# 6

Eyes on Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Donghae, please get in the shade."

He smiles. Gives Hyukjae a shake of the head.

"Eunji, princess, tell Donghae to get in the shade. You're real royalty. Maybe he'd listen to you."

The girl is tired from chasing bubbles. It's amusing to Donghae. She's laying on top Hyukjae. A binky's in . The swing chair moves back and forth. The table has Eunji's water. A bubble machine. Eunji's eyes stay on the bubble machine. It's run out of the bubble solution. But she's watching it. Maybe expecting it to spit another one out.

"Eunji? Baby princess, are you sleeping?"

"She's awake," Donghae says. "Your highness."

Hyukjae smooths her hair. Tries to sit up. Look at her. But then gives up. Lays down again. Lets one leg stick out from the chair. He sighs. Stares up at the massive tree they're under.

"Donghae, just get in the shade, oh my god."

He takes a step to the side. Gets under some shade. It's not hot. There's a nice breeze. Hyukjae's just exhausted. So he's assuming Donghae must be too. But Donghae didn't spend the morning with Soonok. Or the afternoon chasing an excited screaming toddler.

Hyukjae had asked for a bubble machine. Yoona surprised him with it today. So the uncle and niece went crazy.

"I wonder if it came with more bubble juice..."

"The bubble machine, sir?"

"Yeah..."

"It did," Donghae says. "Yoona placed it in the top cabinet in Eunji's room. It's an orange bottle."

"Oh my god, do you have some kind of super vision too?"

Donghae chuckles. "Your highness, I simply saw her. You were there too."

"Oh. What was I doing?"

"Screaming about the bubbles, your highness."

"I was not screaming."

"My eardrums beg to differ, your highness."

Hyukjae lifts his head. A little. Glares at him.

"I'll fire you, brat."

"I work for his majesty. Your highness."

Hyukjae thins his lips. Scowls.

"You wait till I tell him... some day..."

Donghae smiles. Stays quiet. Hyukjae's lucky if he manages a few words. Of greeting.

"How... is he today?" Hyukjae says.

Donghae stares out towards the castle. The staff joke at times. Lightly. A bit fondly. About the king being a heavy sleeper. Maybe that is true. Or was true. Donghae wasn't here. Before the queen's death. But now... it might be worse... and not a laughing matter...

Based on what Donghae hears some early mornings...

Siwon's just... passed out. Other times, very hungover. He needs support to properly awaken. Come to his senses. Get on his feet.

Once he does... he's apparently fine. For the matters of the kingdom. He can function.

"Not bad, your highness," Donghae says.

Hyukjae absently Eunji's head. His eyes remain on the foliage above him.

"If he thought about how happy Eunji would be to see him... how sweet and adorable she is... and he tried to see her often... maybe he'd feel better..."

His lips are pouting. He's trying not to sound serious. Because no one wants to. The king's... sad. They've known that. But saying he's unwell? Sick? That's different. That will cause panic. Widespread concern. Maybe even bring another attack. If... some of the other suspicions are correct. That they'd wanted to kill the king. But missed.

If the king's correct... then this man here is in danger.

Hyukjae's brought both arms around Eunji. He can never mask how upset he gets. Over his niece. Donghae wonders. If he truly will manage to speak his mind. One day. Some day.

"Oh, did you see that news footage?" Hyukjae's already changed his tone. He's lifted his head a bit again.

Donghae decides to move closer. Bring himself fully under the shade now. He stands a few feet from the swinging chair. Hyukjae doesn't have to strain his neck. To see him. 

Wait... is that why he wanted him? In the shade?

"I'm sorry," Donghae says. "What did I see, your highness?"

"The ceremony."

"I was there with you, your highness."

"Noo, I mean on the news. They showed parts of the ceremony."

"Sir, I was there when you saw that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter