002

breathe in slowly and keep on going
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jacob had woken up from his restless sleep feeling the worst he'd felt yet and it was incredibly worrying. Jacob had grown conscious in the early hours, before the sun had the chance to rise over the mountain tops and before even the earliest of birds in the pack were awake for their pack responsibilities. Admittedly, it had been confusing at first. Jacob had been sleeping through the night despite napping most of his days, once even going a full fifteen hours of uninterrupted sleep, so to wake up so early and in the dark was bizarre, but turning onto his back it was very apparent why he had. What was supposed to be a simple movement left his legs feeling like they were on fire, pain starting from his toe tips all the way up to his hips. The discomfort was so intense Jacob couldn't stop the pained groan that escaped his cracked lips or stop him from curling back up into a ball on his side. He had definitely been caught off guard, there was no doubt, and he was going blind from the pain. 

Sadly for Kevin, he was a chronic insomniac and an incredibly light sleeper, and Jacob's initial turn onto his back was enough to stir him awake. It was the cry of pain and additional movement that prompted him to sit up at a record speed, hand placed so reverently on Jacob's waist out of habit. Through his palm, he could feel Jacob's muscles pulsating against his skin and it was causing the wolf inside him to go mad with bared teeth and snarls. Never had he fathomed this was going to be a way he was going to start a morning, adrenaline pumping through his veins and causing a rush. It was chilling and was most likely enough to leave a lasting impression on Kevin’s mind. 

The troubled and strained breaths of his omega sounding in his ears had him whimpering under us breath, finding himself at a loss not knowing what to do to help his mate. He was completely clueless and panicking, "Jacob, do I need to fetch a Healer?" Kevin asked for guidance even though he was ready to go now, ready to run barefoot in the heavy snow if he had to, and move mountains to get help. There was little regard for his own well-being when Jacob was struggling like this. 

In all of Jacob’s agonizing pain, it sounded very appealing to him for Kevin to go run and get help, but the idea of his alpha leaving him alone while feeling like this had his heart racing more than it already was. Another few seconds passed with Jacob remaining silent as he struggled to breathe, contemplating what to do while curled into a tight ball in their nest's furs, and to Kevin this was enough of an answer for him to go ahead and grab whatever Healer was available to help his mate. Jacob could see in his mate's eyes that he was in the process of bolting from the den but before he could move a muscle, Jacob reached out and harshly gripped onto the younger's hand, gluing him in place. Speaking seemed impossible with how much Jacob was heaving in pain, but he cleared his throat before speaking, "You’re not leaving me alone. I think I can make it there with you. Just give me a second," he sounded strained, but managed not to stumble or choke on his words. Being alone was not an option for him right now. 

The cramps in Jacob's sides were dreadful and testing the limits of his muscles in his back but he used all of his strength to pull himself up into a sitting position with Kevin's assistance. Kevin could now feel the pain in his core and his heart was aching terribly for his mate. Seeing him sick was distressing enough, seeing him in pain was unbearable, "Do you think you can stand on your own?" Kevin humored him with a nervous quiver of his voice, ready to just carry Jacob around to avoid further injury and pain. He was debating carrying him on his back or holding him in his arms, "Or do you need my help?"

"I think I need your help," Jacob nodded, not 100% confident he really could but was willing to try. His knees felt locked and his thighs were trembling, ankles feeling like they were rolled with the muscles sprained. It seemed impossible to move in any direction but with Kevin's gentle guidance he made it onto his feet with two thuds and was able to stand up. The pain in his lower back had him leaning forward against Kevin in the slightest to ease the discomfort, but he was doing much better than he thought he would, "I'm fine," he alerted Kevin, wanting to keep his mate as calm and level-headed as he could even when this was all so stressful, "I think I'm good to walk."

"Take a few steps with me and see if that's true," Kevin ushered, still holding Jacob's hand and waist securely. He didn't believe the omega's claim, but Jacob was strong-willed and could be very surprising when he set his mind to something. Kevin would have to see for himself before letting Jacob be totally independent, and if he couldn’t then he wouldn’t have to worry about moving so much. 

Jacob was up to the challenge and tentatively lifted a leg to take a step forward, letting his weight settle on his heel before trying to take another. The pain that shot up his bones was excruciating, but he was walking decently well and that was an accomplishment. Jacob could sense Kevin's relief and a manner of calm washed over them, helping Jacob's pain level lower. After another two steps, Kevin let go so Jacob could walk until he was heading into the open room outside their sleeping den and holding onto the dining table. Even though this was improved from his previous state, Jacob had still been in unexplainable pain and that was not something they could dismiss. They needed to make a visit to the Healing Lodge now, but he felt better knowing that he wasn't totally helpless and could walk on his own, even though the pain was still there, "Can you get me some water before we go? My throat is dry," so dry it was hard to swallow and was leaving a stale taste in his mouth. A headache was sure to arrive and he didn't want that kind of pain on top of what he was already feeling, and not when he would be walking a far distance soon. 

"Yes," Kevin quickly agreed, wanting to shorten their time at the den so they could venture to the other side of the camp to reach the Healing Lodge. While there was no fresh water in the den there was some left over from the day before that would work just fine, still chilled with the help from the winter draft naturally created in their den. River water always tasted best fresh from the stream but the current time was much earlier than Kevin would ever get up to fetch a new pail, so this was what they had to work with. He walked to the other side of their dining table and grabbed a wooden mug, filling it generously with water and making sure no dust had collected on the surface or settled at the bottom. Jacob only deserved the best and it looked like he needed the best with how he was presenting himself.

Finalizing and happy with the state of Jacob’s water, Kevin was about to turn and hand the mug to Jacob, but the rushing across the room and crashing of wobbly limbs on the floor had him turning and dropping the mug onto the floor, letting the water seep into the deerskin floor covering. Kevin was met with the sight of Jacob hunching over a wooden bowl that was typically used for prepping food they made themselves, expelling his stomach's contents into it. There was barely anything in his stomach and the only thing Jacob could spit up into the bowl was bile, sour taste burning his throat and tongue and making him gag more. Through their bond, Kevin could sense the growing headache his mate was starting to experience from the strain of vomiting so violently combined with the pain he felt in his legs. Headaches tasted like chalk in their mouths and Kevin grew parched, his throat dry and chest aching along with his mate's. It was truly unpleasant and he slightly mourned the mug he had dropped in his shock, wishing he had it at the ready for when Jacob would need it. 

Kevin shook his thoughts and dove forward, his now shaking hand found its way to Jacob's lower back, kneading and easing any ache and tension that his mate was enduring as his body heaved. He cooed as an attempt of sympathy rather than words, assuming Jacob wouldn't be able to process proper words anyway past the ringing of his ears and his hyper-focus on the toilet. He had other things to worry about other than Kevin speaking to him, and overwhelming the older was not his aim. He wanted Jacob to take his time and let his body calm on its own after the fit it was having. 

After a few painful minutes of violent but unfulfilled sick, Jacob started to slow down, gags ceasing and body starting to slacken against his mate with no strength left in him so hold himself up. The alpha stretched a hand up and carded his fingers through the omega’s hair, scratching his scalp as an affectionate gesture and to try and dull the headache he knew was pounding against his skull. Jacob adored physical contact, even when he was having a less than fortunate day. A hug could fix a lot in his books, "Are you feeling any better now?" he was careful in his inquiry, avoiding possible back lash from his mate since he was feeling and dealing with a lot right now. Against his palm, the alpha could detect how warm his mate was, a fever beginning its course through his body. His already high levels of concern steadily rose with the added fever, wondering what this could mean for his mate. He hadn’t run a fever since he was first ill, and to have one now was incredibly disconcerting.

Jacob groaned and gagged once more, spitting bile and that sour taste in his mouth into the carefully carved bowl weakly. His back straightened out as much as he could while feeling like his bones were made of water, sitting back on his pained knees and rolling his haunches as he tried to reclaim equilibrium enough to catch his breath. Kevin was ready to assist Jacob in cleaning up and dressing him properly to leave the den for the Healing Lodge, but he was stopped in his tracks as the sudden spike of panic within their bond clouded his vision. He froze in his movement, his fingers turning ice cold and skin lighting up as every hair stood on end. 

It was horribly overwhelming and Kevin didn't have to ask Jacob what the issue was because the omega's actions were speaking much louder than his words ever could. The omega turned from the bowl at a much faster speed than he was moving before and clutched at Kevin's sleep shirt. His nails dug into the material in fearful desperation, accidentally catching the alpha's chest underneath and irritating his skin. The new wound would have affected Kevin had he not been so concerned about Jacob's well-being and his sudden change in demeanor. His omega mate was in a crisis and distress was heavy in his scent, drowning his mind and body and ridding him of his vanilla aura. It didn't smell like there was much of Jacob left in the room. 

Jacob was gasping for air, hunched over with his forehead pressed to Kevin's chest, choking on nothing as he tried to inhale and exhale. He was grappling to do so and as a basic bodily function that was involuntary, he couldn't even perform it voluntarily. He could take in a small amount of air, but beyond that, there wasn't as much entering as there was exiting. The lack of oxygen was starting to hurt his head, pressure building behind his eyes in addition to the prior pain he felt in his legs. His gray eyes were wide in panic, blonde fringe unable to cover the frantic emotion in the way his eyes gave away his worst fears. Showing Kevin this kind of fear and weakness was not something he ever did but he couldn't help it now. 

Kevin was at a loss and didn't know what to do or how to fix the dire situation, especially since the issue was beyond his skill set. His best course of action was to take Jacob to Healer Jaehyun and ask for help. If this was anything physically involved, their pack healer would know what to do to heal the ill, "Can you walk to Healer Jaehyun's lodge? Do I have to carry you?" Kevin didn't want to portray his panic outright since Jacob was doing enough of that on his own. The bond was stretched thin as Kevin hid his inner turmoil, wanting to keep as much of a level head as he could and stay calm for his mate. Jacob needed a strong presence at the moment and Kevin was going to step up and do exactly that. 

Jacob inhaled in an attempt to regain some breath but the look of it appeared to hurt him, pained expression returning in full and hands gripping tighter onto Kevin. He gasped with heaving breaths, needing his whole body to squeeze out a sentence to communicate, "T-take... me... to the Lodge," each word echoed like a struggle, "Hurts... can't... breathe... m-my legs," it felt like he was breathing in pebbles, jumbling in his organs and causing him further discomfort and pain all while his legs were cramping and shooting pain up his spine. As a pup, Jacob had attempted to use hollowed-out horsetail reeds to breathe underwater at the territory's largest lake, curiosity getting the best of him as he wanted to see what laid at the bottom of the body of water. The reeds were effective, but very little air traveled through the thin pathway and into his body. It had been a struggle to do what he hoped to accomplish, and that memory was being recreated and Jacob was reliving that day now. He felt like he was breathing through a thin reed and his lungs were screaming for help and relief, but simply swimming to the top was not going to rectify the situation this time. 

Once granted the go-ahead, Kevin moved on autopilot and his mind barely registered himself leaving Jacob's side completely to retrieve his dark winter coat so he could wrap it around his small and shaking frame. Now covered in the thick bear fur, Kevin eagerly and carefully lifted Jacob from the ground and into his arms, holding him tight to his chest to keep him in place and safe. Even in his panic, Kevin made sure not to crush his lungs or chest as a way to give him a better chance at breathing, hoping he wasn't preventing any more lost breaths from his mate, "I'm taking you to the Healers," Kevin informed on the way out of the den, no shoes on his feet or a coat on his own back. The snow that clung to the ground was freezing and was shin deep, engulfing his body in cold the second he made contact and passed that threshold. The first step sent pins and needles through the pads of his feet, tossing pain at his nerves, and this wouldn't affect him as much if he were in wolf form, but that wasn't an option right now when he had to carry Jacob and get him to the Healer. With his priorities driving his actions, Kevin ran as fast as physically possible and rushed to get out of the frigid temperature; he was sure the cold wasn't helping Jacob's condition any. 

Kevin sprinted through the snow, ignoring the bitter chill's bite and instead focusing on getting his mate to the Healing Lodge as swiftly as possible. There weren't many pack members out since it was still so early, just the few who were on early border patrol to ensure the pack's safety. The mated pair happened to pass one hybrid heading back to his den for the night, an unmated and young alpha that went by the name of Junseok. Kevin chose not to address him but could hear the calls he made after him, asking what was wrong and why he was rushing by, but answers didn't register in Kevin's mind, his only concern being Jacob's well-being. 

This felt too familiar to Kevin. He had heard from Jacob the details about his mother's last moments before she succumbed to her illness and they had been gruesome, a terrible death to suffer through to the end. Kevin hadn't experienced that horror firsthand, but with how in-depth Jacob had gone with sharing his mother's last few days alive, he felt like he had been there. And in his eyes this was the same feeling of loss and fear Jacob had felt all those years ago. While it was unlikely Jacob would have the same diagnosis, the symptoms he was feeling now and the way his body was causing random break outs of pain was very similar to his mother's ending. Kevin was sure there was a different answer but for now he was clueless and his mind was filling in the blanks with worst case scenarios. The fear of Jacob suffering the same fate as his mother was driving the alpha mad and he was close to losing his mind. His brain could barely fathom the outcome and took faster steps, his feet barely registering that he was even touching the ground and that his toes were starting to freeze in the cold. There was no physical feeling there when he was feeling most of it in his throat, terrified for his mate. He was doing his best to hold an air of calm and was trying to keep neutral through the bond to not overstimulate Jacob. He projected his positive scent in hopes that it would calm Jacob, but he may have done more harm than good because Jacob's breathing grew heavier, more strained and his hand clutched tighter at Kevin's collar. If at all possible, he ran faster.  

"Healer!" Kevin yelled with his whole chest, as loud as he could once he was a few yards outside the heavy door of the Lodge. He was praying that the Healer on duty would hear him and open the door in time for Kevin to slink past with Jacob in his arms without having to stop, "Healer please!" his scent was distressed and permeating as he closed in on the entrance, finally letting that emotion communicate to the best of his ability without worrying Jacob further. He needed someone, anyone to know he was there and that Jacob needed help. 

Luckily, that was the call that caught the on-duty Healer's attention as he wrenched the door open, incredulous and wide eyes even wider as took in the sight of Kevin carrying Jacob towards the Lodge. Kevin barreled in with no hesitation in his feet as Healer Jaehyun stepped to the side, needing to quickly get the omega checked and healed, "Right here!" Healer Jaehyun pointed at the empty cot closest to them, bed ready for the next hybrid who needed it. He hadn't fathomed it would be Jacob needing it that early morning.

Steering a hard right, Kevin quickly, yet gently set Jacob on the bed the Healer pointed out, one of the many the Lodge had. Jacob groaned under his breath, still unable to take a full breath without feeling like his chest was on fire or move without feeling excruciating pain. No longer against his alpha, Jacob whined at the loss of contact and grabbed Kevin's wrist, anchoring him in his place. Kevin fixed the grasp and turned to Healer Jaehyun to explain the situation, "We were going to come in originally because he's been sick the past few weeks," Kevin started, watching as Healer Jaehyun sped to Jacob's side, resisting using his hands to examine Jacob's chest right away, "He threw up this morning but then he couldn't breathe and I brought him here as fast as I could," Kevin's anxiety was nearly palpable, nearly tangible and Jaehyun could feel how it was electrifying atop his skin. As a Healer, it was required that he stay calm and collected, but the intensity of the emotions in the Lodge were almost too intense to handle. Had he not been a beta, he would be raging mad in the close proximity, "And he's hurting really bad and we don't know why."

And hearing that Jacob couldn't breathe, Jaehyun stood over the omega and stuck his ear to his chest, one hand resting against his rib cage to feel the muscles working, listening to Jacob's strained attempts at breathing for a few seconds before he turned to a shelf positioned close by. He grabbed a small clay pot, removing the top before pouring its contents into a small pot of water that had been boiling on the nearby fire. The sickness that was spreading throughout the camp required a steeped tea, brewed with boiled water. The beta had, luckily, started boiling water minutes earlier in preparation for more teas that would be needed throughout the day. He hadn't expected to make tea so early but there was a reason he always stayed so prepared. It was his job to expect the unexpected. 

Healer Jaehyun served the boiling tea into a clay cup, stepping outside swiftly to grab a handful of snow to drop into the cup so it could cool faster and not burn Jacob's mouth and throat. Once finished, he returned to Jacob's side and gently lifted his head, placing the cup at the omega's lips to guide the liquid into his mouth. Jacob fought it, still unable to breathe normally and feeling unable to swallow without feeling like he was drowning. The longer he struggled to breathe, the more he felt like he was dying. 

"Calm your omega, Kevin," Jaehyun spoke in a calm tone, doing his best to keep the most leveled among the three of them. Jacob needed the tea if he was going to receive aid and he needed it fast. His breathing seemed to digress as more panic settled into his body, scent changing noticeably, indicative of whatever ailment was taking control of his body. Jaehyun in a quick breath through his mouth to test the scent, noting how his aura was drier and less sweet, the air tasting like bitter and dry chalk on his tongue. Jaehyun could smell the sour in his scent as well, indicating that he was ill and in poor condition and it made him frown with furrowed brows. Jacob needed this tea now or his condition would devolve into critical and he would pass out, which would probably be easier in this dire situation. 

Kevin nodded obediently and ducked his head, rubbing his nose along Jacob's scent gland with vigor to calm his mate. His strong and earthy scent covered the distress of his mate's still sour smell and the alpha felt the instant relief replace the horror that was controlling Jacob. The omega calmed and relaxed his body enough for Jaehyun to slip the tea past his lips while he swallowed on instinct, finally ingesting an effective and temporary solution to the issue. It took a few minutes before any visible changes were detected and once the tea was actively in his system, Jacob visibly calmed down, body going slack against the bed and stirring controlled. His breathing was still ragged, chest heaving, but it still sounded so much better now that his panic was calmed and his body felt more relaxed. Kevin could see the stiffness in his limbs had disappeared, able to relax and not tense up. 

Satisfied with the change, Jaehyun quickly eyed Kevin once Jacob's fit was rolled over. His dark orbs flitted to Kevin's lack of a coat and his bare feet on the Healing Lodge floor, surrounded by a puddle of melted snow while his toes were turning purple and blue from the cold. He sighed and shook his head, finding his job as a Healer was never done, "Sit and stick your feet by the fire. We don't need you contracting frostbite or hypothermia," Jaehyun directed as he cleaned up his work space, putting his clay pot back in place and rinsing the used cup in a pail of water.

Kevin didn't need to be told twice as he obeyed and sat in the chair closest to the fire but shifted it closer only slightly, still keeping a close proximity to his mate so he could feel that connection and let Jacob know he was there. He couldn't feel his feet, not a good sign, but he was more worried about Jacob rather than himself. He told himself he could probably survive without toes. Maybe.

Healer Jaehyun rolled his eyes at how little Kevin had moved and considered making him a drink with warming herbs to help with his body temperature if he wasn’t going to properly take care of himself. Instead, he grabbed a nearby, cured deer pelt and wrapped it around his feet to provide another sense of warmth in hopes that they would warm up faster, handing a larger one over so he could toss it over his shoulders and back. 'Stupid Alpha', Jaehyun thought to himself, not daring to say it out loud in such a time of distress. Kevin didn't need the scolding when he was already suffering mentally, "Take a second to put on your boots next time or you'll lose your toes. The pack needs you in your best condition so you can hunt and cure all these furs,” Kevin had an important job in the pack; they all needed his expertise in his trade.

Kevin ignored his words entirely, "What did you give him?" he finally inquired, running his hand through Jacob's blonde hair to brush it out of his face, fingernails scratching his scalp as an act of comfort. Kevin's own hair was hanging in his eyes, disheveled strands of black blurring his vision but the lack of it wasn't important. He could determine every part of Jacob from memory, every one of his weak spots and every detail. He didn't need to see Jacob to know it was him. 

"I gave him a valerian root tea. It's a natural sedative and it's completely safe. With all the obvious distress he was in, it will aid greatly with his anxiety as well as make it easier to relax his body," Healer Jaehyun informed as he settled on a stool placed next to Jacob so he could conduct a further examination to find the root of the problem. Why did he get like this? "I need your permission to touch Jacob so I can figure out what is going on with his chest. There's something wrong with his lungs, I need to listen and examine further.” 

Even though necessary, the thought didn't sit well with Kevin. The anxiety and fear of Jacob suffering the same fate as his mother was again at the forefront of his mind and the need to protect him was at an all time high. Kevin’s pure, animalistic instincts did not want anyone besides himself touching his mate in such a state of alarm, but this was required. No matter how much he wanted to be the one Jacob needed right now, his mate needed Jaehyun more. Kevin tried to remind himself that Jaehyun was a trusted friend. They had grown up together and were always in the same year of schooling, and had grown up good friends since they were small pups in Nursery. There was no competition nor covetousness among them, and Jaehyun was only there to help Jacob, "Of course. Do what you need to," he acquiesced, relinquishing his alpha status within the confines of the Healing Lodge. This was Jaehyun's territory, he had no right or place to object to any of his requests anyway. 

"I'll be careful," Jaehyun assured with a curt nod of his head before turning to Jacob, using Kevin's help to remove his coat the rest of the way and then lifting his thin tunic up to reveal the pale skin of his torso. Kevin noted how much thinner Jacob was than the last time he had really paid attention to his body, which was most likely before he was sick. Lack of proper nutrition and replenishing his body had taken its toll and it made Kevin's stomach turn in sorrow and fear for his mate. He just wanted Jacob healthy again. 

The beta Healer lowered his hands and finally made contact so he could slide his deft fingers across Jacob's ribs, gliding along the expanse expertly and reverently. His trained hands could pick up on energies within a body, sensing the changes and out of the ordinary states of health, a skill only natural born Healers could acquire. Healer Juyeon's specialty lied heavily in his ability to sense those energies and the size of his palms helped immensely. When learning the ways of Healers, this specific skill had been easy for him to expand upon, almost knowing instinctually how to search for what he needed when examining a hybrid. If he were present now, he would be able identify the issue sooner than Jaehyun with pure confidence, but Jaehyun was more meticulous. He wanted to be careful and exactly correct about what he did, so he took his time and always considered all options at once. 

Jacob was ticklish along his ribs and while he was still groggy from the valerian root, he let out a very loud cough that wracked his entire being, startling Jaehyun out of his focus. What followed the bone rattling cough was a very powerful and sour overtone that reached Kevin through their shared bond. Jacob grimaced, breathing still erratic but at a much calmer pace all thanks to the valerian root in his system. Kevin reached out and grabbed Jacob's hand, squeezing to let him know he was there and was there to support him fully. 

Healer Jaehyun hummed at Jacob's reaction to his own body's protests and pressed his ear to Jacob's rib cage, using his index finger to firmly tap against his ribs, moving along the intercostal space between each bone as he listened to the noise the organ and its cage made. The action didn't seem to affect Jacob at all and Kevin was grateful for that, hoping that the beta was discovering the reason for his mate's illness with each tap and decibel he heard. 

Needing a moment of reprieve from focusing on his distressed mate, heart in pain seeing him in such a state, Kevin instead focused on the pack Healer as he navigated his craft. Jaehyun was a few months older than him and he recalled memories of playing with the beta in Nursery along with Younghoon, Juyeon, Chanhee, and Changmin (despite being in the class after them due to his birthday being later in the year). Kevin recalled all the fights he had with Jaehyun over toys he wanted that the older had, early signs of his alpha status peeking through. He also remembered playing nice, sharing portions of his meals, sharing beds, and making sure to include him when they played with the other pups. They were very close, and Kevin was proud of who Jaehyun had grown to be. 

He was the perfect Healer. His beta status put everyone who came to see him in the Lodge at ease, but despite that, Jaehyun was skilled, kind, and loving, ready to comfort those who needed to be comforted and aid those who needs his help. Being a beta helped with neutrality, and the lack of scent that usually accompanied both alphas and omegas left no room for any feelings of unease for anyone. Kevin remembered how he had smelled like cherry while he was a pup, but it had muted and dulled once he presented at the age of sixteen. There was barely anything to detect now but Kevin was accustomed to it, knowing ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter