easier than lying

moonlight

spy x family au.


 

"joohyun?"

 

"seungwan?"

 

the sound of their voices simultaneously calling out each other’s names confirms that the person standing in front of them is indeed their wife.

 

well, .

 

it looks good for neither of them — seungwan, in the midst of ruffling through drawers of the minister of foreign affairs while joohyun is standing in the doorway of the office, holding up said minister who is thankfully unconscious.

 

or perhaps dead, seungwan notes grimly.

 

despite being frozen with shock, years of being in their respective occupations have led to well-developed analytical skills. one glance is enough to gather all the information they need to decipher this puzzling situation they’ve found themselves in.

 

the needle-like weapons in joohyun’s hands and the remnants of a well-made face mask on the desk between them says it all.

 

“you might want to close the door behind you before we start talking.” seungwan nods towards the open door;  it’ll leave her trapped in an enclosed space with an assassin but if she tries, perhaps she’ll be able to negotiate a favourable outcome for the both of them.

 

joohyun snaps back into focus, shutting the door behind her as she lugs the large man into the room and drops him in the corner of the office. with that settled, the couple comes face to face with each other. 

 

perhaps it’s seeing each other in their actual fields of work or being caught red-handed for the first time that brings about a different type of fear. to think that they thought they had each other figured out after months of living together, it’s almost laughable. 

 

a spy and an assassin, who would’ve thought?

 

while seungwan thinks of ways to negotiate, joohyun is wrestling with the thought of having to kill her adorable wife. it’s odd that they find themselves in such a predicament, but the sham marriage makes a lot more sense now. typically, couples would get upset if one of them kept such a big secret but neither one is mad at the other for keeping this part of them hidden.

 

“i know you’re thinking about killing me but let’s talk first,” seungwan starts with a nervous swallow, she knows how deadly joohyun can be with just her bare fists, a weapon into her hands and seungwan might take her last breath before the clock strikes midnight.

 

joohyun nods, she wants to avoid killing the wife she’s grown so fond of if possible, but her weapon remains poised to kill. instinct tells her that seungwan is armed as well — and she is, a revolver is tucked into the back of her pants, obscured by her blazer.

 

“is he dead?” the spy nods her head to the man on the floor, whether he lives or dies isn’t important to her mission but it might be to joohyun’s.

 

the assassin shakes her head, “but he has to be before i leave.” narrowing her eyes, she questions her wife as well, “why are you in his office?”

 

“incriminating documents.” seungwan lifts a stack of folders that she had just fished out from the minister’s locked safe, “it’ll be easier for me if you get rid of him.”

 

once again, they can be of use to each other — at least, that’s what seungwan hopes joohyun is able to see. studying her closely, she can tell the woman she shares a bed with is assessing the situation carefully.

 

“what about our daughter?”

 

our daughter.

 

the words make seungwan’s heart drop to the depths of her stomach, the family that they’ve tried so hard to create and maintain might just fall apart tonight. dread fills her chest but it shouldn’t be this way — somewhere along the lines of pretending, seungwan has allowed herself to believe in the lie as well.

 

they are a family and joohyun is her wife.

 

clenching her teeth, she searches joohyun’s eyes for a hint that this could be a lie to get her guard down. but all she finds is a genuine concern, the very same eyes filled with worry when it comes to matters regarding their daughter.

 

“if you choose to, we’ll continue as per normal until we have no use for each other or we find ourselves in this situation again. you keep my secret and i keep yours, and our daughter gets to keep her parents.”

 

a favourable outcome for their family has been proposed, and joohyun sheathes her weapon in a holster strapped to her thigh. she extends a hand across and seungwan accepts it with a firm shake — she saved their marriage for today.

 

“if you have everything you need, i’ll meet you outside in five minutes.”

 

the spy tucks the files into a hidden pocket in her blazer and beams, “see you outside, honey.”

 

the endearment never fails to make joohyun smile, even if she thinks it’s just a way to make their marriage a little more believable. she enjoys it, even if it’s an act.

 

within ten minutes, the couple bid farewell to the other partygoers who are none the wiser about the fact that the host is laying in a pool of his own blood. hand-in-hand, they exit the premises with the excuse that their daughter is awaiting their return.

 

a spy and an assassin, who would’ve thought that they’d end up complementing each other so well?

 

stepping into the chilly autumn winds, joohyun presses herself closer to seungwan while the latter slides an arm around her as if they weren’t on the brink of killing each other minutes ago. they amble down the streets, playing the part of a young couple madly in love with each other a little too comfortably.

 

“we should go on another date.” joohyun suggests. ignoring the fact that they’ve discovered the truth about each other will get them nowhere, so maybe, they could work towards a different outcome instead. “without any lies or pretence.”

 

the idea takes seungwan by surprise and she takes a moment to consider the pros and cons. to agree is practically a death sentence, having someone with joohyun’s capabilities know even a shred of information about who she really is could end up a fatal mistake. yet, regardless of all the risks, she agrees with a slow nod.

 

to die by her hands might not be such a bad way to go.

 

“i’d like to get to know the real you as well.”