TAENY - Distance

The Kim Sisters and Their Girlfriends
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been 8 hours, 40 minutes and 10 seconds since Taeyeon dropped off Tiffany at the airport. Not that she was keeping track, she was just thinking. She was sitting at the kitchen, drinking coffee and stared at the empty chair in front of her. She sighed at the feeling of emptiness in their home and Zero must’ve felt it too because the silver poodle approached her, tapped its paws on Taeyeon’s leg, signaling her to pick him up.

 

“Yeah, I miss your Mommy too Zero.”

 

A month ago…

 

Tiffany loaded the dryer with their last batch of clothing. It was Saturday and the couple was at their home doing their normal chores.

 

At least that what Tiffany thought but when she went to the living room, she found her girlfriend laying down on the sofa, playing with her phone.

 

“Babe, what happened to vacuuming our living room?” She stood there with both hands on her waist.

 

Taeyeon pointed at the abandoned cleaning device right next to the coffee table.

 

“I was letting the vacuum rest.”

 

“Or you can just say that you needed a break, no need to blame it on the non-living thing.”

 

“You get my point. We’ve been cleaning the whole morning, come over here and rest with me.”

 

Tiffany shook her head and proceeded to sit at the end of the sofa but Taeyeon stopped her to sit up and had her girlfriend lay down with her head on her lap.

 

“See? Relaxing right?” Tiffany hummed in approval when Taeyeon started massaging her scalp.

 

Tiffany’s phone made a noise and Taeyeon reached for it and handed it to her.

 

“OHMYGOD!!!” Tiffany screamed in excitement and immediately sat up.

 

“What? What is it?”

 

“Jess finally gave birth!” She showed her girlfriend the text message with a picture of a new born baby.

 

“Awww, her baby is adorable!” Taeyeon cooed.

 

“She really is! Ahhh! We were texting yesterday and she was on labor for hours. But now, my Godbaby is here!”

 

“That’s nice of her to pick you as the baby’s Godmother.”

 

“Well, I mean she hasn’t yet but when we were in high school, we made a pact that when we have kids, we will be each other’s Godparents of our children.”

 

“Babe, that was high school, you guys were young, I’m sure it’s different now.”

 

“A pact is pact Boo. Jess and I have been in-touch ever since, even when I moved here in Seoul, she was pretty much the only one I was constantly in contact with.”

 

*ping* Another incoming message.

 

Tiffany’s smile widened and showed it to Taeyeon. “Told you so.”

 

Jess: When are you coming to see your Goddaughter? We miss you!

 

*End of flashback*

 

Taeyeon wanted to go with Tiffany to California, she really did but her co-producer was coincidentally on maternity leave and one of them had to be in the studio for the upcoming project. The trip was for three weeks and Tiffany’s schedule was not able to match hers so it was decided Tiffany was going by herself. Taeyeon couldn’t protest and was not going to make it about her, it was her girlfriend’s first Godchild, of course she had to go but it didn’t mean the older couldn’t sulk because she will miss Tiffany terribly.

 

Taeyeon remained busy during weekdays, she had work stuff to take care of after all. Her daily routine of calling and checking in on Tiffany didn’t stop especially when her girlfriend was overseas.

 

Different country. Different continent. Different time zone.

 

Taeyeon was having lunch in office and decided to FaceTime her girlfriend. Tiffany answered after a couple of rings.

 

“Hey Babe!”

 

She immediately smiled when her girlfriend’s face showed on her phone screen.

 

“Hi Baby! How’s your day going?”

 

Tiffany chuckled. It was night time in California and she briefly turned her camera on the side to show Taeyeon it was dark outside.

 

“Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting the time difference. I meant how was your day?”

 

“No worries and it was good. I mostly spent it with the baby and Jess. Her husband had to go back to work this week so it was just the three of us at their house.”

 

“You must be tired then. Have you eaten?”

 

“Yeah we finished dinner like half an hour ago. And I don’t feel tired, the baby literally just sleeps all day except for when I bother her and kept picking her up. Also this bab…”

 

Taeyeon was just smiling the entire time while listening to her girlfriend’s story, completely forgetting about the food in front of her. She always found it amusing when Tiffany talked animatedly about anything and she won’t ever get tired of listening. It reminded her of that one time they went on a date and the movie plot was ty so during dinner, Tiffany ended up talking about what the writers and director could’ve done to make the film better. Also, that one time when Tiffany brought her as a date to a fashion show and how her girlfriend explained the concept of each outfit while the models were walking on the runway.

 

Her point? Tiffany could literally talk about anything and Taeyeon would be mesmerized.

 

“Anyway, I’ve been blabbering again. I didn’t even ask you about your day. How’s the project coming along?”

 

“Hey, it’s okay, I love listening to your blabber. I love listening to your voice period. I miss you and work’s been busy but productive.”

 

“Aww.. Tae, I miss you too baby. I wish you were here.”

 

“Me too. I would fly there right now to be with you if I could. But alas, the adulting world is being cruel and decided to separate us…temporarily anyway.”

 

“That’s right, just temporary. Two more weeks and you’ll have me again.”

 

“But I want to have you now. I miss your kisses, I miss your bo..”

 

“Babe!!! That’s for later talk. I’m in the kitchen with Jess.”

 

In the background, Taeyeon heard Tiffany’s friend laughing and said something along the lines of “Stephanie, are you and Taeyeon being nasty right in front of me?” And her girlfriend throwing a crumpled paper towel in Jess’s direction.

 

“Go eat your lunch and I’ll call you later okay?” I love you Tae!”

 

“I love you and tell Jess she’s the one who did the nasty first that’s why she has a baby now.”

 

They ended the call and Taeyeon picked up her abandoned lunch to warm up on the microwave. “Two more weeks.” She sighed.

 

Weekdays wasn’t as bad for Taeyeon, it were the night times when she came home to an empty house and an empty bed. She made sure to spray Tiffany’s perfume on their pillows and didn’t change the bedsheets so she could at least have her girlfriend’s scent while she slept.

 

The following day was a weekend, meaning it was her days-off. She didn’t want to spend all day moping at home so she decided to go at her parent’s house. She informed her Mom she was coming over with Zero. When she arrived, she was welcomed with a table full of food.

 

“Eomma, it looks like we’re having a feast, you cooked so much.”

 

“Why of course, look at you, you’re losing weight from working too much. You should’ve taken that vacation with Miyoung-ah in the States.”

 

“I wanted to go, Eomma but I couldn’t, we have a deadline for an important project.”

 

“Aigoo, and that’s more important than your health huh?”

 

In the middle of the mother and daughter conversation, the other Kim daughter walked in.

 

“Oh hey Taeyeonnie!” Winter greeted. “How’s a whole week without Fany-unnie so far?”

 

“Ugh, don’t even remind me. I’m trying to survive but thanks for asking.” Taeyeon whined dramatically.

 

Winter chuckled and sat right next to her sister to eat.

 

“By the way Minjeong, do you want to have a sister bonding day today?”

 

Winter raised her eyebrow in suspicion. “You’re only asking because Fany-unnie is not here and you’re bored.”

 

“Yah, that’s not true, I ask you to hang out from time to time.” Taeyeon defended.

 

“Just admit that you’re bored and I’m your backup plan.” Winter playfully stuck her tongue out at her pouting sister. “I actually have plans with Karina today.”

 

“Oh. Uhm, that’s okay then. I guess I’ll just hang around here by myself.”

 

Winter could sense what her sister was trying to do, she had used this technic before with Taeyeon one too many times and her Taeyeonnie would always give in. She also knew her sister needed a distraction from being away with her Fany-unnie so she decided to be a good sister.

 

“But I guess you can come with us, I’ll just text Karina, I’m sure she wouldn’t mind. We’re going to the Zoo though, I hope you don’t mind hanging out with animals.”

 

“Not at all, I’m already hanging out with a puppy right now.”

 

The younger Kim glared at her sister’s joke. “Don’t make me change my mind Taeyeonnie.”

 

“What? I was referring to Zero.” Taeyeon laughed.

 

Kim Eomma smiled at her daughters’ banter. She loved seeing them together even when they play fight like this, it made her miss the times when the two were younger but she was happy that they were still inseparable.

 

Winter texted Karina about her sister tagging along to their date and was glad that her girlfriend was okay with it. Not just okay, she was ecstatic. Karina loved Winter so much that she wanted to be closer to Taeyeon as well.

 

“I’ll take all the opportunities to impress my future sister in law!” Karina’s response to Winter’s text message.

 

Karina didn’t have to try, really. Taeyeon already liked her for her sister from the moment she met the younger girl. Their relationship reminded her on how she and Tiffany w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter