-2-

Honey Tangerine

Saturday came by quickly and Joohyun wanted nothing more but to stay home and pretend she's sick so she won't have to see Wendy on a date with some guy. She mentally slapped herself for agreeing to come, but she can't back down now especially when she just bought two amusement park tickets for her and Seulgi. Seulgi's pretty much the only person Joohyun trusts besides Wendy and although she appears to be clueless and naive, she's actually figured everything out about Joohyun's feelings. She just chooses to be quiet and let the girl herself figure out her real feelings. After all, she knows Joohyun's attitude and how she wouldn't accept what she has to say because she's in denial as hell. Now she's stuck with her for a whole day and though she likes the peace of being alone, she found hanging out with Joohyun and listening to her jealous rants amusing. 

The two girls were a few meters away from the couple--the best friend watching them like a hawk. "Oh look at them being two feet apart." Joohyun was smiling proudly, Wendy actually listened to her by keeping her distance but she forgot that Kai and her never had the same agreement. He suddenly put his arm over her shoulder and led them towards the cute cafe. "I'm gonna kill him."

"You're not killing anybody." Seulgi laughed.

"We're coming over. Can't let that man out of my sight." Joohyun dragged the bear towards the cafe.

 

The two sat a few tables away and while Seulgi was meticulously choosing between a clubhouse sandwich and a veggie panini, Joohyun was getting irritated because she couldn't see what's happening with the couple because their backs were her.

"That waitress has something against me for sitting us here where I couldn't clearly see what's happening over there." Joohyun huffed and sipped her tall cherry soda. 

"Oh come on girl, just relax. I'm sure he won't do anything she wouldn't like."

Just when Seulgi finished that statement, Kai tried to be romantic and cute and held up a spoonful of his mint choco ice cream and practically urged Wendy to eat it. Joohyun knows every food that Wendy hates and anything that's mint choco flavored is on top of that list. She saw how her best friend faked a smile because of the gesture and hurriedly excused herself to go to the bathroom after she forced herself to eat the awful dessert. 

Joohyun smirked to herself, "Strike one." 

Seulgi noticed her triumphant smile and couldn't help but to comment, "You're sick for being happy that he's making mistakes."

"Yah, if you don't shut up I won't pay for your food." Seulgi made a zipping gesture on and proceeded to enjoy her clubhouse sandwich. "That's what I thought."

 

There are things in life that you must endure, but eating mint choco ice cream was just not it, and Wendy could forgive Jongin for that. It's just the beginning of their "getting to know" phase and she understands that he's just being nice and unaware of things she dislikes. With that, she put on the game face again and went back to their table. Wendy almost didn't notice Joohyun on the other side of the cafe eating with Seulgi. When her best friend noticed that she's looking, Joohyun winked at her and Wendy sent her a gentle smile. It was her idea to have Joohyun bring Seulgi along, but unbeknownst to her best friend, she's always had this unsettled feeling deep inside of her when she sees them together. Don't get her wrong, Seulgi and her don't have any bad blood between them but she kinda feels like Seulgi could easily replace her as Joohyun's best friend. 

"You okay?" Kai asked, still munching on his food.

"Yeah, great." She faked a smile yet again. 

Joohyun was almost finished eating when suddenly, the waitress placed a new plate of sandwich on their table. "Oh we didn't order that."

"I did." Sehun, Joohyun's step brother, showed up and sat with them casually.

"Why are you here? You're not invited." She shoved him away, but he put her in a headlock and ruffled her hair.

"I invited myself."

Seulgi giggled at the siblings' behavior, "If I didn't know you two, I'd never assume that you both are the gayest of the gays at school."

"Oh my god Seulgi shut up." The siblings said at the same time.

"This day's going to be so interesting, glad I brought my camera with me." The bear smirked and the two rolled their eyes on her. 

 

After eating lunch, Wendy and Kai strolled around more and found a cute small photobooth that's being lined up by couples. Wendy, being the hopeless romantic that she is, has always had this list of things she wants to do during a date and taking photo in a photobooth was one of them. She hasn't even said a word about wanting to go and Kai already showed enthusiasm lining up to it. He grabbed her arm gently but before he could lead her to the booth, he stopped in his tracks when he saw Sehun and the others. 

"H-hey." Kai was stunned by his sudden appearance. 

"Aw, you two look so cute." Sehun grinned like there's a meaning behind them. 

"What's going on?" Wendy mouthed at Joohyun and the latter could only answer a shrug.

"You didn't tell me you're dating again. I thought--" 

Kai averted his gaze and picked up Wendy's hand, "Well, what can I say? This angel really makes my heart flutter just by existing. Although she's beautiful, smart and talented like a lot of other people, she has this quality that's different that I see in her and that's what makes her interesting and I could go on and on about what I like about her, but I'll sound so cheesy she might get sick of me on our first date so yeah..."

That statement definitely made everyone shut the up especially the girl he's pertaining to. Wendy's heart skipped a beat and she's unsure whether it's because of his words or the way everyone practically heard what he just said or the way Joohyun sent him death glares. "Man, have you always been this cheesy?" Sehun smirked.

"Look! It's our turn." Seulgi pointed at the vacant photobooth and even though nobody (except Seulgi who's enjoying the show) wanted to take a picture anymore because of the awkwardness, they all shrugged and still went with it.

Wendy and Kai awkwardly sat in the middle, while Joohyun stood on Wendy's side and Sehun on Kai's side, Seulgi stood on the middle behind the couple and made peace signs on her hands. She really was enjoying everything that's happening, "Everyone say gay!!"

*capture

"What?"

"Oh come on, look alive people!" Sehun winked and posed while latching his arm on Kai's neck and Joohyun's eyebrows furrowed when she saw that his arm was around Wendy's torso. She couldn't take this anymore. Just before the timer went off, she suddenly grabbed Wendy's shoulder and made her lean towards her. The girl was caught off guard by her best friend's gesture, but didn't think much about it. Maybe...Joohyun just really wanted to take a picture with her.

 

The group then went on a scary booth because Sehun wanted to. Wendy was a little disappointed because her date with Kai turned into a group hangout and again, thanks to Sehun and his antics. She felt alone a bit because Kai and Sehun kept talking with each other while Joohyun and Seulgi were in their own bubble too. This day was supposed to be hers and everyone was just going in their own way. 

While the siblings and Kai bought tickets, Seulgi went towards Wendy who looked bummed out. "Sorry about all of this, we'll go once we're done here. This wasn't the plan."

"No, no it's okay. The more the merrier, right?" She smiled.

"You and Joo are really close, huh? When she asked me to come with her, I thought she was kidding when she said she was going to tag along on your date."

Joo? "Yeah. We're really close...like sisters! Real sisters, yes. We grew up together and we practically know everything about each other. Nothing could come between us--that's how strong our friendship is."

"It's funny how both of you sound the same when you're talking about each other." Seulgi then averted her attention to her camera and opened the gallery, "As you know, Joo's a really great friend to have...she takes care of her friends really well. Sometimes she would even go the extra mile and she's a really sweet person although she prefers not to show her soft side. It's cute."

Wendy was quiet for a second while processing what Seulgi just said about her best friend. She felt jealous hearing those words come straight out of because she could never say such things even if she wanted to because Joohyun and her weren't used to saying cheesy stuff to each other. "Yeah...cute."

 

The trio went back to them and while waiting in line, they all felt the cold air coming from the inside of the booth. Joohyun took off her jacket for Wendy, who's wearing a short dress, but Kai offered her his jacket too. No one backed down from the mini competition and of course, when Wendy took hers, her ego was instantly boosted. It was just a bit annoying when she saw how her best friend blushed when he fixed the garment for her. 

"I feel cold too." Seulgi mumbled jokingly at Sehun who didn't show any interest taking off his clothes. 

" it up, bear. Go hibernate or something." 

The group's turn came and they all went inside huddled like penguins. It was dark and rowdy and it was a little too much for Wendy. She was in the middle so she could feel every bit of everyone's movements. Somebody clutched on her arm and it startled her so she frantically shook her arm, prying it away and when panic came over her because of the scary prop approaching her, she stupidly ran away from the group. 

"Holy , that last one looked so real!" Sehun said as he draped his arm over Jongin's shoulder, the thrill not leaving his body yet. 

"That scared the out of me." Kai laughed with him. Seulgi looked around and noticed there's one missing from the group.

"Where's Wendy?"

"Oh god don't tell me it was your hand I was holding all this time!" Joohyun dashed towards the entrance, not bothering to listen to the staff who's trying to stop her. 

The idiot who strayed away from the group was lost inside the pitch black room. She helplessly called for help, but the room's too loud for anyone to hear her. "Joohyun!" Nothing. 

She was about to give up and cry, but a hand suddenly tugged on her shoulder. "Found you."

 

Kai saved the day and Joohyun was the idiot who got lost in the maze. The guy went through the exit and found Wendy just a few feet away from the last door. Since then, Wendy was clinging onto him like a koala, completely forgetting her and her best friend's agreement. Because of her epic fail move, Joohyun was sulking at the back while watching Kai and Wendy get too close while walking towards the amusement park's exit. But it wasn't just her who's sulking, her brother's looking all glum and annoyed too. 

"I think we lost, sis." 

"Lost to what? I don't know what you're talking about." 

"God, why are you so in denial? Just accept that you're gay and you've been in love with your best friend since I don't know...second grade? It wouldn't hurt if you just become true to who you are. You know the worst part of it is yet to come, and that's seeing the love of your life fall for someone else."

Sehun then turned away from his sister and Seulgi. He didn't say goodbye to the others and jogged towards his motorcycle parked a few feet away from the gate, he escaped the scene like his life depended on it. While Joohyun was having an internal realization about what her brother just said, she felt her heart broke instantly when Kai suddenly leaned on Wendy. She didn't see them kiss because Seulgi was quick to cover her eyes and turn her body against them. It literally made her body jolt from shock so Seulgi, being the big comforting bear she was, enveloped her in a tight hug to calm her down. Joohyun was thankful that she was there to hold her because she couldn't feel anything, her knees felt weak and her system felt like it was shutting down on her. 

 

She's officially had her first kiss. Kim Jongin really kissed her on their first date, just outside the amusement park, like what protagonists do in chick flicks and it should be the best ing thing that's ever happened to her boring, ty teenager self but she doesn't know why she's feeling depressed over it. Maybe it's because of the fact that everything went too fast and she didn't have time to her chapped lips or it was different from what she expected or the fact that she saw her best friend being hugged warmly by someone she's always been insecure of. 

 

Wendy was in a daze while holding her saxophone and staring blankly at the sheet of music in front of her. She didn't know that having a first kiss means having it replaying over and over in her head. It's been a few days since and there's nothing she could think of besides that thing. While her lips was busy kissing Kai's, her eyes were darted on Joohyun who was looking so comfortable in Seulgi's embrace. It kind of hurt her.

"Hey, wanna go grab lunch?" Kai offered her his hand and she took it. Just as it's been a few days since the date, it's also been that long since Joohyun and her had last talked. She didn't know what to say and her best friend was m.i.a. 

"You should eat more vegetables." She pointed out while Kai was unwrapping his all meat burger. The boy nodded and stood up to grab a salad, "N-not now, silly. I was just saying in general...you know what I mean?"

"Oh, right." Kai chuckled and sat back down. "I'm not a healthy eater, I don't like the taste of vegetables."

"I used to be carnivorous too." She smiled.

"What happened?"

"Well...Joohyun mostly eats healthy stuff so I kind of followed her eating habits."

"Do you always do what she says?" He teased.

"No, I don't always do what she says." She sneered at him playfully and when she was about to open another topic, she noticed the familiar figure of Joohyun entering the cafeteria. And of course, Seulgi was with her. I see how it is.

"Would you like to go see a movie on Friday night?" Kai asked. Wendy's Friday nights were always spent with Joohyun, but now that she's replaced her as her best friend, she wanted to have her little revenge and break off their routine.

"Sure, I'm free on Friday night." She smiled and buried down the feeling of guilt building up on her chest.

 

 

Thanks for reading.

Wrote this as a oneshot but I had a last minute change of mind so you might feel like the pace of this story's quick. Won't drag this for long...