cowardice.

jealousy is a disease.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jang Wonyoung hasn't had the best luck when it comes to romance. In school, she had a multitude of crushes. Though, she has never really had the courage to confess her feelings to them. This is especially the case when it comes to her longtime best friend, Ahn Yujin. 

The two of them have been best friends since middle school. Even though Yujin is a year older than Wonyoung, they have been inseperable ever since they met. Around senior year of high school, Wonyoung's feelings for Yujin grew into romantic ones. It has been years now since she first started crushing on her, and yet she still has not had the courage to confess.

Until now.

Wonyoung throws on her work uniform, ready for a crazy day ahead. She ties her brown apron on and puts her long, dark hair back into a ponytail.

For about a year now, the Wonyoung and Yujin have been working together at a small café inside the city. They applied together on a whim and both of them ended up getting hired. It has been great for Wonyoung to get to see Yujin almost every day. Now they get an excuse to spend more time together, even though that time is mostly spent making coffees and dealing with cranky customers. 

Since the two of them have been quite busy, they haven't hung out much outside of work. This is especially since Yujin has a second job on top of her job at the café. So, their friendship has grown a bit distant the past few months. They do still try to catch up with each other while at work, but even then they are busy working instead of chatting. Instead of being with Yujin, Wonyoung has been spending her free time with her other friends, Rei and Jiwon, who were born the same year as her. Rei and Jiwon are a couple themselves. But when Wonyoung is with them, she never feels like she's third-wheeling. They always try their best to make sure she is included, which Wonyoung is very grateful for.

Wonyoung leaves her apartment, locking her door behind her. The cold air hits her, which makes her realize that they will be making a lot of hot drinks today. It is the beginning of winter, though today is the first really cold day, so she is expecting that a lot of people will be trying to keep themselves warm.

When Wonyoung arrives at work, she immediately goes to clock in. As she is doing so, she is immediately greeted by a smiling Yujin.

"Good morning, Wonyoung!" The older girl smiles as she greets her. "You ready to get to work? We're probably going to get a rush of customers in a few minutes," she mentions, realizing it is a few minutes before 7 am. That is the time when they usually get the most customers coming in, since a lot of them like to drop by before heading off to work.

"I'm ready as ever!" Wonyoung responds with a cheerful attitude, smiling right back at Yujin. Something Wonyoung has always loved about Yujin is her smile. It is so radiant and contagious. Whenever she sees Yujin smiling, she can't help but smile too. 

"Great! Let's get going then!" Yujin chirps happily in response before immediately walking off to take care of an order. Wonyoung is then greeted by their boss, who walks right up to her.

"Hello Wonyoung. You mind starting off today by taking some orders?" Her boss asks of her. Wonyoung nods in response.

"Yes, of course!" Wonyoung smiles happily.

"Good, keep that energy!" Her boss responds and smiles back before almost immediately hurrying off. 

The morning felt like it was going by so slow. The café grew crowded and Wonyoung had to deal with many rude customers. The fact that she was waiting until the end of her shift to confess to Yujin made it feel like it was going by even slower. Her positive energy quickly faded as she grew exhausted and frustrated from dealing with unpleasant customers. She felt like she did not even have a moment to breathe.

But, once it was finally over, Wonyoung felt a sense of relief. The café is a strictly morning café, closing at noon every day. Wonyoung likes this a lot, since it means that she can have the rest of the day completely to herself. She could have a second job on top of this one just like Yujin does, but she also values being able to have time to hang out with friends or time to herself too.

Wonyoung heads over towards the door and locks it, flipping the open-closed sign so the closed side is facing out the glass door. She then turns her head towards Yujin, who has begun sweeping the floor. She walks over to her, fiddling with her fingers nervously.

Wonyoung feels so nervous. She feels like she wants to back out of it now. No, she can't chicken out again. That has happened too many times. Now, she just has to have courage and say it. She has been waiting years for this moment, she cannot back out now! She gulps nervously, stepping closer to the older girl. Her heart feels like it is about to pound out of her chest. She feels like she is going to throw up. But, she lets out a small sigh, and decides to speak up.

"Hey Yujin," she says to start off to catch her attention. Yujin then lifts her head, turning to look over at Wonyoung.

"Hey Wonyoung. What's up?" Yujin asks, pausing her sweeping as she straightens out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter