Chapter 3

Silent Confession
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3: Unconcern

*** 

Kyungsoo winced as pain shot up his back when he was about to stretch out on the bed. He peeled the duvet off his aching body and slowly sat up, recalling the cause of the pain. He sighed and blinked away the sleepiness and fatigue that still enveloping him.  

He walked to the bathroom with the disheartening thought of striving another day at school in his quest for successfully graduating - it wasn’t smooth as he dreamed of.  

Staring at his face in the mirror, he took a moment to examine any visible injury inflicted from yesterday's incident. He breathed in relief, found nothing obvious except a cut on his lip that still stung which he could pull a little lie if it was asked. Mrs. Kim would surely be bombarding him with worries if she caught him in a bruise or any severe wound. That was the last thing he wanted, to be labeled a problematic kid and worry her.   

“Good morning.” He greeted once he walked down and found Mrs. Kim was already seated at the dining table with Jongin.   

“Morning, come have your breakfast.” She looked up to him and smiled, only a second before it faltered and replace with a frown. “Are you okay, Kyungsoo-ya?”  

Kyungsoo felt alarmed as he slowly sat next to Jongin. The latter was focused on his plate, ignoring his presence as usual and not even glancing up to him.  

Kyungsoo nodded his head and gave her a small smile of assurance.   

“You look pale. If you’re not feeling well, just skip school today. I will take you to the clinic.”  

“I’m fine, Ajumma.” He muttered and drink his milk, ignoring the faint throbbing that already started in his head with aching back from the fall yesterday.  

“Are you sure? Should I drive you to school today?”  

Kyungsoo shook his head. “No, I’m fine. I can still ride-” he paused, remembering that his bike was already ruined so he needed to take a bus today. And that meant he had to walk with Jongin to the bus stop, which would seem to be questionable to Mrs. Kim.   

“If you say so. But if anything, call me okay.”   

Kyungsoo nodded again, glad that she didn’t seem to notice his difference and asking further.   

“And you, Kim Jongin. Please look after Kyungsoo. Don’t go wander around after school, come straight home if there is nothing better to do. Your father will blame me if your report card shows poor progress than when you were with him.”  

“A bad report card isn't the end of life.” The lad let out plainly.   

“Well, you can say that to your father and grandma that busy to put you next in the line for taking over their empire.” 

Jongin dropped his spoon on the table and stood up rather harshly, causing his chair to screech discordantly against the marble tiled floor.   

“I’m off now.” He grabbed his backpack and strode towards the entrance without turning back.  

“Aish, this inconsiderate kid...” Mrs. Kim muttered discontentedly while staring at her retreating son. “Is he still cold toward you?”  

“Huh?” Kyungsoo looked at her, looking caught off guard by the sudden question. He shook his head quickly. “No. He’s just normally quiet.”  

“Really?” Mrs. Kim’s raised her eyebrows, looked unconvincing but didn’t inquire him more. She then reached out and ruffled his hair. “You’ll be late to school if you do not catch up with him now.”   

Kyungsoo nodded and stood up from his seat after finishing his pancake. “Then, I’m going now.”  

He delayed his move to walk to the main road of the residential area, bearing in mind to let Jongin take the bus before he reached there. That would save him from walking with the guy to school.   

Once he reached the bust stop, he was glad to see there was no one around. He smiled when he saw the bus came just right on time, saving him from boring waiting. He was about to step onto the bus when he sensed someone behind him, he turned and jumped slightly. 

“Y-you are still here?”  

The calm-looked Jongin, who seemed to appear out of nowhere, looked at him as if he was just asked something foolish.   

Kyungsoo blinked out of his surprise quickly. “I-I meant... I thought you already get on the first bus.”  

Jongin just shrug. “You’re blocking the way. Hurry up.” He tilted his chin, signalling him to get into the bus.   

Kyungsoo hurriedly moved, tapped his transportation card on the meter before his eyes roamed to find a vacant seat. Seeing the bus was cramped, it charged up his nervous system, as he always used to be the earliest one to catch the first bus - not used to being tardy. But today was a different story, his bike broke and he wanted to avoid Jongin as much as he was willing to break his daily timeline.  

Kyungsoo moved further inside as Jongin come and stood next to him. He gulped, not trusting himself to stand the throbbing pain in his head and the heat from the cramped space, it just worsened his nervousness. 

He slung his backpack in front of his chest, a habit he used to avoid crashing directly into the occupied seat before him as people kept pushing. Kyungsoo held on the handgrip above his head, while his other hand tightened on his front backpack as the bus lurched from time to time when it stopped due to traffic. The ride was not smooth today, added up he already felt a little dizzy.   

There were about five stops before they reached the school, and each time the bus stopped, Kyungsoo felt his legs wobbled and his breathing shortened, people kept getting on and seemingly no one get off the bus. He closed his eyes and took a staggering breath when he felt a warm palm on his back.   

His eyes snapped open. He looked up at Jongin who just stared out the bus window.  

“You look like you gonna pass out in seconds. Bear with it a little bit, only two stations left.” Jongin muttered with one hand was placing on his back, steadied him. The other just stood close to him and didn’t budge even people kept pushing them, seemingly sparing a little space for Kyungsoo to stand.  

Kyungsoo dropped his eyes, through his dizziness, he couldn’t help but felt warmth spread through his chest by such a small gesture of concern, from Jongin.  

*  

Kyungsoo’s eyes squinting to find his classmate among the group of students clustered around the school field, even he already had his glasses on. What a day to have PE first thing in the morning. Everyone had already in their sportswear, and he chose to be the last to change and step out into the field, looking like a lost duckling.   

It seemed the teacher was not around, which was not normal since their PE teacher had always let them decide on their preferred outdoor activities based on the majority. They had combined with other classes for the subject, and Kyungsoo spotted Chanyeol at the far end of the field. His friend was currently foolishly kicking a ball into a line of cones, turning a football into a bowling game.  

Watching that silly act of his friend, he smiled a little before turning to walk to his classmates that currently were gathering at the volleyball court. But suddenly something flew out of nowhere and hit right on the back of his shoulder. Kyungsoo let out a small yelp, his back was already in pain to receive the sudden hit.  

He was not surprised to see Jae Wook and Min Hyuk, one of his loyal minions walking to him with a silly grin on their faces.  

“Surprise to see you still intake after what happened yesterday, I thought you would be limping today.” Jae Wook bent down and grabbed the ball he had just thrown.   

“It seems our little penguin is still standing strong.” He threw the ball again, aimed at Kyungsoo’s head this time.   

Kyungsoo was slow to dodge it as he just looked down to the grassy ground and bear the impact on the side of his head. Jae Wook laughed, satisfied seeing the other didn’t retaliate.   

He aimed the ball to repeat his action, but this time a hand came and caught the ball before it could hit the poor boy again.  

“The hell are you doing, jerk?”  

Kyungsoo looked up at the menacing tone from Chanyeol. His friend threw the ball away and stood before him, shielding him from Jae Wook’s towering height. Now, both guys stood at the same eye level, Chanyeol was indeed a bit taller than the other.   

“What... are you his backup? Hah, I never know a loser like you have a friend, Dodo.” Jae Wook leaned over to peer at him behind Chanyeol with a mocking smirk.  

“Move, I have unsettled business with the shorty. Not you.”  

Kyungsoo shrink as he stood stiffly, hoping Chanyeol won’t worsen the situation. Because in the end, he was the one who would bear all the consequences later if Jae Wook was unhappy and dissatisfied. The guy would be looking for him in the class. He was only overwhelmed by showing his superiority toward him.   

“If that business you’re implying is by throwing a ball to his head, then you better f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter