Chapter One

Reign

"You must go. Now, Karina!" The head maid said and pushed her gently. Karina hopped inside her sports car and drove without hesitation. 

Karina is a Queen in this modern world. Her kingdom is one of the finest and richest, naturally, enemies are always there. Trying to assassinate her. 

She called her Mother when she find herself far away from the ranch she was staying in.

"Mother, they found me." She said with panic in her voice. It happened a lot of times but she is still scared for her dear life. A 16-year-old girl does not deserve this. 

"Then we don't have any choice but to ask Yeji for help." Karina hummed. She tapped the steering wheel with her fingers and smiled. Asking Yeji and her kingdom for help is the last straw. But a sane one. 

"Okay. I'll drive to the airport. Please send me a plane, Mother. And please take care," Karina said before ending the call. She took in the scenery. The sun is setting; becoming one with the ocean. And Karina is there, driving to flee.

After 30 minutes of driving, she arrived at the airport. People are looking at her, but she walked fastly toward the plane that will take her to her fiancee. 

"Are we going to Kosmo, Your Majesty?" With a big grin plastered across her face, Karina nodded. She misses her childhood friend a lot. 

Yeji and her are best friends. They were engaged when they were 6, and now, they are 16. 

When her plane landed, a red carpet with lots of nobles welcomed her. And of course, her fiancee was there. 

"Yeji!" Karina exclaimed and hugged her friend. Yeji hugged her back with a huge smile. 

"You look beautiful, as usual." 

"Enough with the flattery," said the Queen with a blushing face. Yeji held her hand and gently pulled her towards the limousine. 

Inside is a girl with blonde hair. Her skin is as white as snow. 

"Who?" Karina asked and looked at the girl. She seems to be the same age as them. 

"Oh, silly me," Yeji said and sat beside Karina. She pointed at the girl across them.

"That is my younger sister. A half-sister, to be exact." Karina smiled politely. The girl is familiar, but she is a stranger. To Karina who spends her life running away, everyone is a stranger. Even her mother, the former Queen of Kwangya. She last hugged her mother 3 years ago. She craves her mother's warmth, but to have her mother safe, she needs to be alive. and to do that, there may be sacrifices like their time together. 

"Greetings, Queen Katarina. My name is Winter," she said eloquently. Her gaze is piercing. And her lips are tugged upwards with a mischievous grin. 

"Drop the formalities, please." 

"I can't possibly do that to my future Queen," the younger girl said with a smirk. Yeji shook her head and scoffed.

"Our engagement is yet to be finalized, Win. Besides, Karina might love someone that is not me," Yeji said and looked at her fiancee. Karina shrugged before looking away. She never really love anyone. Yeji, she did, or still does. The girl is marvelous. Anyone who is not charmed by Yeji is a fool or blind.

"Ah, of course. Say, Queen Katarina, do you fancy anyone?" Winter asked. Karina cleared and looked at the sly girl in front of her. How is her love life possibly be Winter's business? 

The girl is confident and prideful. If Winter is Yeji's half sister then maybe she is the child of the King's mistress. Karina heard about the King being unfaithful to her Queen. And she cannot imagine how hurt her fiancee might be. 

Karina's father, the former King of Kwangya passed away when she was 10. Her father only loved her mother, so she wants her future partner to do the same. She does not want to have her partner fooling around with other women. 

"No. I haven't got the chance to meet and really know anyone except Yeji."

"So you fancy my big sister?" Winter asked, agape. She is taunting Karina, and the Queen does not like it one bit. Something about Winter bothers Karina. 

"You are making her uncomfortable, Winter. Stop." Yeji said and rolled her eyes. 

"Oh, please! I was just curious. It doesn't make you uncomfortable, does it?" Karina shook her head. Teeth clenched. 

"But I am a bit tired. Can we please get to know each other later?" Karina tried to sound as less irritated as possible. 

"Yes, of course! Here, come and put your head on my shoulder." Yeji said and pat her shoulder. Karina chuckled before doing so. Yeji smells like lavender and flowers. 

"Aren't the two of you cute?" Winter asked. Her legs are crossed as she looks at her older sister. To be an illegitimate daughter is embarrassing. Sure, people do not say anything awful behind their backs, because they are Royals. They can behead them for disgracing their good names. But it does not make Winter feel secure and happy. She wants to be acknowledged. She needs to be. 

"Winter, please." Yeji looked at her pointedly. Winter scoffed before looking outside the window. Kosmo's castle is on the top of a hill. On their right side is the forest, full of large trees, while on their left is the vast ocean. So blue and beautiful. 

Karina looked at Winter and hummed in wonder. Why is she being so stubborn and hard?