# 2

Eyes on Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The sun will set in an hour. But Hyukjae is still out with Eunji. Yoona has come asking for her twice.

They're in the castle gardens. Hyukjae's walked with Eunji. Held both of her hands as he led her. He's rolled around the grass with her. He ran with Eunji on his shoulders.

Finally... Donghae can see. The uncle and niece are getting tired.

"Oh, you're growing, Eunji," Hyukjae pants. Sets her down on the grass. Drops beside her. "I'm getting older... I need to... I need to be stronger..."

Eunji crawls up on his chest. She leans into Hyukjae's face.

"Aplaplap!"

Her talk is gibberish. To Donghae. Hyukjae seems to understand her.

"Ah, I can't... I'm tired now, baby... I'll... I'll do it tomorrow..." Hyukjae's eyes find Donghae. He smiles. "Or you can ask Donghae?"

Eunji turns her head. Sees him. Giggles. Suddenly drops herself on Hyukjae's chest.

"Ow!" Hyukjae laughs. Holds her tightly. "Okay, let's just... catch our breath first..."

Donghae does another sweep around them. There are guards near the entrances. He can hear the shuffle of their feet. Their restlessness. There's a shift change soon. They're getting impatient. To be relieved of their duty for the day. 

"Oh, Eunji princess..." Hyukjae murmurs. He her hair. "You're tired too, aren't you?"

Donghae steps close.

"Your highness..." He bends to pick up a butterfly hair clip. It's fallen off Eunji's head. "We need to get inside."

"Yeah... I think you're right..." Hyukjae says. He smiles up at Donghae. His cheeks are flushed from running around. "I have to put Eunji to bed -- oh! Is that her pretty clip?"

Hyukjae sits up carefully. Reaches for the clip. He chuckles at the grass in Eunji's hair. Brushes it out. He parts her bangs. Clips them to the side.

"Oh, you are sooo pretty!" Hyukjae coos. Touches her pink cheeks. They're almost identical to his. Hyukjae kisses her. Chuckles. "Okay, baby, up we goooo..."

He lifts her high as he gets up. Eunji shrieks happily. But Hyukjae breathes out as he brings her down. Holds her to his chest.

"Oh, I'm really tired..."

He laughs prettily at Donghae.

Donghae would offer to take Eunji. But he cannot. He smiles at Hyukjae. Places a hand on his back. Leads him back towards the castle.

Hyukjae's covered in grass too. Leaves. His hair's messy in the back. It's tangled with blades of grass. Donghae itches to stop him. Comb his fingers through his strands.

Donghae nods to the guards. Passes inside.

"Eunji, baby, don't sleep yet," Hyukjae murmurs to her. "You need a bath..."

Donghae's glad to see Yoona. She's heading down the hall. Probably to check on Eunji again.

"Oh, your highness, there you are..."

She hurries to Hyukjae. Donghae slows down. So Yoona can take Eunji from Hyukjae. She holds her hands out. But Hyukjae brings Eunji closer to himself.

"It's okay, I got her. I promised to read to her today, Yoona..."

Donghae sighs internally. Nods for Yoona to follow them instead. He sees her hiding a chuckle. Probably at the mess on Hyukjae's clothes. Donghae shakes his head slightly.

Hyukjae had a tiring day yesterday. And the day before. Usually, events with the King are long. Run late into the night. Hyukjae's also required to do training. It's another of Siwon's special orders.

Hyukjae's training... is one of the few times... Donghae's not required to be right beside him. So he's not certain what the training is. He usually just guards the room. Listens as closely as he can. When it ends... Hyukjae's a bit slumped. His energy seems drained.

He would be very tired today.

"Oh, Eunji... I'm so sorryy..."

Donghae stands at the door. Yoona and Hyukjae are bathing Eunji. As quickly as possible. Eunji needs support. Hyukjae's holding her up. The baby's head's nodding.

Hyukjae fin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter