getting used to it

Behind the Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taemin knew that Mr. Choi would ask about Chanho the next day and was prepared to answer whatever questions the older male had – he deserved that much. Therefore, he wasn’t hesitating when said male approached him first thing the next morning.

“Do you have any plans for lunch?” His boss asked and Taemin simply said to meet him downstairs the same time as the day before.

While walking to a new Chinese restaurant that had opened a few weeks prior, they were talking about a newly launched project. Both tiptoeing around the more sensitive topic of Chanho and the undefined relationship they were stuck in.

“I know you are wondering about Chanho, why are you not asking?” Taemin brought it up right after they had placed their order, knowing that Mr. Choi wondered about it.

“I didn’t know if you wanted to talk about it. So I… I was waiting for you to say something… I guess?”

“He’s fine. His classmates have been after him for a while and things escalated into a physical fight yesterday. To be fair, my boy was the one hitting first… Nevertheless, other kids took it as an opportunity to in. I have had a long phone call with the principal, and we are trying to find a solution. If I can find an affordable place near another school, I might have him transfer but that needs a lot more preparation.”

“Is there anything I can help you with?” Mr. Choi asked, looking serious and Taemin wondered there was something the older could do for them. Finding there were many things he could do but shouldn’t, Taemin shook his head. He couldn’t ask his boss for money. He couldn’t ask him to give him time off work to move apartments.

“I will manage. But thank you.” He said and Mr. Choi nodded.

“If there ever is anything, please don’t hesitate to tell me.”

“I won’t” Taemin answered, not sure if he really meant what he said or not.

“Why did Chanho hit another student?” Mr. Choi then asked and Taemin blushed. How was he supposed to tell his boss that he had told Chanho about an eventual second dad and that kids at his school were apparently raised in very conservative households? Despite knowing that it would be a bad idea to tell the truth, Taemin couldn’t come up with a believable lie that instant.

“Apparently they are homophobic -faces – sorry for my language – and were talking badly about me. I don’t know if I should be happy that he defended me or if I should be angry that he hit another kid.” Taemin sighed, hoping that Mr. Choi wouldn’t ask any further questions.

“Well deserved if you ask me… and, you know, this is the first time you have said that aloud.”

“What?”

“That about being interested in men. If I am honest, I have been confused and unsure for a while, wondering if approaching you even made sense. I guess it does?”

Taemin looked away and shrugged his shoulders. “I would rather not have people know; it would only make it harder for Chanho – which recent events have definitely proven.”

“So, how did those boys even know?” Mr. Choi asked the question the young father would rather not answer.

Taemin sighed and decided that it didn’t make any sense to make something up, truthfully answering the question even if he highly disliked that he had to.

“I asked Chanho if it mattered to him if he would get a second dad instead of a mother.”

“Why?” Mr. Choi asked, already sensing that this was about them.

“Are you seriously going to make me say it?” Taemin groaned and stuffed his mouth with noodles.

“You have already started – might just finish what you said. Or not?”

“I wanted to know if he was alright with me being with a man before asking you out for dinner.”

A smile formed on Choi Minho’s lips and for a few moments neither said anything and to Minho’s surprise it was Taemin who spoke up first.

“Anyways, I might have told Chanho that you would get ice cream with us this weekend.”

“I would love to.”

“I haven’t asked you yet.” Taemin complained but Mr. Choi just laughed.

“You didn’t have to. Because I would love to.”

After deciding that Saturday afternoon would be the most fitting for all of them, they finished their meal and a comfortable conversation developed naturally. All except for the honorifics that neither of them managed to get rid of.

“And please call me Minho while we are not at work, yes Taemin-ssi?”

“I’ll try, but I can’t promise anything. M- Minho-ssi?”

“Mhhh. Nice. I like the sound of that.”

 

 

Saturday came faster than Taemin had anticipated, and he exited the subway with an overly excited Chanho by his side.

“You didn’t tell him I cried last week, right?”

“Crying is nothing to be ashamed of.” Taemin tried but his son wouldn’t have any of his talk.

“I don’t want you to tell him.”

Taemin couldn’t but agree and soon enough they spotted the tall male standing by the side of exit 12 just as they had said.

“Uncle Minho!” Chanho shouted making said male turn towards them and Taemin saw a smile bloom on his usually cold face.

“There you are!” he said, greeted Taemin who arrived shortly after his son did.

Some random exchanges of information between Chanho and “Uncle Minho” later, the three of them walked to the coffee shop that apparently served the best ice cream waffles in Seoul - or so Choi Minho had promised.

His mouth full of delicious waffle, Chanho was happily telling Minho about a movie he had watched on Friday.

“You know? And then there was this huge whale, and the swarm of fish was opening up and let the whale through! He was so big. I really want to see a whale soon! Dad? Can we go to the sea in summer break?”

“Chanho-ya, I told you I can’t promise anything.  I think we can make it to the ocean but whales are hardly seen on the west coast so we would have to travel to the other side of the country, and I am not sure if that’s an option at the moment.” Taemin explained for the nth time.

“Maybe uncle Minho can drive? You can drive right?” Chanho said, looking at the older male with hopeful eyes.

“Uhm” Minho looked at Taemin with an unsure expression on his face. “I am not sure… I mean I could drive you…” He said, watching the young father’s face closely so he could shut up if he said something that the other didn’t like. “Actually, I did my military service in Pohang and there are quite a few whale watchers there. I could show you around.”

Taemin know he should have interrupted when he had the chance because empty promises were one of the things he hated the most. Something told him that this wasn’t an empty promise, so he let it slide and smiled instead but Chanho beat him with commentary.

“REALLY?!?!” the boy shouted, many heads turning their way.

“I…” Minho tried, looking for help in the young father who spoke up immediately.

“Those are big plans we are making Chanho-ya. Let’s take it slow. We will see if it is possible. Thank you for the offer – Minho-ssi.” Taemin said and said male smiled.

“I really want to go I reeeeaaally want to!!!” Chanho almost sang and Taemin took his fork to shove a piece of waffle in his mouth. “Umpf”

“Eat your waffle. We will talk about that when the school year is over.”

“Uncle Minho, do you know” Chanho chewed on the food in his mouth and Taemin rolled his eyes – the boy made it seem as if he hadn’t taught him ANY manners. “what else is-“ more chewing “in summer?”

Minho chuckled and shook his hea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter