001

breathe in slowly and keep on going
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jacob was stirred from his slumber as the scent of his alpha flooded his senses, unconsciously readying himself to welcome the younger home. He felt a smile curl his lips as he lifted himself from his soft nest made of the finest furs he and his alpha had caught and cured together, huffing at the loss of warmth on his skin. He adjusted his askew tunic so he didn't have to feel as cold, “Alpha?” Jacob called out with a scratchy voice. His sandalwood scent only grew stronger the more Kevin closed the distance between them. 

“Omega,” Kevin teased with a smile as the two met in the middle of the sleeping den and the entrance to their den. He was still dressed in his fur-lined boots and heavy, full-length fur coat made from a bear he had taken down with Jacob last winter (an impressive feat that had been praised by several to this day). Jacob had an identical coat, hung up by the entrance and laying untouched for a week, "I'm home with dinner," he indicated by shrugging the shoulder that had a deer leg slung over it, already cooked by the pack and served to the hybrids equally. This looked a little more than what they would usually get, but prey had been abundant and more was being distributed. They could always save what they didn't eat. 

Jacob smiled, "Looks good. Thank you for getting it.”

"You don't have to thank me," Kevin shook his head and he toed off his boots by the door, lined neatly with Jacob's pair, "You have to eat, I'm just the one feeding you. It's not a favor," he set their dinner on their oak dining table before sauntering over to Jacob who was still standing in the threshold of their sleeping den. The smiles they both wore were filled with nothing but love for each other and Jacob stretched out his arms, Kevin mirroring the older's actions as he pulled him into a hug, Jacob entering Kevin's undone coat so he could share his warmth. Jacob sighed contentedly as he buried his face into Kevin's soft coat, senses filling with the enticing scent of his alpha. His scent in the nest had started to wane in strength but now that Kevin was here Jacob didn't have to cling to his alpha's belongings when he could cling to him. It was even better when Kevin started scenting him and his mating mark, lips pressed to his neck so gently as he flooded Jacob with sandalwood and earth, drowning out his own scent of vanilla bean. 

“How are you feeling?” Kevin asked after some time and thorough scenting, his deft fingers brushing through Jacob’s mess of blonde hair. It was soft but was telling of his day of only lying in the nest, "Still sick?”

Jacob hadn’t been feeling well as of late. There was a bug sorting through their pack that started with the pups before branching out and inflicting the older pack members. Jacob's role of the pack was caring for the pups in the Nursery, teaching them what they needed and watching over them when their parents were off on hunts or doing their duties for the betterment of the pack. He had been very careful, taking protective measures to keep himself healthy but he had slipped up somewhere and was now dealing with the symptoms of this ailing virus. Jacob was having difficulties breathing and he was often nauseous, feeling very ill and wanting nothing more than to stay home and in his nest. Staying around the pups in his condition was a bad idea when their little bodies were fighting so hard to protect themselves. He had been home for a week with Eric temporarily taking his position in the Nursery. Jacob had enjoyed the first few days of doing nothing, but now the boredom was killing him. Kevin had already been sick and was now immune to the effects of the bug, as the Healers had found after careful studying. You could not get it twice. 

“Feeling the same,” Jacob answered as he shifted so his right arm was now outside the coat and grabbing at the collar, fingers playing with the thick fur there, “I threw up twice and I haven’t been able to eat much of anything. I ate some bread and brewed the tea Healer Juyeon made.”

Kevin hummed, a disappointed frown on his face. He'd been hoping Jacob would feel better by now seeing as those who were healed, including himself, hadn't reached a week of being ill, “Could you eat now?” he asked, hoping the answer was yes. Jacob hadn’t eaten dinner yesterday and resorted to dandelion tea as a replacement. That’s all he could stomach and bread and tea today was not enough to keep him on his feet, “I think a bit will do you some good. You seem more spritely than you've been the past week. You might be getting better,” Kevin's own loss of appetite had been frightening but by the end of his illness, he had more energy and was feeling hunger again. It was a now known sign of recovery. 

Jacob sighed and snuggled deeper into Kevin, not wanting to leave his embrace, “I can try,” Jacob wasn't feeling hungry, but he could eat, and in his mind that was a huge improvement. There was no nausea itching at his nerves and the thought of dinner wasn't repulsing his every ounce of will. It was worth a shot and if he so tried and could keep it down then that would be amazing. 

The scent that filled the den was evident of Kevin's joy as he leaned down and pressed a kiss on Jacob’s cheek, noting how his cheeks were a bit warm, but that could have easily been from the heat of the den. In Kevin's bliss of being with his mate, he also noted the tinge and sour smell of sickness still clinging to Jacob's scent. Typical scent of ailment, but it was duller than before. He was on the road to recovery and it made Kevin happy, "Let's get you something to eat," another kiss was placed on Jacob's forehead and oh how he wished he could kiss him on the lips. But Jacob had forbidden it just in case Kevin were to get sick again, even if it had been proven unlikely but the pack Healers. Jacob could never be too careful. 

Kevin led his omega to the oak dining table and sat him down in front of their dinner, making sure he was still feeling well enough to eat still. Kevin could never be too careful either, “I really think I can this time,” Jacob assured with a nod, reaching foreword to rip a chunk of meat off of the bone of the cooked deer leg. He sniffed, testing the waters on his senses and relaxed when his stomach did not lurch with the proximity. It had been the first time in a long time it hadn't done so and excitement filled his belly, finally starting to believe he was back to normal. 

Kevin watched closely as he grabbed his own handful of the leg, taking a bite immediately as opposed to Jacob who took his time. Kevin sighed in relief when Jacob managed to take a bit without grimacing and smiled when Jacob hummed in delight, mulling over the savory taste of cooked venison on his tongue. Kevin felt his mate was doing such amazing progress and felt no more reason to worry so much about him. He would have to tell the Healers his mate had made a full recovery after all their efforts with their healing tea. Now less anxious, Kevin removed his coat to reveal the tunic he wore underneath, hanging the heavy garment up next to Jacob's by the entrance. The warmth of the den was enough to keep him content. 

“How is Eric doing with the pups?” Jacob asked after swallowing his first mouthful, taking a break before trying to fit any more into his ill-fated stomach. He was doing well so far, but he didn't want to sabotage that, "Surviving I hope." 

Kevin smiled thinking of the younger omega. Eric had been given the task of taking Jacob’s position in the Nursery as Head Nurse until he felt better. It was a step up from his position as Nurse’s Aid, “He’s doing very well. I think he’s a little overwhelmed with how many pups there are at once," this was the biggest brood they had seen in years with fourteen pups at once. There were always three omegas in the Nursery on hand so Eric wasn't alone, but one less hand, the Head Nurse at that, was still a significant loss in handling the number of pups, "But I know he loves it. He does so well with them all, and it just proves he's going to be a great mother,” Kevin giggled at the thought. Eric was expecting a litter in the spring and due to how large he was already, their pack's Head Healer Jaehyun predicted at least two pups, possibly three. More than one pup was classified as a litter and Eric seemed to be one of the 'lucky ones' who would have a 'large' litter with his first pregnancy. That wasn't a common occurrence, but he wouldn't be the first in their pack to do it. 

“He will be. He’s also very lucky he has such an attentive alpha as Sunwoo. He's the biggest help and he's doing everything he can in preparation for their litter,” Jacob commented, thinking about the pair with a large and sweet smile. When Eric was showing the first signs of gestation, Sunwoo had run around the entire pack camp after confirming it with the Healers and announced how he was going to be a father, which was embarrassing to Eric. He had done his best to trail after him in an attempt to keep his alpha at bay but it had been no use. Sunwoo was father material, nothing less, and he definitely had the endless energy for it, “They won’t have trouble keeping their pups in line either. With their energy combined, their pups will be loved and well taken care of.”

"Let's see if they can keep all that energy once the pups arrive. We might be seeing a whole new Eric in a few moons," Kevin laughed, picturing it already. Eric will have his hands full with pups that won't sleep at night and days full of caring for and cuddling newborns. Eric was going to lose the energetic portion of his personality, but he was going to love being a mother, "Bless his heart." 

Jacob tentatively reached forward to grab another small portion of the deer leg to eat. His stomach growled once in his hand and that was a good sign that his stomach was needing to be filled further. He sighed in relief, "Younghoon told me he and Sangyeon hyung wanted to start trying for pups again,” Jacob revealed nonchalantly before he ate the venison in his hand, still happy with the taste and not wanting to rush to expel it from his body. 

Kevin’s eyes widened. Younghoon was their Head Omega and respectively, Sangyeon was their Head Alpha. The pair already had a litter of two born in the summer and it seemed far too soon to try having more pups, “Is that well-advised?” 

Jacob shrugged, clearing his throat with a smile, “When he stopped by yesterday he had just spoken to Healer Jaehyun and after a short examination he had no qualms about it. Younghoon's body has healed very nicely and he's looking very healthy, and he seems able to carry more pups if he so wishes. They'll have to wait until his next heat, of course. It hasn’t happened yet since the pups are six moons old so he might have to wait a little longer, but I have no doubt that they’ll have another litter as soon as his body is ready,” Younghoon had looked so happy telling Jacob the news, sharing every detail with him until the end of his visit. It made Jacob reminisce the old days when they were young pups and hadn't presented yet. Younghoon had always known he was going to be an omega and had always talked about the future family he dreamed he would have. So the day he presented, a few moons after Jacob had presented as an omega, his dreams were that much closer to becoming a reality. Here he was now: mated to the Head Alpha with two beautiful daughters. Jacob was endlessly happy watching his childhood friend get what he always wanted. 

"He'll have as many pups as Chanhee one day, if he ever stops having pups," Kevin smiled fondly, thinking of his childhood friend and his large brood of pups he shared with his mate, Changmin. They were at six pups currently and there were no signs of stopping. Younghoon and Chanhee had both been pregnant at the same time, Chanhee's pup arriving almost two moon cycles after Younghoon's first pups.

"He won't. He wants as many as possible," Jacob smiled, mood lifting as his body grabbed for more food, taking a bigger portion than he had the previous two times, "I'm sure I overheard Changmin speaking to Sunwoo about expanding his den to make room for their next possible litter," their den was the largest in the pack camp, and the thought of making it even bigger to make room for more pups was hilarious to Jacob. Sunwoo was the pack architect and he had made a collection of adjustments and expansions on Changmin's and Chanhee's den already. Being commissioned for more was not a new inquiry to him, "They're already planning for more.”

Kevin rolled his eyes light-heartedly, a smile and a snicker following, "It'll be Chanhee's next heat. He always has them so soon after having his pups. Remember his first litter after having Minsoo?" Jacob nodded, food in his mouth preventing him from responding verbally. Minsoo was their firstborn; a spunky little boy with the biggest heart and cutest smile. He had only been three moons old before Chanhee went into heat, resulting in a litter of two female pups. Jacob couldn't keep count of the timeline of Chanhee's pregnancies, but they were all within moons of each other, the longest period of rest being six moons since his last welping. Chanhee was soon due for another pup, "They were so stressed at the time, but now it doesn't even phase them. I'm sure they'll be announcing their next pregnancy soon," Kevin smiled happily, always looking forward to their friends' now annual announcement. 

Speaking of heats, Jacob’s semiannual estrous cycle was due soon, in about a week or so, and it had him thinking deeply. Sitting there at their dining table, a discussion was brewing in Jacob's mind that he needed to emphasize with his mate before they missed their chance. With all of their friends having their own pups and litters in such close proximity, the desire to have his own was growing in strength with each pup born. Jacob and Kevin had purposely chosen not to try for pups yet due to their longing to spend a few years by themselves before thinking about adding another member to their family. There had been four spring seasons since their mating ceremony and Jacob was ready for pups of his own, and there was never a better time than to try now. Jacob wanted so badly to be a mother and have his own brood of pups, and he was so ready for that challenge. 

Unbeknownst to him, Kevin was ready to have his own pups any time and had been ready for some time. Jacob’s tendency to flutter towards pups and his natural talent with the youngest pack members was endearing and through this image in his head, Kevin wanted to see Jacob as a mother, and he wanted to see himself as a father. However lovely the idea was, it wasn't always the easiest conversation for fear that Kevin would upset his omega with him suggesting it first. This was Jacob's decision after all, Jacob's body, and Kevin did not want to guilt his omega into anything if he wasn't ready. He would wait until Jacob was the ready one so there would be no resentment. 

Feeling well enough to move, and gaining energy from his beating heart, Jacob removed himself from his wooden stool and rounded the table to where their wooden and hand-carved mugs sat. Kevin tried to intervene and complete the task instead so his mate could sit but Jacob had beat him to it and waved him off, "Chanhee has been acting clingier lately so I don't think we'll be waiting much longer for that announcement," Jacob mentioned off-handedly as he filled the mugs with fresh water from the bucket used to pull it from the river that morning. Kevin had woken up early to get it so Jacob wasn't home without fresh water to drink. The omega turned over his shoulder so he could set Kevin's mug next to him, "He's always clingy before his heats," which was the truth. Chanhee always had to be touching someone and was quite cuddly before his heats; it was a good thing he had so many pups at home to fulfill that task. All of his children were very tactile and that was never a problem, all thanks to their mother. 

"There you go. We'll soon be having another pup in the bunch," Kevin nodded with a pouty lip, leaning down to take a drink from his mug as Jacob did that same. 

Once he finished his sip, not wanting to drink too much water lest it upset his stomach, Jacob cleared his throat again, finding some courage to speak up with bold words and a confident voice, "I'm thinking we should probably consider expanding our den space soon. Maybe add a few feet so more of us can sleep in here," Jacob smiled knowingly, holding his mug with both hands to feel how the water was making the surface feel cool to the touch.

Kevin paused in his actions and glanced up at Jacob, noticing how his omega was focused elsewhere as he stifled a smile by biting his lip. He was playing coy with the alpha and Kevin didn't want to assume anything. He had a good idea of what he meant though, "What would we use all that extra space for?" he asked, setting his mug down so he could use his nail and fiddle with the deep scratch on the table. It had come from their first night in their den together before mating and Jacob had stabbed their dinner with the intent to cut it up only for the knife to go into the wood. Kevin had been upset then but now it was a funny and dear memory. 

"So we can make room for pups," Jacob deadpanned confidently, and even though Kevin had an inkling of what Jacob had been referring to, it still caught him off guard and had his eyes set wide, lips parting in surprise. They looked so kissable in the moment and Jacob was heavily tempted to jump over the table, over their dinner, and wrap himself up in Kevin's chest, "It’s something I’ve been thinking about since my last heat," Jacob admitted, falling a little self-conscious, scent fluttering and intensifying as his excitement grew with each spoken word, "All of our friends have pups now and I think I want one too. Or rather... I know I want one," Jacob's eyes sparkled enough to nearly blind Kevin. This felt so surreal to hear, "I want to have pups with you." 

Kevin's heart was beating so fast to a rhythm that was reserved specifically for Jacob. He had been waiting to hear those words for what felt like forever, "Are you sure?" he asked as he reached forward and encased his omega's hands in his, emotions bubbling erratically in his gut. Kevin was keeping his pure excitement at bay in case Jacob wanted to retract his statement as a second thought. If he was true to his word, this was a big step they were taking and he wanted to make sure Jacob was absolutely certain about his decision, "You really want to have pups?" Kevin couldn't help the smile that crossed his facade, softening every edge and showcasing his true emotions. He was wearing his heart on his sleeve and it was plainly obvious. 

Jacob studied Kevin's smile and his excitement was painfully evident and he was sure he didn't look dissimilar. His heart sang for his alpha, "As sure as the day is long. We should try when I’m feeling better and during my next heat, but yes. I want some pups in this den. It’s getting kind of lonely in here when you're not around," Jacob noted with a light-hearted giggle but Kevin felt a tight pang in his heart. With Jacob's ailment, he had been spending many days alone in the den since Kevin had his own pack assignments to attend to. Had Kevin had his way he would be staying home with his mate but he had an important role in the pack, as did everyone. He couldn't control the outcome or when he was needed, “Would you like to try for a litter?” Jacob asked with a careful voice and glittering eyes, so full of hope and adoration for his alpha. His heart was preening and so elated. 

Kevin smiled, upper lip disappearing completely and pearly white teeth fully on display. His wolf smiled the same way, “During your next heat? We can ditch the hormonal suppressants and really go for it. But only if you really are sure you want to," Kevin backtracked but with the same, joyous smile. He wanted Jacob completely certain this was what he wanted to do. He would possibly ask every moment he could until Jacob was in heat. 

Even though Jacob had suggested it, the omega appreciated how concerned his alpha was with his opinion. Jacob's wide and toothy grin peeked past his lips as the excitement grew in his lower belly at how sure he was. His smile was so expressive, had his eyes squinting cutely and teeth taking up most of his face. Kevin adored that smile; he adored Jacob, “I would love that. I'll have to tell the Healers and stop drinking that tea so I can actually get pregnant,” the pack Healers regularly distributed a mixed tea that strictly prevented pregnancy and reproductive instincts amongst the wolves. It was bitter and was taken every day for a week before the omega's heat started and then every day, several times a day during the heat in order to intercept possible fertilization, and only a few days after the heat just to be safe. Jacob would need to visit the Healers and start drinking the tea tomorrow if he wasn't planning on getting pregnant, but now he didn’t have to worry about it.

Kevin’s heart swelled at the change and his toothy grin bore the brunt of his emotions, making it undeniable how he felt. His hold on Jacob’s hand grew stronger, excitement too great to control his strength, “Of course. We'll also have to tell them to keep it a secret because you know Healer Jaehyun will blab to Haknyeonie and then he'll tell the whole pack within minutes," Jaehyun had a habit of gossiping to Haknyeon, and Haknyeon was not skilled at keeping secrets. If there was big news that didn't involve visiting the Healing Hut, Jaehyun and Haknyeon were the last to know, "When you're pregnant we should tell everyone at once.”

Jacob smiled so wide because he loved the idea and that's how Chanhee and Changmin did it every time they were expecting another pup. All of their friends coming together and finding out the best news together was how Jacob always imagined him and Kevin telling them he was pregnant. It would hopefully happen soon, but almost as soon as his mood rose with the smell of vanilla bean filling the den with joy, it dropped again when the sudden onset of nausea came back and his stomach churched and swirled uncomfortably as it tossed his meal back and forth between its walls. The shake that was now tugging at his muscles' nerves had him cowering in on himself and the sour smell to his sweet vanilla was back in full. Jacob was back to feeling just as terrible as he had felt the past week and Kevin could sense it in their shared bond. The joy was stolen from the moment and it was a harsh slap of reality and a reminder of their current situation, "Wow. I don't feel good," Jacob whined, his free hand going to rub at his stomach in hopes that he could calm his body. It wasn't helping. 

Kevin's joy dissipated as he absorbed how Jacob started to look pale and his eyes turned glassy, smile falling as he focused on his mate. He looked ready to vomit right then and there, something that had sadly become routine. He had looked so healthy and happy before, now he looked miserable and devastated. Pups were pushed to the back of his mind now with his mate's well-being taking its place. 

If Jacob continued to be this sick within the next week, his heat would either delay or not come at all and they would have to wait another six moons for his next one. It was obviously a mutual consensus that they weren't as eager to get pregnant right away if Jacob was going to be so sick, but him being ill would certainly prolong the distance between his next heats. His body was very vulnerable to illness right now and there had been cases of this bug lasting from a few days to three weeks. Jacob had already been sick for a week so they would have to wait it out and see how he heals. They were both so hopeful that today had been the last day of Jacob's sickness, but he was back at square one and feeling ill. It was deeply worrying and deeply disappointing. 

“Shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter