-1-

Honey Tangerine

Having a crush is just so overrated. What? It’s true. When Joohyun hears her classmates shrieking and acting foolish whenever an unattractive boring creature passes by their homeroom, she rolls her eyes and judge them real hard. It doesn’t bother her even a little when kids at school call her ice princess, they call her that because she always says that she doesn’t have a crush on anyone and often times ignore kids who profess their “love” for her. Waiting for someone to return your feelings is just a waste of time and it’s weird, and her seven-year-old self's already aware of how ridiculous puppy love is.

 

Well, that was her before Son Seungwan came to the picture and decided to turn her world upside down. First day at second grade, as usual, Joohyun's bored and ready to go home anytime, but then her attention was suddenly caught when a new girl, smaller than her was being cornered by her classmates. 

“Mr. Park said you’re from overseas!” A nosy girl said while jumping in excitement.

“So you’re Canadian?” And another one. 

“Do you speak Korean?”  

It’s a bother, but Joohyun couldn’t handle the noise anymore so she stood up to shoo the seagulls away and glared at them when she heard low mumbles. “You good?” She turned to the new girl who was looking at her like she’s some blessed creature who came to save the day. She nodded timidly and looked down. “I’m Bae Joohyun by the way, what’s your name?”

“Son Seungwan, but people call me Wendy back in Canada.”

“Oh okay, but I like Seungwan better...Would you like to sit with me, Seungwannie?”

“Yeah.” Her face brightened up and Joohyun felt her heart flutter because of how cute and fluffy she looked.

Starting from that day, the two girls developed a special bond that led to them being each other’s best friend. Joohyun became Seungwan’s savior, while the latter became the former’s sanctuary. Not only that, the slightly older one grew romantic feelings for her, but her younger self just pushed it to the back of her innocent mind and made herself believe that it’s just her nature to be protective and caring towards Seungwan and that she loves treating her like a sister.

 

Years passed, and still, they remained being joined at the hip and have each other’s backs whenever they needed help and support from the other. They witnessed each other grow, discover new things, graduate middle school, and a lot more that would take forever to mention one by one. Everything between them was going well until...

 

Wendy’s heart had been hammering in her chest and she's about to pee herself from panic. She was at the school bathroom, hiding in a cubicle while waiting for her best friend to come. Wendy just left the music room and Kai, a schoolmate and the popular vocalist of a local band, had just asked her out on a date on freaking Saturday which would be two days away. She couldn't believe he would even ask her out because he has a lot of fangirls and she's just...simple and boring Wendy who plays the saxophone in the school band. 

The bathroom door opened, "Wannie?"

"In here." She said and Joohyun locked the door.

"You are such a dork, why are you hiding there? Did you get a period stain? Is that why you called me?" 

"It's so much worse than a period stain." She came out looking dazed and flustered.

Joohyun put her hands on her waist. "Is someone messing with you? Because I'd whoop their if they do." 

"I got asked out on a date." Wendy blurted out and the older girl stiffened in place. That definitely shut her up and made her coldly stare at her anxious best friend. "Did you hear what I just said? I got asked ou--"

"I heard you right." She took a slow deep breath as she crossed her arms then asked, "Who is it?"

She paced around while Joohyun's eyes were darted at her. "It's Kai. Kim Jongin. You know him right? Well how could you not know him when he's the literally the content of everybody's phones. I'm going to pass out, is this really happening? Oh my god, why me? I'm literally the most basic person in this school and oh my god we're going to the amusement park on Saturday and I have nothing to wear and I look ugly. And his fans, oh dear oh god they're going to come for me and ruin my life when they find out about us going on a freaking date."

While Wendy was having her monologue, Joohyun felt the searing pain developing in her chest, she's trying to convince herself yet again that it's only natural for her to react that way because she gets really overprotective when it comes to Wendy. They have been best friends since second grade and she's important to her. It's only natural to feel just a teeny tiny bit annoyed, right? She just doesn't want her to be around stinky good for nothing boys. "Why don't you just tell him you can’t make it? So you won't have to deal with...future problems." She suggested.

"I already told him yes so...there's really no going back. I need you, can you come over to my house later after school? Let's talk later, I have my next class in like two minutes, I'll see you later Joohyunnie!" Wendy gave her a quick hug and bolted out of the bathroom.

She clenched her fists and groaned, "Why am I being weird?"

 

Joohyun laid down on Wendy's bed while she watched her frantically rummage on her closet, looking for what to wear on her date. There weren't much choices besides t-shirt and flannels. Of all the pretty and popular girls in school, why didn't he just ask one of them? Why must he choose her? She groaned and threw away the shirts in frustration.

"This is amusing, I've never seen you look so frustrated besides that project you did for science fair." She rolled over and snickered. "Just cancel the date, we could just hangout here and watch a movie or something instead. You won't have to dress fancy because I've seen you in your morning face and smelled your stinky fart."

Wendy cleaned up the mess she made and huffed, "You don't understand."

"I don't understand what? That you're out here stressing yourself looking for what to wear because you want to impress him, while he would just probably throw on something like a t-shirt and flip-flops. Please." She rolled her eyes.

"You really don't understand me, Joohyunnie. It's my first time to be asked out on a date, of course I want to look nice and not like a clown." She sat down next to her and dreamily thought about the boy. "It feels so...nice, I mean, it's not everyday that a popular boy who's in a cool band asks me out on a date. I feel like I'm in a chick flick movie. I feel like I'm the prettiest girl in school...scratch that, in the whole world." Joohyun could practicaly see the stars shining in her eyes and she was just in complete disbelief of what she’s seeing at the moment. Why must her best friend be so goddamn naive? He probably has a secret motive and Wendy’s too lovesick to see right through him.

You're already the prettiest girl in the whole world, you don't need him to make you feel that. "That's so lame."

"Why are you being mean?" She crossed her arms and furrowed her eyebrows. Joohyun had been nothing but unsupportive with her date. She’s her best friend, but she wasn’t acting like one. "I shouldn't have invited you over, you're not even helping me pick an outfit."

Of course, big bad Joohyun instantly felt guilty so she mentally slapped herself and squeezed her best friend’s hand, "Ugh, I'm sorry, okay? Fine, I'll lend you an outfit. Happy now?"

Wendy shrieked, "Thank you thank you thank you! You're the best best friend ever!" She practically put her in a headlock and peppered kisses all over her face. Whenever her best friend does things like that to her, Joohyun's heart would race and her stomach would be filled with butterflies. When Wendy would become too clingy and kiss her whenever, she's unaware that she's making her ecstatic and guilty at the same time for enjoying it a lot. Seeing her happy with that familiar beautiful smile would instantly make her day, but it pained her at the same time because she's not supposed to feel that way. She really doesn't have a choice but to act fine and indifferent, after all, they're just each other's best friend.

"I'm your only best friend.” She pried her off because a little more of having Wendy's kisses would send her soul to hell. 

"I have one more problem." 

"What?"

"I'm nervous and I don't know what to do, you know I've never been on a date. I have a favor to ask." She dragged her sentence, "Please don't get mad at me."

"Get to the point, Wannie. I'll get mad either way." She sat up straight and faced her best friend.

"Can you come with me to my date?" She timidly said and Joohyun had to take a deep breath so she could calm her nerves and not lash out on her. Of all the favors she could ask, it was the one thing she would never want to do. To see her best friend get all lovey-dovey with a boy—that would be very irritating. 

"No! That’s ridiculous! And that's not how a date works and who idiot would want to third wheel? You're going to make me feel like a loser." Why must she make me go through the worst thing ever?

She pouted, "Please Joohyunnie, you won't have to tag along with us, just come to the amusement park and you can bring your friend, Seulgi, so you won't be alone. After the date, you can ask any favor from me, you can make me do whatever you want and I would buy you your favorite ice cream sandwich plus tteokbokki!" Tempting. “If the date , you’d be there to save me.” Very tempting.

Joohyun contemplated and thought about her choices thoroughly, if she wouldn't go, she would probably mope around all day and text Wendy every minute to know what’s going on, but if she goes to the damned amusement park, she would be able to monitor his actions and make sure that he wouldn't do disgusting things to her. After what seemed like forever, she stopped being lost in her own world and answered Wendy, "Fine, I have a condition though."

"What?"

“I’ll come, but you should maintain at least two feet away from him, no holding hands, even pinky holding’s not allowed.” She deadpanned.

“But that would be weird.”

“Okay, go on by yourself then.”

Wendy’s cute pout almost worked on Joohyun, but the latter did all she could to prove she has the upper-hand. “Ugh fine.”

“That’s a good girl. I’m just looking out for you, Wannie.” She ruffled her hair and chuckled at her best friend’s grumbling.

“I’m not your dog!” She whined as she neatly combed her hair with her hands. “You’re annoying.”

“You’re such a baby.” She teased more. “Aww are you gonna cry baby Wendy? Boohoo.” Her back suddenly collided with the mattress because the other pinned her down and tickled her sides. She shrieked and laughed uncontrollably. “Stop it!”

“That’s what you get for teasing me!”

Joohyun was stronger so she flipped them over to get back at the other, but before she could even return the tickles, she froze when she noticed their position. Wendy’s trapped underneath her, their faces were only a few inches away and when their eyes met, it because she could only see playfulness behind the other’s beautiful eyes. It shouldn’t be awkward at all, but her wicked mind was making lots of thoughts. Getting too close to her best friend now was like playing with fire. She cleared and slid off the girl, “I should go home.”

“Why? It’s still early.”

“I have homework.” It’s not a complete lie, but Wendy’s used to her staying ‘til late even when she’s swamped with school works.

“You’re lying.”

“I’m not.”

“You are, I know you so well.”

“Do you, really?”

“What do you mean?”

“Never mind, since you’re begging me to hangout with you longer, would you like to go for a stroll?”

Wendy smiled widely that her cheeks looked like mochi, she loves it when Joohyun and her would go out for a stroll in her car. They would roll the windows down, look up to see the stars and listen to their favorite songs on their shared playlist. It’s on top of the list of her favorite things to do with her favorite person. “Ruffling my hair, taking me out for a stroll, always telling me what to do...Joohyunnie, do you think I'm your pet?”

Joohyun burst out laughing and tugged on her hand, “My life would be so dull without you. Your mom's home, right? You think you could sneak out?"

"Yeah just wait in your car, I'll use my window like I always do."

 

Joohyun parked her car in a hill they claim as their spot where they could see the moon and stars clearly. Wendy opened the door of the passenger side and transferred to the backseat and the other did the same. That’s just them, they enjoy the same simple things and for them it’s already special, being together is where they feel safe and happy. Wendy lied down on Joohyun’s lap and the latter observed her as she traced the outlines of her face with her index finger. She would be lying if she said she never dreamed of kissing her best friend’s innocent soft lips.

“Joohyunnie.”

“Hmm?”

“What’s it like to kiss someone?”

She almost choked at her question, her best friend really knows how to knock the air out of her lungs, “W-why are you asking me that?” Now she’s blushing.

“I don’t know, something weird just came to me. Never mind what I just asked.” She hid her embarrassment with a timid smile. The silence that followed sparked an uncomfortable feeling to the both of them. Even though they’re closer than close, talking about love and romance has always been an avoided topic. Joohyun doesn’t like talking about it, so Wendy got influenced by it when they were kids and now that they’re older, of course it’s something that she’d be curious about. 

"Tell me what's up.” She pried while looking out of the window beside her. Her voice sounded bored, but deep inside her mind’s already running a hundred miles per second. Is she thinking about kissing Kai on their first date? 

"Well...everybody probably has done it and I just feel left out not having any experience. Even you have already kissed Park Bogum back in sixth grade.”

“That was because of a stupid dare, I don’t even want to remember it.”

“So? You still kissed him, what was it like?”

“It was weird, I guess? I felt anxious at first and after it happened, it felt nothing because I know I have no feelings for him and we probably looked like two goldfish trying to make a decent lip lock so whenever I randomly remember that thing, I cringe a lot.” She pinched her nose in amusement, “I know what’s on your mind. You’re thinking about kissing Kai. That’s not allowed too.”

Wendy pried her fingers off, “Why?”

“Because I said so.”

She turned away from her and pouted, “You used to be so cool, Joohyunnie. Now you just boss me around telling me what to do and not to do, you’re acting like a mom but worse.”

“You probably think I’m the evil stepmother, but like I said, I'm just looking out for you." 

"So unfair, you get to try all these things without me policing you, but here you are banning me to do what other normal teenagers do. So uncool."

"Go ahead then, do whatever you want, but don't come running to me when you get hurt." Wendy got up, her eyebrows were furrowed and her lips were curled into a frown. "What? You don't want me to care for you. Go ahead, do stuff that could hurt you, I don't give a ." She playfully shoved her shoulder and arm. The younger looked upset with her actions, but wasn't budging in her seat. "Oh she's mad. I’m kidding, alright? I'm stopping now." She bit her lip and her cheeks were turning red because she's trying so hard to stop herself from laughing. 

"You're the worst."

Joohyun suddenly latched her arm on her shoulder and clung onto her, "You still love me, right?" Those three words with eight letters was something they don't oftenly say to each other, but Joohyun just felt the need to hear it. Even if Wendy doesn't mean it romantically whenever she says it to her, it still made Joohyun feel a hundred times better. To be able to see and hear her say it directly towards her was already enough. 

"Yes, I love you even if you're a meanie."

 

 

~I'll try to update often :)