Chapter 17

Watch The Queen Conquer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was only a week later when it all came crashing down. Lisa had messaged her after slipping out of the palace through the tunnels, assuring her that she’d keep searching, although Chaeyoung gave her a thinly veiled warning about poking around in the royal family of Gutrin, worrying that she’d accidentally dig something up on Joohyun. After that, she’d enjoyed the rest of their trip up in Moonstone palace, and by the time they got back to Sunstone palace in Glaston City, winter had fully arrived and they came back to a palace decked out with decorations for the holidays and the smell of pine and cinnamon filling the hallways.

 

Filled with relief at being home, Chaeyoung fell back into the piles of work, making final preparations for her Christmas party in two weeks time, as well as the half a dozen events that she was obligated to attend. She was so busy that any thoughts of checking in on Lisa went out of her mind. She barely had time to spend with Joohyun, who was growing increasingly moodier as her stomach grew and the baby started moving, proving to be far more active than the one Chaeyoung was carrying. That week passed by in a blur, and after a night at the Glaston City Symphony Orchestra, listening to the performance from their private box, Chaeyoung was looking forward to an early night. She hadn’t even made it out of her elegant silk dress before Joohyun strode into the bathroom, her reflection in the mirror pale and wide-eyed.

 

“What is it?” Chaeyoung absentmindedly asked, pulling jewelled hair pins out of her curls and setting them down on the marble countertop.

 

“Seonho just messaged me. Lisa’s being detained by Homeland Security in Gutrin. She’s been caught hacking into my family’s private information and is insisting she has diplomatic immunity,” Joohyun tensely explained.

 

Chaeyoung felt her stomach turn and the blood drain from her face as she stiffened in front of the mirror. And then she turned around, brushing past Joohyun in a hurry, stumbling slightly as she struggled to get her heels off. “, , .”

 

“Chaeyoung? What’s going on?”

 

“Sooyoung? Yerim?” Chaeyoung called out, ignoring her wife’s questions as she trailed after her.

 

Yerim opened the door to their bedroom, dipping into a curtsy as she gave Chaeyoung an expectant look, politely trying not to stare as she watched the queen strip down to her underwear. Tossing the blue dress aside, Chaeyoung gave her assistant orders to clear her private jet to fly as soon as possible, before disappearing into her closet and rifling through her clothes. It was cold so she settled on a trim pair of slacks and a thick knitted sweater over a freshly ironed shirt. It hid her bump well but she could feel the strange lurching motion as the baby moved inside her, and had to fight back a wave of nausea. She was unsure whether it was because of the baby or the fact that her plans were about to vanish down the drain. Beneath her worry, there was a flicker of anger, and she yanked a coat off a hanger and slipped it on, turning to find Joohyun standing in the doorway of the closet, arms folded across her chest. She was still wearing the plum coloured dress she’d worn to the symphony.

 

“Chaeyoung,” she firmly said.

 

Crossing over to her, Chaeyoung cupped her face in her palms, giving her a pleading look. “We can talk when I get back. Please, Joohyun, just … I have to go and sort this out. I love you.”

 

She kissed her quickly, her hand briefly cupping her stomach, and then she was gone, leaving Joohyun spluttered protests behind her. Wincing at the thought of the conversation they’d have later - probably tomorrow, by the time she got back - Chaeyoung slipped out into the hallway and her night guards fell into step behind her. She set a brisk pace through the palace, and a tired looking Goeun, who had just knocked off for the night, met her in the foyer, dipping her head in a respectful nod as she took her customary place behind Chaeyoung. Wherever Chaeyoung went, so did she.

 

The main doors to the west courtyard were pulled open by two uniformed guards standing to attention, and Chaeyoung turned to look at Yerim, who had followed after her, carrying her bag and shifting her schedule around for her in the morning as she plied Chaeyoung with questions about how long she would be and who had priority when rearranging meetings. Taking her bag, Chaeyoung gave her a stern look.

 

“Make sure the princess gets some rest and don’t let her leave the palace tonight,” Chaeyoung ordered her, and Yerim quickly nodded.

 

Without another word, she was walking down the steps, her retinue of guards closing in around her as the biting wind tugged at her coat, and she was ushered into the back of a waiting car. Hot air blew out of the vents and Goeun settled down onto the leather seats across from her, as serious looking as ever, and Chaeyoung let her head fall back against the headrest, her eyes closing as she ed her coat and rested a hand on her bump. She was nearing five months, and it was a relief to be halfway done with it, although she’d never be ungrateful enough to say that she was tired of being pregnant. With all of the struggles to get her there, she was just praying that she could keep everything together for a few more months. It occurred to her that perhaps she was being a little overbearing with the security and worrying, and she was even more worried about Joohyun than herself, but she couldn’t help herself. And with Lisa being detained, it felt like all of her hard work was about to become undone. Or Lisa had stumbled upon something she wasn’t supposed to.

 

The city flew past her window in a blur of bright lights and darkness, and soon enough she was at the private airstrip where her jet was stored. The door was open and she climbed the rickety metal steps and stepped into the luxurious interior, greeting her pilot and taking a seat in her favourite spot. Her guards crowded in after her, hulking figures in black suits taking up various positions at the far end of the plane, and the door was sealed shut a few minutes later. It was a cold night with an edge to the wind, and Chaeyoung shivered as the cold seemed to seep into the plane, the air cold as cool air filtered into the pressurised cabin. She buckled her seatbelt and tried to relax in her chair, tilting her head back and taking shallow breaths as she focused on loosening up her hunched shoulders. The sound of the turbines whirring made her look out the window at the inky blackness, lit up by the beacons lighting the runway, and a few minutes later they were in the air.

 

She was restless the whole flight. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t sleep, although she spied a few of her bodyguards resting their eyes from their seats. Making five trips to the bathroom and eating four packets of salted peanuts, she was feeling crabby as they started to descend into Mercer City. The lights spread out below them, a yellow glow as the network of street lamps and roads becoming distinguishable as they dropped down. The touchdown was gentle, jostling her slightly in her seat, and Chaeyoung was off the plane a few minutes later, finding another car waiting for her to take her straight to the palace.

 

Yerim had called ahead to announce her visit, and she was immediately cleared to enter within the walls of the palace as soon as they reached the gates, and a side door was standing open, spilling warm light across the steps as an attendant waited for her arrival. She quickly strode across the courtyard, inclining her head to the waiting man, and swept down the carpeted hallway in as much of a regal manner as she could bear after the uncomfortable flight and her troubling thoughts. She’d only been to the palace a few times, so she let the man direct her, and a few minutes later they approached a pair of double doors, which were opened as she was announced.

 

“Seonho,” Chaeyoung politely greeted Seonho as she was shown into a sitting room he was relaxing in, looking tired at the lateness of the hour, but no less composed in his sharp suit.

 

“Chaeyoung,” he said, climbing to his feet and walking over to her, giving her a courteous peck on the cheek, before pulling back. “You’re looking well. How’s the baby? And my dear sister? She didn’t come with you?”

 

He placed a gentle hand against her back and gestured towards one of the sofas, guiding her over to it and taking a seat on the across from her once she was settled. Despite the tension between Joohyun and her family, Chaeyoung knew that she was at least somewhat fond of her brother, and Seonho had never been anything but welcoming to her on the rare occasion that their paths crossed, and Chaeyoung felt at ease in his presence, even if the troubling thoughts of Lisa hung over her head.

 

“She’s well, and so are the babies,” she replied, “ and I thought it was best to come alone.”

 

He nodded thoughtfully, glancing down at his watch. “My mother should be joining us in a moment. Shall we have some tea?”

