INSANITY - The Sunshine

INSANITY

Nobody cares, but the sunshine keeps the roses alive.

 

 

Author’s POV

 

It was only a couple of hours away until the sun rises when everyone finally came out from the television station building’s exit door. Without any make up and studio light, those bare faces were no longer able to hide the exhaustion piled up from the whole day’s schedule. Droopy eyes were hidden under the oversized hoodies and pairs of earphones stuffed their ears.  They were unable to have a proper meal for dinner due to an interview and two live performance stages in a row, but as an idol, it was not even a surprising life cycle anymore.

Choi Soobin as the leader was seen nodding his head beside the van, giving a short response towards their manager who informed him about the timetable for the next day. But nobody realized how the tails of his eyes were taking a glance towards someone who just got into the van time to time, almost as if he was checking on the other young man after noticing how he had been walking limply after the performance ended.

 

 

Choi Soobin’s POV

 

I shut my eyes almost as soon as my back touched the backrest of the middle row seat. Obviously after turning my head around to give a quick check of everyone inside the van, a habit I developed since I was chosen to be the leader of this group; our manager in the front row on the driver seat, Kai and Yeonjun beside me, meanwhile Beomgyu and Taehyun behind the three of us.

The thought of going back to the dormitory could not make me feel more relief. Even though I was quite light-headed as a slice of vegetables sandwich and a cup of hot lemon water were all I had for dinner, but nothing tempted me more than the pillow and blanket in our dorm right now.

And it was only a matter of time before I fell asleep when I suddenly heard a tiny screech. I did not even need to open my eyes to know that it was Yeonjun’s and it immediately reminded me about how he almost stumbled on the stage during our last performance.

“Hyung, are you okay?”

With a hand on Yeonjun’s shoulder, that was the first thing I asked him when the studio lights were turned off. I was indeed concerned about his condition because he walked out of the studio limply, but my voice was all calm.

Yet Yeonjun gasped and gave me a quick stereotypical answer as if he felt uncomfortable with me.

“Ye-yeah. I’m okay.”

 

If everything was fine in the first place between us, I could have just simply thought that Yeonjun did not want to make me worry. But considering how he had been sort of avoiding me for the past few weeks without any prior fight or whatsoever could not help but made my heart sink.

“Alright. Just tell me if it gets worse.”

-

-

-

-

-

I could feel a slight movement of his body on the seat which I supposed as a reflex response after making such sudden noise. It would be a huge lie if I said that I was not worried, but I fought back the urge to approach him and make sure that everything was fine as his prior indirect rejection was still lingering my mind.

“Huk! Hukh!”

Could not be prevented, some soft coughs slipped out of my mouth afterwards due to the cold temperature inside the van and the condition of my own body that was quite unwell. I tried to fall asleep by fixing my sitting position a bit, but the sound of a pulled zipper followed by something soft landed on my temple got me stunned on my seat.

 

 

Choi Yeonjun…?

 

 

My eyes were still closed but I could sense the intense stare of the elder all over my face. Taking no time to open my eyes, the first thing I caught in between the van’s dim light was Yeonjun’s gentle gaze.

 

 

Author’s POV

 

Yeonjun gasped quite loudly this time that their manager had to turn his head only to find them two staring at each other. It was both amusing and comical how the elder’s ears began to redden and the next words spitted out from Soobin’s mouth made Yeonjun feel like nothing but a thief who was just being caught red handed stealing someone’s stuff.

 

“Enjoy the view my .” He hissed.

A soft chuckle that surprisingly followed that response sort of broke the prior heavy atmosphere between them. Soobin who immediately felt less hesitant ended up wrapping his left arm around Yeonjun’s shoulder and pulled the elder closer.

“Did you just be nice to me? Thought you began to hate me though.”

Yeonjun bumped his back lightly against the upper side of Soobin’s broad chest after throwing the tissue into the rubbish bag with a frown between his eyebrows.

 

“Huh? What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t know.” Soobin shrugged. “Ask yourself who have been avoiding me these days.”

 

It was a straightforward statement and Soobin was unconsciously observing Yeonjun’s facial expression when a moment of silence interrupted in. But fortunately, the elder did not seem to be bothered and gave him a debatable but relieving response instead.

“That’s just because I feel tired.”

 

“Tired?” Repeating the elder’s answer in a questioning tone, Soobin raised one of his eyebrows. “Is that why you failed to concentrate during our last performance?”

Again and again, the young man struck Yeonjun with the fact he spat.  By looking at their years of friendship, it’s not even surprising anymore that Soobin would notice things, it’s just Yeonjun who did not expect that Choi Soobin would have the audacity to rub it on his face that way. On the other hand, Soobin did not even wait for Yeonjun’s response to pull his arm away and bend his own body. Fingers wrapping around Yeonjun’s left ankle, the younger then lightly pressed some spots by turns using his thumb.

 

 

“Akh!”

 

 

Soobin tilted his head upward, taking a glance towards the elder who almost jumped on his seat. He could not see any bruise there which might be caused by the lack of lightings, but he could feel some sort of swelling against his fingertip.

“It’s swollen.”

Turning his back around, Soobin carefully opened the first aid kit that was placed between him and Beomgyu, making sure that his movement did not wake the other boy up. After taking out a package of instant hot pack from the inside of the pouch and unwrapping it, Soobin helped Yeonjun to take his shoe off and stuck the instant hot pack right on the puffy area.

A soft grin formed naturally when the young man found Yeonjun’s dumbstruck expression as he sat back to his prior position.

“We gotta check how it’s going tomorrow morning. But the heat, at least, can reduce the pain for now.”

There was a five to six seconds moment of silence before Yeonjun nodded his head and mumbled a quiet thank you. He had no idea how someone could still be alive after having their heart fell from its place because that was exactly what happened to him right now. As the comforting heat surrounded his ankle, Yeonjun threw a glance towards Choi Soobin who already shut his eyes with arms crossed in front of his upper stomach.

“Sleep. We’re still quite far.”

 

His voice was soothing but demanding, and there was no reason for Yeonjun to refuse it. So with a hum, the elder comfortably rest his back and leaned his head against Soobin’s shoulder.

 

"Good night, Soobin-ah."

 

"Good night, Hyung."

 

 

 

 

ㅡ To Be Continued ㅡ

 

Another chapter is up!

I thought remaking thing based on my own old fic would be easy,

but apparently there is lot of changes needed to make here and there.

It's because I have to match the dialogues and gestures of the characters with their personalities.

Additional effort, but I am satisfied with the result!

I hope you guys also enjoy reading it and please don't be a silent reader.

Because you don't know how precious your support to me through every single like, subscribe and comment.

 

With love,

Elle