Awrah (2)

! . . . A day with Kim JaeJoong . . . !

   "No," Khadijah burst out laughing. JaeJoong turned to her, perplexed. "Men do have aurah too. Theirs is from their navel to slightly below their knees. Can you imagine walking around town totally covered up but only exposing the area from your navel to your knees, JaeJoong? Don't you feel shy?" she continued. JaeJoong chuckled then slowly nodded.

    "Many people follow Allah's orders without question, which is good because we believe He is the All-Knowing and all knowledge belongs to Him. But it's in the nature of humans to feel curious. In this case, curious about why He is asking us to cover our aurah," I uttered. We walked slowly, passing by the shops. "Countless people wonder about the covering of aurah and its significance. It covers the areas which are most prone to skin cancer. Also, there will be no need for physical competition since all of the important areas are covered. And most popular, the head garment. For many, we wear the hijab. The hijab shelters the head from direct heat. Yes, it is hot to wear the hijab in summer but compared to those whom the sun shine directly onto their heads, which is hotter?"

    "Similar to being appointed as a student council, you are given a badge, or a tie, or a blazer etc. That piece of clothing reminds you who people see you as and who you have to be. This naturally disciplines your behaviour and as time passes by, it implants a certain etiquette in your personality. Furthermore, especially for us girls who are usually insecure about our appearances due to how much this world stresses on it, the hijab forces society to open their eyes to not only what is outside but what lies behind too; the heart over the face. Allah reminds us that it is irrelevant to over-worry about how we look like outside, and what is important is the soul."

 عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَا يَنْظُرُ إِلَى صُوَرِكُمْ وَأَمْوَالِكُمْ وَلَكِنْ يَنْظُرُ إِلَى قُلُوبِكُمْ وَأَعْمَالِكُمْ

Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Verily, Allah does not look at your appearance or wealth, but rather He looks at your hearts and actions.” Source: Sahih Muslim 2564

{هَٰٓأَنتُمْ أُولَاءِ تُحِبُّونَهُمْ وَلَا يُحِبُّونَكُمْ وَتُؤْمِنُونَ بِالْكِتَابِ كُلِّهِ وَإِذَا لَقُوكُمْ قَالُوا آمَنَّا وَإِذَا خَلَوْا عَضُّوا عَلَيْكُمُ الْأَنَامِلَ مِنَ الْغَيْظِ ۚ قُلْ مُوتُوا بِغَيْظِكُمْ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ بِذَاتِ الصُّدُور {3:119

 Here you are loving them but they are not loving you, while you believe in the Scripture - all of it. And when they meet you, they say, "We believe." But when they are alone, they bite their fingertips at you in rage. Say, "Die in your rage. Indeed, Allah is Knowing of that within the chests." {3:119}