Chapter 5

Hot Tea

ARIN'S POV

"Let's go into the classroom, you uhh... transfer student!" a guy ran and grabbed my head as I turn around.

"Hey, is your head okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, it's okay."

"Oh man, I thought my liver was going to drop. I really thought something was going to happen to you! I...huh? I...my god this is so powerful."

I guess he's the one who threw the ball to me. He checked my appearance and suddenly stood up his knee in front of me and boasted his kick. I didn't know his name, so I looked at his name tag and it was Nakamoto Yuta, a Japanese student?

"Yeah, that's right. I thought it was going to split your head."

"It's no joke!" I playfully laughed at him.

"You know it's a fiery shot, but I got it right on your face. Anyway, other than the head, are your limbs okay?"

"W-where else?"

"You put a stain of your blood on Soobin's PE uniform. You know he hated dirt on his clothes the most.

Yuta turn his gaze behind the classroom. When I look where he was pointing, I saw a gym uniform that has been thrown into the trash. The messy blood stains were a trace from her blood.

"I thought he was going to curse at you because of the way he throw his uniform and rushed to the clinic."

Even though he got a fierce look, I didn't get a piece of his curses. Did he went there to curse at me?

"Why did he carry me on his back?"

I fell down with a nosebleed, isn't it natural to have blood on it? If he don't like it, then he shouldn't have picked me up.

Yuta scratched his chin and look at me.

"Oh...that"

Yuta look away awkwardly. He seemed hesitant to answer, but suddenly someone jump out and took his place.

"This bastard drag you with his arms stuck in your armpits saying I couldn't carry him on my back. It was spectacular to see you being pulled and drag. One of your shoes came off, and then the other. I thought you were executed, not hit by a ball. Then Soobin suddenly carried you on his back."

A dude shorter than Yuta hit his thigh and continued to talk.

"Shooting the forest of flames and all the strength in my thighs was released, what....ahhhh!"

Before the interrupted dude could finish speaking, Yuta put on a headlock to the guy. The two walked away towards the other corner of the classroom.

In a meanwhile, the bell rang. I sat down and look at the empty seat next to me. Soobin who was left at the clinic, didn't seem to bother attending the class.

I took out my textbook and glance at the trash can. One sleeve was sticking out of the trash can.

"And it hurts a little because I feel like I've been ignored by someone."

This is very uncomfortable, I need to build a wall around me by answering 'no' to all their questions.

When something was not going well,  I rub my lips and peeled off the dead skin. A sharp pain spread through my lips like it's torn deeply.

While I was exhaling blankly, the front door of the classroom opened. The classroom which was a little noisy, become quiet for an instant.

"That seat belongs to Soobin right? Where is he?"

At the teacher's question, their eyes turn to me, not to Soobin's seat.It seems that they want me to answer the question. I swallowed my saliva and raise my voice cautiously.

"Sir he's sick, so he's at the clinic..."

At those words, Yuta, who sat diagonally, raised his eyebrows.  I had nothing to say, so I quietly bowed my head.

The class started without Soobin. It's true, it's a field of thorns because the atmosphere is really uncomfortable.

 

*Click* *click*, I press the button on the ballpen to remove the nib and insert it repeatedly. It was a meaningless act. It was an evidence of anxiety.

When Soobin returned from the clinic, he did not say anything about throwing away his gym uniform. Am I the only one who cares about the gym clothes in the trash?

He's expressionless, but why does it bother me so much like a thorn in my hand. For no reason, he didn't seem to laugh today, he look annoyed, and I thought it was because of me.

"Yah"

I quickly turn my head at the sound of the voice next to me. My lips are dry, not knowing what to say, when Soobin points at my ballpen.

"Stop doing that."

"Huh?" 

"Can you just put that ballpen on your desk?"

I put down the pen right away. I didn't even know that the clicking sound was loud because I was distracted elsewhere.

Choi Soobin moved his gaze back to his desk.

Be quiet because the sound is bothering me. That's what he meant. 

But what I'm consciously hearing was,

"I don't want to carry you on my back, I didn't even carry anyone on my back before, so don't talk to me."

Ahhhhh, I think I'm being paranoid. 

I wiggle my hands under the desk. I thought that it would be better to say thank you properly. That way I don't want to feel any less uncomfortable.

As soon as the class was over, I headed to the cafeteria. Just saying thank you doesn't look as sincere as Soobin's words, so I thought I'd give him something.

While snooping around the cafeteria, I bought a cup of coffee. On the way to the classroom, someone hit my back. When I turn around, Yeonjun suddenly pushed something into my arms.

"Oh, what, what is it?"

When I ask with wide eyes, Yeonjun said.

"Can you please give this to Soobin. You know, I'm in different class and you're more closer to him."

Yeonjun tap her shoulder and ran to the other side of the cafeteria. I'm holding a coffee on my right hand and a literature book on my left hand, looks like an errand girl...uhh boy.

When I entered the back door of the classroom, I saw Soobin lying down on his back. When I saw him, I suddenly got nervous. Why are you lying there?

I stumbled over and nudged him on his back. His head, which was resting on his outstretched right arm, moved slowly. His slowly-rising eyelids revealed his dark brown pupils.

My eyes met him. He look up at me in silence.

"Ah...this"

I put it down in both hands at the same time. Soobin's eyes turn to the one that fell on my desk.

"What's that?"

Soobin stood up and ask.

"Uh Yeonjun ask me to give this to you."

Soobin stared straight to my eyes and replied yes.

Oh, not that! Suddenly I also handed the coffee that I am going to give him, my voice never came out to thank him.

Soobin tilted his head and glance at me.

"Why? Do you have anything else to say?"

"Huh? Nope...that coffee"

"Do you want some?"

"Huh?"

Soobin handed me the coffee and the bell rang at the same time. I heard Soobin's voice through the continues ringing of the bell.

"I can't drink anything with caffeine. Why did that bastard give it to me when he knows it?"

"...."

Soobin shakes the coffee as if he's signaling me to get the coffee quickly.

"...Thanks. I'll drink this."

I took it quietly and sat down on my chair. I was dumbfounded. It might not be so easy if things don't work out.

My head sank weakly.

School ended like that without being able to properly say thank you to him with the coffee I bought to look sincere. In the end it ended up inside my bag.

​​​​​​

 

Arin feel weak on her way to the bus stop. She stood blankly, leaning back against a tree, and then she got on the bus.

It was nice that it wasn't crowded. Until I found him...

When she found an empty seat, she hurriedly went inside the bus. Before she sat down, she  saw Soobin sitting next to her and stopped. She look at the chair in front of her but she can't sit there unless her leg is broken. 

She's walking loudly and Soobin suddenly looks at her who was looking at window. Arin hurriedly turn her head to avoid eye contact. It was strange for her to change her seat so she grab the handle and look into the distance. Somewhere outside the window.

At the next stop, the bus stopped and there was a sound of card swiping.

"Huh? Is that Soobin?"

Soobin suddenly grab Arin's arm and pulled her into an empty seat when someone said that. She was shocked as she sat down in a crumpled shape.

Arin straightened her posture and cleared her messy hair. While the girl who seemed to have just boarded the bus went to her side.

"Soobinah, annyeong! It's been a long time."

"Yeah..."

Soobin wave his hand briefly and took out his earphone from his pocket and put it in his ear. It was a sharp move to end a conversation.

Arin bit her lips and glanced up at the girl and the girl just only smiled with embarrassment. She felt guilty for what Soobin did.

She tried to leave her seat thinking that the girl and Soobin were acquainted to each other but Soobin who was staring at the window suddenly grab her bag and pulls it down.

Woah...do you have a third eye on the back of your head?

Soobin turn his head slowly and lean his head slightly. His should hit against Arin's shoulder. Their head slightly touched together. He suddenly whispered lowly.

"Just sit down."

As soon as Arin nodded, Soobin made an eye contact and ask. "Huh?"

"Oh, sure."

Then Soobin moved his gaze out the window as he move away from leaning towards Arin. Her lost gaze pierced through the back of her seat.

IDIOT

There was a graffiti on it. Arin stared blankly at the arrow. For some reason, it seems like the head of the arrow was pointing towards her, so she turn slightly but it was useless.

The whole time she sat down, the arrow with an IDIOT graffiti was pointing towards her.

 

 

Arin ate her lunch and headed to the rooftop. She was sure that the classroom would be crowded and messy at that time.

There was not a single day she didn't miss that her classmate play the chicken game which was the official designated sport of the guys in 2nd year Class 1. During class break, if she stayed sitting on her chair, a chicken would suddenly flew a couple of times towards her desk. Everytime a  chicken fell, she was also dragged along with her desk. Within a few days of transferring, Hong Cha Yeon became the official paper doll of the second year class 1.

 

When Arin opened the rooftop door, she was welcomed by the panoramic view of the school. While heading to the bathroom on the 4th floor, she got curious about the stairs leading up and went up and found the rooftop.

Unused desks and chairs were piled up on one side of the roof, and no one was there because it was the East Building only used by the second year. It was a perfect place for her to hide and take a rest.

The students who had taken lunch were playing football on the field. She glanced at them and turn around. She remove the desks and stools that were piled up randomly and put the four desks side by side. She roughly wipe the dust off with her hand and lay down on the desk.

She took her ipod out of her pocket and untangled the earphone wire. A few years ago, her grandma's friend left it and was given to her grandma because the owner doesn't need it, and it became hers because her grandma didn't need it either.

Arin searched the music list and played Kim Jae-ok's "Princess is lonely".

She stared at the clear sky with the cheerful song. She raise the volume and close her eyes. A trumpet-like sound hit her ears.

When the previous song was over she repeated it again. She stomp her feet and sang along the song. Her hand on the desk were also tapping. Arin also move her head from left and right syncing with the beat.

Even though she listened to it repeatedly, she still didn't know the lyrics. Only a few part of it were correct, it was the only part she could sing along with confidence.

As always, for the unfamiliar lyrics, she pronounced it with a muffled humming. Suddenly her shoulders moved.

"Who~ who will know~ woahhh...the loneliness of being alone~"

Reaching the ,

"I am pretty! I'm lonely because I'm a princess~"

She exhaled half the air and half her voice. As she was tapping her feet, she smelled a cigarette burning from somewhere. She shut and focused on smelling.

Arin puff her nose and open her eyes. The clear blue sky first caught her eyes and then she pull out the earphone from her ear.

"Oh  I don't think you know we're here."

She heard a voice of a boy from afar.

"Who's there?" 

***