premature death

moonlight

based on satosugu, a jujtusu kaisen au.

gojo!seungwan and geto!joohyun =)


 

a gentle wind sweeps over a deserted road; two students find themselves in the middle of it crouched over a torn talisman.

 

before either of them can speak, an unseen curse springs forth from the cursed talisman. moving aside instantly, joohyun tosses a glance at her partner who gives her a thumbs up as she takes a backseat in this fight.

 

a cursed spirit of the first grade tries and struggles to even land a hit before joohyun exorcises it with ease. irritation prickles at her skin, the summer heat coupled with the incessant pests that are cursed spirits forces a slow exhale from the sorcerer. 

 

“another one to the collection? how many does this make?” seungwan grins, her distinctive blue eyes light up with an enthusiasm as she bounces over to joohyun.

 

a vile spirit sits in the palm of her hand, crushed into a small black orb, ready to be ingested.

 

“eighty three,” joohyun responds before swallowing the orb whole, it leaves an acrid aftertaste though it’s hardly the worst she’s had, “three from today.”

 

for first-year students at jujutsu high, taking out three first grade cursed spirits on their own would normally be a difficult task but not for bae joohyun, a cursed spirit manipulator who’s quietly ascended in the world of jujutsu.

 

seungwan whistles, “soon you’ll be going off on missions on your own.”

 

rolling her eyes, joohyun retorts, “and you can go off on your own and wreak havoc? not a chance.”

 

the blonde sorcerer puckers her lips at the somewhat truthful accusation, though she wouldn’t verbally acknowledge it. a smile tints joohyun’s lips and she nudges her along; they’ve still got a mission.

 

to hear seungwan gripe and moan about how boring the countryside is something joohyun adjusted to — not that she has much of a choice in the first place. with how small each intake is, they’re the only two students in the first year and they’re often sent on missions together. this time, they’re in the countryside investigating a bout of missing civilians.

 

“yah, are you listening to me?”

 

“hmm?”

 

“i said, isn't it odd we’ve encountered so many first grades?” seungwan sighs, “one or two a month is rare but we’ve ran into three today.”

 

joohyun nods slowly, she’s aware of the oddities regarding this mission they’ve been sent on, there’s something sinister at play here though they’ve yet to figure out what it is exactly.

 

“keep your guard up.” joohyun mumbles.

 

seungwan chuckles as she slips her hands into her pockets, “it’s always up, automatically now, remember?”

 

joohyun scoffs at her cockiness, “you’ll fry your brain one day.”

 

the blonde shakes her head as she walks ahead, “that would mean we both lost and there’s no way you’d lose.” 

 


 

in the world of jujutsu, to lose is to die.

 

one slip up, one momentary second where her fatigue has finally caught up to her and joohyun sees death standing before her in the form of a special grade curse. in that moment, it didn’t matter if she held promise or how unique her cursed technique is, this is a world where only the strongest matters.

 

fast as it may be, joohyun sees the attack of the curse but she’s powerless against dodging it. in a last ditch attempt, she gathers her cursed energy to the very spot the attack is aimed at. a strong burst of cursed energy hits her in the chest and she’s sent sprawling to the ground. 

 

joohyun blinks, all the breath is forced out of her lungs and pain runs through her very bones. she groans and tries to push herself off the floor but something, perhaps her rib, is broken. she falls flat on her face and winces.

 

out of curses and out of cursed energy, any sorcerer would know what comes after.

 

footsteps approach and unfortunately joohyun doesn’t recognize them. she lifts her gaze only to meet eyes with the grotesque sight of a special grade. though without expression, joohyun senses it holds some level of sentience with the way that it hasn’t finished her off.

 

the curse grins, smug and dripping with evil, it wants to toy with her. it gathers up its cursed energy, though unseen, the sheer amount of it prickles at joohyun’s skin.

 

the sorcerer releases a quiet exhale when she sees a bright light erupt from the curse’s hand. she braces herself for it though it never arrives.

 

son seungwan stands in front of her with her hand lifted, her cursed technique absorbing what would have been a devastating blow from the special grade. the round sunglasses she constantly wears hides the glint of anger in her eyes but joohyun feels it through her cursed energy coating the air around them. for a moment, everything stills, until seungwan curls her fingers into a fist.

 

the fight is over upon seungwan’s arrival.

 

the special grade is exorcised in the manner that one would crumple a piece of paper and eradicated by what many deem the best sorcerer of their generation. without speaking, seungwan kneels beside joohyun and gently scoops her up.

 

cradled in her arms, joohyun releases a soft exhale as she rests her head against seungwan’s chest.

 

“don’t be mad.”

 

“you could’ve died, i have every right to be mad.”

 

biting her lower lip, joohyun murmurs, “i could’ve, but i didn’t.”

 

the blonde pauses in her step, jaw tightening as she looks down at joohyun. beneath her sunglasses, her sharp gaze threatens to bore a hole into her classmate, forcing her to rescind her comment.

 

“sorry,” she sighs, “what about your technique?”

 

seungwan shrugs, “i’ll kill anyone who gets in my way.”

 

her technique is one she’s been secretly honing for months now and between them, they’re aware of all kinds of eyes on them. from rival clans to curse users with ill intent, the jujutsu world is keeping an eye on son seungwan.

 

using it so openly in a mission meant to draw out her power will lead to repercussions, the pair saw it coming but it’s been proven that joohyun isn’t enough to help keep it a secret. the disparity in their skill grows and so does a divide between them; a splinter so minute that one would’ve simply ignored until it grows into a glaring crack. 

 

“you’re strong, seungwan-ah.” joohyun speaks quietly, “stay this way.”

 

seungwan snorts, “i have no intention to change.

 


satosugu pains me, i'll fix u geto!!!