A Possible Way

Déjà Vu

« What do you mean? » Minji immediately stood up with hope filling her eyes. If there was a way to avoid the prophecy, she would seize any opportunity she could get. Even if she got hurt in the process if she was being honest with herself. 

Yubin got a little uncomfortable having everyone’s eyes on her and she tried her best to form her words coherently « Well,…you all know the grand library, right? » 

« The one where only scholars are supposed to go? » Handong raised an eyebrow and Yubin scratched her nape with a guilty look on her face. 

« I…may sneak there from time to time » She confessed. 

« From time to time? » Gahyeon scoffed « You go there practically four nights a week » 

« Alright, alright » Yubin sighed in defeat « Not the point » She looked up at everyone staring at her with questioning faces « The thing is, there are books that talk about people getting taken over by darkness… » 

« And they have to die to stop it. Yes, we know » Bora hurried her impatiently. 

« Not necessarily » Yubin said and Minji rushed toward her, taking her by the shoulders.

« Is there a way to save Yoohyeon? » 

« It’s a long shot but there’s a book deep in the archives that explain how to exorcise the victims » 

« That’s a myth » Handong said. 

Yubin shook her head « It’s not. I haven’t read it yet but I’ve seen it » 

« Then why do we kill people that are affected today if there is a way? » Siyeon asked, confused. 

« Because it’s extremely complicated, sometimes even deadly for the people around, or straightly ineffective at all if not done correctly. They rather cut the roots of evil at once than let it spread slightly further » Yubin explained. 

« But it could work » Minji whispered, regaining hope that maybe she had a chance to unfulfilled the vision. 

« It could work » Yubin confirmed. 

« We need to tell them » Minji rushed out of the room and Bora grunted. 

« She really needs to stop running » 

Yet, she followed after her, just like everyone else. Minji went around the castle until she found the adults gathered, discussing the situation. 

« We have a solution! » She yelled as she approached them. Of course, she immediately gained their attention but the tensed group was already planning their next move. 

« Minji! » Her mother came toward her « You need to leave, we are at war. It’s serious » 

« So are we » She replied « Yubin knows of an exorcism book that could save Yoohyeon and stop the darkness » 

The adults all went quiet. 

« Yubin! » Her father scold the girl who made herself small. 

Minji’s father approached his daughter with sympathy « Sweetie, I know it must be very hard for you but exorcism doesn’t work. It’s a myth for the hopeful. And even if it did, by the time we’ll find it and find someone capable enough to perform it, Yoohyeon….the thing in Yoohyeon will have ravaged so much and will be inside all the realms » 

« Father! » Minji teared up in disbelief « We can save her » 

He cupped her cheek with a pained expression « Minji, Yoohyeon is gone » He whispered softly « You’ve seen the state of her father » 

Minji violently shook her head as tears streamed done her face « No » She muttered as the others powerlessly watched « It can’t finish like this » She rushed out of the room and the girls looked at one another before following her.

They found her at the stables, mounting her horse. 

« Minji! » Bora called, putting a hand on her arm to gain her attention.

Minji turned toward her and the others, dry tears staining her beautiful face « You can’t stop me. I will go to the grand library. I will find that book and perform the exorcism myself if I have to but I will save Yoohyeon » She spoke with determination. 

« You can count on me to help » Siyeon stepped forward, under everyone’s surprised eyes. She shrugged « She’s my friend, if there’s a chance to save her I’ll take it. Plus, I’ve never been good at following rules » 

Minji snorted, happy that someone was on her side. 

Yubin stepped forward « I know the grand library like the back of my hand. You’ll need me » Minji nodded with a thankful smile. 

« You’ll get the two sisters » Gahyeon stepped beside Yubin. 

Minji turned toward Bora and Handong who looked at one another worriedly. 

« You know what? Let’s go fight the forces of evil » Bora shrugged « Kind of pissed me off ruining my party » 

« What she wants to say is that, of course, we’ll help our best friend » Handong corrected. 

Minji snorted and hopped on her horse « Then what are we waiting for » 

-

The journey to the grand library took them most of the night. They cut through the forests, across the streams, and unsafe bridges but Minji was leading the group with a focused objective. She was determined to save Yoohyeon before the royals did anything to her. The vision kept torturing her mind and she would do anything to never see Yoohyeon’s eyes looking at her like they did in it. 

Thankfully, when they arrived there weren’t many guards around the grand library and some were even asleep. No one really thought there would be a heist to steal books, which would serve the girls greatly. 

They entered the gigantic place, closely following Yubin who navigated the place like it was her own home. They stealthily went to the underground level where the ancient books and the forbidden ones were stored. Yubin took out a key when they arrived in front of a heavy door. 

« How did you get the keys to this place? » Gahyeon whispered with surprise. 

« I stole some » Yubin shrugged naturally « The librarians have doubles that they never check on » They followed her inside « Now, everyone can relax » She spoke in a normal tone « No one comes here and if they do, we’ll hear them coming at the door » The girls straightened up yet still stayed on their guards « Look for a black book titled Lights in the darkness » She instructed them. Everyone nodded and split around the large room. 

They were searching for some time the racks and walls full of bounded books when Yubin passed by a mirror. She suddenly stopped and stepped backward to come back in front of it. She frowned, studying her reflection intently. Something was wrong. She couldn’t tell what but her guts were never wrong. She slowly approached her hand but realized too late that it had been a mistake. She was inside it in an instant. 

 

_________________________________________________________

 

Hey, guys! Hope you enjoyed this new chapter? 

See you next week :)

-J