I'm Not Taeyeon ! (foreshadowing)

We're Like Sculptures (there's rubies between the cracks)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica stands in front of the Libray shelves, eyes scanning for where aisle 49 could possibly be. It is not that much has changed since she was last here, there was just a lot of adjusting to do. It seems that her professors weren’t going to let her catch a break because she already had work to hand in and she’d only been here for less than a day. At least they gave her an extension, and at least she didn’t have class at this moment. 

 

She walks further and further away from the entrance of the library door, weaving in between the aisle in the hopes of stumbling across the correct book by chance. She frowns and shakes her head, deciding that she can work on the task another time, or find someone who would know about the history of the Wolfsbane potion.

 

Instead, she walks back around past the desks towards the exit, keen to have this extra time to acclimatise to the Hogwarts environment, or maybe a quick nap since her return has taken a toll on her, but her eyes catch the title of the book she had been searching for. 

 

She stops in her tracks and peers to see it laying on top of a pile in front of another student. Slytherin, likely in her year and a potions student. She weighs her options, figuring that it shouldn’t be too hard to convince whoever it was to lend it to her real quick. Maybe they even had their essay done and could help her out with it.

 

So Jessica strides up to her, places her hands on the chair beside the student and waits for them to realise her presence. It doesn’t take long, in fact, they have turned their head before Jessica could even shift her weight to the chair but she wasn’t expecting a familiar face. 

 

Jessica almost opens but manages to catch her expression just in time. However, Tiffany’s face washed over with recognition as Jessica continues to stare back at her, suddenly forgetting what her request was. Stunned, she comes up with a weak greeting. 

 

“Hey,” she says, a pause before continuing. “You’re Tiffany.” 

 

Tiffany gives back a hesitant nod. “Sooyeon, right?” 

 

“Yes. Or Jessica, if you’d like,” she says, forgetting how foreign it felt to have someone in a school setting talk to her with that name which was mostly reserved for her parents, or formal gatherings, or conversations between strangers. As Jessica was about to kindly request an essay, she supposes she wouldn’t mind skipping to ‘Jessica’. 

 

“Thought that was for friends?” 

 

“For people I know,” Jessica corrects. “And seeing as you’re a friend of my friends, we know each other.” 

 

What Jessica said must have surprised Tiffany, more so than already it seems as she blinks in confusion before breaking out a smile that has Jessica wondering if she had just been struck by the freezing charm. 

 

“Jessica,” Tiffany says as if she is testing out the name. “It fits you. Jessica Jung.” 

 

Jessica realises then that her name sounds better out of Tiffany’s mouth than it ever has.

 

“Thanks,” she says meekly, clearing . She had been taken aback by Tiffany, and Jessica has been unexpectedly reduced to a person she didn’t recognise. It isn’t that hard getting an essay from someone, not for Jessica, yet she finds herself perplexed and almost embarrassed and ultimately drawn to this girl who she never met all those years ago. 

 

“Sit,” Tiffany ushers after a moment. “Unless you have somewhere to be?” 

 

Jessica recomposes herself, taking the spot without answering Tiffany’s question, asking her own out of curiosity. “You haven't always been here, have you? Is that why I haven’t seen you before?” 

 

Jessica turns slightly on her chair to face her and looks Tiffany right in her eyes, a habit of hers that her mother encouraged as displayed self-assurance. This wavering that Jessica was feeling, she blamed it on 1st-day fatigue. It takes longer for her to feel comfortable around people, so must ensure it takes just as long for others. 

 

She watches Tiffany’s expression and the girl catches a glimpse to the side before returning the gaze back as she talks. 

 

“America,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter