Taken by Darkness

Déjà Vu

« Yoohyeon, come to us » The voices whispered inside her mind. 

She felt the void underneath her feet and the darkness filled her eyes. The silence surrounding her was so loud she had to put her hands over her ears. She was screaming but no sound passed . 

The nightmare was drowning her, creeping inside her heart, devouring her soul, and trapping the last of her conscious self inside the deepest part of her brain. 

Yoohyeon was no more, only the monstrous demon was sitting on the throne. 

 

-

 

Bora took deep breaths of fresh air, leaning on the ledge of her room’s window. It was a fine morning as the realm awakened alongside the sun, yet she was unusually already up. She was as excited as she was nervous about the evening’s events. She had laid awake in her bed in the first hours of the morning and had decided to settle on the ledge with a blanket on to observe the realm at dawn. 

The maids entered to prepare her for the ball. They stayed in her room and kept her busy until the middle of the afternoon because her parents wanted to prepare the castle to surprise her. The maids did a poor job at keeping it a secret but Bora couldn’t hold it against them. She was the hyperactive type and wasn’t one to stay in her room at all. Their excuses to keep her there became weaker and eventually, Bora had been able to make them talk. However, she wasn’t going to give them more trouble and sneak out. She patiently waited until they were authorized to let her out. Once they got out of her room, before leaving as well, she sat at her vanity, staring at her impeccable reflection. Whoever her suitor will be, they would be a lucky one. Yet, Bora didn’t feel like she was ready. She was of age, yes, but the ball seemed premature somehow. She had so much to live, so many foreign lands to visit….Maybe she’ll meet the one today though. That was exciting. She shouldn’t be worried after all. The festivities were in her honor and it wasn’t like she was going to get married tomorrow. Her parents will only allow her happiness, and only accept the best suitor for her. 

She finished neatly brushing the strand of hair that had blown away due to the light wind coming through the open window. Once satisfied with her appearance, she left her room. The midday put the castle in a busy atmosphere; distant talking was heard from left and right. People were rushing to their assigned activities, all greeting the princess while passing. 

« My beautiful daughter » Bora’s father smiled broadly when he spotted her, expanding his arms to welcome her in his hold. 

« Father » Bora greeted, finding refuge in his tight, yet warm, embrace. He kissed the crown of her head lovingly before releasing her. 

« You are the most beautiful woman in this realm today » He eyed her up and down proudly « Don’t tell your mother I said that » He winked playfully at her. 

Bora pressed her index finger on , lips upturned « Where is she by the way? » She searched around for her mother. 

« Last I heard, putting the last touch to the flowers in front of the castle while she waits to welcome the first guests » He presented her his arched arm. She immediately linked her arm with his and they strolled peacefully alongside one another outside. On the way, the king showed his daughter the beautiful decorations they had put up for her and the salivating buffet. 

When they arrived outside, Bora’s jaw dropped in awe when she saw the grand elephant figure made of purple flowers welcoming the guests to the castle. Her mother stood before it in a gown of the exact same color. 

« Mother, it’s… » Bora lacked words to describe her happiness at the sight of the temporary monument. 

« Beautiful? » The queen finished her daughter’s sentence as she braced her in her arms « Your suitor has to know what they’re in for » She giggled, softly kissing her forehead.

 

-

 

Siyeon watched the bright forest pass by, cheek flattened against the coach’s window and her gloomy expression reflecting on it. 

« Siyeon, sweetie, you better put a smile on once we arrive » Her mother warned from her side; as if her father in front of them didn’t have the exact same expression on his face. Truth was, these gatherings weren’t for them. The royals of Daegu liked to stay within their land. They were wolves, better in pack and not wandering on other’s territories. 

« I don’t see why we’re going when they think of us as animals » She grunted. 

« Politics, Siyeon » Her father shrugged « Bear it for one evening and we’ll keep peace intact » 

Siyeon rolled her eyes, looking back out the window, watching the deepness of the passing forest. She wished she could run in it as she did back home. It was the only moment she felt free and alone. She had never been much of a people’s person but being a royal meant that she had the responsibility to. However, she was mostly delegating those to her sister. This time she couldn’t though. Her sister was fortunate to stay home because she was already married and the royals from Changwon were only trying to find a suitor for their daughter at this ball they organized. Siyeon was thankful her parents never did that for her. They knew better than to do something that she would not even show up for. Lone wolf wasn’t her nickname for nothing. Nevertheless, now she had to go to others’ balls. Just like her father said: it was all political. As a princess, she had to at least show up to not get her kingdom in trouble. She sighed, closed her eyes, and imagined being in her room back home.

 

-

 

« Minji! » Bora exclaimed loudly as she saw her best friend exit the carriage that had stopped in front of the castle « What are you doing here? » She hugged her tightly. 

It had been almost a year since she had last seen her in person; even with the frequent letters they had exchanged she had missed her dearly. 

« Your parents didn’t tell you? I’m your new lover » Minji joked, earning a painful slap on the shoulder from the smaller girl. 

« You idiot » She chuckled before noticing Minji’s parents getting out of the next carriage « King. Queen » She greeted, respectfully bowing in front of them. 

« Dear Bora » Minji’s mother approached, taking her hands gently « Even prettier than I remember » 

The said girl blushed which made Minji smirk « Thank you for the kind words, your majesty » 

« The Royals from Daegu » The valet announced and suddenly the atmosphere became a little more tense and quiet. The carriage stopped where the King and Queen of Daejeon’s one had been moments ago. The King of Daegu was the first out and helped his wife to get off. They all bowed to each other and as Bora straightened up, her eyes met the girl who got out behind them. It was as if she was quickly transported away from a moment, where only she and the girl stood. Her heart did an inexplicable thing in her chest. 

Bora was sure she had never seen her before. She would have remembered her otherwise. Her eyes were…piercing through her very soul. She felt somehow despite the layers of clothing she got on. But the girl seemed to not care, she looked away without a smile, staying behind her parents. Bora exchanged a confused look with Minji while the adults were talking. It was only when Bora looked back at the girl that she noticed what she was wearing. Not a dress. Pants. An elegant black slacks with high boots, as well as a black long-sleeved top with laced purple details. If Bora didn’t know the dress code, she would have thought it had been made just for her.

The Daegu princess was staring at the elephant sculpture, cocking her head to the side with interest. 

« Princess Siyeon? » Bora’s mother greeted as the queen of Daegu took her daughter by the shoulders and dragged her forward « How elegant » She clasped her hands together. Siyeon bowed silently but a sincere smile graced her face « I hope you’ll get along with my daughter today » Siyeon sent her a nod and Bora started to wonder if she might be mute. 

« The royals from Seongnam » The next carriage was announced. The king of Daegu took his wife’s hand and gestured for his daughter to follow them inside where they headed, leaving Bora in the most confusing state. 

 

-

 

« You shouldn’t drink that » Yubin took the metal cup from her little sister Gahyeon’s grasp. 

« Why are you spoiling all the fun » The girl grunted. 

« You’re a child » Siyeon shook her head, half-disappointed half-amused. She was glad to have the two princesses by her side. It made her evening better. 

She had become friends with Yubin when her parents visited their realm for a business deal years ago. She liked Yubin because she was quiet (unlike her sister) and well-mannered; but she was also not afraid of an adventure. They were oddly complementary. For Gahyeon, it was another story. She had grown on Siyeon. They liked to mess with one another. Siyeon really thought of her as a little sister. 

« I’m of age to get married so I’m so age to get drunk » Gahyeon replied. 

« Not on my watch » Yubin said. 

« Which part? » Gahyeon smirked. 

« Both » Yubin smacked the back of her head and Siyeon laughed at their antics, looking around the grand room. It was full now; people were chatting around them. From afar, she caught Bora’s eyes. The small girl froze and like a jerk, Siyeon sassily waved at her. 

« Oh ! » Bora turned around in panic. 

« Language » Handong called her out with a grin. 

« What is it? » Minji asked at the same time, as they faced a slightly distraught Bora. 

« She saw me watch her » 

« Who? » They both glanced over her shoulder to find the person of interest. 

« Don’t look! » Bora snapped their attention back on her with rosy cheeks.

« Who are you talking about? » Handong questioned again. 

« Princess Siyeon » 

« From Daegu? » 

Bora nodded. 

« Was she mean to you? » MInji asked defensively, already straightening her posture for the eventuality of a fight. 

« No…I only met her today » Bora shook her head « It’s just…she’s… » 

« Intimidating? » Handong offered. 

« Yeah, kind of but…not…that…I…she….I don’t know » She sighed, making her two best friends exchange a confused look. 

 

-

 

« Do you think Yoohyeon will come? » Gahyeon asked, trying to sneak a drink underneath the table which Yubin caught immediately from the corner of her eye. 

« She won’t » Siyeon sighed « There are a lot of problems in her land. That’s what she told me in her last letter anyway » 

« That  » Gahyeon pouted. 

And before Yubin could take the cup out of her hand, the grand doors slammed open. Every head turned to meet, a distraught and a bad condition, King of Incheon. Yoohyeon’s father. He stumbled for a moment, his hand reaching out in front of him for help before he dropped to the ground. Some people were already running toward him and got on their knees next to him in no time.

Yubin and Siyeon’s eyes met with confusion and instant worry as their parents rushed to the king’s side. The two didn’t wait to do the same. They made their way toward the inner circle that had formed around him and saw the damages from up close. He was pretty beat up, his clothes were torn or even burned in some places. 

« Majesty? » Bora’s mother patted a damped clothe on his face. He regained slowing consciousness and grabbed Bora’s father’s wrist desperately. 

« It took my daughter » He let out in a weak voice. These words traveled to Minji who instantly tensed. She gulped, suddenly as dry as if she had stayed a week in the desert. 

« What took your daughter? » Bora’s father tried to make him explain despite his poor condition. 

« Darkness » He whimpered, tears falling down his cheeks « My wife managed to escape. She took the direction of Wuhan » 

Handong’s mother rose « I’ll send some of my best knights to welcome and protect her » She told them, quickly walking out of the room. 

« Darkness is possessing Yoohyeon’s body to make their evil deeds » He panted « She…help her, plea… » Then, he passed out. 

« Guards! Prepare a room for him and call the doctors » Bora’s mother called. 

« Already on it » One of their faithful servants took the initiative. 

« I’m afraid the festivities are over for the night » Bora’s father stood tall on the stairs while the guards carefully carried the king of Incheon away « You are, of course, welcome to stay the night like it was planned » The crowd scattered rather quickly. 

« We should have a meeting » The king of Daegu whispered to Bora’s father. 

« Yes, and rather quickly it seems » The queen of Seongnam sighed. 

« Minji? Minji, are you alright? » Handong and Bora tried to shake her out of the frozen state she had fallen into after Yoohyeon’s father talked about his daughter « Minji? » 

« This can’t be happening » The girl whispered. 

 

_______________________________

 

Hey, guys! 

Hope you enjoyed this first chapter? We’ll learn Minji’s side of the story next chapter ;) 

See you next week :)

-J