Chapter Six

Reign

Karina walked inside the castle with a face void of any expression. She was hurt and pissed at Yeji. She already asked the girl if she loves someone else, but that girl denied it and started talking about how young they are.

"I would like to ask for forgiveness on my sister's behalf, Your Grace," Winter said as soon as she kept up with the older girl's pace. Karina scoffed and shook her head.

"It is her fault, not yours," Karina said. 

"I would like to talk to the King and Queen," Karina said to the palace guard. The latter looked at the shorter girl behind the Queen to ask for permission. 

"Let her," Winter said with authority. She held Karina's elbow gently and made her stand behind her.

"Let me talk to them. Stay put," Winter said. She entered the throne room first, feeling anxious.

"What brings you here?" The Queen asked. 

"Queen Karina of Kwangya had learned about Yeji's dalliance," she said. The King hummed as she looked at the girl behind her bastard daughter. 

"And? What about it?" He asked. Karina creased her forehead. 

"With all due respect, Your Majesty, your daughter is promised to marry me. It is her responsibility for her kingdom and people," Karina said and stood proudly. The King bite down a laugh and shook his head.

"As long as you are in my castle, you are not a Queen of anything. I want to remind you of that," the King said bashfully. Karina wanted to speak but Winter had already spoken on her behalf.

"How about I marry Queen Katarina, Father? I am also your daughter," she said nervously. Nobody talked for a while until the Queen burst out laughing. She even fanned herself gracefully before smirking in Winter's direction.

"You want to be in this family so badly, Winter?" She asked. There is a hint of condescending tone in that question, which hurt Winter. She only wanted the best for the people, and a little bit because of the girl standing behind her.

"Winter, you are not the Crown Princess nor are you a Princess. So, what you have suggested is plain foolish. I am disappointed in you." Nobody hurts like a but a father's disappointment in his child. Karina pat the younger's back gently. She cleared .

"You are basically telling me that we are playing a game here, Your Grace. If I am not here to wed, then I suggest I come home to my mother." Karina said. The King shrugged and stood up from his throne. 

"You can, but Kwangya would be in danger because of Trius. Are you really willing to compromise your kingdom just because you are so eager to marry my daughter?" Karina bit her tongue. She did not want to discuss it further. The ing absurdity of the situation is getting into her. The people who vowed to keep her safe are threatening her to submission.

Winter excused themselves. They went out of the room and walked towards the taller girl's room where Yeji is already waiting.

"I'll be outside when you need me," Winter mumbled. She looked at Yeji for a brief moment before getting out and closing the door behind her. 

"I'm sorry for what I have done earlier, Karina," Yeji said. Karina sat by the mirror and sat on the chair. She began removing all of the jewelry she is wearing. She looked at Yeji through the mirror.

"You do owe me an apology, but that one is meant for Winter. How could you lie to me, Yeji? You could have told me and I would have understood," Karina said calmly. Her calm voice is scarier and more demanding and authoritative than her normal voice. 

"I-I don't know. You are a precious friend, Karina. And I was scared that you might cause a ruckus and run away when you find out," Yeji paused before walking to Karina and helping her with the necklace. 

"I am concerned for your safety, as a friend. And this affair of mine, it started way before you got into here." Karina chuckled humorlessly. She stood up and glared at the Princess in front of her.

"You are so pathetic, Princess Yeji. You are a cheater, at least I think you are. But here you are, trying to reason, trying to explain. You are a cheater way before I got here. You could have just told me that," Karina said. She wants to pat herself for standing up to her fiancee. 

"I already told you! I am worried about your wellbeing!" Yeji roared. It took no effect on Karina. The latter even strut her way towards her bed and sat on its edge. Don't get her wrong, her heart still stings, but not as bad as this morning. She may need something in Kosmo, but she is a Queen. And as her mother taught her, no Queen backs down, especially when they are on the right side. 

"Yes, sure. Cheat on me and not tell me because you are worried I might run away. Why Yeji? Do you think I love you? Do you think I am in love with you? That after learning the truth, I would be hurt and run away like a ? Is that it?" Karina taunted. She never said she loves Yeji, she has a crush on her fiancee, sure. But love is just a word that can make anyone feel so ecstatic and depressed. And Yeji does not make Karina feel that way, not now, not then, not ever.

"Don't you? I heard you talking with your friends, Karina." Yeji said. 

"I worry for your kingdom, Yeji."

"Why?" Yeji's forehead creased. Why would Karina worry about Kosmo?

"Because their future leader is dumb." Yeji raised a brow, her forehead still creased. Karina chuckled, this time, amusedly. She clasps her hand together.

"You are just gonna believe everything you heard without checking the facts, Yeji? Without listening to all sides of the story? You are gonna be that kind of leader?" Karina asked, her lips tugged upwards. Yeji's face started to redden in embarrassment.

"Let's talk later." She said before going out of Karina's chamber. Karina rolled her eyes before heaving a sigh. She calmed her heart. Talking to Yeji made her nervous. She might put her in the dungeon, execute her, or surrender her to Trius, but she made her point. And she is so damn proud of herself.