 

Ate Zari 👸 : Yvo pakibilisan! Nilalamok na ako dito. My precious blood! 

 

 

Me : take care, sibs 💗
 


 

Yun na nga ang ginawa ko. Binilisan ko lang para hindi ako maabutan ni Mommy. It seemed like Mama knew what I was doing pero hindi na siya nagsalita. She just gave me a meaningful look bago tumawa at tumango noong nagpaalam ako sa kaniya. 
 

 

 

Sana naman di nila i-waste ang time to give each other another chance