Chapter Four

Reign

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Karina asked with a raised brow. Winter scoffed. 

"I'll see you." The younger said before leaving Karina alone inside her room. Winter walked towards her room and started to strip off her clothes. Her body is sweaty, she feels so sticky that she did not bother to put her clothes on her pile. 

She put her body inside her bathtub and sighed. Winter closed her eyes and think back. It has already been a day since Karina arrived in the castle, and she might have already changed something inside Winter. 


Winter woke up early the next day. She checked the food that the cooks are making for Karina and the visitors. Sure, they are inside Kosmo, but it is not wrong to be too careful, right?

"Bacon and eggs for breakfast?" A voice said from behind Winter. The younger girl hummed and nodded her head slowly. 

"You eat these, no? Tell me if you want something else." She said gently, her arms crossed as she leaned on the wall.

"Bacon and eggs are fine, Winter. Now, what's our agenda for today?" Karina asked and sat. The maids served her breakfast.

"Uh, can I have coffee?" 

"Get me milk," Winter added before sitting across Karina. The latter snorted and chuckled afterward. 

"Milk? Really?" Winter's forehead creased. She rolled her eyes.

"Did you just roll your eyes on Her Majesty?" The King asked sternly. Winter cleared and stood up. She bowed her head politely before standing behind Karina.

"I did not, my King. Something was in my eyes." The Queen of Kosmo shook her head dismissively.

"What a disrespectful bastard," she mumbled before looking at Karina and smiling widely. Winter balled her hands into a fist, her nails digging into her palms. 

"Excuse me, but can I eat my breakfast with Winter? Alone, if it is okay," Karina said and stood up. 

"Do as you please," the King mumbled. He was looking over at his daughter from another woman. 

"Thank you." Karina faced Winter and smiled. She held her fist and intertwined their fingers before gently pulling her outside the dining room. 

"Why did you do that? The Queen hates such act." Winter said worriedly, but at the same time, in awe. Nobody denied or in this case, did not eat with the King and Queen, not even their only daughter. 

"Then she can hate me. If she hates not eating with them, then I hate talking bulls about people. And you should too." Karina said and pulled her to the parking lot. 

"Where are we going?" Winter asked. The taller girl took out a car key from her pocket.

"We'll eat breakfast."

"Where?" Karina hopped inside the car and started to turn on the engine. She looked at Winter and pointed at the passenger seat. 

"Out! Maybe on a brunch restaurant down there or somewhere. We'll find breakfast," she said. 

"But aren't you in danger?" The taller girl tilted her head towards Winter and laughed hysterically.

"Isn't it your job to keep me safe?" Winter nodded, forming a thin line. 

"Then keep me safe," Karina said and started reversing the car.

"Should I drive?"

"Winter, you were tasked to keep me safe, not to drive me around. Besides aren't you just 15?" Winter scoffed and looked outside the car's window. 

"I am not just 15. I am fifteen," she said, clearly annoyed. 

"I know you know where Yeji is, Winter. And I'll appreciate it if you would tell me the truth." Karina suddenly said, her hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. Winter looked at her with a sad smile. 

"If I tell you, then where is my loyalty to my people?" Telling her Yeji's secret is not Winter's responsibility. But telling her would mean that she is a traitor. She cannot betray her sister. 

"I understand. I would have done the same thing." Karina said. She did not pry further, or force the younger girl to tell her. 

Karina is not dumb. She had a clue. Winter telling her such only confirmed her suspicion. Marrying Yeji is not because of their feelings for each other, it is because of necessity. They haven't talked about the ground rules, but Karina stayed faithful. 

"I am really sorry, Queen Katarina," Winter said apologetically. 

"Katarina, really?" Karina asked in disbelief as she took a sharp turn to the right. She giggled as she stepped on the accelerator harder. 

"What the , Karina?! Slow down, you fool!" Winter yelled and gripped the passenger seat. She heaved deep breaths as she looked in front. Karina's chuckled enveloping the whole car. 

"Aww, Winter is afraid of speed," she teased with a smirk. Karina slowed down when she saw a brunch restaurant nearby. She parked her car skillfully before looking at her company. 

"Okay, fine! I am sorry, Winter. It is my treat," Karina said and smiled. She remembered Winter getting on her nerves, yesterday. Now, she sure as hell gets on the younger girl's nerves. Winter rolled her eyes before unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Don't do that again, fool." She scolded before hopping out of the car. Karina chuckled to herself. She followed closely behind Winter. Her hands were inside the pocket of her coat.

"Aren't you cold?" She mumbled when she noticed Winter not wearing a coat. Winter looked back and shook her head.

"We are a few steps away inside the cafe, Karina." The latter scoffed. Karina saw a familiar figure when they entered the cafe. It was Yeji, acting so coupley with a bob-cut girl. Winter snickered under her breath before looking over at the taller girl. 

"Should we find another place?" She asked. 

"Uhm, let's not." 

Karina felt weird. She felt her heart stings so bad. She weakly sat at the table near the two. Yeji has her back on them, literally and figuratively,