Set

Lucky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A day before the departure.

Chaeyoung came back after her rounds to a voicemail on her personal phone. Curious, she put it on speaker while she rechecked her files before calling it a day.

"Chaeng-ah, this is Moonbyul. Erm... I have something to say but please keep it a secret, especially from Yongsun unnie. I'm... planning to propose to her on the coming trip, and I kinda want to ask you some favor. Please call me back soon when you hear this voicemail."

The obstetrician immediately paused her work and pressed the call button. Byulyi answered after two rings. 

"CONGRATS MOON PRINCESS! YOU'RE FINALLY MAKING A MOVE!"

"Yah don't shout into the phone like that! I can't afford being deaf right now." The lawyer whined. "I still want to hear Yong moan-"

"Stop right there. Get your away from me. How do you want me to help anyway?"

"So, I've been practicing a particular song on your guitar all these weeks right?"

"Yes. Oh, is that the song you're going to propose her with?"

"Yep. Well, I want to ask if I can borrow your guitar and can you by any means transport it to me in Vietnam on the December 31st?" 

"I would gladly lend you the guitar, but why don't you just carry it with you two? And how the hell is it going to be in your hands in time if you only ask today? International delivery !"

Byulyi sighed. "Yes, I know I'm asking a little too much. I just don't want Yong to know anything, you know? I'm trying to prepare anything in secret."

There was a long pause, and she was about to hang up when a light bulb lit inside Chaeyoung's head. "Wait, I have a friend who is going to do a trekking tour in northern Vietnam and while she doesn't plan to stay too long in a place, Ha Giang is one of her destinations since the Dong Van trek is quite popular. I will check when she is coming there and call you back after, okay?"

"My god, thank you very much Chaeyoung! You're the best!"

"You're lucky I love you." Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, but deep down she felt genuinely happy for her friend. "Good luck, I'll wait the good news from you."

***

While Yongsun was away on her personal trip, Byulyi prepared a small breakfast with kimchi and ramen noodles they bought from home before going out to get her guitar. The "friend" turned out to be Lisa, Byulyi's classmate in advanced photography class, and not only she received the desired item, she was gifted with a bonus sightseeing tour where Lisa showed her the loop and the breathtaking view below the valley. Byulyi also had a chance to see the flower fields in person, and once again thanking herself for choosing such a marvellous place for her and Yongsun to visit.

When they said their goodbye, it was already late afternoon, but that was all she needed to prepare everything. The suitcase that usually contained her "emergency items" - learned from a 5-minute craft video where they show how to brace themselves in situations of flight delays - actually held fake rose petals, battery-lit candles (she didn't want to set the hotel on fire), and the most important item: the ring. She ordered room service for dinner before putting some make-up on her face, changing into a pretty and comfy dress and all was done.

Now she only had to wait.

***

Yongsun's eyes were filled with the candle lights that looked almost too real, scattered rose petals creating a pathway for her, leading to something so intense and affectionate she could make out from Byulyi's bright orbs under the crisp moonlight. Like on autopilot, she slowly walked towards her partner, who was waiting for her with a smile. 

- Take a seat, will you? - Byulyi pointed at the chair beside her. Byulyi was nervous, Yongsun could tell, and she was too. But judging by the way she fidgeted with the guitar - wait, where did she get that guitar? - the latter mustered up the courage to break the silence.

- So, - Her voice was soft as she gently placed her hand on her thigh. - This is the surprise you're talking about?

- Uh, yeah, - The younger woman cleared . - I want to do something special since you know, today is the last day of the year, I've practiced hard with Chaeyoung in secret. I'm no good at this, but I really enjoy this song and I hope you do too.

Yongsun could only nod. No wonder her partner was sneaking out every two days for the past month. They didn't have a guitar in the house; hell, she didn't even know her girlfriend could play the instrument. Her stomach churned in excitement, as she expected something grand about to happen, something as-

Her thought was interrupted as Byulyi started strumming the guitar. Their breaths and the melodious tune were the only sounds in the room, and Yongsun found herself deeply mesmerized with her soothing voice.

Do you hear me, I'm talking to you

Across the water, across the deep blue ocean

Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying

 

Oh, I hear you in my dreams

I feel your whisper across the sea

I keep you with me in my heart

You make it easier when life gets hard

 

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

 

They don't know how long it takes

Waiting for a love like this

Every time we say goodbye

I wish we had one more kiss

I'll wait for you, I promise you, I will

 

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

 

Lucky we're in love in every way

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed

Lucky to be coming home someday

 

And so I'm sailing through the sea

To an island where we'll meet

You'll hear the music fill the air

I'll put a flower in your hair

 

Though the breezes through the trees

Move so pretty you're all I see

As the world keeps spinning round
 

You hold me right here right now

 

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

 

I'm lucky we're in love in every way

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed

Lucky to be coming home someday

(Jason Mraz x Colbie Caillat - Lucky)

 

Yongsun felt like melting when she heard the lyrics. Because she too, had always been grateful to have met, loved and been loved by her best friend, the one who was singing all her heart out right now.

Byulyi took a deep breath, and Yongsun braced herself to listen to whatever she was going to say.

- It's been an honor of mine to know you all this time. We have shared so many memories and moments together, through thick and thin and everything in between. There have been times where I attempted to push you away because of my own selfishness and habit of social withdrawal, but you stayed every time just to make sure I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter