-5-

Honey Tangerine

There's a figure of a person standing by the other door and she knew all too well who that person was. It's Wendy and dear god all she could think of in that second was to run, it would be so embarrassing if she saw Joohyun two seconds away from hooking up with a college girl she barely knows. But that thought quickly disappeared because as soon as the other door opened, the image of her brother and her best friend's boyfriend making out had been unveiled right in front of their eyes.
 

Sehun's back was pushed against the wall while the other person, who's none other than her ex boyfriend Kai, got his body pressed on him while ravaging his lips. It took them seconds before one of them realized someone was watching them.

"!" 

"I-I--" Wendy's mouth went agape, she was definitely fazed by what she just witnessed that she couldn't even form a coherent word.

"What the ?!" Joohyun's voice clearly startled the whole room because Wendy turned to her, shock evident in her face, and all Joohyun could feel in that moment was rage. How could Kai do this to Wendy? Her Wendy that she chose to entrust to him. Joohyun didn't care anymore, she marched liked an angry soldier right towards the boys and started throwing punches. "I'm going to kill you both!"

Luckily, Wendy quickly snapped out of her trance and her first instinct was to wrap her arms around Joohyun to stop her from inflicting more damage. "Joohyun, stop. Calm down."

"What do you mean calm down?! These scums are ting on you right on your face!" She turned towards the two again, "I can't believe you're cheating on my best friend with my brother, you piece of ! And you, Sehun, I expected better from you! How could you do this to my best friend?!" 

"Jesus Christ, sis. You need to stop yelling at my face. It's not what you think." Sehun said while buttoning his shirt so coolly and it infuriated his sister more.

"Oh great. If it's not cheating then what? C'mon Sehun, tell me what the you were doing with this five seconds ago."

Kai couldn't even speak to save his life, Bae Joohyun scared the out of him. Wendy being the angel that she was stepped in finally and held on to her best friend's hand, "K-Kai and I broke up a little while ago. It's okay, Joohyun, really."

"I'm finally making out with my man and you just had to me like that. I hope your gay don't get laid forever." Sehun rolled his eyes and stepped out of the bathroom with Kai while holding his hand.

Joohyun's mouth formed a big O and her dumbo ears went red right after. So that's how embarrassing yourself feels like, she thought. 

"I'm so glad I came to this party." Lisa snickered to herself while looking so amused watching the idiot bunch, she thought it's best to go and not involve herself in the high school drama. 

 

 

The drive home was fairly quiet, the tension between them was too obvious because Joohyun wasn't averting her attention from the road while Wendy's breathing heavily in her seat. Although there's a lot of that happened that night, there's one thing that's stuck on the passenger's mind and she's been itching to talk about it but she's also unsure if it's her place to ask about it. When they reached her home, she invited Joohyun over and the girl didn't decline. 

Wendy couldn't take it anymore and just went with it, "Joohyun I-"

"Why did you--ugh, if you've just left the game earlier and didn't get yourself blackout drunk, everything--" Joohyun's dismay was evident, her brows are knitted together and her lips were pursed. She took off her shoes and sat down on the bed. Wendy was pacing back and forth while fidgeting with her hands. 

"Well...you guys wanted me to live a little and--are you really blaming me for what happened earlier?"

"I'm not. I'm just saying if you weren't so drunk, you wouldn't feel the need to hurl your guts out in that goddamned bathroom. And living a little doesn't mean telling everyone about your private life."

"First of all, my life is my own business and you don't get to tell me what I should and shouldn't do at a party." Wendy stood in front of her, arms crossed and eyebrows furrowed. Joohyun's in big, big trouble and she regretted opening in that moment. It's always the kind ones who gets scary when they're real mad and Wendy's a solid proof to that. "Second, I wasn't blackout drunk and I was just going to freshen up that's why I went there. Lastly, you're not as innocent as you make yourself out to be. Don't think I didn't notice that sketchy looking girl you're with when you entered the room. You certainly didn't come there to read the bible with her." Wendy just had to finish that build up with a blow, "If you weren't so h-word, you wouldn't have entered the room and made a scene that embarrassed you and your brother. If I was the only one there, I would've just turned my back and go."What the hell is h-word? That was pathetic. 

Joohyun couldn't even think of any strong come back to that. Anything that would come out of now would just be things that she forced herself to keep on the back of her mind, "Now I'm the bad guy when I was just looking out for you because I care about you. You never told me that you broke up with Kai--well, you don't even tell me things about you nowadays, but that's okay, maybe I'll just stop caring about your ." She didn't mean that and she kicked herself mentally as soon as it came out of . She's just so worked up because of all the fighting and being angsty that she just wanted to take a breath for a second. She stood up from her seat and moved to get some literal fresh air by the window. "I'm so done with this."

"There goes our nine years of friendship."

"Oh my god, Son Seungwan!" Joohyun face palmed herself in annoyance. "That's not what I meant!"

"Whatever, you should go. I don't need you." The girl saw how Wendy's face changed from mad to sulky. She pouted like a kid and went to hide under the duvet. Joohyun just couldn't resist that girl and she would do just about everything to make sure she would never lose her.

She sighed with a soft smile on her face still, although she was a little worried that their situation would never get better. "Come out."

"No!"

Joohyun knelt on the floor next to the bed, "Then can I join you instead?" She poked her head inside the duvet. "Hi." She was looking at Wendy with a soft expression, but the girl refused to meet her eyes and stayed quiet while curled up like a ball. 

"Jerk."

"I'm sorry for being a jerk, okay? It wasn't your fault for what had happened earlier. I was just frustrated because the truth or drink game really got on my nerves, I didn't like what I heard and as your best friend, I don't like that they're using your private life to fuel their disgusting fantasies. They didn't deserve to know you like that."

"The things I said back there weren't true. I just said those things because I didn't want to be a party pooper. I'm sorry, I know you were just looking out for me. And I didn't tell you about the break up because Kai asked me to keep it a secret and I wouldn't want to disrespect him in any way."

"Wouldn't want to disrespect him in any way?! That jerk really broke up with you and had the audacity to ask you a favor, he deserves to be more than just disrespected! I need to beat his !"

Wendy giggled at her fuming best friend, "We kind of broke up with each other at the same time so it's all good."

"Y-You did? Why?"

"I guess I realized that I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be if I dated him. He's a good guy and everything but...it kind of felt like there's always something missing and I felt bad getting frustrated because he isn't--" You. The word almost slipped, but then suddenly she remembered her best friend was with someone earlier which prompted her to ask her about it. Joohyun was looking intensely at her, anticipating what she's going to say next. "What happened to the girl you're with earlier?"

"He isn't what?" Joohyun almost pulled her hair in frustration, Wendy changing topics in the middle of a serious conversation irked the hell out of her.

"Are you gonna tell me or?"

"I don't know. She disappeared." She shrugged, she didn't really care about her anymore.

"Do you have her number?"

"Yep."

"Are you gonna call her?"

"What happened to my life is my own business?" Joohyun giggled and pulled her head back from the inside of the duvet. She stood up from the floor and fixed her clothes while Wendy uncovered her upper body. Her pout was too evident but her best friend was annoyingly indifferent about it. "I'm going home, it's late." She pulled the duvet back up on Wendy's body just below her chin and just before she turned the lights off completely, the girl held on her free hand. 

Wendy was hesitant to say what's on her mind, but just by thinking about Joohyun possibly meeting someone at this time of the night worried her, "Just stay and sleep with me."

Joohyun couldn't explain it, but Wendy looked like she really wanted her to be there. They've had thousands of sleepovers but this was the only night when it felt different. Joohyun being the whipped gay that she was couldn't say no so she joined her best friend on the bed and timidly lied down. Thank god she was facing her back because it would've been so awkward if they're looking at each other now. While Joohyun's having inner gay panic, the other girl couldn't take her mind off of the thought of Joohyun calling that girl from earlier and it twisted something inside her. Her back was turned against Joohyun so she "innocently" scooted closer and grabbed ahold of the other's hand and wrapped it around her. She didn't stop there, she slipped her leg in between Joohyun's too and the latter couldn't wrap her mind around what's going on since this is a next level type of clinginess Wendy's showing. 

"This is a little bit uncomfortable, it's hot, you know?"

"It's because you're wearing too many layers of clothing, take off your jacket."

Joohyun blushed at how Wendy said that so casually. Having skin to skin contact didn't sound so great in Joohyun's part because it will just make her crave some more and that's not what she wants when Wendy doesn't even know her true feelings. "Can't you just...move?"

"No."

"Son Seungwan, when did you become this selfish?"

"Since when did you not like cuddling with me?"

"Stop answering questions with another question."

"Then stop talking."

"Wha? This is crazy. I can't sleep here when you're giving me a headache." Joohyun retracted her arms and legs from the girl's body.

"That's not the only thing you're gonna get if you try leave."

"I'm seriously leaving if you continue acting like a brat."

"What, so you could meet up with that sketchy girl from earlier?"

"Oh. My. God. What's your problem? Why are you trying to pick a fight with me again?" Joohyun really was ready to go home and Wendy could only curse at herself internally for acting so mean and weird towards her. She sat up straight, getting ready to leave, but the other girl got up too and clung onto her torso.

"Don't go, Joohyunnie."

"Son Seungwan, let go." Joohyun's hurting because of her clinginess and Wendy doesn't have any idea what it does to her, "Stop torturing me like this." She pressed her hands on her face and Wendy stopped what she's doing.

"What?"

"I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore. I've been trying really hard to stop myself, but you make it so hard not to feel something when I'm with you. Yes, Seungwan, I'm in love with you. There, I finally said the real reason why I've been acting weird. I know you don't see me the way I see you and when you do things that makes my heart flutter, it hurts me at the same time...a lot." 

Joohyun's been enduring so much all this time and she was too blind and selfish for putting her through that. "Joohyun." Wendy retracted her hands from the girl's body and moved over to her thighs to be face to face with her. 

Joohyun looked up at her, she thought she made herself clear that Wendy's hurting her when she's too close. "I just said--" Wendy inched closer as she tried to press her lips onto Joohyun's but the latter was too quick to back up. When the girl on top of her was going in again, her reflex was to push her away. "What are you doing?"

"I love you too, Joohyun."

"If you're only saying it out of pity, I swear to god our friendship's over. This is not it, Son Seungwan. This is the worst possible thing you could ever do to me." Joohyun covered her lips and averted her eyes because she's about to cry. Wendy really needs to stop this act because she might go insane. 

"He isn't you."

"What?"

"I broke up with Kai because he isn't you. He doesn't know me like you do. He treats me well but you treat me the way I want to be treated. While I was in that relationship, I felt so guilty because it's you I was thinking about all the time and not him. I wasn't mad, I was jealous of the people getting close to you not because they could replace me as your best friend, but I was scared that you might fall in love with them. I didn't tell you my real feelings when I realized everything because I was scared that our friendship will get ruined if I ever tell you that I like you that way. Everything will be different, we could hurt each other and worse is we could break up. I don't ever want to lose you. I'm really sorry for making you mad and confused. When I saw you with that college girl, I just...I couldn't accept that you could like someone else that way. I was so jealous, I hate the idea of you kissing and possibly dating someone else because I want you to only like me, Joohyun."

Joohyun was speechless, shock was evident in her eyes. She didn't hear her wrong, right? 

"I'm sorry I tried to kiss you." Wendy tried to move away from her, but Joohyun only held her down.

"Is everything you said true?" She asked and the girl nodded timidly. "Seungwannie..." Joohyun enveloped her in a hug, "You're driving me crazy."

"I'm sorry."

"There are a lot of uncertainties that worry me, but one thing that I'm confident that's certain is that we're never going to break up. Ever. You and I won't let that happen so let's trust each other that we can work this out, okay?" Wendy looked up at her and felt ease because of her words. "I love you, Son Seungwan."

Wendy looked into her eyes and gently cupped her chin. Slowly she inched closer again and this time, when she pressed her lips on Joohyun's, the girl was more than willing and has no hesitations. Their lips finally captured each other in a chaste kiss and Joohyun was feeling all sorts of things after finally getting a taste of what she's been longing for for so long, and of course naturally, it wasn't enough for her, not when she confirmed Wendy has feelings for her too. She clearly wanted more. "Wow."

The latter smiled at her, feeling so elated for what had just transpired, but that smile turned into shock the moment Joohyun pulled her to kiss her again and this time it's deeper, "More." And Wendy did so willingly, her kisses were gentle and innocent despite the urgency of Joohyun's needs. "Kiss me more, Seungwan."

Things were getting more heated as they dive into unexplored places. While their lips were busy lip locking, Joohyun's free hands were roaming somewhere underneath Wendy's shirt, slowly making their way up to her upper body and the moment they landed on her desired place and grabbed them, Wendy stopped kissing her and pulled away. "Yah! Bae Joohyun, what do you think you're doing?!" 

Joohyun couldn't hold back her laugh because of how red Wendy turned while covering her chest, "Alright, alright. No touching."

"Jeez, Kai was my boyfriend but even he didn't make it to that part." She mumbled to herself as she left Joohyun's thighs and went back to lie down on her side of the bed.

"Aww come back here, I want to kiss my best friend more." She teased. Wendy sneered at her and turned her back on her. Joohyun giggled at her and wrapped her arm around her waist, making her the little spoon. "I'm sorry, I got a little excited."

"A little?!"

"Yes, only a little. There are other stuff that I could've done that are much worse tha--"

"Oh my god, Joohyun, stop talking. You're saying a lot of embarrassing stuff. Where do you even learn that?"

"Um duh, there's internet and I happen to watch a lot of--"

"You're really into those kind of things, huh."

"I'm into you."

Wendy giggled at her best friend's flirty tone and turned to face her. Joohyun was looking at her lovingly and Seungwan was getting shy that she couldn't meet her eyes, "Stop staring."

"I won't take my eyes off of you, ever."

"It's weird to hear you say things like that to me...but I really like how it makes me feel. My heart's beating really fast right now."

"That's good to know because I have a lot more cheesy lines to say to you."

"I'll be looking forward to that." Wendy buried her face on the crook of Joohyun's neck and sighed, "I'm sleepy."

"Then let's sleep, my sonshine."

"You're killing me."

"I'll heal you with my love."

"Joohyun!"