Chapter 1A

Gravity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Human Condition is supposed to be this big deal in South Korean media. Apart from the UN and Unicef and pretty much all their affiliates, a myriad of other advocacy groups have been invited to become beneficiaries, those covering gender rights, animal rights, climate issues, human trafficking, drug trafficking, education in developing nations, disease research–name a group or NGO, and it would’ve made it to the show’s long list of beneficiaries.

 

The concept is to invite a very carefully selected pool of South Korean celebrities who will allow themselves to be put to jail. Yes, jail . Prison. Incarceration.

 

Inside they are to have extremely minimal connection to the outside world, just as normal criminals would, and only to be determined by the warden (who is basically Big Brother in this scenario) and his guards. What indeed makes this TV show NOT Big Brother at all is that inmates will live basically the same way as criminals–meal rations and meal times, group therapy-related activities, clothing, jail cells–with the ONLY exception of a particular set of activities that are to be decided by the show’s producers, of course. These are missions where the beneficiaries come into play.

 

Inmates are supposed to incur immense personal growth with the help of mindfulness and spirituality practices while incarcerated. The meticulousness of the casting is for this reason, since not everyone have reached certain levels of inner peace and such deep reflection and insight, to be agreeable to practices like heavy meditation and mantras and such.

 

The very premise of the show is to ultimately exhibit a kind of goodness and depth in humans that many may have developed a disillusionment towards, through the missions that are to be given to the participants. How do they go about fulfilling them in the best, most woke kinds of ways using the things they’ve learned, and essentially, the kinds of people they are?

 

Group mission beneficiaries are to be determined by the show, and individually fulfilled mission beneficiaries can be decided upon by the winner/fulfiller of the mission, their choice of whether this is made public or private.

 

When there are only four participants left of the 12 initially recruited (the others having been eliminated due to violations, losing missions three times, or official requests to leave), the show ends. Said four participants will split a pot of one billion won (roughly $800,000 US), which they can finally do whatever they want with.

 

The show has been nothing but the talk of the town since it was announced. Local and international sponsors pour in as a result of its innovative and interesting concept. Korean government units will even appear in the credits once or twice.

 

It is that big a deal.

 

The very clear-cut, meticulous criteria to become part of this show’s cast churns out, unsurprisingly (to her fans anyway), the name Moon Byulyi, or Moonbyul of Mamamoo.

 

An overall performer, musician, radio host and content creator, over the years Moonbyul has gotten more and more well known for her natural charm, genuine purity of heart, kindness and humility, which she somehow uniquely fuses with a sharp wit and candid forthrightness.

 

Byul of course accepts the invitation with no hesitation.

 

Another unsurprising fact is Byul is the youngest celebrity to be cast.

 

 

Byul is in Yongsun’s apartment (although at this point any home of Yong’s is Byul’s house also by extension). Both are seated on the white couch (that is as white as the rest of the dental clinic apartment) in the living room with the TV serving as background noise to a purposeful silence. Sometimes this is just how Yong and Byul spend their time in private, especially when their days have been long. Yongkeey’s head rests on Byul’s lap, drifting off to sleep as Byul pets her and scratches behind her ears.

B: “Unnie I need to tell you something.”

Y: “Yeah, what is it?”

Yongsun doesn’t think this is going to be anything too exciting. At first mention facts delivered to her from Byul go completely over her head, because of how comfortable she has become with the younger one. Usually, she just lets Byul ramble away, and the same for Byul when it’s her doing the rambling. Byul is the one with better memory though. She knows she can mindlessly spew off facts that Byul can save and then pull out from somewhere in her memory for future use. That’s just how it’s always been between them.

B: “You’ve heard of that new show, right?”

Y: “Which one?”

B: “The KBS one, it’s apparently really big.”

Y: “OH! The one people can’t decide whether to praise or find controversial.”

 

Byul looks weirdly spooked, but does answer, “Yes, I think you’ve got it that’s the one.”

 

Y: “Okay, so what about it? You gonna tell me how cool you think it is and to never watch a new episode without you?”

B: “Um, no Unnie. I-uhh–I’m gonna be on it.”

Yong takes the time to assess her best friend. There’s never been an indicator in certain situations as to whether Byul is serious or joking. The girl is too damn good an actress and knows her too well. More than once in all their years by each other’s side, Byul had been able to pinpoint when Yong was close to discovering her bluff, adjusting tactics, behavior, or facial expressions in situations similar to this in order to keep the lie going. Best to just always be ready.

Y: “No, you’re not.”

B: “...But I am, Unnie.”

Y: “Really, if I call manager-unnie right now she can–okay no she always takes your side,”

Mirth springs into Byul’s eyes but overall she just looks more apprehensive than anything. Solar is now more inclined to believe her.

Y: “Who do I call to make sure…”

Byul then proceeds to wake her phone up from sleep to pull up a group chat she shares with her bosses and managers alone, for her solo projects. She scrolls up to a particular message and then passes her phone on to Yong.

B: “Start there."

 

Yong goes through the recent messages and is satisfied with the evidence to support Byul’s earlier statement. A statement that has spread a different feeling throughout her chest now: dread.

 

…But why, when she should be happy for Byul? This could be the most prestigious piece of work she’s been offered in her whole career

 

And because Moonbyul knows her like the back of her hand…

B: “I’m sorry Unnie, I was kind of already booked before they could ask me. I’m not sure how true this is but allegedly I was the first candidate for cast member in the producers’ minds.”

Yong is quiet again for a bit, allowing herself to mull the idea over in her head.

 

Y: “Hey, wait, no, what are you apologizing for?”

Byul also doesn’t answer immediately, but when she does, she says, “It kind of seemed like you didn’t like the idea.”

Y: “It’s not that, it’s just–Byul-ah first of all I have no say in your career, it’s not my career–”

 

B: “But Unnie, your opinions matter to me, you know that. Just like mine matter to you.”

Y: “Although all of that is true, at the end of the day I’m never going to give off a yes or no to the things you think are best for your work life, Byul. Again, it’s your career, it’s you who’s going to have to ultimately live with your decisions.”

B: “Fine, but regardless, what have you to say about this opportunity?”

Yong looks into both Byul’s eyes, alternating between left and right, a gesture that’s been in existence since the beginning of this relationship that was close and intense at the onset. Not on purpose, it’s just something that happens when a singular thought or idea wants to distribute itself between the two of them. After eye contact, magically, they’re aligned.

Yong has discovered it was an immense help to them in learning to stop fighting all the time. Kind of like a reminder of how connected they truly are–animosity is pointless.

Looking into Byul’s eyes right now Yong sees that the girl wants to join this show. Between them, it goes without saying that in fact, a show of this n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter