II. Home

I Choose You


 

It was a long flight, pare-pareho kaming tulog the whole time. Nagising lang ako when the cabin crew told us that the Captain just announced that we will be landing shortly. 
 

 

Hindi na ako nagulat when I saw mommy in a different outfit. Ate was also retouching her makeup while teasing our mother. 
 

 

Ang lakas talaga ng topak ni Tatiana. Akala ko ba, ayaw niyang umuwi? 

 

 

"Are you a kpop idol and you even changed outfits? It's not like the paparazzi are waiting for us." 
 

 

 

"Honey, I am a Lardizibal. People from the business industry could recognize me. Even you. So go ahead and fix yourself, Caleigh." 

 

 

Ah, right. The Lardizibals. They are a family of generational wealth. They are in the real estate industry. It started with my great grandfather. The family is respected in the business. No one would dare touch our family because of the power our name holds. 

 

 

This is also the reason why my mother didn't give up on her surname when she got married. She told us na if she gives up on the name Lardizibal, she would also give up on the protection, security, and privileges along with it. Mama's family is also wealthy but the Lardizibals are on a different level. Kaya they talked about that before getting married and Mama agreed to take Mom's surname instead. So she became Mrs. Florencia Esquivel-Lardizibal. 

 

 

When ate was born, she was given the Lardizibal surname too. Pareho kami. Kuya was the only one who got Mama's last name because he's a man daw. Our parents somehow wanted the Esquivel line to continue kaya Kuya got it. 
 

 

 

Anyway, I got myself ready in no time, too. I already texted Mama and told her na we already landed. 

 

 

"Nandito na ba ang driver natin? Ayokong maghintay, mainit sa labas." 
 

 

"Yes, mom. Nandito na ang sundo natin." 

 

 

Mommy coughed. She looked nervous, halatang halata sa mukha. Natawa na lang tuloy kami ni Ate. Is she expecting na Mama's going to be here to pick us up? 


 

 

Well., she's right. 
 

 

 

"Xia, did you confirm our reservation sa Okada?" 
 

 

"Hmm.." I tried hard to stop myself from smiling. 
 

 

If it slips out of my tongue and mom finds out that we're staying in our house instead of the hotel, baka hindi na siya bumaba sa eroplanong ito at magpa-book ng flight pabalik sa SF, agad agad! 
 

 

Of course, ayaw namin mangyari yun. It's really hard to convince her kaya. 
 

 

"It's still so hot, wala pa din pinagbago." 

 

 

Paano ba naman kasi na hindi siya maiinitan. Mommy's wearing her favorite cardigan and fifted jeans along with it. Nakasuot pa ng elevated boots, sa Manila lang naman ang punta. Tapos magrereklamo sa init? 


 

 

"Then eat cucumbers para ma-refresh ka, mom." 

 

 

She gave me a death glare. Tumawa kami ni Ate. Mommy loathes cucumbers! I know that naman, I was just teasing her. 

 

 

"Yvo said that they are already waiting sa pick up area. They brought two cars." 

 

 

Just one glance and I already understood what ate was implying! 
 

 

Basta talaga sa kalokohan, mabilis kami magkaintindihan. 

 

 

Mommy knows na our staffs will be picking us up sa airport. Kaya inis na inis siyang naglalakad ngayon leaving both me and ate with the pushcarts for our luggages. She was expecting kasi na kapag labas namin ng plane, naghihintay na agad ang mga staff namin para i-assist kami. Hindi na kami nagpatulong sa airport staffs to save them trouble, kaya kaming dalawa ni Ate ang nagbitbit ng mga bagahe. 

 

 

We're too pretty to be our mother's assistant! 

 

 

Pagkalabas ng arrival area, kita ko na agad si Kuya Yvo. He's the tallest among us kasi kaya mabilis siya makita. He waved at Ate and I before proceeding to hug our gulat na gulat na mother. 
 

 

She said that she misses her son, too, but she greeted him with a, 

 

 

"Why are you here?" in her famous emotionless voice. 

 

 

My mother... I could only laugh. 

 

 

"Mama!" 
 

 

Both ate and I ran to the other person na kalalabas lang sa kaniyang mercedes benz suv. Mommy looked even more surprised when she saw her ex wife! Lumaki ang mata at napanganga. 
 

 

"Welcome home, Princesses." 
 

 

 

Nangiti na lang ako when she called us that. Ever since we were kids, Mama would always call us her Princesses. While Mommy is her Ice Queen. 
 


 

Yes.. Ice Queen.. 

 

 

"Zariah Giovanna..." her voice sounded authoritative, even glaring at ate, "Xia Caleigh..." 

 

 

"Gininaw ako bigla, Ma." mahinang tumawa si Mama na katabi na si Kuya ngayon. 
 

