Chapter 3

Hot Tea

Arin is standing in front of a wooden pillar next to a bus stop, she checked the number of bus that came in, and went inside. It was the only from the school to her neighborhood.

—Student

A cheerful sound rings, and she saw the inside of a packed bus that has no space to push in.

The last bus that picked her up close the door and started slowly. The bus was full because of the students who climb up from school. She look around and caught a pole behind the drivers seat. With the expectation that it will be a little quiet after a few stops.

"Ohhhhh!"

Whenever the bus went around a sharp curve, the big students couldn't balance themselves and pressed them to the side very recklessly. It was not common to hold on to a single pillar. The bus turns left, the bodies of the standing passengers turn to the other side, and a tilted body presses her shoulder.

"Woaaakkkkk"

There's nothing easy in this world.

Her cellphone vibrated as she was holding on to the huge bodies with her teeth clenched. She took out her vibrating phone from her pocket and checked the sender.

[GRANDMA]

At the same time as she answered the phone, the bus stopped at the stop. The front and back door opened at the same time, the students who seemed to never get off, went out of the bus.

She turn around and scanned the inside of the bus that the students had swept away. The vacancy caught her eye and ran down quickly. It wasn't until she put her bag on her lap that she said hello to her phone.

"Yes, Grandma?"

—Why are you answering the phone so late?

"Oh... I'm sorry. Why did you call?"

—Did you finish your work?

Arin dropped out of school and started a part-time job. Her grandmother thought she was working at a franchise restaurant, but what she was doing was delivering from Chinese restaurants. The hourly wage was 9,000 won. There was no reason not to.

Taksu Banjeom. The owner's name was Kim Taksu. At first, Arin delivered by walking. She carry an iron bag and deliver it to a nearby delivery destination.

It was a satisfactory part-time job for her. The flaw was that the clothes smells of oil, but there was no place that paid that much hourly wage. However, it was slightly bothering her that her grandmother  noticed it immediately. Her grandmother live in the kitchen for a long time, so she can smell the food incredibly. After her part-time job, she went to see her grandmother and heard her say.

"What's this smells like Chinese cuisine?"

After her mother passed away, Arin live with her grandmother in an accommodation as a caretaker of Chayeon's house. She had to run into her grandmother every night after her part-time job, so she thought she would be either caught working at a Chinese restaurant or quit.

So she thought about it so many times. She planned on getting a cheap room for anything, a semi-basement, or a rooftop.

Then one day, while talking with her co-worker, who delivers using motorcycles, while eating ice cream in front of the store, they found out that the hourly wage was different.

1,000 won. The hourly wage for motorcycle delivery is 1,000 won more. There is also a saying that there is a lot of work, but 1,000 won was too big for her. Arin immediately obtained a motorcycle license. The boss gladly changed the location of delivery from walking to motorcycle delivery.

Rocket Fire. That was her nickname at that time. It was not bullet delivery, but rocket delivery. She just flew around. She wanted to deliver at least one more.

Whenever she saw the balance accumulated in her bank account, she was pleased. So Arin became independent despite her grandmother's opposition.

Her grandmother thought she was commuting from her appartment to the franchise restaurant.

"Yes. I'm on my way home."

-How about your dinner?

"I'm going to eat it at home.What about you grandma?"

-I ate before sunset. Stop by before you go home. I packed side dishes.

"Side dishes? I still have what you gave me last time."

-I stir-fried fish cake that you like. I made enough, so stop by.

"......"

-Why are you not answering?

Arin's throat was blocked for no reason. Even when she lived with her mother, her grandmother often took out the food from  Hong Cha Yeon's house and gave it to us. Even though it was a food that was told to be thrown away, she always picked them carefully to see if they were okay.

She was thankful to her grandmother that she and her mother, who boiled water and drank the water, were able to eat beef seaweed soup, open ribs, and grill dried yellow corvina.

At first, it was just good, but after knowing how the food came out, she felt sad.

How does  grandmother feel when she bring out food that the family members don't eat?

"...Yes. I'll change and drop by."

-Call me when you're here. 

"Yes, grandma."

She hung up the phone and look at the flickering screen of the call time. The tip of her nose wrinkled and tears welled up. Tears are dripping down like flickering liquid crystal. Crying came to her like a wave.

She pouted her lips and frowned, but in the end, her tears burst.

"Hing~" 

She bowed her head and rubbed her face busily. But the sound of fish cake, fish cake, fish cake, fish cake, and fish cake kept ringing in her ears.

The fish cake that her grandmother made to put on the table of Hong family with her wrinkled hands.

"··Busan, fish cake, Heuri, let's buy it."

The sobbing sound leaked out from and her shoulders were shaking. She wiped her tears with her sleeves and sniffled. Arin opened the  zipper of her bag on her knee to find a portable tissue but there's only pencil case and notes.

*sniff* *sniff* While zipping up her bag, something flies into the empty seat next to her.

Tears that had been hanging on the tip of her eyelashes ran down her cheeks. She raised her head, feeling the direction of the tears falling as she look up. On the other side of the chair, a boy in the same school uniform was looking at her with a frown on his face, as if he had seen something inappropriate.

"... Choi Soobin?"

"Hey, I really don't want to hear your sniffing."

"Huh?"

"I don't want to hear your howling and that snorting."

"Oh, sorry"

"If you're sorry, stop eating and relax. If you've eaten that much, you won't be able to eat dinner because you're full."

What does crying have to do with dinner?

".... Thanks" Arin held the portable tissue next to her and pull out the tissue paper tightly. She blew her nose with the thick overlapping tissue paper.

Choi Soobin's brows frown as he look at Arin. 

While Arin was holding a tissue with both hands and covering her nose, Soobin raised his hand and waved towards her. Thinking that he was telling Arin not to look at him and  finish what she was doing, she turned her head and blew her nose with a loud roar.

Arin feels like she can breathe  when her nose which has been uncomfortably clogged, was emptied. She also felt that her sad heart also subsided.

"Here" 

She handed over the portable tissue toward Soobin. Both of them were sitting close to the window, so reaching out their hands didn't mean the distance they could reach.

Choi Soobin, who was looking out the window, turn his head and saw the portable tissue in her hand.

"It's okay. You can have it."

"There's still a lot left."

"I don't need it."

Well, if that's what you want. 

Arin open the zipper of her bag and put in the portable tissue. She pulled up the zipper and move her gaze. A side profile was seen looking out the window.

The bus that reached the stop, stopped slowly and slowed down. Choi Soobin, who pack his bag, stood in front of the back door as he got up from his seat.

Before the door opened, Soobin turn his head and saw Arin sitting far away.

"See you tomorrow, transfer student."

"Oh? Oh, okay."

"Don't cry."

The back door was push aside and opened, and Choi Soobin, who had a bag strap on his shoulder, stepped down the stairs of the bus.

Arin spaced out and turned her eyes out of the window. She saw Soobin's back walking down the street with his long legs. Soobin disappeared from her view as he turned to a corner.

The bus, which closed both the front and back doors, slowly left the stop. She looked outside the window and leaned her head against the window. There was a bunch of tissue on Arin's hand like a baseball.

I thought it was a school full of gangsters, but maybe Choi Soobin is a bit kind. Arin thought to herself as she put the tissue in her pocket.

NEXT DAY

"Busan Fried Fish Cakeeeee Sameokji kuuuuuunggg" 

Choi Soobin, I cancel what I said yesterday  that you may be a bit kind.

"I can't believe you imitate her with your nose like this."

Arin look around the school to see if there was a toilet to use to avoid the students. As a result, the fourth floor without a class was the most quiet, and it seemed good spot to her to go to the bathroom to avoid encountering guys.

She was on her way back to the classroom after searching for the bathroom. She found Soobin chatting with his friends on one side of the hallway. That dinosaur story certainly seemed to be her story.

Choi Soobin, who was smiling with his hand on the shoulder of the guy with black hoodie, said with a very worried face.

"Oh, but it's not something to laugh about.I guess he's having a hard time because he transferred."

"Crazy, you're the one who laughed the most".

Soobin shook his head with a smile.

"No, I laughed because I remembered him blowing his nose hard."

After saying that, Soobin giggles and laughs again to show that it's too funny.

What's wrong with him? Is he double-faced?

"Something sad happened, punk. Why are you making fun of other people's sadness?"

The guy with the black hoodie stabbed Soobin's stomach, he twisted and took a step back.

"Don't . He might be worried of something."

"Kuuuunngg~ You are the one making fun of him!" 

"Haha. That's what you was really saying. Everyone on the bus looked at him like you don't know? He looks really weird."

"You're making fun of him. This is rather rude."

He made eye contact with another student and pointed at him, Soobin turn his head to the side and laugh.

"Rude? I gave him tissue to wipe his tears and nose."

The three continued talking about Arin's encounter, whether they were not interested on other students in the hallway or whether they could not see Arin because she was shorter than them. She just stayed standing on one side of the hallway and they don't know she was listening.

To get to the classroom, she had to pass by them, but she thought that she couldn't easily walk because she was afraid that she would catch their attention if she caught his gaze while passing by. Arin just clench her fists and stare at floor. 

Perhaps if she has laser that would  gone out of her eye, those three necks would have been drawn out.

Her eyes became thinner by themselves

Hey, how can you do that with a person right in front of you?

She made eye contact with one of them while thinking about whether to turn around to the other side, lower her head tightly, or not. The guy with black hoodie raises his chin and pointed at Arin.

"Oh?!" 

Suddenly, the eyes of the two people next to him turn to her direction. 

Soobin, who stood crook with his hand in his pocket, tilted his neck, saying, "Ah...." He didn't know that Hong Chayeon was at the hallway.

Looking at Arin with an incongruous face, she scanned their name plate. Soobin's name tag has Choi Soobin's name, Choi Yeonjun's name on the black hoodied guy name tag, and Lee Felix name on the other name tag.

"You said he cried while looking for fish cakes in Busan? He doesn't even seem to have a runny nose." 

"Yah..." 

Choi Soobin hit Yeonjun's feet and give him a glare. It's no different than saying something behind her back, but it seems that Yeonjun doesn't have that kind of insight.

Not wanting to be caught in the middle, Felix quietly walked down the hallway and entered the classroom. Only Yeonjun saw Soobin hitting his feet with a face that didn't understand what it means. As soon as Soobin and Arin's eyes meet, the starting bell rings.

"Oh, the bell rang. Soobinah, see you later."

Yeonjun, waving at Soobin, entered the classroom in front of him. Naturally, the crowd went to the hallway into their classroom and Soobin and Arin was left there standing.

Arin's expression became stiff for no reason. She didn't even get cursed at, but she felt bad.

She took a steps forward and had stop. Soobin trudged along, she hit Soobin's forearm. Just like she bumped into it while passing by. But it was a well-meaning clash.

When she looked up, Arin saw his eyes looking down at her. Soobin raised his eyebrows and looked at her. She seemed embarrassed by forcibly hitting him as she passed by.

Why are you talking about me like that?

Arin was about to ask, but she remember Soobin handing over a tissue to her on the bus.

"See you tomorrow, transfer student. Don't cry."

She felt bad for a moment that poke shoulder, but the emotions of yesterday that suddenly came to her mind have softened her feelings.

Oh, how nice it would be if it came to mind a little faster.

"Sorry. The hallway is narrow..."

Soobin look around at the quiet hallway. No matter how much he looks at it, it isn't narrow enough to bump his shoulder. Then, he approaches Arin's head.

"It's okay" 

Soobin shook off her arms and passed by her.