Mix Signals

Wifey House

Hi guys!! Here's the next chapter! Things are starting to pick up so here's some Jungze crumbs for you. ENJOY!

 


As welcoming as the nightlife was, the pair of outlanders moved away from it into a community park. Leejung and Noze have relaxed in each other's presence, with each exchanging words with excitement and openness. Leejung throws her head back in laughter as Noze playfully shoves the cheeky woman away from her.

“It’s not funny!”

“Maybe not to you~” the younger snickers and dodges another incoming shove from her embarrassed company.

“You got a lot of nerve Leejung to be teasing me!”

The two bicker back and forth, finally coming across a bridge and deciding to slow their pace to view the scenery. Their laughter grows into a comfortable silence, taking in the moment to just appreciate the time they have alone. Leejung leans onto the railing of the bridge and gives a look of uncertainty towards Noze. The latter sees this and snorts, “what? You look constipated”.

“Shut up! I’m not!”, Leejung smacks Noze’s arm and rolls her eyes. “I’m actually kinda curious about something, but I’m thinking if it’s okay to ask”.

Noze grins and nudges her elbow at her, “well go on, you have me curious”.

The encouragement eases up the doubt and has Leejung  shoot her question, “It’s pretty obvious because of our fan base, but how do you feel about gay people?”

Leejung winces on the inside as she watches Noze look back at her in surprise. The good vibes that the two had earlier have noticeably dissipated after Leejung asked, and she was trying not to regret it. Noze was quiet as she was looking up towards the sky, contemplating her answer.

“I don’t mind them, I have friends that are part of the LGBTQ community” she shows a warm smile, “I get a lot of questions from fans about what I would do in their situation in terms of their love life”. The dainty woman gets lost in thought and continues, “I answer them honestly, I use the terms, my lover, to include everyone”. Noze makes eye contact with Leejung and maybe it was the light from the lamps they were next to or maybe even the stars in the night sky, but Leejung swears she could see Noze’s eyes twinkle for just a second. “Since you’re asking, what about you?”

Coming back from her moment, Leejung feels a rush of adrenaline with the thought that she might actually have a chance. “I’d like to think that I’m pretty open, for friends and myself…”. If this was Noze being cautious then Leejung decided that she’ll throw an invitation. 

“What does that mean?”

The question makes Leejung giggle and takes a step closer to Noze, “let’s just say my heart likes”, she grins, “what my heart likes~”.

Noze gets shy from the straightforward answer and playfully hides her face with her hands, “stop flirting, Aiki unnie isn’t even here”.

“What if I want to regardless?” Both women looked at each other feeling butterflies in their stomachs. “Noze-”

A blare sounds from an announcement speaker and cuts into the conversation, “REMINDER. THE YEARLY ESPOUSAL SIMULCAST PROJECT WILL START IN 48 HOURS. TO PARTICIPATE AND BE MATCHED WITH A PARTNER, PLEASE BEGIN YOUR APPLICATION IMMEDIATELY AND SUBMIT IT TO AN AFFILIATED OFFICE NEAR YOU”

Noze’s eyes stare at the speaker as she listens to the announcement “It’s already happening”

Leejung closes and looks in the same direction, “yeah, we need to do it soon, or else we can’t go home”. She steps away from Noze and ushers the latter to follow, “let's go, we should ask Aunt Yena and Diane about what to do''.

The walk back was much quieter, their heads filled with thoughts about the earlier reminder. Whatever feelings were showing from the moment they had were long gone and hidden again. Noze bites her lip as she watches Leejung’s back, her unwavering desire to know what Leejung was trying to say before they were interrupted.

They arrive back home and greet the older couple as they settle into the living room for a discussion. Noze sits next to Aunt Yena and explains what happened earlier and informs that they need to be walked through the procedure. “I see” the older woman rubs her chin, “all you truly need is a backstory that you can remember. Do note that, to everyone else, this is an event that helps them find someone to form a union with. You will need to interact with the other participants as well as convince the audience that you should be paired with each other. As outlanders, you will have to act as you are not associated with each other but form a meaningful connection in order to be coupled and teleport home.”

The duo listens intently and make mental notes, “Now, you have full control on how your backstories should go but because you do need to seem realistic to everyone else, Diane and I have already formed a fake occupational profile for you”.

The dancers look at each other, they speak to each other like telepathy and Noze speaks up, “Aunt Yena? What did you have us put down as?”

“For you dear, I have you as a physical therapist. As for Leejung, I have you as a high school teacher. From hearing your backgrounds and getting to know you, I think these occupations will work for your profile”.

Leejung scoots up her seat, “a high school teacher? What if I can’t convince others that I am one?”

“I’m sorry dear, but I will ask that you try your best to fake being one. We have already counterfeited your credentials, all you have to do is portray yourself as a teacher whenever the time calls for it”.

Noze gives an apologetic smile towards her partner in crime and shifts her focus back to Aunt Yena, “what else do we have to do?”.

“As you heard from the announcement, you must submit an application to participate in the espousal project, all you need to do is go to one of the offices in town and ask for an application and fill it out. After that, you will wait for the office worker to mark you as approved and when the day comes that you will leave for the simulcast, you're on your own accord. The best that I can tell you girls is that you need to appeal to the audience”.

Diane comes next to her wife, “Yena is right, this event is broadcast to the public. You will need to be interesting to both your matches as well as the viewers. The audience can sway a vote as easily as saying the alphabet”. 

Leejung’s shoulders drop, “you’re kidding”.


Diane pets the baby tiger’s head in sympathy, “sorry kid, I wish I was”. She takes a seat next to her, “Yena mentioned to you that I was an outlander as well. Let me tell you straight, I did arrive here with someone else. My goal was to go home through the partner project. I ended up being matched with a person here instead, that being your Aunt Yena.” She gives a warm smile to her wife and continues, “ I missed my chance on going back home, but for me, I don’t regret it. I don’t know your feelings but whatever you decide, make it clear with each other when you're at the event house”.

The duo seems at a loss in front of the older couple and they can’t help but feel sorry for them. Diane claps her hands together and clears , “tomorrow I will take you girls there, you don’t have to worry about it alone”.

“Really?” Noze’s eyes shine in relief.

The charismatic woman gives a thumbs up and smirks, “you show them who’s a casanova. I’m rooting for you girls to match at the end”.

Hearing the cheer moved Leejung and Noze, having them reply in heartfelt unison,  “Yes ma’am!”  

With a set plan, the girls slept easy and morning came on to them in no time.

“Jung-ah? Did you get the laundry?”

“Yeah! Give me a minute!”

Morning chores take the leader’s time before they head into town, as chaotic as their lives are now, the two don't forget to pay their respects and do their part to help out the older women with their chores. A sleepy Noze can be seen sweeping up the front porch as she sees their mailwoman reach their house. 

“Goodmorning~”

Noze greets her with a smile and accepts the mail graciously, “thank you”. She turns around back to the house and casually shuffles through the letters. “Oh?”, her hands hold an advertisement for the partner program. She scans down the flier and scrunches her brows together. 

“What’s that?”, Leejung asks as she comes over with a fresh basket of laundry, placing it on a bench, and walks over to Noze.

“It’s the flier for the partner project that Aunt Yena’s talked to us about”

“Let me see?”

The ebony-haired woman hands over the paper, “Apparently the broadcast show for the project is called Wifey House”. The women take a seat next to the laundry basket and contemplate their situation. “Looks like it’s pretty popular as a show”

Leejung scratches her head, “Aunt Yena and Diane did say it was a yearly thing”. They read over the piece of paper “do you see the address for the office?”.

“Yeah, right here, we can head straight there once Diane come back”

A car pulls up at the side of the road with Diane exiting it. She looks over to the house ready but sees the troubled ladies, “why do you girls look like someone took your lunch money?”. The younger women finally notice her and get up to meet her.

“We got an advert!”

Leejung hands over the flier and Diane hums, “Mhh, looks like this is becoming pretty real for you girls”. Diane nods her head to the car, “I’m ready whenever you are”.

Noze and Leejung look at her confused so Noze speaks up “right now? We don't need anything?”

The older woman smirks, “this isn’t the first time I snuck in outlanders into the program, got your stuff sorted already”. The pair think for a moment and agree that they might as well do it while there is still time. One by one they get in the car and drive off to the town office. The sky was vivid blue and the breeze felt refreshing as the car zoomed through the neighborhood. The town center was uphill compared to the residential areas, giving it an overview of not only the colorful houses but the coastline. The group arrives at the town center with no time to waste. “You girls go on ahead, here's your document information. Just look for the address on the flier and ask for a registration paper for the partner project”. Diane drives off to park and to take care of other things first, allowing the girls to get a head start with their errand. 

Leejung watches the car drive away and turns her attention to Noze, “What do you think we should do first Unnie?”

They walk into the square and look at the advert, “well… Diane did say we had to think of a backstory, and if there is anything in the registration that deals with a backstory, we should think of it right now”

The women see an empty table in front of a cafe and sit to discuss. “Things that Aunt Yena told us to be clear about; we can’t be associated with each other and, we can’t reveal too much about us that doesn't match our fake profile. Leejung thinks for a moment and glances at the document paper, “they really did think of everything”.

Noze raises her brows and takes her own paper and scans through it just like Leejung and sees the text ‘occupation’, “Guess I really am a physical therapist, god I hope no one asks me about injuries…”

Leejung slides over her document, “I can teach but how am I supposed to fake being a high school teacher?”

The two dancers look at each other bewildered and feel a headache coming on, “Okay, minor details aside, so as long as we play the part, it sounds like we can pull it off… right?”

“Right.”

“Why…”

“I don’t know…”

With their brains itchy from confusion, they mull over all the other things that might hassle them but for the most part, it’s general citizen information. Noze looks over at her phone and reads 1:15 pm, “we should eat lunch Jung-ah, stay here”. The cat-eyed woman leaves the table and heads inside the cafe. She scans the menu and thinks if a sandwich would be better or a salad.

“Hello! Are you ready?”

Noze’s eyes are guided to the barista but shake her head, “oh no, not yet! Thank you”. The worker gives a big smile and goes on to complete other orders. Noze hears the sound of tapping on the glass and turns around to see Leejung waving with a goofy grin. “Dork”, the WayB leader gets in line to order when she sees the same barista flag her down. Noze becomes confused as she sees customers in front of her but goes over in a hurried fashion after being ushered to come. “Yes?”

“Hi, I'll be taking your order?”

“Um, there was a customer in front of me if you want to take-“

“No worries, my coworker had them next”

“Oh, um okay”, the cat-eyed woman tries to shake off the awkward feeling and proceeds to place her order.

“Alright, I’ll be out with your order”

“It’s alright I can wait-”, the barista turns away without having Noze finish her sentence and sighs feeling extremely dumbfounded. The dancer exits the cafe and goes to sit back with Leejung who just saw the situation but couldn’t make out what was happening.

“You okay?”

Noze nods and puffs her cheeks, “I was just trying to say I’ll wait for the order but she kept on cutting me off”.

“What? That’s rude”

They get back into the conversation about sorting out their stories, growing more comfortable with talking with each other. Different subjects came up but whatever happened last night was never mentioned. After some time figuring out backstories, the worker that took Noze’s order arrives and eagerly places their food on the table. “Here you go, two sandwiches with a combo drink” looks directly at Noze, “anything else?”

“Oh, no thank you that’s all~”

Leejung scanned their order and remembered to ask, “can we get some napkins?”. She stares at the worker but she doesn’t seem to hear Leejung’s request. Her eyes were still on Noze, who grew uncomfortable with the unfolding situation.

“Can we get some napkins please?” Noze bites on the inside of her cheek in awkwardness. The employee snaps out from staring and bows apologetically. 

“Oh! Yes sorry, let me get some for you”

She dismisses herself in a hurry, leaving the two alone again. Leejung eyes the door and turns her attention back to Noze, “did you see that?”

“You mean her zoning out?”

“Yes her zoning out, it’s not like I have a voice of a mouse”

Noze smiles and pushes one of the drinks to Leejung, “at least we’re getting your napkins”.

“Bet, she’s only getting them because you asked”

“Aw don’t be like that Jung-ah”

“I know this world only has women, but my gay-dar still works you know”, Leejung huffs and takes a bite out of her sandwich. Seeing Leejung so worked up for nothing made Noze fond of her childish side. Now if only she can figure out how to interpret her actions. The barista comes back with the napkins and sets them on the table. 

“Anything else?”

Leejung glances at Noze and gives a sweet devilish smile, “is there anything else you need baby?”

Noze chokes on her drink as the worker whips her head to look at Leejung. She restrains her cough and manages to reply back to the troublemaker in front of her, “n-no, I’m fine…”

Satisfied with the reaction, a smug-looking Leejung turns to face the worker. She gives a fake smile and steps back, “enjoy your meal”.

Noze throws a napkin at Leejung, “what the hell was that”.

Leejung picks it up to wipe , “me chasing away your potential partners”.

“We’re not part of the program yet!”

“I think a thank you would have worked”

Noze puffs her cheeks, was this purely just to act out the part?