Shin

Why did she break up with me?

Minjeong was just going through the new report from her department team when she heard 3 knocks on the door. She lifts up her head just in time when the door was open only to see Mark coming in with a grin on his face. Minjeong shakes her head and continues reading the report, letting Mark closed the door before approaching her table to sit across her.

"Been busy ay." Mark said casually which Minjeong only hums in return.

"Seems like the news won't die down anytime soon. Are you going to do anything about it?" He asked.

"Nope. I don't owe the public the explanation. They should just get over it and move on."

"Well, you can't blame them when people just love to see you and Kari- Okay, I'll stop." Mark made a zipping up gestured on his mouth when Minjeong glared at him.

"But... I thought it's you and her till the end you know." Mark said.

"Nothing is perfect in this world, Mark. Not even us." Minjeong said and flipped through the papers.

Mark nods then put a file on the table.

"That's the feedback from the boss."

"I see, thanks." Minjeong grabbed the file and put it near her laptop.

"Heard the boss' daughters will be coming back from Canada."

Minjeong's hands stopped flipping the papers and now she's looking at Mark.

"How did you know?" She asked.

"When you're friends with everyone, it's easy to gain such info." Mark grinned cheekily.

"You and your gossip friends." Minjeong chuckled.

"Hey, it's useful to know everyone. So you wouldn't be left out with everything. All right, I should stop bothering you now. Need to finish some work."

"Yeah, go go."

"Are you coming with us for dinner tonight though?" Mark asked before he opens the door. Minjeong just smiled apologetically and Mark only nods in understanding.

When Minjeong was about to continue her work, she received a text message from Ning.

 

Why aren't you going with us tonight?     3:17pm.

 

"Ah, Mark. He sure is fast spreading the update about me." Minjeong mumbles. She ignores the message and grabs the file that Mark just gave her earlier.

"Hm, so the heiresses will return soon. I wonder if I know them." She talks to herself.

 

 

...

 

 

"It's so cold tonight." 

Minjeong rubs her both hands and put them on her cheeks. She smiled as she lifts up the lid of her cup ramen and sighs in content smelling it.

"Let's dig in." She grabs her chopstick and starts eating when a stranger came to stand beside her, holding the same cup ramen as hers.

"Do you mind if I sit here?"

Minjeong was still slurping the noodles when she turned her head a little to look at the woman who just talked to her. The girl had a shoulder length hair, looking down at her with a smile on her face and already putting down her ramen on the table. Minjeong quickly swallowed down the food and her lips clean before bowing her head slightly at the stranger.

"I don't. Please." Minjeong said and gestured her to just sit.

"Thanks." The woman smiled again and sat down.

"Think we like the same ramen." She said once she's sitting down.

"Ah." Minjeong glanced at her own ramen before looking at the woman's one.

"Yeah." Minjeong nods.

"Are you a regular here? It's my first time coming here, I just got back in town and decides to walk around since I live nearby."

"I... Well, yes."

"Sorry, did I talk too much for a stranger?" The woman asked in concerned.

"Oh, no no. It's fine. I just, don't really talk a lot. I prefer to listen to people." Minjeong replied.

"Is that true? Hm, well, do you want to be my listener for tonight? I have a lot that I want to rant about but I don't have anyone to talk to right now."

"Sure. I'll try my best to be a good listener."

The woman laughed seeing Minjeong's serious face.

"I was kidding but okay, since we're talking now..."

So the woman starts to rambling about her life and how her future has been decided by her family without her agreement. Minjeong listened carefully and added on some advices for her as well. Unknowingly, it was already an hour of them talking and their cup ramen has finished long ago.

"I feel better now. Thank you for listening."

"No problem."

The both of them stands up and threw their rubbish to the bins and left the store together.

"Where do you live?" The woman asked.

"Oh. I'm sorry, I don't... really share my address to a random stranger."

"Opps. My bad. I forgot that we're strangers. You just feel nice to be around with."

Minjeong only nods and excuses herself.

"Take care." The woman said and waves her hand happily. She watches Minjeong's back until she disappeared around the corner.

"Pretty. I wonder what's her name? Wait, why didn't I ask- Aish. Shin Ryujin, you're truly an idiot!" The woman cursed and ruffled her own hair in frustration.

"Oh well, I hope I can meet you again, pretty stranger." Ryujin smiled to herself before turning around to walk to her apartment.

 

 

...

 

 

"Damn it!" 

Minjeong keeps pressing the elevator button while fixing her hair. She overslept and was rushing her way now, especially when Ning just called her 10 minutes ago that the boss is looking for her since the daughters had just arrived unexpectedly at the company today. She heards murmurs and whispers from the staffs talking about the surprise arrival of the heiresses when she ran through the lobby earlier.

After finally a long time, she reached the top floor where the boss' office is located. She jogged and bowed to the secretary who only told her to be fast and go straight to the office.

She took a deep breathe before knocking on the door, she heard a soft "come in" from her boss before turning the doorknob.

"Good morning, I apologise for my tardiness." She quickly said and bowed her head.

"That's fine, Minjeong. You're allowed to come in late as you have been working too hard for our company." She released a sigh when she heard a happy tone from her boss.

"Thank you, Sir." She then made her way to Ning's side who she saw was holding her laugh.

"Minjeong?"

Minjeong's eyebrows furrowed when she heard a familiar voice calling out her name in unsure manner. So she looks up only to widen her eyes seeing the same stranger she bumped into last night.

"It's you, pretty stranger. Hi!" Minjeong's jaw dropped and her eyes glancing at everyone in the room in nervousness. Ning, Mark, Jaemin, Seulgi, her boss and another unknown woman were inside the office. All the higher ups were there.

"Wait, do you know her, my dear?" Her boss asked the stranger.

"Yes, wait, no. I mean, no. But I saw her last night and I just happened to know her name now."

"Oh, okay. So, Minjeong. This is my eldest daughter, Ryujin and this is our youngest, Yuna. Girls, that's Kim Minjeong, she's the finance director."

"Hello, nice to meet you." Yuna greeted her.

"Hello." Minjeong bowed.

"Let's be friends." Ryujin said and walked closer to offer her a handshake.

"Uh..." Minjeong glanced at her boss, Mr Shin just nods at Minjeong.

"Hi, Ms Shin." Minjeong greeted her awkwardly and accepted her handshake.

"No, don't be formal. Just call me Ryujin. They all can call me by my name, right dad?" Ryujin asked.

"If that's what you like. I don't have a problem with that." Mr Shin said.

"Now that since you are all here, I will just brief you guys about some changes here." Mr Shin added.

Mr Shin explained that he will leave the company under Ryujin's care while he's away to take care some business oversea while Yuna will learn from the bottom with the assistance of them all as she's still new to the business world, unlike Ryujin who got experiences from before. He told his daughters that they can always rely on all the staffs present at the office for any help, that's including Minjeong.

After done with the briefing, Mr Shin dismissed them to talk to his daughters. Mark immediately teasing Minjeong for being late at the wrong timing.

"Can't believe our hardworking Minjeong is late." Jaemin whistled while Ning only pushed him when Minjeong starts to glare at them.

"I hate you guys." Minjeong groaned and walked faster, leaving them all behind just laughing at her.

"But, how did you know the eldest daughter though?" Ning asked once they were all inside the elevator.

"You heard her, we met last night." Minjeong said vaguely.

"Oh come on, we want the detail!" Ning said while the others nodded their head in agreement except for Seulgi.

"Please spare her, she's still processing that she came in late for the first time." Seulgi chuckled.

"Yes, spare me. Thank you, Seulgi unnie." Minjeong said. 

"Fiiiineee." The other three just agreed to let go of the topic.