not married

Behind the Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Goo Hyunjin was her name, her picture had been sent to Minho by his mother. The third woman just this month. She was pretty - tragic that it didn’t matter.

He groaned. It must be almost three years, ever since he turned twenty-nine that she was doing everything she could to set him up with a wife. Make him settle down. Have children, preferably an heir, and be the perfect son his family wanted him to be.

She was constantly setting up blind-dates that Minho despised going to but had no choice to avoid. At some point, he had stopped fighting and ever since then he had met woman after woman without remembering a single name past the first five minutes.

He usually let the women chose where to go because he didn't care anyway. Goo Hyunjin surprised him though, instead of most who chose to meet up in cafés or restaurants she messaged him to meet up at the aquarium.  At lest he could look at some fishes while he was getting over with it.

“Why did you choose to go to the aquarium?” He asked upon meeting her in front of it, genuinely curious for once.

“Why? Don’t you like it?”

“That’s not it. I was positively surprised.”

“Are the other women taking you to cafés and restaurants?” She pulled her long, wavy hair into a ponytail as she spoke.

“Pretty much yeah.” Minho admitted and offered his arm for his date to take – just that she didn’t. Instead, she walked ahead with a chuckle, leaving Minho standing with lips parted in surprise.

Their conversation was simple, and Minho found himself actually enjoying Hyunjin's company. Maybe she was a keeper? He could imagine living with her to make his family happy. Maybe he could even bring it up and produce some children, considering the fact that she was quite tall, not as fragile as the other tiny women his mother usually set him up with.

“You’re a decent guy, Minho-ssi.” Hyunjin said as they were sitting on a bench watching the huge tank filled with thousands of fish and small sharks. “How come you aren’t married yet?”

Minho was about to reply when he set his eyes on someone standing by the side of the glass front who was vaguely familiar. He couldn't help but take a closer look, squinting his eyes. It took a few more seconds to recognise him.

Lee Taemin?

He looked different? Was it really him?

After a few moments of staring at him, he found the reason for his confusion: Lee Taemin was glowing. He was smiling, he was laughing. Expressions Minho had never seen on the other’s face before.

“Just don’t feel like marrying.” Minho said, semi-consciously while he tilted his head to take a better look at his employee.

Shouldn't he be working on the report?

Minho was about to walk over to ask him why he wasn’t working, when he saw the source of Lee Taemin's smile: A boy, no older than ten jogged towards him, taking his hand as they walked to the next tank.

 

"Dad! Look there!" Chanho shouted while pointing at the sand in one of the tanks. "It's a fiddler ray! I have never seen one in real before! They always hide so well."

Taemin got closer. "Where? I don't see anything but sand!"

"Of course, you don't! They are masters of camouflage"

"So why do you see them then?" Taemin asked and Chanho had the perfect explanation:

"I am a kid he's not afraid of me!"

He then tried his best to explain where the perfectly camouflaged animal was hiding so his father could see it as well. Finally, after almost a minute Taemin found it, and the seven-year-old was clapping in excitement.

“I told you! He is so cool!”

“It could be a girl for all we know.” Taemin replied and Chanho shrugged, clearly not caring much.

As they passed the tanks, Taemin eagerly listened to his son explaining the different species they encountered despite having heard most of those facts many times already - not that he could remember them. His heart felt fuzzy and warm, filled with pride.

Ever since they had learned about marine life last year at school, Chanho had developed a passion for the sea.

A passion that Taemin now, at least partly, shared.

"I want to go and see the jellyfish!" The boy said and ran away, knowing exactly where to go. With as much time as they had spent at the aquarium the past year, Taemin could be sure that Chanho knew the way around perfectly, as well as the rules he had set for their visits.

If one of them lost the other they would meet up at the penguins. That wasn't needed today though, as Taemin found his son with his face pressed against the glass of the jellyfish tank.

"Do you see more that way young man?" He said as he approached him and Chanho turned around.

"They are so high up! Hold me up!!!" The boy said, aware that his father wouldn't say no.

"There we go" Taemin said while getting Chanho onto his shoulders, definitely not as elegantly as he used to, balancing the boy' weight like the pro he was but struggling with his weight. His son definitely wasn't getting any lighter.

"More to the left dad!" The command came from above and the young father did as he was told, moving a bit to the left. Chanho was heavy and after a few minutes he took a hold of boy to get him down. When the youngster complained, Taemin just smiled and ruffled his hair.

"You are not a baby anymore Chanho-ya. I cannot carry you for such a long time anymore."

"One day, I will be taller than you!"

"Okay okay. Is this a bet?"

"Yes. 10'000₩"

"Deal."

Taemin smiled as he shook his son's hand to seal the deal. The latter also had a cheeky smile on his face. They weren't the only two smiling that moment though. Choi Minho was standing just a few meters away, unable to prevent his lips pulling up into a small smile while watching the two interact.

Ever since he first spotted the usually bland, tired employee, Minho kept watching him as secretly as possible. The conversation with Hyunjin moved to the back of his consciousness while his gaze kept finding the young boy who made Lee Taemin glow in a way he had never seen before.

He wasn't close enough to hear what they were talking about, and Minho started wondering what their relationship was. Was it a nephew?

"Do you know them?" Hyunjin asked upon noticing Minho’s attention sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter