# 7

Eyes on Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It’s not a typical Wednesday. But it’s not too different. Than every other... typical day.

Hyukjae's brought Eunji to the east foyer. He put some of her toys in a wagon. She’d waddled alongside him. All through the castle. To here.

It's a trick. Again. The little princess thought... they were heading to the Blue Fountain. That's what wawa means.

"I think it's like, wow, and water, so wawa," Hyukjae had explained to Donghae.

Hyukjae wanted to bring her near the library. There's a long massive hallway. To their right. It has portraits of the king and queen.

Eunji's smarter than they'd thought, however. She realized. The fountain was nowhere close. That's why she dropped to the floor. In the middle of the foyer. Decided to take out all her toys. The stuffed animals. Soft blocks. Started to play with them here.

Or she just got tired of walking. Donghae doesn't know. The baby confuses him.

Why's it not a typical Wednesday? Because... Hyukjae’s actually supposed to be with Kim Soonok. Right now. But Hyukjae said he's not going. For some reason.

Donghae’s not sure if Soonok's expecting him. If Hyukjae's informed her. Donghae keeps trying to listen. For that cane. But she’d send someone else. To get Hyukjae. Right?

He can’t imagine Soonok… going around the castle to fetch Hyukjae. They’re quite far, too. From that part of the castle.

Donghae looks down the steps. They head out to an entrance. To another courtyard. He hears security pacing. Outside. Down both hallways. On their right. Left. But none of them have said anything. Some just raised an eyebrow. Donghae would've done the same. 

Prince Hyukjae’s sprawled on the gleaming floors. With the baby princess. There’s colourful toys all around them. Eunji loves to throw now. She's very good at it. She’ll throw almost anything Hyukjae gives her. Then she'll toddle after it. Squeal and babble. Bring it back or toss it further.

Donghae hears footsteps in the library. Its heavy door is opened. It’s Kyuhyun. Donghae can tell from the sound of his walk. The soft tap of fingers. On hard covers. He's holding books in his arms.

Kyuhyun’s an academic scholar. He mostly works in the library. The queen asked him to be a special advisor to her. He apparently worked with her for a year. Now he gives Hyukjae lessons. Instructs and guides him through her work. Or whatever the monarch and his court need.

Donghae turns slightly to the hallway. Kyuhyun's approaching. The man raises his eyebrows too. Stops. His eyes wander around the foyer. Pause on Hyukjae. Princess Eunji. The mess around them.

“Prince Hyukjae…” Kyuhyun says. Frowns.

Hyukjae sits straight. Grins. “Hey! What’s up?”

“I… don’t believe you are supposed to see me today…”

“Oh, no,” Hyukjae says. He shifts his body around. Pulls his niece into his lap. “I’m not here to see you. I was going to show Eunji those pictures!" He uses Eunji’s hand to point.

Kyuhyun looks behind himself. Blinks. Turns back.

“But Eunji got tired because I wouldn’t put her on my shoulders so she decided this is where she wants to play.” Hyukjae looks down at the girl. “Right, baby?”

“Wawa?”

“Ooh, wawa. Yes. Tomorrow, okay? Wawa before your bath, so then no one will get mad at me. Oh, Eunji, princess, do you remember KyuKyu?” He lifts her fist at Kyuhyun. “That’s Kyuuu.”

Eunji blinks at Kyuhyun. Gets off her uncle’s lap. Crawls back to her soft blocks. Her stuffed rabbit.

“Sorry, Kyu, she has more important matters to attend to.” Hyukjae crawls after Eunji. Around her. Sits facing her. “Princess, what about the house we were building?”

Kyuhyun rolls his eyes at Donghae. Resumes walking. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Prince Hyukjae.”

“Yeah, bye Kyukyu! Eunji say bye!”

Eunji’s picked up her rabbit. She totters to the wagon. Throws the rabbit in there. She pulls out a book. Drops it into Hyukjae’s lap.

“Oh, you want me to read to you?”

Eunji has toddled away again. She picks up a yellow block.

“Oh, yes, bring it here, Eunji.”

The girl brings it to Hyukjae. Then walks away once more.

“Are you cleaning up the mess you made, Eunji? What a good girl--”

Eunji's picked up another block. She tosses it.

"Oh!"

It bounces. Hits the stack of blocks. That Hyukjae had made with her. The soft blocks topple around. Bounce everywhere. It pleases the baby. She giggles. Her face scrunches up.

"Eunji, that took us half an hour!" Hyukjae says. Laughs with her. "Oh, princess, look --  there’s a blue one right there!”

Eunji blinks around. Sees it. Hurries towards it. “Bew!”

“Don’t throw it, Eunji, just give it to--”

She runs back to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter