To Know A Name

The Grim Reaper's Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Only quiet did Minho come down the stairs. He could hear Taemin already busy in the kitchen. He swallowed hard and dared to go down the remaining stairs. Little Kkoong was sleeping on the sofa, curled up into a little ball. After yesterday's events, Minho could not go back to sleep, nor did he want to. He sat outside Taemin's father's bedroom door all night, waiting to see if the shadow monster would come back.

 

However, nothing else happened that night. Minho was grateful for that, because what could he, as a normal human being, do against something like that? Would he have known what to do even as an angel of death? This shadow, in his whole existence as an angel of death, he had never experienced anything like it. Of course, he heard stories here and there, but it was never more than that. Fairy tales, so that angels of death would do their work.

 

Minho knocked twice on the door frame before he entered the kitchen "Hey." he said softly, his gaze locked on Taemin. He managed to release his held breath as Taemin turned to him with a wide smile.

 

"It's nice to make breakfast for two people again." Taemin said and returned his attention to the omelette.

 

Minho sat down at the kitchen table, not taking his eyes off Taemin for a second. Had he really been oblivious to all what had happened last night, or was he just a good actor? The shadow, Minho believed, had come from Taemin's bedroom. But what did the son hoped to gain by taking his own father's life?

 

Minho's shoulders clenched. Had he just been lucky that the shadow had not come to him? Could he have been dead now? No...no. It had to be something else. When the shadow had his chance to attack him, he had spared him. But why?  

 

Something tugged at Minho's trouser leg.

"Finally!" he whispered down to Jonghyun, who was now back inside the little cat. "We need to talk!"

"You can say that again." Jonghyun's gaze slid to Taemin, who was still preparing breakfast. "But alone!"

 

Minho took the ball of fur in his arms and slipped into the bathroom. The door was not quite locked when Jonghyun began to speak.

"Did he tell you his grandfather's name?" began Jonghyun, without wasting any more time.

Minho paused for a moment.

"No, why?" Minho did not understand why Jonghyun's voice also sounded agitated. Last night, Jonghyun wasn't there, so why was he so nervous? Minho wasn't sure if he wanted to know.   

"His name was Shim Changmin, he has a son. Baekhyun. But he...has been in a coma for years."

"I know that, Taemin is taking care of him." Minho said. He tried to gain composure, because this was nothing new for him. Perhaps, he hoped, his imagination was playing tricks on him because of everything that had happened last night.

 

Slowly, without averting his trembling gaze from Minho, Jonghyun shook his head. "Baekhyun was hit by a car when he was seventeen." Jonghyun explained, his voice becoming more thoughtful with each word.

"He is not Taemin's father. He never had children."

 

Minho had forgotten what it felt like when the heart stopped for a moment. It ached. Brutally and without any hesitation, it was torn out of all its roots. Not only was a gaping hole left, but the broken sides where it was torn off bled relentlessly. And for a fleeting second, he thought he might lose his senses. How could that be? He sat on the edge of the bathtub and his face.

 

"! ! !"

 

If this wasn't Taemin's family, then who were they? And who…no, what the hell was Taemin? The people at the funeral service, they knew Taemin. But why? Was he adopted? No, it was something else.

Minho couldn't help thinking of the photos of Taemin and his grandfather, something about them wasn't right, but what was it?

 

"There's something else..." said Jonghyun quietly. He didn't want to overwhelm Minho, but he deserved the whole truth, no matter how unpleasant it was. With a steady gaze, he looked up at Minho.

 

Minho didn't know if he could take any more. It was all too confusing for him now. His Taemin would never steal other people's souls. His Taemin who always made stupid jokes and laughed the loudest at them. His Taemin who was always losing his things like a little scatterbrain. But Minho couldn't stop Jonghyun from saying the next words. 

 

"Taemin's grandfather...he...he was Key's last mission. But neither Key, nor the man's soul could I find in the Never Realm. There is no record of a soul transfer. And you know Key is very careful." He finished. He sniffled lightly as he ended the sentence.

 

Minho's breathing became rapid, his limbs froze, but he himself became quite calm. After the room had turned, it stood still. No movement, no glow, no single particle was perceived by Minho any more. He nodded slowly. His gaze, initially blank, settled on Jonghyun. Determined and unwavering.

 

"Take me to Death." He said calmly and considered, as if he had found the one solution.

"What?" The cat's hair stood on end. "First of all, you can't go there! You're a human now, remember?" spoke Jonghyun frantically. "And second, we have other problems now than-"

"I know where Key is."

 

Silence.

 

Both stared at each other without blinking. Minho had to hold on to that thought. It was the only thing that made sense. If he moved now, everything would be lost. Then his rational mind would kick in again and he wouldn't believe it himself anymore. And Jonghyun, in who hope was now sprouting. Hope that he knew Minho would never jeopardise. It might have been the very Grim Reaper that brought Minho from the world of the living to the Never Realm back then, but it was Jonghyun who had taught Minho everything.

 

And it was Jonghyun to whom Minho first confided why he wanted to become an angel of death and not immediately return to the world of the living. He wanted to be the one to show Taemin the way to the Never Realm. He wanted it to be him who Taemin would see first after a long and fulfilled life, even if it had to take place without Minho. That way Taemin wouldn't be afraid to die, wouldn't be afraid to be alone. So Taemin knew that Minho had always been waiting for him and that he was never alone.

 

Jonghyun's heart was pounding, still. But now out of hope. He hadn't heard from his partner in days. How could Minho know where he was? Could he trust Minho, or was this just a way to get him to the Grim Reaper?

But no. Jonghyun looked deep into Minho's eyes. He knew Minho. And even though he knew Minho would do anything to get Taemin back, he would never sacrifice him and Key for that.

 

"If I do that, I want the reports asap though!" the cat said, eyes sparkling.

"Take us to the old bastard." Minho took the cat in his arms and it. Jonghyun was trembling.

"I will lose my job..."

 

He looked up at Minho with wide eyes. He didn't know

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter