Chapter Seven

Reign

It has been a week since the confrontation. The castle is big, but Karina did not think it'll be big enough for Yeji to avoid her. But it is that big. Karina had never seen Yeji, not even her shadows.

"Are you okay?" Winter asked. She hands Karina a picnic basket. 

"Better than yesterday," she said and shrugged.

"Right. I'll be there when you need me." Winter pointed at the bench near Karina and her friends. The older girl nodded.

"So? What happened with Yeji?" Lia asked. Karina snickered.

"She has a lot to learn. Know what? I bet we are going home in a few days." Karina said and shook her head. Gaeul groaned in frustration.

"Why?" She asked. As the future Countess of Kwangya, she is partly responsible for Karina. 

"Because I caught Yeji seeing someone else!" Karina scoffed and drank the coffee. Ningning hummed.

"Then see someone else too. It'll be fair," Minju grimaced at the youngest advice. 

"But Karina hates cheating." She muttered. 

"It won't be cheating because nothing binds them. They are simply friends who may or may not get married." Lia said and chuckled. 

"You hurt me, Lia. You hurt me." The taller girl said dramatically. They all laughed heartily. They are glad that they can put this Yeji nonsense behind them. Or somewhat behind them.

If they think they can do such a thing to Kwangya, then they are wrong.

"Excuse me, ladies. The King and Queen are asking for your presence in the throne room," Winter said politely. She did agree to be something like a friend with Karina, but not with the other ladies. 

"Including us?" Minju asked. Winter nodded her head. She stepped aside to let them walk in front of her. She is a member of the Royal family, but here is, used as a servant. As Yeji's whipping servant.

"What could they possibly want?" Gaeul asked. Karina shrugged her shoulders and fixed her button-down shirt. 

"Whatever it is, we must be prepared." Her tone changed. It is more Queen-like. 

The guard announced their presence before opening the huge door in front of them. Winter stands on the back, enough distance to listen. Yeji is surprisingly present. She is looking down at her feet, something on the ground might have intrigued her more than the presence of her future wife. 

"I heard you asked for us," Karina said politely. She bowed slightly with her friends, before looking into the Royals' eyes. She might be afraid, but she won't back down. It is for the sake of her kingdom and her people. 

"We may have given you the wrong impression, Queen Karina of Kwangya." The King said. He looks at them sternly. 

"What impression are we talking about here, Your Grace? Is it the impression of me being a prisoner here?" Karina asked. Her eyebrows formed a thin line. 

"Ah yes, we are sorry for that. We are also sorry for not educating our daughter." The Queen said. Karina looked at Yeji who is still looking down. Then, her eyes searched for the most beautiful pair of hazelnut eyes. She smiled to herself when she saw Winter. She is looking at her with a small smile. This might not be what Karina had in mind, but it is better.

"Okay. If you are really asking for forgiveness, set the wedding date. And let me draft a written agreement." The Queen of Kwangya demanded. 

"Can we please draft the agreement, please? Let's not rush for the wedding." Yeji butted in. 

"With all due respect, Your Grace, this agreement is not one-sided. And you are asking for forgiveness, no? And it is your fault, no? You cheated on the Queen, and to make up for that, please, accept the demands." Minju said. The King glared at his daughter. He turned to the four, or five, women inside the throne room.

"We accept the demands, Queen Minju. Is there anything more?" Nobody answered the King. He cleared .

"You may all go." 

"Good job, Karina," Winter whispered when the taller girl passed by her. She walked closer to Karina and her friends.

"I should have demanded that you are to be legitimate," Karina mumbled in shame. She forgot about that part. 

"I don't deserve such demands, Karina. I am born a bastard and will die as one. Besides, the marriage is about your kingdom and Kosmo. It is not about me," Winter explained. 

"Karina, is it okay if I go home for a few days? Chaewon wrote a letter, asking me to visit her," Minju asked with a huge grin. Karina nodded her head and told her friends to visit their family too. Karina envied Minju. She got to marry a person who loves her too. They love each other with all their heart, and Karina hopes she could do that too. But with Yeji, it is difficult. 

"Are you sure about that? They'll be gone for long," Winter asked. They are inside Karina's chambers. Her friends had departed already. Karina chuckled.

"Of course, I am sure. It is not the first time that I am alone, Winter. I am always alone," she tapped her side, asking Winter to sit beside her. 

"But don't you need them? Especially since there is a quarrel between you and my sister." Winter sat beside her. Her eyebrows formed a thin line in worry.

"You're here. I'll be all right."