The Library

Déjà Vu

« Yubin, I think I found it » Handong took a heavy book from one of the seemingly infinite shelves « Lights in the darkness, right? » She looked around, seeing the girls rush one by one toward her but no sign of the dark pink-haired girl. 

« Yubs? » Gahyeon whisper-yelled, having a bad feeling about her absence already. 

« This place is big, I’ll go look for her » Siyeon wanted to keep the young one calm but also didn’t want to be alarmed herself either. 

« Let’s split the search » Bora said, going the other direction. 

Despite Siyeon’s words, Gahyeon grew increasingly nervous. Yubin has always been the stealth one but she had the hearing of a hawk. She surely would have heard them. 

A little farther away, as Bora was searching, she was startled by her reflection in a mirror, but not because of her beauty. She didn’t expect such an object to be here among the shelves of old worn-out books. However, as she was about to continue her way, she glanced back at the mirror with a frown. The mirror suddenly seemed wavering. Little did she know that the odd phenomenon was caused by her friend banging her first desperately on the other side. 

She approached it slowly, wondering what could cause such a thing. 

Suddenly, Yubin’s hand burst out of it, making her scream. The stretched hand was clearly asking for help but Bora was frozen for a moment. It was only when Siyeon reached her and looked at the horror in front of them that they both acted. They grabbed her hand just as dark fumes began surrounding Yubin’s hand. Little by little, her arm emerged. It was hard for the two girls to hang on to it but they gave it all they have. Suddenly, Yubin burst out of the mirror, falling on the two of them but she didn’t allow herself a second to catch her breath. She stood up, took her dagger, and smashed the glass structure with the back of it to stop the spread of the dark fumes. Thankfully, all of it that came through got back inside before she did. 

« What the hell? Are you alright? » Gahyeon crashed into her sister’s arms. 

« I’m fine » Yubin replied, quickly turning toward Handong who had the book « Is this it? » 

Handong handed it to her « I think » 

Yubin opened it and scanned the yellow pages. 

« What language is that? » Siyeon raised an eyebrow at the sight of the writing. 

« One that I learned thankfully » Yubin replied before closing it « That’s it. Now, let’s go. They know we are here » She grabbed Gahyeon’s hand and lead her toward the exit. 

« Wait! » Minji stopped her « What was in there? Did you see her? Shouldn’t we wait for her and do it here? » 

Yubin shook her head « It was completely dark » She didn’t want to tell her that she heard Yoohyeon’s voice calling for her because she knew Minji would want to stay but they couldn’t afford that « We need to get away and find a place to trap her alone. They’ll swarm us here » She told her. Minji hesitated, looking back at the mirror « Please, trust me on this one » Yubin pleaded « I want to get Yoohyeon back too » Minji gulped and ultimately nodded. 

The group got out as quickly as they could without getting detected. The first lights of the day accompanied their new journey toward Yoohyeon’s now invaded realm. 

« Is it wise to go there? » Handong questioned « Shouldn’t we settle in one of our realms and lure her? » 

« She won’t come to us. Only darkness will » Yubin explained « I read a lot about how it operates. Even though it’s terrifying, it’s actually quite fascinating. Think of it as a parasite that spread its infection. In this case, we need to go to the root of it to stop it » 

« But it will be her territory. She will have complete control » 

« It » Minji corrected with a hint of anger in her voice « It will have control » 

Everyone’s heads lowered, knowing that Minji was fighting a silent battle with herself. For her, more than anyone, it wasn’t Yoohyeon. It was her body being used by this entity that she so desperately wanted to free her from. She was also angry with herself for having broken up with her for nothing, of course, she couldn’t have known that at the time but now, she knew she made the wrong decision. She went ahead determinately and they followed quietly. 

After a long day on their horses, they decided it was better to rest for the night, both for them and the horses. They stayed at an isolated auberge, a little decrepit if they were honest but it would be enough for the night. Yubin immediately immersed herself in the book and Minji was behind her shoulder, listening closely to what the girl would translate. 

« Try to get some sleep, guys » Siyeon told the others, putting a blanket over Gahyeon « We’ll need the energy » 

The younger girl nodded and immediately laid down. Handong gave Siyeon a thankful smile and a quick glance at the two busy girls before settling next to her. But Bora kept her eyes on them. 

« You should too » Siyeon whispered to her, handing her another blanket. 

« When I see her state, how can I? » Bora looked at Minji with a sigh. 

« She won’t rest until it’s over, you probably know that better than anyone » Siyeon sat next to her « But she’ll need us » Bora finally averted her gaze toward her. 

« I’m scared » Bora breathed, a weak voice shaking. 

Siyeon put her hand on hers « We all are. It’s logical that we are. We never faced something like this and Yoohyeon is our friend » 

Bora lowered and shook her head « No, that’s not what I meant » She gulped the lump in before looking back at Siyeon « There’s little chance that we’ll succeed. I’m scared of what will happen then….to her » She looked back at Minji « Devastated isn’t going to be it. You should have seen her after she broke up with Yoohyeon. She refused to tell me what was going on but she was like a walking corpse. Now, imagine if she has to fulfill the prophecy » Her hand was shaking in Siyeon’s. 

The wolf sighed « Let’s worry about that afterward if we have to » 

She, too, deep inside feared that possibility but she was trying hard to push the thoughts away and focus on the present. They had the chance to save her and she was ready to turn that wheel.

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed? 

Sorry the chapter is a bit small. My broken arm is itching so much with the hot weather that it makes writing a bit difficult. Anyway, see you next week :)

-J