𝔬𝔫𝔢

𝕬̀ 𝖑𝖆 𝖋𝖔𝖑𝖎𝖊

 


 

 

“Is that your boyfriend?” Winter’s scandalous gasp causes Karina to quickly flip her phone face down. 

“Something like that,” Karina murmurs, playing it cool with an unalarmed poker face.

“Hul, why didn’t you tell me sooner? I didn’t know you and Lee Jeno had a thing going on,” Winter presses on, “But isn’t he already seeing someone? I heard she’s the goddess of the engineering department at school.”

Karina sighs and takes a moment to really stare at herself in the mirror. Her eyeshadow is perfect with rhinestones that dance in the light and graphic eyeliner, a new cushion compact makes her skin look glassy and perfect, and the transparent shimmery gloss works wonders for her lips. All juicy, plump, and ready for kissing.

“So, he must be the reason you’re getting all dolled up tonight, huh?” Winter smirks knowingly only for Karina to glare at her through the mirror.

“Can’t you be annoying somewhere else?” She snips coldly with narrowed eyes. “Worry about yourself.”

Winter feigns hurt with a pout. “Awe, is my dear unnie embarrassed about being the side chick?”

Karina whips around, glass heart shattering in her ribcage. She doesn’t need reality slapping her in the face. Doesn’t need the blatant reminder that echoed in the back of her mind like a broken record to be announced so loudly. She’s not wrong, she knows deep down inside Winter is judging her and rightfully so. But she doesn’t care about what’s right or wrong anymore, she’s  in too deep. She points a manicured finger to the door. “Get out of my room. Now.”

The short haired girl shrugs. “Whatever, have fun playing second choice to someone else’s man~”

 

Second choice.

 

Karina groans inwardly after the door slams shut. Her moral compass long crooked. Her heart long broken. Her self-respect long gone. The high school version of herself would hate her current self so much right now. She wanted to become a venerable, intelligent woman in college. She had wanted to find a man who would selflessly shower her in love and affection. Who would worship the ground she walks on and make everyday feel like Valentines Day. But instead, she got Lee Jeno.

 

Second choice.

 

Jeno was already taken the moment she first laid eyes on him. She had already given her heart away for him to devour on a silver platter the minute he noticed her. Everyone respected Jeno, adored him, wanted to be noticed by him. There was something dark and wild about him, like a blend of Sergei Polunin, designer streetwear, and unknown constellations. His persona burned her up and she surrendered to being a prisoner to his scorching heat. He would always soothe her just to torture her again and she didn’t mind. If he were to destroy her completely, she wouldn’t mind.

 

Hence, the ghost of a broken promise and three martinis in has Karina wishing she never stepped out tonight. Enamored couples sporadically space out through the dim, violet-hued bar while sultry R&B flirts low on the speakers. The pitiful glance the bartender sends only spites her even more. A hundred strangers could tell her she looks like a queen and she would still feel like crap. Everything is meaningless without him.

“I’ll have a Jack Daniels,” Her iridescent-veined, frosted heartbreak desires a stronger medicine of honeyed whiskey. Not even a beat after, strong arms envelops her frame and a chin fits into the crook of her shoulder. Her pulse quickens under his touch, she kills the weak sigh of relief in .

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Jeno’s melted chocolate baritone seeps sweetly in her ear, winding her up and calming her down all at the same time. Blushing furiously, she turns around in his embrace and faces him to silently study his handsome features. She can’t help but frown at the faded remnants of ruby lipstick smudged at the corner of his mouth. A raging sea surges through her veins and seeds of insecurity begin to sprout within her fragile confidence. Her darkened eyes wander back up to his that search hers with sugared intensity. His alluring eyes that are black roses uncurling moonlit addiction and silver exhilaration. Decadent eyes that are fully on her with the utmost attention. The same dangerous ones that haunt her in beautiful nightmares and barb wired heart protected fantasies.

“You were with her, weren’t you?” She hates how stupid she sounds right now. Jeno’s slight smile makes her feel lonelier than an abandoned castle. Karina watches with a vengeance as he opts to steal the whiskey glass between her fingers and take a long, sensual sip of the golden brown liquid.

“I thought you couldn’t handle dark liquor,” His tender words chill like frosted cyanide in her system, “You shouldn’t drink too much. It’s bad for your body.”

Her glittering gaze hardens. “Don’t give me that right now. Answer my question.”

“Or were you trying to get hangover fast on purpose so I could take care of you?” He grins slyly.

“Jeno—”

“You look pretty tonight,” He’s everywhere again, the intoxicating scent of him adrenaline-rich coffee YSL cologne, oriental incense, salt and sweat — engulfs Karina’s senses as he buries his face deep in the crook of her neck and shoulder. “Always so damn pretty.”

Confusion, hatred, butterflies. She involuntarily becomes pliant in his hold, tamed by his demure obscenity and starlight confessions. I love you, she wants to hide deep in his heart. Don’t make me jealous, she leans back a little and softly grips his jaw. Only be good to me, she wipes a gentle thumb against his lipstick mark until it’s all erased. His mouth opens instinctively as she leans in to kiss him, desperate and hard. Lashes fluttering, all the annoyance she felt ashes to scattering dust and withered petals.

 

Second choice.

 

 

I’m a slave to you, but love is the cruelest master.