 

"Yvo Archibald!" papalit-palit ang tingin niya sa aming tatlo. "You three ganged up against me?" 
 

 

"Us four, actually.." Mama said with her soft voice, even displaying a smile in an attempt to melt the Ice Queen. 

 

 

"Tumahimik ka Esquivel, hindi ikaw ang kausap ko." 
 

 

Pigil na pigil kaming tatlo sa pagtawa. 
 

 

Yes, we're really back. 
 

 

It's not even a day since we arrived and nagtataray na agad si Mommy! 
 

 

"But we're Esquivels too.." napapikit na lang si mommy sa sagot na iyon ni Ate. Leaving with no other choice but accept the situation. 

 

 

Ang hindi niya alam, there's more into this. 
 

 

 

"Let's put everything sa SUV since I only brought a sedan." 
 

 

 

Nagkatinginan kami ni ate at mabilis na sumakay sa sedan, even locking the door so mom would have no choice but to ride with mama. 
 


 

Everything is planned, Tatiana. Wala ka nang magagawa! 

 

 

Tawa kami ng tawa ni Ate nang makita si Mommy na kinukulit na ang ex wife niya, possibly pinipilit to change the drivers para hindi sila ang magkasabay. Ulit ulit ang pag-irap niya habang si Mama ay nakangiti lang. 

 

 

She would always smile kahit sobra na ang topak ni mom. Maybe that's why tumagal sila. Kasi she never fought back, I never even heard her raise her voice kay mommy. That's how much she loves and respects her. 
 

 

Finally, Kuya and Mama finished loading our luggages sa SUV. Makakauwi na din kami, sa wakas. 

 

 

"So.. saan gustong pumunta ng mga prinsesa?" Kuya asked immediately after buckling his seatbelt. 

 

 

Ako ang nasa passenger seat at nasa likod si Ate, gusto niya pa daw kasi matulog. 

 

 

"Do we have a plan na I don't know?" I asked. 
 

 

 

"Wala naman. I just thought that maybe you want to leave them alone for a while muna? Para mas mainis si Mommy?" 

 

 

Sabay sabay kami natawa. 

 

 

"Mama cooked right?" Kuya nodded. "Then let's just buy coffee then uwi na tayo. Hindi natin sila pwede iwan ng matagal. Mommy could turn the mansion upside down." 
 


 

If there's one thing about Manila that will never change, it would be the traffic. Masyadong congested nang makababa kami sa skyway from the airport. Rush hour din kasi. 

 

 

We were waiting for our orders sa isang coffee shop malapit sa village namin when all three of us consecutively received calls and messages from Mommy, asking us where we are. 
 

 

 

I'm sure hindi na mapakali si Tatiana. 
 


 

"She's calling again.." sabi ni Kuya, hindi na matigil sa pagtawa. 

 

 

"Matagal pa ba orders natin? Heck, why is it taking them forever just for a few cups of coffee." 

 

 

Ate's been complaining na she's very hungry and sleepy tapos ang tagal pa ng coffee namin. I bet she's also worried about what's happening sa bahay kaya gusto niya na din umuwi. 

 

 

When we finally got our coffees, umuwi na kami agad. I gotta admit that I missed going home to this mansion. Looking at the designs from the other houses is therapeutic. 
 


 

Iba din ang pakiramdam ng bahay na ito talaga because our childhood memories are here. Memories of when we were still a complete family. I mean.. we still are. But it doesn't feel complete because we're separated and we live far from each other. 
 

 

 

Part of why we really pushed Mom to come home with us is because we want her to have the chance to fix and try again with Mama. 
 

 

 

The whole two years na I was with them, I noticed how Mom changed and would act tough to hide her loneliness and longing for her ex wife. Nagtataray lang yan lagi at nagp pretend na inis siya kay mommy, pero ilang beses namin siya nahuli na umiiyak sa kwarto in the middle of the night while staring at their pictures sa album niya.

 

 

So we wanted to take this chance.. to help our parents to rekindle their romance and make this family whole again. 

 

 

After all, we are stronger and happier as a family. 

 

 

Yes.. Mommy's being protected by her surname pero iba yung type of protection, peace, and security, more so, love, when Florence Esquivel is beside her. 

 

 

"Oh my goodness, please let my ears rest." sabi ni ate sa sarili dahil pagkababa namin ng sasakyan, rinig na agad namin ang boses ni Mommy. 

 

 

The helpers opened the double doors for us and we were welcomed by our parents.. mommy's bickering, rather. 
 

 

 

And Mama's right there. At her favorite spot, calmly listening as if her ex-wife's not spewing nonsense rants in front of her. 

 

 

What a sight. 

 

 

We're really home.