 

It wasn’t so much a question, but a courtesy, and a moment later he had rung a small bell and told the butler that stepped into the room and bowed to bring tea for three. They made idle chit chat for a few minutes, talking about matters of politics or social events while they waited for Yujin to join them, but Chaeyoung could feel the tension growing the longer they pretended that she wasn’t there for Lisa.

 

The door opened and they both looked over to watch as Yujin swept in, looking as haughty as ever as she gave Chaeyoung a polite nod and took a seat beside her son, her sharp eyes trained on her daughter-in-law. Murmuring a greeting, Chaeyoung stayed silent until the tea arrived a heartbeat later and was set down on the low, mahogany coffee table separating them. Seonho reached forward and poured the three of them tea, offering a plate of biscuits to Chaeyoung, which she refused - she already felt like she was going to be sick - and they sat in silence for a few more moments. Nursing her cup of tea in her lap, Chaeyoung gently cleared , giving Yujin a hard look. She knew who was really in charge here, and who knew the ins and outs of the entire royal family and other political agreements. As far as Chaeyoung was aware, Seonho was too busy wooing other women and enjoying his parties to care much about his country, so she would be dealing with Yujin.

 

“I came to bring my bodyguard back with me, if you’d be so kind as to turn her over to my custody,” Chaeyoung quietly explained.

 

“Ex,” Yujin said with a slight smile, “ex-bodyguard. And ex-fiancee to your sister. Which begs the question what is she doing with diplomatic immunity, and why did Homeland Security catch her hacking into the palace’s private network and going through private documents? As I understand it, she was looking through financial records.”

 

Mouth going dry, Chaeyoung took a quick gulp of scalding tea to try and steel herself, before she gave Yujin a cool look and raised her chin imperceptibly. “Because I asked her to.”

 

Seonho cocked his head to the side, a confused look on his face as he looked back and forth between the two women. Turning to look at him, Yujin murmured something too quiet for Chaeyoung to hear, and he tried to protest but ultimately gave in to his mother’s wishes, setting his tea down and climbing to his feet. Kissing Yujin on the cheek, he rounded the coffee table and stooped down to kiss Chaeyoung on the cheek as well, giving her a charming smile.

 

“Take care of yourself, and make sure my sister does as well. You should consider visiting in the new year.”

 

She made a vague sound of agreement, wishing him a goodnight, before she was left alone with Yujin. Swallowing thickly, Chaeyoung leant forward and set her tea down on the coffee table, knowing that the polite conversation was over, and the shrewd Queen Mother was about to steer the conversation in a very different direction. Yujin gave her an appraising look for a few moments, her ankles crossed as she leant on her hand, elbow propped up on the arm of the sofa while the hint of a smile made her lips twitch. Her eyes held an eager spark in them, like she was excited about questioning Chaeyoung.

 

“So,” Yujin finally said, breaking the tense silence, “what reason could you possibly have for getting your ex-bodyguard to hack into my private files?”

 

Biting her bottom lip, Chaeyoung quickly ran through what she could tell Yujin. Not all of it, of course, but she’d have to give enough of the truth to placate her mother-in-law, who would see through any lies in an instant. Sighing, Chaeyoung gave her a grim look. “I’m trying to ensure the safety of your daughter and our heirs. That includes chasing any leads linked to the murder of my entire family.”

 

To her surprise, Yujin let out a loud laugh, an amused look crossing her face as she arched a perfect eyebrow. “And you think I’m responsible? My dear, let me be the first to tell you that you’re looking in all the wrong places. If you think I, or anyone in my family, had anything to do with it, then you’re mistaken.”

 

Despite her scepticism, Chaeyoung couldn’t help but believe her. Yujin was never one to shy away from the truth, and even if she had been responsible, there was nothing Chaeyoung could do about it. She was married to Joohyun, who was the sister of the King of Gutrin, who wouldn’t charge his mother with the murder of the royal family of Avalon, which would mean the only option would be for Chaeyoung to start a war, which she wouldn’t do. Essentially, she would be left to silently hate Yujin if it was her. But if it was her, Yujin proba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter