Pick Up

Swing!

While some may be destined to remain shining stars, others may fade like fireworks after the curtains fall and the audiences’ applause settles into silence – and Wonwoo was content in being the latter.

He was never a fan of the scorching stage lights, the ruthless ranking of talent, the banquets and bouquets. Jeon Wonwoo was simply a fan of the music.

Though, he has put such unpleasantries behind him. Now, Wonwoo can’t remember the last time he touched the keys of a piano.

He reminds himself that it’s better this way.

Wonwoo stares at the bulletin board of passive recruitment for clubs and teams at the university. Though not mandatory, he’s found himself bored in his apartment too often and figures joining a relaxed club wouldn’t hurt.

A jazz combo poster, a colourful flyer asking for relay runners, an infographic on why students should join an ongoing theatre production.

The poster for the AV club catches his eye – he likes the fonts they chose, and the open recruitment tells him they’re not looking to fulfill a certain role. So, he makes his way to Building B, which is emptier than he expected.

A good start, he thinks, he much prefers this part of the building far away from the seemingly always busy and bustling music department.

The window of the door is covered by posters, so he knocks.

“It’s open!” and Wonwoo opens the door, greeting quietly with a slight bow.

Assuming all people present were the entirety of the club, Wonwoo already likes how few there are.

“Oh, you’re a new face,” a boy says, giving Wonwoo a friendly smile.

“Looking to join?” he asks,

“Uh yeah,” Wonwoo starts,

“Figured I’d check it out, see if you guys are still accepting new members,”

“We are! Just interesting that someone would join midsemester,”

“Oh sorry, is that an issue?”

“No no,” and the young man laughs lightly and introduces himself as Seungcheol.

Wonwoo takes a mental note of the rest of the members - Minghao on the computer editing a photo, Soonyoung who was just sent on a snack run, Hansol sitting on the couch in the corner and beside him, Jeonghan going through photos.

“I’m Wonwoo,” he introduces,

“Cool. Why do you wanna join?” Jeonghan asks, looking up from the camera, and Wonwoo fumbles together an answer,

“Uh, I like taking photos I guess?”

“You guess?”

“Yeah, I like it-”

“Well, we do more than just snap photos on our phones to post on social media from time to time, you know that right?”

Wonwoo once again feels the scorching stage lights and all eyes on him.

“Stop that,” Seungcheol scolds with a light shove,

“He’s just joking, we’re not that serious around here,” he lets Wonwoo know with an apologetic smile,

“Ah sorry,” Jeonghan says with a childish grin,

“You looked like you could take the heat so I wanted to tease a little,” and Wonwoo lets out a strained chuckle.

“If he didn’t completely change your mind just now, we’d love to have you.” Seungcheol says and Wonwoo figures Jeonghan’s personality wasn’t bad.

 

Wonwoo’s first day consists of introductory stuff – the members tell him the club helps maintain the school’s blog, often collaborating with the media students for promotional, educational, and simply recreational videos and photos.

They also let him know the next event scheduled for their coverage is a performance of a small band from the university, taking place a week from today.

 

 

“Oh, Wonwoo!” Jeonghan calls out to him as Wonwoo approaches the live bar,

“You’re early,” he points out,

“Yeah, figured it’d be bad impression to be late as the newbie,” and Jeonghan waves it off,

“Seungcheol already told you, we’re not that serious.”

Wonwoo has learned that he doesn’t mind that Jeonghan treats him like they’re already close. Before that though, he learned that it wouldn’t change anything if he didn’t like it.

Jeonghan throws an arm around Wonwoo’s shoulders, the other arm extending a camera toward him,

“Have fun tonight, and if you see anything you think is worth capturing, do it,”

Wonwoo reluctantly takes the camera,

“Are you sure? I don’t need to, like, shadow anyone?”

“Sha-“ Jeonghan shakes his head and laughs,

“Have fun.” He pats Wonwoo’s shoulders,

“We’ll also be taking photos, so don’t worry. We help run a blog, the worst thing that can happen is your photos don’t get chosen,”

“I could break the camera.” And Jeonghan looks at him,

“Is that… Is that a threat?” and they both laugh. Wonwoo puts the camera strap around his neck.

“Seungcheol loves these nights so if you do break the camera, blame it on him when he gets drunk!” Jeonghan says as parting words, and he’s lost in the crowd inside before Wonwoo can ask about the special functions of the camera.

He’s figuring the buttons and settings out for himself when he hears rushed footsteps approaching him.

“Run, run, run, run!” is all Wonwoo hears, amidst laughter and probably some scolding that he can’t make out. A group of guys run past him, saying “excuse me, sorry,” as they speed by, a few of them carrying cases, then there’s a dull thud near Wonwoo’s feet.

He picks up a wallet with a small amused smile, and puts it in his pocket before heading inside.

The bar isn’t packed but it’s busy enough. There’s a pleasant buzz of conversation, alcohol, and music. The layout is built for live performances, with a stage in its center and surrounding low balconies for good views and better sound.

He spots Seungcheol with a drink already in his hand, and Jeonghan and Minghao right beside him. Soonyoung, who left a strong impression when he came back from that snack run to a new member, is a couple bar stools down, talking to the bartender with a smile.

Wonwoo says his greetings to his fellow members, each of them greeting him warmly, before making his way to the balconies.

Seeing a stage set up for a full band – albeit a small combo – was comforting. It felt full, busy, complete. Much better than the stages Wonwoo used to dread.

Apparently, this band – Tonics, they call themselves – is well known in and around the university. Wonwoo wonders if he would’ve heard of them if he didn’t avoid any hint of the music department like his wellbeing depended on it.

The musicians start taking the stage, each of them taking their places. The bassist and guitarist start tuning with assist from their pianist.

Wonwoo is taking photos of the young man tuning his saxophone, the all black alto caught his eye and, in turn, his lens.

Then, the drummer walks on.

He has his sticks in the back pocket of his black jeans, and he’s saying something to someone in the crowd with a smile as he sits on his stool.

All he’s doing is testing out the snare and Wonwoo is already taking photos.

“Wow.” Is all he whispers to himself with a slight scoff of almost disbelief.

The drummer has an undercut, his black hair gelled up and back with a couple strands in the front. Nothing special or unique, but it suits him really well, Wonwoo thinks.

All the Tonics members are in black but the drummer’s shirt fits him just right, he even folds up the sleeves as if short sleeves are going to get in the way of him drumming.

Wonwoo has never labelled himself as one to crush quickly, but attractiveness that blatant was undeniable.

“How we doin’ tonight!” the saxophonist says into the mic and there’s a roar of cheers as a response.

“Thanks for coming out tonight, we’re always excited to play for you guys,” he says, and when the second wave of applause settles down, he says,

“For those of you who don’t know, here’s the band.” And Wonwoo is oddly expectant to learn the drummer’s name.

“My name is Jihoon,” he says and plays a on his sax which is greeted with cheers, and he laughs.

He points to the bassist,

“That’s Chan,” and Chan follows suit with a bar or two of a groovy bass line accompanied with a dance move.

Each of the musicians get introduced with a name and a riff – Junhui on the keys, Joshua on the guitar, and Seokmin on the trumpet.

Before Jihoon can introduce the last member, there’s a crash of cymbals followed by melodic rhythm and cheers.

“I’m Mingyu!” the drummer shouts, arms in the air as he cheers alongside the crowd.

Wonwoo can already tell it’s going to be a good show – or at least better than the ones he participated in. These musicians look excited, happy, grateful to be on stage.

After some other words of introduction, the set begins.

Wonwoo had never really listened to jazz – he was classically trained, followed his scores with precision, and quickly lost comfort in music.

They look like they’re having so much fun and Wonwoo’s dragged along, finding himself tapping his foot to the beat.

The band plays a bunch of songs, each one flowing into the next. They interact with the crowd and each other and for the first time in a while, Wonwoo sees music for what it’s intended to be.

And as much as they all look in their element, Wonwoo just can’t stop looking at Mingyu.

His hair is a bit messier now, he tends to nod or shake his head to the music, he’s slightly sweaty and the stage lighting makes him glow.

He smiles a lot, smirks even more, scrunches his nose when s have a good solo or when he plays a difficult rhythm. He looks like he was made for the stage.

Mingyu is in the middle of a solo, his head is low and eyes focused as he plays – even Wonwoo appreciates the smart use of straight rhythm on top of the established groove.

Ah, Wonwoo thinks, this is it.

 

The set ends with a melodic crash of the instruments accompanied by a drum fill and there’s a moment of silence before the bar erupts in cheers.

All the members are saying their thanks’ to the crowd with bows and smiles.

Wonwoo makes his way down, finding the club members close to the stage. They’re talking to some of the Tonics members as they pack up their equipment, and they spot Wonwoo.

“Oh, there he is,” and Jeonghan jogs to meet Wonwoo,

“This is our new member!” he introduces, and all of them look at Wonwoo.

“Oh, from the balcony,” Mingyu says.

“Hm?” Jihoon says, confused,

“He was watching from the balcony,” he clarifies, wrapping a TRS cable around his arm,

“Yeah,” Wonwoo figures it’d be weird to not comment now.

“I wanted to get a good view for photos,” he gestures to the camera,

“But you guys were just a lot of fun to watch,” and the Tonics say their thanks.

“Is this your first show?” Junhui asks, and Wonwoo nods.

“Hopefully won’t be your last!” Mingyu comments, and Jihoon looks at him, curiously.

“Oh! Right,” Wonwoo says, reaching into his pocket. He had nearly forgotten,

“This dropped while you guys were running in, I don’t know whose it is,” Wonwoo said, extending the wallet and the Tonics pat their pockets.

“Oh,” Mingyu says, continuing to pat his pockets in surprise, and Jihoon shares a look with Jeonghan.

“I didn’t even notice it dropped,” he makes his way toward Wonwoo.

Because Mingyu was sitting for basically all of the set and Wonwoo was sitting in the balcony, he didn’t realize how tall Mingyu was. He looks even better up close, Wonwoo thinks.

“Thank you,” he says, accepting the wallet and Wonwoo just nods.

Everyone else has broken up into pairs of conversation, and none of s are looking his way. Wonwoo searches for words to say, looking around the bar for any prompts.

“Did you enjoy the show?” Mingyu asks, and Wonwoo looks up at him.

“Yeah,” he starts,

“Yeah, I’ve never been to any shows like it,” Wonwoo has a small smile,

“The stage suits you.” and Mingyu stares at him.

“Oh,” he says, slightly flustered,

“That’s- that’s such a nice thing to say,” he adds, with light laughter.

“It’s the truth,” Wonwoo assures,

“You- well, all of you guys – but you look really happy performing.” And Mingyu’s smile gets wider.

“Thank you.” He says, sincerely.

“Did you need any help with the stuff, by the way?”

“Ah, no it’s okay, we can handle it” And Wonwoo nods before they settle into silence.

Wonwoo wants to keep the conversation going a bit longer, but Soonyoung interrupts.

“Wonwoo, we’re gonna help them load their cars and then have some drinks!” he notifies, and Wonwoo watches Soonyoung go help Jihoon with his sax cases.

“You gonna stay?” Mingyu asks, walking toward his kit and Wonwoo naturally follows.

He’s disassembling the cymbals as Wonwoo hums in thought, and before he can verbalize an answer, he’s already yawning.

Mingyu gives an amused laugh,

“Maybe next time then,” he offers, and Wonwoo’s thankful.

“What was your name again, by the way? I didn’t hear it the first time,”

“Wonwoo,” he says, “Jeon Wonwoo.”

“Jeon Wonwoo,” Mingyu tests with a nod,

“Mingyu,” and he extends his hand,

“Kim Mingyu,” he echoes with a wink and they laugh.

Wonwoo figures he’ll say his goodbyes to the group, handing Jeonghan back the camera, and being haggled to just stay. He’s let go only with the promise of coming to their next show, and he wishes them all a fun night.

Mingyu offers to walk him out, and they compromise by Wonwoo helping him bring some cymbals to his car.

“Get home safe, Jeon Wonwoo!” Mingyu says after thanking him.

He even offers him a ride but Wonwoo assures he’s fine to go alone and often enjoys the walk home.

Wonwoo finds himself humming to tunes he heard tonight and can’t help but remember how Mingyu looked during his solo.

 

The next day, Wonwoo’s reading a book on his couch when his phone dings. He was going to ignore it; he had been looking forward to using his weekend to catch up on this novel. But it relentlessly dings and dings and dings.

Yoon Jeonghan: Wonwoo

Yoon Jeonghan: Ya

Yoon Jeonghan: Wonwoo

Wonwoo thinks, of course, upon seeing the contact name.

Wonwoo: ?

Yoon Jeonghan: did you have a hard time working the camera?

Wonwoo: No it was okay

Wonwoo: Did I mess up a setting?

Yoon Jeonghan: No, that’s not it

Yoon Jeonghan: you

Yoon Jeonghan: You only took 1 photo of them performing

And Wonwoo becomes conscious of last night, quickly typing,

Wonwoo: Oh

Wonwoo: Oh yeah, I got distracted

Yoon Jeonghan: and its just of Mingyu

Before Wonwoo can clarify,

Yoon Jeonghan: distracted by Mingyu ???

Along with a giggling emoji and Wonwoo thinks it suits him.

Yoon Jeonghan: Just teasing its a really good photo

Wonwoo: Sorry I didn’t take more

Yoon Jeonghan: No thats okay!

Yoon Jeonghan: We’ll probably use yours as the header of the article ok? Come to the club room Monday thnx bye!

And Wonwoo doesn’t bother answering, figuring he won’t get an answer to his questions anyway. He puts down his phone and book and just stares at the wall.

It shouldn’t be embarrassing – he was a photographer for the night, but when it’s just one single photo he can’t help but wonder how that looks. He tells himself that Mingyu was worth photographing in that moment, and that was it. Though, he can’t deny he’s also worth photographing under dim bar lights, laughing at s, disassembling his kit, walking him out of the bar.

 

Monday comes quick and after one of his afternoon lectures, Wonwoo makes his way to the club room.

“Wonwoo-ya!” Jeonghan greets, and Wonwoo says his hellos to the other members in the room.

“Here’s your first official run as an AV member,”

“Careful,” Soonyoung warns,

“Once they start you on those, you’ll be doing snack runs instead of actually helping,”

“That is helping,” Seungcheol tells him, and the group laughs.

“Plus, I’m not sending him on a snack run, it’s a delivery,” Jeonghan says, walking towards Wonwoo with a stack of papers.

He hands them to him,

“Do you know where the music department is?” and Wonwoo suddenly has a hard time swallowing.

“Yeah,” he eventually says, reluctantly accepting the stack.

“These are just some potential flyers, and other paperwork stuff for that band. There shouldn’t be anyone there though, it’s practically dead on Mondays,” and Wonwoo finds relief in that.

He knows it’s not the end of the world to just go there. He also knows he’s probably not as important as he thinks – he could very well be a no one to anyone there. But that sliver of chance that someone knows who he is enough to make him think about asking another member to do it.

“You can leave it near the music office if no one’s there!” Jeonghan tells him and Wonwoo nods and heads to the door.

After all, all these unresolved feelings were no one’s problems but Wonwoo’s.

When you avoid something for so long, the memories of that thing are prone to distortion and alteration, often to continue giving you reason to avoid it.

So, Wonwoo stands there – realizing that this part of the building was still just walls, doors, and rooms that, without him giving it reason, didn’t mean anything more than bricks, cement, and wood.

Jeonghan’s right, there’s no one here, even the administrator is seemingly gone for a break and “will be back in 5 minutes” according to the sign on their desk. Wonwoo’s about the leave the folder in the basket for files when he hears a faint rhythm.

His own curiosity surprises him as he wanders away from the office and to the hallway that’s lined with practice rooms. It’s familiar enough for him to slow his cadence, but foreign enough that curiosity keeps him moving forward. With the assumedly only staff member absent, Wonwoo figures his biggest fear isn’t there.

The drumming gets louder as he walks, and finally gets to one of the larger band rooms at the end of the hall.

He peeks in, and only then realizes the possibility of it not being the only drummer he knows.

Luckily though, Mingyu is there, repeating a rhythm in a room big enough for the band. He shakes his head as he messes up, on what exactly Wonwoo doesn’t know, but he furrows his brows as he repeats it.

Before Wonwoo can sneak away, Mingyu looks up after successfully correcting the rhythm and makes eye contact through the window on the door. Mingyu looks just as surprised as Wonwoo is flustered but it quickly turns into a smile as he sets his sticks down and jogs toward the door.

“Jeon Wonwoo,” he says, leaning on the door frame and smiling down at Wonwoo.

He’s wearing a simple white tee with black cargos, his hair is down and slightly covers his eyes.

“Hi,” Wonwoo says back with an awkward smile,

“Special delivery?” Mingyu asks, nodding toward the folder in Wonwoo’s hand,

“Oh yeah,” and he hands it to him,

“Jeonghan asked me to come find you,” Wonwoo says and Mingyu accept the papers.

“Are you practicing alone?” Wonwoo asks,

“Yeah, I was just trynna figure out some rhythm before our next band practice… Have you been in the rooms before?” and Wonwoo shakes his head.

“Wanna see? They’re kinda cool,” Mingyu invites, and opens the door wider for Wonwoo to talk through.

The inside is nice – this room has a wall of windows that look out to the rest of campus. There are music stands, a whiteboard, a keyboard, several amps, and chairs available for use. Mingyu naturally makes his way back to his kit, and Wonwoo follows, sitting on an amp close to Mingyu.

“Pretty cool,” Wonwoo says with a nod and they laugh.

“Do you practice alone a lot?” and Mingyu hums in thought,

“I think I practice the average amount for someone in our major,”

“It looks really effortless when you play,” Wonwoo comments,

“Like I didn’t know any of the songs at your show, but… It looked really fun.” He says with a small smile and Mingyu admires it.

“It is,” and Mingyu gets up,

“Do you wanna try?” he asks, extending the sticks to Wonwoo,

“Oh no, no I’d ,”

“Have you tried before?”

“No,”

“No harm in trying,” Mingyu prompts, nudging the sticks closer.

“I’m probably the nicest teacher you’ll get,” and Wonwoo laughs,

“I’m serious, music teachers are like chefs, they’re always angry at something,” and they laugh. Wonwoo sighs and figures it’s not a piano, so what’s the harm?

Wonwoo sits behind the kit with Mingyu standing behind him. He shows him how to properly grip the sticks, where to put his feet for the kick and hi-hat, and gives a basic rundown of what each part sounds like.

“I call the kick ‘Boong’,” Mingyu says, and Wonwoo turns to look at him.

“What?”

“Its name, it’s ‘Boong’,” and Wonwoo can’t help but smile,

“You name your kit parts?”

“Of course,” Mingyu says, looking almost offended Wonwoo would ask such a question.

“Even the sticks,” and Wonwoo laughs at that one.

“Okay, if you laugh that hard, I won’t bother introducing you…” and they both laugh.

Mingyu naming his kit parts is fitting of him, and now Wonwoo’s curious as to what the rest are named. Hopefully, he gets the chance to find out. After a minute or two of Wonwoo adjusting his posture and footing, he exhales.

“I’m so scared I’m gonna break something,” Wonwoo admits and Mingyu laughs,

“You haven’t played anything but I can absolutely guarantee whatever you play, my kit has endured worse,” and Wonwoo laughs too.

He gets in position and Mingyu says,

“Do you mind?”

“Hm?”

“Your elbow is positioned a little weird, do you mind if I- I can just explain it to you,” and Wonwoo shakes his head,

“No, go ahead,” and Mingyu nods before going behind him and reaching to correct his arms.

“Relax a little?” he asks, and Wonwoo loosens his shoulders,

“Perfect,” Mingyu says, and then places gentle hands on Wonwoo’s wrists,

“Sorry,” Wonwoo says, slightly embarrassed,

“For? You’re doing fine,”

“I just get hand tremors sometimes, sorry,” and becoming conscious of it causes the stick to shake more noticeably now.

“Hey,” Mingyu looks at him,

“It’s okay. Nothing to be sorry for, I just don’t want you to strain your hands,” and his voice is comforting and genuine.

“Relaxing your wrists can do wonders in the long run, also helps with keeping up with fast tempos,” he informs, and Wonwoo agrees that Mingyu is the nicest teacher he’s had.

“Okay!” Mingyu says, backing off and stepping back.

“Play anything,” and Wonwoo lightly hits the snare then looks back at Mingyu.

“Preferably more than a single beat, but I’ll take what I can get,” and they laugh as Wonwoo gets an almost nostalgic thrill.

His eyes settle on the sheet music in front of him, and he figures he’ll follow that – or at least what he can understand from it. He doesn’t know what note is connected to what part, so he sticks to the kick and snare. Wonwoo’s grateful it’s a rather simple rhythm in the beginning, and he gets through three bars before he awkwardly ends with a tap of the hi-hat, then nervously turns to look at Mingyu.

Mingyu stares at him, mouth slightly open and curved up into a smile. He gives a clap and cheer, and Wonwoo thinks this is the worst he’s played but the best he’s felt.

“What the Hell, can you read music? Have you played before?!” and there’s a familiar sparkle in his eyes, the same from the stage when he himself is playing.

“I can’t read drum sheet music, I just guessed what to hit,”

“You got the rhythm basically right,” Mingyu says, genuinely impressed.

“You just needa swing,” he adds and Wonwoo looks at him.

“You play your eighths straight but jazz is about that groove,” and he tries to give an example and Wonwoo holds back a laugh,

“Okay, I can’t beatbox but,” and Mingyu once again gently grabs Wonwoo’s hand, guiding it to the cymbal and playing out some swung eighths.

“This,” he says,

“It’s the basic groove of jazz.” and Wonwoo mimics the rhythm even as Mingyu lets go.

Mingyu watches him with a proud smile, nodding his head as Wonwoo swings the rhythm. Awkwardly, sure, but Wonwoo can’t deny there’s something almost liberating about not having to worry about straight eighths.

“I gotta watch out for you now,” and Wonwoo looks at him questionably,

“What if you steal my Tonics position…”

“Oh yeah, I’m definitely qualified, you haven’t even heard my triplets yet,” Wonwoo replies with a cool shrug and Mingyu laughs.

Mingyu’s smile is bright, and Wonwoo feels almost undeserving. If he knew what he thought about music, he wonders if Mingyu would smile the same.

Wonwoo startles when the door swings open,

“Oh my God, there you are!” Jeonghan exclaims, then his eyes go back and forth between Mingyu and Wonwoo.

Wonwoo stands up from the kit,

“We thought you got lost, Seungcheol sent me after you ‘cause I was the one that sent you,” Jeonghan explains,

“Oh no, I just found Mingyu like you told me to,” Wonwoo says, pleading Jeonghan with his eyes and after a second of thinking, Jeonghan gives a mischievous smile.

“Ah,” he says,

“I’m glad you found him,” and Jeonghan nods at Mingyu, then looks back at Wonwoo,

“Just like I asked you to.” And Wonwoo gives Mingyu back the sticks,

“Mingyu-ya, tell Jihoon to go over those papers then give the rest to admin, okay?” and Mingyu nods,

“Thanks for letting me play,” Wonwoo says awkwardly, and Mingyu enthusiastically tells him,

“Come join me anytime!” and Wonwoo ignores Jeonghan staring at him in amusement.

“Oh, Mingyu!” Jeonghan says as they’re almost out the door,

“You’re the cover for the next article,” and Wonwoo can feel his ears getting red

“Again?!”

“Your face attracts fans, it’s strategy not flattery,” Jeonghan replies and Mingyu mocks him with a childish face and tells him to leave, but quickly assures Wonwoo with a kind smile it wasn’t directed at him.

 

They’re walking down the hall, and Jeonghan inhales,

“Don’t.” Wonwoo cuts him off and Jeonghan laughs,

“I didn’t say anything!” and they continue to walk in silence for a few minutes.

“So, what were you doing for like half an hour? I sent you on a simple drop off, then suddenly the club is blaming me for losing our newest member,”

“Just talking and stuff,” Wonwoo says,

“Learning the drums, I guess,” he says, tempted to even laugh at himself.

“He’s cute, isn’t it?” Jeonghan says and Wonwoo turns to look at him, eyes wide.

“He’s single, by the way,”

“That’s surprising,” Wonwoo comments quietly,

“But it’s true. I’ve known him for 3 years and he’s been single the entire time,” and that makes Wonwoo stop walking. He looks at Jeonghan suspiciously,

“3 years? Single? Him?” and Jeonghan laughs,

“I don’t know if you can tell, but music is all he thinks about.” And Wonwoo can see that being true.

Jeonghan lets out a satisfied sigh and hooks a comfortable arm around Wonwoo,

“I think we’ve grown closer from this.” He says and Wonwoo wants to be annoyed but he just lightly pushes Jeonghan while smiling at the ground.

 

Once home and alone, once without the pleasant sounds of the AV club, or the jazz melodies of the Tonics room, Wonwoo’s once again faced with blaring silence. He sits down on his couch, looks down at his hands and tries to replicate the swung rhythm.

His feelings toward music were something he had yet to come to a firm conclusion about. There were certain elements he knew for sure – like how he never wants to compete again, how he doesn’t want to play classical piano again, and how his relationship with music and his family is altered forever.

These are all solid conclusions that haven’t changed in years, since he decided to quit music and step away from the classical world where his name was growing larger and larger.

But as for music itself, he still doesn’t know. Because when he sees music through people like the Tonics – through someone like Mingyu – Wonwoo gets this yearning to be able to experience music like that just one more time.

He closes his eyes and exhales, lifting and gently lowering his hands in neutral position on imaginary keys.

But once again, he finds himself imagining that final competition stage that would mark the last time he performed. The stage lights, the tremble of his hands, the murmurs of the crowd that he could just tell were mocking him, laughing at his increasingly apparent downfall.

He opens his eyes slowly and lets his arms fall to his sides before letting out a heavy sigh. He scoffs at himself for thinking change could possibly come this quickly. Reminds himself that his place now – in the AV club and a growing fan of the Tonics – is enough. In fact, probably more fulfilled than he’s been in years, and he reminds himself to not get greedy.

Wonwoo goes to his room and figures he’ll do some homework later, and settles for picking up a new novel. When he’s reading, the silence isn’t so loud after all.

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Let me know any thoughts in the comments, they're my favourite part of writing (:

To those seeing the boys on the BeTS tour, please have lots of fun and be safe!

- DAZE