Friends + unexpected encounter

Why did she break up with me?

"Ms Shin is asking for you, Ms Kim."

Minjeong sighs for the million times as she takes off her spectacles. She closed the file she's reviewing before looking up at Amanda, Ryujin's assistant.

"Okay."

Minjeong stands up and only takes her phone with her as she went to the top floor to see Ryujin at her office.

"Oh. Minjeong ah!" Ryujin greeted her cheerfully.

"What now?"

Don't get her wrong, within the past few days, she's getting closer with Ryujin because of how persistent the woman is into bothering her all the time. Minjeong does not mean to he rude to her boss' daughter but sometimes Ryujin really gets on her nerve.

"Aww. Don't you feel honoured that you keep getting called by me?" Ryujin asked and grinning cheekily at her.

"No. You keep disturbing me doing my work. I can always report you to my boss for being such a disturbance you know." Minjeong said in all seriousness.

"I thought I'm your boss, no?"

"Your father is."

Ryujin laughed and raised her hands up in surrender.

"Let's have lunch."

"It's still early."

"We can go for an early lunch."

"Ms Shin, I take my job responsibility in a very serious manner. I don't go out for lunch when it's not time for lunch break yet."

Ryujin hums and taps her chin. She nods before standing up.

"Okay, then let's have lunch during lunch break. I promise I will stop bothering you after that."

Minjeong squints her eyes and thinking if she can trust Ryujin's words or not.

"I'm Shin Ryujin, I keep my words all the time." Ryujin said again to convince her.

"Fine but you pay."

"Deal!"

Minjeong then turned to leave. Ryujin sighs before slumping down on her swivel chair as her eyes stays on the closed door.

"I like her. She's so real around me." Ryujin smiled.

 

 

... 

 

 

The staffs there were surprises to see Ryujin came to get Minjeong on her floor for lunch. She even asked a permission from her department to steal Minjeong. 

"You're going to give them a wrong idea. Stop acting that way." Minjeong commented and walked ahead when Ryujin told her team that she promised she will take care of their leader.

"It's a beautiful idea, don't you think?" Ryujin asked and gets on the elevator with her.

"No."

Ryujin shakes her head and pressed then 'G' button. She glance at Minjeong and smiles.

"Stop smiling. You're annoying." Minjeong said then walked out first leaving a chuckling Ryujin behind her.

"Okay come on, I'll drive." Ryujin said.

Minjeong makes herself comfortable when they were inside Ryujin's car. Ryujin feels glad that Minjeong starts to warm up with her already.

"What would you like to eat?" Ryujin asked.

"Huh?" Minjeong looks at Ryujin then she remembered how Jimin will always know her preferences.

Jimin knows where to go and what to eat. Jimin knows what she likes and what she don't. Sometimes, she will tell Jimin directly what she wants. Jimin will always follow whatever she wants.

"Just... Anything." Minjeong mumbled before she looks away.

Ryujin decided to go to the restaurant 10 minutes away from their workplace. The two of them chose the corner seats.

"If I remember it correctly, their steak here is good." Ryujin said as she flipped the menu book.

Minjeong blinked her eyes, just staring blankly at the menu. Her mind wanders to Jimin again. Jimin. Usually, Jimin will be the one who will look through the menu and will scan all the choices that Minjeong would like. Minjeong will only need to decide between the best options that Jimin told her.

Or there would be times when Minjeong does not need to think hard of what should she order as Jimin will order what she would like to eat without asking more. Jimin will always make it easier for her. Jimin knows her the best, she will make sure Minjeong's brain and mind will be free from thinking too much out of work.

"Minjeong?"

"Huh?"

"I asked if you know what do you want to order already?"

"Oh."

Minjeong grabbed the menu and flipped it open.

"I'll just get this."

"Okay. What about drinks?"

"Just water please."

Ryujin nods and called for the waiter to get their order. Minjeong sighs. She may not show it but everything she do and everywhere she go, she will always remember everything about Jimin.

"I saw the news." Ryujin said.

"What news?" Minjeong asked.

"About you and Karina Yoo."

"Oh, yeah."

"So, Karina Yoo huh."

"Hmm."

"What is she like?" Ryujin asked.

"Why do you want to know?" Minjeong frowns, suddenly feeling a bit upset.

"Oh. Don't get me wrong. I'm not interested in her nor do I approach you to get information about her." Ryujin quickly explained.

"I'm just... Curious. You know since... She's mysterious? We don't know much about her. She's always so cold and strict outside." Ryujin said.

"She's just Karina Yoo in the public eyes and she's Yoo Jimin around people that's important to her like her family and friends." Minjeong said, smiling slightly remembering Jimin's soft side when she's with her alone.

Ryujin rests her chin on her palm as she stares at Minjeong.

"Why did you guys break up?"

Minjeong sighs. Of course Ryujin will ask. Ryujin have always been so straightforward from the start.

"I think I can choose not to answer to that question, right?"

"Right. Of course. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Like I said, I'm just curious. We can talk about something else if you want." Ryujin quickly said.

"Thank you." Minjeong said.

"But I hope you know, I just want to be your friend. I don't have any evil intention towards you. I genuinely like you." Ryujin said.

"Okay." Minjeong nods.

"So, can I be your friend?" Ryujin asked. 

Minjeong looks at Ryujin's mischievous and cheeky smile before she finally smiles back at her. Ryujin's eyes widened seeing Minjeong for the first time smiling widely at her.

"Sure. Friends." Minjeong said.

 

 

Unknown to them, a pair of eyes were watching them intently from the other end of the restaurant. 

"Stop staring at them. It's creepy!"

"I don't like what I'm seeing, Aeri."

"Well, bear with it. She's not yours anymore, Jimin."

Jimin glared at her and frowned.

"I'll make her mine again."

"Then do something instead. She might even be with someone new if you're just going to do nothing about it."

"I hate you."

"Yeah, same. Now stop ranting and do something."

Jimin sighs and looks at Minjeong who's now laughing happily at whatever Ryujin is telling her.

"You know what, you're right." Jimin said.

"I know I'm ri- wait, hey where are you going? Jimin?" Aeri facepalmed when Jimin ignored her and only watches as Jimin sauntered towards Minjeong.

"She's gonna create another headline with her name." Aeri sighs.

Jimin is getting closer when she heard Minjeong's conversation with Ryujin. 

"Yeah. That's how I am."

"That's stupid."

Ryujin grinned when Minjeong keeps laughing because of her.

"Didn't expect to see you here." Jimin mumbled softly. She stops beside Minjeong and looking down at her.

"Hi." Jimin smiles charmingly, the same smile that has always been able to make Minjeong swoon over her. 

"Jimin?"

Jimin looks at Ryujin, giving her an intimidating glare which Ryujin only gave an awkward smile in return. Jimin put her hand on Minjeong's chair backrest as she stares fondly at her again.

"Can we talk? Minjeong?" Jimin asked softly.

Ryujin's mouth turned a shape of an 'O' hearing the very soft tone from Jimin for the first time. She watches Jimin and Minjeong with interest while keeping quiet.

"I..." Minjeong looks back at Ryujin. She only shrugs her shoulders.

"Not now, Jimin. As you can see, I'm with someone." Minjeong said.

Jimin frowns but still tried to smile at Minjeong.

"Then, can I at least hope that you will reply to my message?" Jimin asked. This time, her hand moves to hold Minjeong's shoulder.

"I'll try." Minjeong said.

"Okay. I will wait for your reply." Jimin nods. She was about to kiss her cheek as a habit but stops midway when she realised things are not the same anymore. Minjeong's eyebrows raised as she looks at Jimin.

"Sorry. Text me okay." Jimin said again and stands up straight. She pats Minjeong's shoulder before walking back to Aeri.

Minjeong looks at Jimin sadly before sighing as she looks down on her lap. Ryujin tilted her head and stares at Minjeong's down face.

"Hey, do you want to eat at somewhere else?" Ryujin asked.

"No. I'm good." Minjeong replied, trying to smile. Her chest tightened seeing Jimin again after their break up. She cannot deny that Jimin still have the same effects on her.