Chapter 2

Gravity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AN 1: 

 

Wazzup yeorobun! You guys received this pretty well for a story of this kind. Thank you so much! Do I have fans yet? Hello? 😬

Regardless I didn't make y'all wait long this time (as compared to my last story)! 🙂 Please do keep the interactions going in the comments I super enjoy seeing your reactions!

p.s. For those of you who are on the more soft-hearted side, here is your advisory: Please prepare tissue.

 

 

 

Yong spends the ride home weeping silently, with deep breaths, and with her eyes open. She’s been sipping water at regular intervals and had her manager prepare an ice pack for her to dab at her eyes once in a while so as to prevent swelling. It’s the most she could do since she didn't want to bother trying to stop her face from crumpling and her tears from falling.

 

Isn’t it always more tear-jerking in dramas when you can see how the character is in so much pain but chooses to sit with it and allow it to run its course?


 

 

 

Yongsun is besotted with grief at Byul’s words in her letter. She cancels two days' worth of work and doesn't leave her room, and makes no sound. It takes all three of Big Yong, Wheein and Hyejin's efforts (well four, if we count Yongkeey who wouldn't stay still in Ddunnie's arms) to get her out of bed.

 

In the days that follow Yong plasters her default mature, professional Solar-ness onto her face, and this is what her colleagues see at work. But in her heart is a gnawing, palpable, sharp pain that she knows not how to get rid of, if not by someone giving her back her Byul-ah.

 

In her reflections, she supposes that one of the biggest flaws of the human race is their ability to take things for granted. As much as wise people try to reiterate how detrimental it is to live lingering on the past, or harboring grudges and regrets, Yong has come to understand that taking things for granted is one of the grand causes of these human malpractices.

 

She vows to never feel this way again, especially in relation to Byul. She vows that Byul will have as much as she wants of her when all this is over.

 

Kim Do Hoon all but kicks her out of his studio office when she hangs out there in her downtime, claiming this version of Solar with her long face and desolate, random-sad-music-piano-playing energy is hammering away at the entire company’s creativity.

 

“That’s too mean, even for you, daepyonim,” Solar says back, offended.

 

So he decides to (literally) shake her back to her senses and they successfully turn hopeless, lovesick, desolate Solar into sad hit-maker Solar. Of course.

 

 

 

 

One day soon after, on the set of Midnight Horror Story, Yongsun’s hand is gently yanked the minute the director yells out his final “Cut!” Manager-unnie pulls her towards her dressing room in a subtle but frantic manner before Yong could say anything to her castmates.

 

Byul was rushed to the hospital right in the middle of filming, and all the managers are stressed beyond belief. They figure that it would be best for Yong's handler to just allow her to find out what happened after she is shoved into a car en route to the hospital. There she can react however she wants. When Yong gets to the dressing room her things are already packed up and most of her team are no longer there. The kids are already in the Carnival when she gets in, and there is no time to panic until she is able to settle in; the vehicle is in motion the instant the automatic door gives off its click shut.

 

Hyejin: "Unnie, since we're here I'm thinking you already kind of know what this is about, right?”

Y: "What happened to her? Tell me now before I shut down completely."

Wheein: "Unnie you can't do that, we need you to breathe, you don't have to be strong or whatever okay we're here, just breathe, please."

Hyejin: "You can do it, Unnie. Breathe and then drink this. I was told hospitals can only manage treatment for ¼ of Mamamoo at any given time.”

 

Yong drinks the water handed to her and tries to breathe more deeply.

 

Y: "What happened."

Wheein: "We're not completely sure yet, we just know that they were playing a game, filming, and well, now I guess we can fully confirm our Moonbyul is the most accident-prone among us."

 

Solar desperately tries to get a hold of herself with a couple of deep breaths. Since the younger girl paused in consideration of her, she asks Wheein to continue.

 

W: “Unnie, she hit her head and–”

Y: "She what?!"

Wheein: "Um, so the managers said they were told she tried to keep going afterward but collapsed and lost consciousness."

Y: “...Holy I think I’m gonna puke–”

 

As her attempt at lengthening her breathing ultimately fails, Hyejin starts rubbing her back from the backseat warmly. “It’s alright, unnie, we’re here, deep breaths, c’mon.”

 

W: “And Byulie-unnie is a bull despite being accident-prone, after this I bet she’ll just pick it back up as if nothing happ–”

Y: "They wouldn't have rushed her to the hospital for just anything, Wheein-ah, they would’ve just waited for her to wake up on-set.”

 

Hyejin simply takes her hand and squeezes tightly. Wheein sighs and does the same.

 

By the time they get there Byul's condition has been stabilized since the doctors checked on her right away. They are shocked as they are informed that Byul hit her head so hard that it caused a tiny bleed in her brain, which was luckily small enough to not require surgery. The challenge was some kind of a modified version of soccer, and of course, Byul might have felt she had an edge and got overexcited.

 

As per camera playbacks, Byul tripped head-first over an obstacle on the floor from being hyperfocused on the ball, and although she had a helmet on prior, it had somehow come loose when she tripped, causing the right side of her head to bang on the hard part of an oddly shaped obstruction overhead. Wheein’s details in the car earlier were correct, in that Byul did try to continue on but seemed like she got dizzy, fell over, and out.

 

KBS higher-ups are apparently furious and needless to say, filming for The Human Condition is suspended until further notice.

 

Byul’s doctors did say they were glad Byul's neck was okay since some head injuries, depending on the mechanism, can cause cervical spine injury. The girls are told though that Byul might need to sleep for a little while more.

 

When Byul wakes up though, they said arm, leg, speech or visual disturbance should be anticipated, as “loose” blood (not in veins) can be irritating to the brain.

 

Yong, in the midst of deep feelings of betrayal against the TV network that’s once claimed her as a daughter, finds out through their entourage that in all records that asked for emergency contacts Byul never listed any of her family members. Instead, there is a "Kim Yongsun" and some of their shared managers who had been there from the beginning.

 

“Stupid fart,” she manages to think to herself, not surprised.

 

Outside Byul’s private intensive care room, a producer from the show approaches her, knowing how close she is to Byul as it was frequently broadcast in detail on national media, including their own show. She hands over a medium-sized tote bag and a backpack: Byulyi’s essentials from her cell on the show, in case she might need anything in them.

 

Yongsun goes through the tote to see if there was anything that did need to be brought out in anticipation of Byul’s awakening. Inside the tote bag, she finds the little spiral notebook Byul tore from to write on the day she came to visit. She was curious immediately, but really had no intention of looking inside it without Byul’s permission. But then her clumsy self let the notebook slip and it landed askew on the floor. The very first words that showed themselves on one of the pages were “To: Yong-unnie.”

 

“These are technically for me…so I can read them, right? Right.” she reasons with herself. So, she goes ahead and begins reading.

 

The first letter is the longest entry all throughout:

 

To: Yong-unnie,

 

“2021, the year I turned 30, was quite notable. I suddenly had this compulsion to get things done because I watched you, as I always do, and you were so successful at being sure of yourself and your life, and your money and your future. I was honestly afraid, Unnie. It’s why I would joke and ask you to wait for me. I kind of knew you didn’t really need me. I was never sure of my place in your life. I tried to stick by you as much as I could and you were always so lovely about it, but I thought I needed to get ahold of myself and make something of myself because you weren’t going to let me be your sidekick forever. I thought if I built myself up properly, you would find that I was worth the time of day because I challenged myself to be at par with you, which meant I could continue following you around in this lifetime. But still, even if you didn’t in the end, then I’d be worth the time of day to my own self. I could be something to be proud of.

 

“I definitely felt that after that year. I had confidence in myself that I hadn’t before, and had successfully prepared myself to be on my own, knowing what I’m all about and what I’m capable of. Which was all well and good of course–my offering to the universe for allowing my existence. I didn’t have to worry about what would happen when I am no longer your Byul-ah. Solar will learn how to set her apps up and fix computer bugs and figure out her new tools on her own (that, or she’s going to marry a nice young man who can do all that for her) and Moonbyul can be Moonbyul.

 

“A tragedy is what it was, that year also being a point of no return for me and my feelings for you, all the way until I released 6equence. I had definitely reached my goals, and you were so proud of me and it was palpable. You showed me off at every opportunity. What a side of you that was to behold. It made my hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter