The Christmas Eve

Last Christmas

Christmas arrived faster than Sowon thought it would, she spent so much time on the factory case and days were flying since the party with her friends and that weird moment with Eunha.

 

Her work allowed her to avoid the short girl till now, but as it was now christmas eve, Sowon didn’t have any choices but to face the girl again.

 

Eunha told Sowon and her mother she would come over in the morning to help them cook for tonight and Sowon was kinda glad to have some help.

 

So early on the 24th morning, when she heard the door, Sowon swallowed hard and walked to the entrance.

 

“Hey.” she said shyly and Eunha smiled at her.

 

“Ready for Christmas?” she asked and Sowon shook her head.

 

“Not really, we have so much to prepare.” she said as she walked to the kitchen followed by Eunha who took off her jacket and grabbed an apron.

 

“Well first we should check the dishes we want to make and see if we have all the food, if not my dad can go buy what’s missing.” said Eunha who had a hard time tying the apron in her back.

 

“Come here.” said Sowon as she pulled Eunha closer to her and made her turn her back to her to help her tie the apron.

 

“Thanks…” said Eunha blushing. “So the food.” she said, Sowon took a step away and nodded.

 

“Right so I got some ideas about what we can make.”

 

“Me too.” said Eunha and they started discussing the dishes they would make, they easily agreed on the menu by choosing food they all loved a lot. They had all the ingredients so they started cooking immediately, some food needed to be cooked for quite some hours so it was better to start early.

 

They took a small break for lunch and Eunha made more soup for Sowon’s mother, they both went to eat in the bedroom with the older woman. Once they were done, both girls were surprised to see Sowon’s mother finishing her bowl.

 

In the afternoon, Sowon went to check on her mother and was even more surprised when her mother asked her to help her get in her wheelchair. The old woman wanted to spend some time with them even if she wasn’t in a good state to cook with them.

 

Sowon nodded and helped her mother, she brought the perfusion around as she pushed the wheelchair to the kitchen.

 

Eunha’s face brightened as she saw Sowon’s mother out of her bedroom. “Wow you look very good in this bright light.” said Eunha sincerely with a charming tone as she walked closer to the older woman who smiled.

 

“I feel a bit better. I guess the excitement for tonight is making me feel more energized than ever.” she said smiling and Eunha nodded. “Where’s your father?” she asked, looking around. “He should spend the afternoon and evening with us.”

 

Eunha smiled, “He’s at the mall, he wanted to find gifts for you.” she explained and Sowon frowned.

 

“He doesn’t have to, to be honest we didn’t prepare any gifts…” said Sowon feeling bad for not thinking about it sooner, she’s been so absorbed with her mother’s illness and her work on the factory case that she totally forgot.

 

Eunha smiled. “That’s okay we aren’t expecting anything in return, it’s just a way for us to thank you both for having us over tonight and also for your hard work on my dad’s case.” explained Eunha sweetly.

 

Sowon and Eunha continued to cook under Sowon’s mother's watch, the woman seemed to feel way better today, she looked less tired, more energized. She wasn’t sleepy like most days before, seeing her leave her bed and chatting with them all afternoon made Sowon very happy.

 

Later when Eunha’s dad arrived Sowon took her mother to her room and helped her get dressed a bit more fancy for the evening, it was a good occasion for the woman to dress well and take more care of her look. During that time Eunha used Sowon’s room and bathroom to get ready too, she was smelling food after spending all day cooking. Her dad brought the bag she prepared in advance for the night. Eunha’s dad was also nicely dressed, the man made a real effort and looked really elegant and handsome.

 

Sowon pushed her mother in the wheelchair, she was dressed in a nice long red dress, Sowon tied her hair up, and helped her with some makeup, the woman looked 10 years younger, Sowon realized that recently her mother was so weak and tired that she seriously looked way older that she was and seeing her all pretty and smiley tonight was making Sowon very hopeful.

 

Eunha’s dad smiled as he saw them enter the living room, he walked to them and bent down to hug Sowon’s mother.

 

“You look beautiful dear.” he said nicely and Sowon’s mother blushed.

 

“You look quite nice too.” she said to him and he laughed.

 

“Yeah, Eunha threatened to kill me if I didn't make some effort,” he said seriously. “Wanna drink something?” he asked as he bought some nice drinks, red wine and champagne.

 

Sowon went to get some glasses and Eunha’s dad opened the bottle, he offered a glass to Sowon’s mom and sat on the couch close to the edge so he was close to Sowon’s mother in her wheelchair to talk to her.

 

Sowon looked down at herself, she needed to get ready too, she went to her room and as she entered she saw Eunha halfway dressed and struggling with the zip on her back.

 

“Need a hand?” asked Sowon shyly and Eunha turned her head as she heard Sowon’s voice behind her.

 

“Yeah.” she said, giving up and waiting for Sowon to come closer.

 

Sowon stood behind Eunha and looked at her, she was searing a nice light pink dress with a white collar. Sowon’s hand slowly reached the zip that was already half way up, she took it in hand and slowly slided it up till she reached the collar. She brushed Eunha’s dress a bit, straightening the collar correctly and rested her hands on the short girl’s shoulders.

 

Once it was fully zipped neither of them moved. Sowon’s hands, still on Eunha’s shoulders. Sowon bit her lips, she was unable to move her body and was feeling attracted to Eunha, like a magnet. 

 

Eunha’s shoulders relaxed a bit and the girl turned around, fully facing Sowon. Their eyes met and they heard Eunha’s dad calling for them, wanting to know what they wanted to drink. Sowon looked away, clearing . 

 

“Tell him I will take some red wine, I will shower too and get ready.” she said to Eunha who nodded and walked to the door. “And Eunha…” called Sowon so Eunha stopped as she reached the door and turned to look at Sowon.

 

“Yeah?” said the short girl looking at Sowon who smiled.

 

“You look really pretty.” said Sowon, blushing a bit and walking to the bathroom to avoid looking at Eunha any longer.

 

Eunha smiled and shook her head before leaving the room and joining their parents in the living room.

 

Less than 10 minutes later Sowon was ready and fully dressed, she didn’t have many dresses in her closet and chose a simple sleeveless black and white dress. She thought again about tonight, it was Christmas eve.

 

She walked to her night stand and opened the second drawer. There were some envelopes, a pen, some hair accessories and under a postcard there was a little green box.

 

Sowon took it in her hands, she didn’t open it for years. As she opened it her heart missed a drop, she remembered the day she bought it more than 5 years ago.

 

It was a thin necklace with a silver rose. Sowon wanted to give it to Eunha for her birthday, before leaving but she couldn’t. She had it in her vest for days, on the short girl’s birthday they all hung out with their friends and Sowon didn’t find the courage to give it to Eunha.

 

Back there Sowon was hesitating. She wanted to confess her love to Eunha, tell her about those feelings growing in her but she didn’t find the right moment. When she wanted to do it, the words were stuck in . She tried but she couldn’t and finally she decided not to say anything. Her fear was way more stronger than her courage and she gave up, deciding to leave, run away from this, from Eunha, from her feelings.

 

She had put the gift in her nightstand and forgot about it till now. Maybe now she could give it to Eunha. Sowon sat on her bed and looked at it, there was a note inside that she wrote for Eunha.

 

She unfolded the little piece of paper and read the words she wrote years ago.

 

“Eunha, you are my favorite person in this world, my best friend, my confidant, my happiness. I never loved anyone as much as I love you. I’m finally opening my heart to you, because I can’t suppress those feelings any longer and you deserve to know, I should have been honest with you way sooner…

Eunha I’m in love with you and to be able to move on I need to know what you feel about me. I'm terrified to lose you if you don’t feel the same but I also can’t continue like this…

 

Sowon”

 

Sowon creased the note and put it in the trash close to her desk, she put the little box on her nightstand and joined the others in the living room.

 

“Wow honey you look amazing.” smiled her mother as she saw her.

 

Sowon smiled and sat at the only spot left, beside Eunha.

 

“She’s right, you look nice.” said Eunha to Sowon as she sat beside her. “Dad filled your glass.” she added pushing a glass of red wine closer to Sowon who nodded and took it.

 

“Thank you.” said Sowon as she lifted her drinks and everyone joined. “I wish you all a very nice christmas.” she said and they all cheered together happily.

 

“I will bring some appetizer.” said Eunha as she stood up. Sowon felt the warm feeling by her side leaving with Eunha. She looked at the short girl walking to the kitchen and she sighed. 

 

“I will help Eunha.” she said, putting down her glass and following Eunha in the kitchen.

 

“Need a hand?” asked Sowon with a smile and Eunha turned around, she nodded and gave a plat to Sowon. 

 

Eunha opened the oven and took the rest as it was warmed up by now. They brought everything to the living room and sat back drinking and eating. Eunha’s dad started talking about all the time Sowon would borrow his car to drive all the girls around, they talked about the past, bringing back memories from their time spent together. Sowon’s mother talked about the first time Sowon invited Eunha over, how shy Eunha was but quickly got comfortable and didn’t want to leave anymore.

 

“Yeah I remember, when I came to pick her up on Sunday night she was circling Sowon’s waist claiming she wanted to stay here some more days.” said Eunha’s dad as Eunha blushed.

 

“Yah!” said the short girl while they all laughed remembering the moment like it was yesterday. “It was the first time I was sleeping over at a friend's house so of course I wanted it to last.” said Eunha with a small pout.

 

“Well it lasted, you girls spent all the weekends after that day over at each other’s place, when you weren’t here, you were staying at Eunha’s place, remember Sowon?” asked her mother and Sowon nodded with a light blush.

 

“It was the good old times.” said Sowon in a low voice but Eunha looked at her and frowned.

 

Eunha’s dad nodded. “That’s crazy that you girls didn’t stay in touch after high school. You were so close.” he said, a bit sad. “I always thought Sowon was a good influence for you Eunha.” he added and Eunha glared at him.

 

“Please dad.” she told him and he nodded at her.

 

“Okay, okay.” he said, shaking his shoulders. “I just wonder what happened, you never wanted to talk about it and I know it made you very sad.” he said and Eunha sighed as she still glared at him with a death glare and he nodded again making a zip sign over his mouth.

 

Sowon looked down, she felt guilty, it was her that ran away, she was the one abandoning Eunha, of course she suffered but she didn’t think Eunha would suffer that much too. Sowon shyly looked at Eunha who looked back as she felt the tall girl’s eyes on her, their eyes met and they both looked away puting fake smiles on their faces and Sowon’s mother started talking about something else.

 

They the Christmas lights and Sowon looked at her mother, the woman looked so lively, it was such a contrast from the previous weeks. The many red, green and yellow lights were reflecting in her eyes, she was at peace, tranquil, relieved. Sowon went closer and hugged her mother.

 

“I hope you have a nice christmas, I know it’s probably not the best-”

 

“It’s the best.” cut her mother. “You are with me, our friends are here too, I couldn’t dream of a better night.” said her mother sincerely.

 

“I’m glad you are enjoying yourself.” said Sowon and her mother hugged her again. “Let me know if you are tired or if your head hurts.” said Sowon and her mother nodded.

 

“I feel good, pretty good, I just want this night to never end.” she said and Sowon smiled.

 

“Let’s make it as long as we can then.” she smiled and they all went to the table. Sowon and Eunha set the table, Eunha brought some decorations making the table very cute and pretty.

 

They all eat together and when they were about to start eating the dessert, Eunha’s dad decided to bring the gifts he bought for everyone. He had a gift for Sowon’s mother, the bigger package, he put it on her lap and smiled. “For you dear.” he said then he turned to Sowon sitting beside her mother. “I don’t know about this but you can go get a refund if you don’t like it.” he said to Sowon, “I remember how you and Eunha liked this when you were younger.” he explained then he looked at his daughter. “And this is for my princess.” he said, giving a small package to Eunha.

 

Eunha walked to the living room and brought her backpack. She took out a present for her dad and another one for Sowon.

 

Sowon looked at Eunha as she handed it to her. Sowon looked at the gift and then looked up at Eunha. “You didn’t have to buy me anything…” she said shyly.

 

“I wanted to.” said Eunha softly.

 

Sowon’s mother patted Sowon’s arm. “Honey, I think you have something for Eunha too.” she said pointing to Sowon’s room door. “Go grab it, it’s time to give it to her.”

 

Sowon stared at her mother confused. “How… how do you know…?” she asked, frowning. 

 

Did her mother find the box? Sowon’s breath got stuck in her chest. Did she read the note? Sowon felt her blood pulsing into her head. Her worst nightmare was happening, her mother must have been so disappointed when she found out. Sowon swallowed hard and looked at her mother, terrified to see some change in the way she looked at her. Sowon was more than terrified that her mother would see the real her, the one she’s been hiding all this time. 

 

“Mom it’s not what you think I… I mean it’s not… you….” Sowon was stuttering in confusion with a very low voice but her mother just put her hand on Sowon’s forearm and looked at her with a smile.

 

At the way the old woman was looking at her Sowon calmed down, her mother was still looking at her like before with so much love. Sowon swallowed again but relaxed, maybe her mother didn’t see the note after all.  “Honey, just go get it.” she insisted and Sowon obeyed, she went to her room and walked to her nightstand, she looked at the little green box.

 

She opened it again and looked at the necklace. She hesitated but then sighed loudly and walked back to the kitchen. “Here for you…” said Sowon shyly. Eunha took the little box.

 

“Thank you.” she said shyly too.

 

Eunha’s dad took out another little paper bag and showed them the christmas hats he had in it. “One for each!” he said happily and they all put a hat on their head laughing.

 

Sowon helped her mother open her gift, she started to look sleepy again and Sowon could see she was fighting hard to keep enjoying the night with them and resisted the pain to be able to stay longer at the table. It’s been some hours now that she was out of her bed and the energy that seemed to motivate her earlier was fading slowly as more time passed. 

 

When the gift was fully opened, Sowon’s mother smiled brightly. Eunha’s dad got her a warm and soft plaid.

 

“You like it?” asked the man while opening his present and found a baseball hat from his favorite team.

 

“I love it.” said Sowon’s mother happily then she asked Sowon to help her wrap it around herself. “It’s so soft.” she said happily and Sowon smiled. It was a great gift.

 

Eunha’s dad took off the christmas hat and put on his new baseball hat. He smiled at Eunha, “Thank you princess, I love it.” he said sincerely as he went to hug his daughter.

 

Both Sowon and Eunha opened the gifts they got from Eunha’s dad, Sowon got a small instant camera and Eunha got a book.

 

“Wow thanks dad.” said Eunha jumping happily to hug her dad. “It was the one I wanted to buy for a while.” she said as she started opening it to look at the first pages. “Well I will read it later.” she laughed as she closed it, knowing she couldn’t stop reading if she started it right now.

 

Sowon installed the paper in the camera and turned it on. “Thank you.” she said as she went to hug Eunha’s dad. “I was always using Eunha’s to take pictures but never got one.” 

 

The man smiled. “Yeah I remember, you two would always take silly pictures, Eunha’s room is full of those little pictures.” he said and he stood up. “What about taking some pics with our christmas hats?” he asked as he changed the hats and put back his christmas hat.

 

Sowon, who had longer arms, held the camera and they all came closer to Sowon’s mom, they all looked cute with their hats. One pics came out and Sowon put it in her pocket the time it fully appeared.

 

Eunha looked at her. “Let me take one of you with your mom.” she said and Sowon nodded, giving the camera to Eunha, their fingers brushed against each other and they both blushed.

 

Sowon moved closer to her mother and Eunha took a pic of them. Then Eunha’s dad wanted one with Sowon and her mom so Eunha took it.

 

“You didn’t open my gift.” said Eunha to Sowon who looked at the cute gift, it wasn’t small nor big, it looked like a book or something. 

 

“You didn’t open mine either.” said Sowon and Eunha took the little green box.

 

They opened their gift. Sowon discovered a new framed picture of them both, it was similar to the one they broke during their fight years ago, it wasn’t the same picture but it was one taken on the same day. Sowon looked at the pic and smiled. They looked cute together.

 

“Can I see?” asked Sowon’s mother and Sowon gave the frame to her mother who smiled as she saw the picture. “I remember that day, it was at the attraction park, you both insisted for weeks before we finally agree to take you there.” said Sowon’s mom in a low voice as she smiled.

 

“I remember too, once we entered the park they flew around and we both stayed there not knowing what to do.” said Eunha’s dad. “We went for a coffee and then walked around till we found the girls.” he said as he remembered that day too.

 

Eunha was silent as she was looking inside the little green box.

 

“You don’t like it?” Sowon asked, worried. “I know it’s-”

 

“It’s perfect.” cut Eunha as she had tears in her eyes. “I… I love it… it’s beautiful.” said Eunha as she took it out.

 

“It’s really nice, Sowon knows you so well.” said Eunha’s dad as he looked at it too.

 

“Help me?” asked Eunha to Sowon who nodded and walked behind Eunha. She took the necklace and hung it around Eunha’s neck. The short girl turned around and faced Sowon. “Thank you…” she whispered before hugging Sowon.

 

“Thank you too.” whispered Sowon back. “Thank you for everything.” she added as she broke the hug and took a step back.

 

“We should take more pics,” said Sowon’s mother. “It’s been a long time since you didn’t take one together.” she said to the girls and Eunha’s dad nodded.

 

“She’s right. Let me take one of you girls.” he said, taking the camera. Sowon stood beside Eunha. “Get closer.” he said, gesturing for them to get closer.

 

Sowon looked shyly at Eunha then got closer, she circled her arm around Eunha’s waist. The man took the picture and the girls moved away to sit back at the table.

 

They finished the dessert and chatted happily, taking more funny pictures till they finished all the photo paper. They looked at the pictures they took and Sowon smiled as she looked at the one with her mother, they both were smiling and looked so happy, then she looked at the pictures they took all together and once again they all seemed so joyful.

 

She was glad to be able to spend this Christmas here with her mother and with Eunha and her dad. She kinda regreted spending so much time away, away from her family, from the people she loved… She spent so much time all alone in her tiny apartment scared of her own feelings, scared to face her true self. She wasted so many opportunities, so much time with her mother.

 

She only realized the huge mistake she made now that her time with her mother was limited. Tears came to her eyes but she quickly brushed them away and stood up to clean the table, she put the leftovers in the fridge then looked around.

 

“You guys will stay over tonight?” she asked and Eunha and her father looked at each other. “We all drank a bit and it's getting late, I would feel reassured if you stay here…” she said and her mother nodded.

 

“She’s right, you shouldn’t drive in this state and it’s very late now.” she said and Eunha’s father nodded.

 

“I will sleep in my mom’s room, you can take my room and the couch.” she said and they nodded.

 

Eunha’s dad insisted on sleeping on the couch, leaving the bedroom for Eunha, so Sowon followed Eunha in her room and brought some clean sheets and blankets for Eunha’s dad to get on the couch.

 

Eunha stopped the tall girl as she was about to leave the room.

 

“Sowon…” she said in a low voice.

 

Sowon turned around looking at her. “What?”

 

Eunha took the rose from her necklace in between her fingers. “I really love it, but you didn’t have to… and when did you get the time to find a gift… I thought you didn’t prepare anything…? And this is definitely not anything…” she said and Sowon bit her lips as she nodded shyly.

 

“I had it for some time now, it was a birthday gift I bought like 5 years ago…” she explained. “It was some months before I left this town… I wasn’t sure you would like it…” Sowon half lied and looked down.

 

Eunha nodded and smiled. “Well I really love it.” she said sincerely.

 

“I’m glad you do.” answered Sowon before turning around to go help Eunha’s dad make the bed on the couch. Then she went to help her mother go to bed, she helped her change her clothes and get into the bed. Sowon took an old tshirt from her mother’s closet and got changed too then she went to bed with her mother.

 

As she lay down beside her she turned to look at the woman. “Was this night meeting your expectation?” asked Sowon smiling and her mother nodded. Her eyes half closed as she was really tired by now, it was way past midnight.

 

“It was almost as good as what I imagined.” said the woman and Sowon made a fake offended face.

 

“Almost?!” she asked laughing and her mother laughed lightly too then she became more serious as she continued.

 

“I was thinking about you and Eunha… this thing going on between you two…” said her mother and suddenly Sowon froze.

 

“What?” she asked worried. “So you… you did read the note… you saw it…” stuttered again Sowon as panic was rushing through her body.

 

Her mother sighed loudly. “I didn’t read the note Sowon, I just have eyes…” said the old woman.

 

“No it’s not… no no… Mom, there’s nothing, you can be proud of me… I will not disappoint you or anything, I won’t do anything to ruin our family… I swear…” Sowon said as she felt really bad, she wished her mother would never find out about this.

 

“Sowon I’m proud of you, why would that change…?” asked her mother in a whisper. “You really think I would be mad or something because of your feelings for Eunha?” asked the old woman and Sowon froze again.

 

“You… you’re not…?”

 

“Of course not… Why would you think that…?” she asked and Sowon massaged her temples, her mother wasn’t mad, and a heavy feeling disappeared from her chest but everything was still so confusing for her. 

 

Sowon looked at her mother in the eyes, “People talk mom, they would have thought badly of us if they knew, if I didn’t hide it, and all those expectations you had for me, saying stuff like I will marry a nice man and have a family… how you seemed happy to have grandchildren and all… I don’t know… it scared me… I thought you would be mad if I didn’t follow that path… but at the same time I just couldn’t change who I was…” explained Sowon as tears came to her eyes. After keeping those insecurities inside her for so long, saying all this out loud felt like a relief and a nightmare at the same time. Sowon was so scared about what her mother would think for so long.

 

“I don’t care what other people think, I know I had all those expectations about you, and I used to tell you this kind of stuff but I soon saw how strongly you and Eunha loved each other and I realized that if it was something that was making you happy then I would be happy for you…” said the woman as she breathed heavily.

 

Sowon brushed her tears away, “You really think that…?” Sowon asked as she was still quite insecure. 

 

Her mother nodded. “I do, and even more now that I realize how short life is, honey, you should be with her right now, not wasting time here.”

 

“I’m not wasting time mom, I really want to be with you.” said Sowon sincerely.

 

“I know honey, but you already wasted so much time, you both were apart for so long, don’t you see that you love each other?” asked the woman and Sowon her back, looking at the ceiling.

 

“I don’t know mom, I’m not sure Eunha loves me like that…” she said when suddenly she got hit in the arm.

 

“Of course she loves you, everyone can see it, she always had, she was devastated when you left, she was so sad, so broken…” said Sowon's mother and Sowon's heart hurt too. She was also so devastated to leave Eunha and her mother behind.

 

“Do you really think it’s okay…?” asked Sowon as she turned to meet eyes with her mother.

 

“Okay?” asked her mother back.

 

“Yeah that I love Eunha, that I fell in love with my best friend, that she’s a girl…?” asked Sowon worried but her mother rolled her eyes.

 

“You've always been so silly. I love you Sowon, how many times do I have to say it to you, I only want your happiness.” said the woman and Sowon felt more tears coming to her eyes. She turned fully to her mother and hugged her.

 

“I love you so much mom…” she said sobbing and her mother hugged her back.

 

“Listen to me Sowon, soon I won’t be here anymore, and I don’t want you to be alone, Eunha loves you, you love her it would be so silly for you to stay apart again, you deserve happiness, both of you and I really wish that once I’m gone you can find so much love with each others…” said the woman before coughing.

 

Sowon sat up and gave a glass of water to her mother. “You okay?” she asked and the woman nodded.

 

“You should go talk to her.” added her mother but Sowon looked down.

 

“I don’t know, what if she doesn’t really love me?” asked Sowon worried.

 

“I’ve spent so much time with Eunha, the way she talks about you, the way she cares about you, trust me, she loves you, always had.” said her mother.

 

Sowon hesitated. She wanted to believe her mother but after what she’s done to Eunha, after abandoning her and leaving without a word, after their fight, she wasn’t sure about what Eunha was thinking of her anymore.

 

“I’m getting really sleepy…” said Sowon’s mother, “could you give me my pills…” she asked and Sowon nodded. The woman took the pills and Sowon looked at her worried.

 

“Will you be okay?” she asked and the woman smiled a bit. 

 

“I will be all fine if you go talk to her. It would be the best Christmas gift for me to know you two can be happy together…” she said her voice like a whisper. “I want you to be surrounded by people that love you once I will be gone…” she continued and Sowon nodded.

 

She kissed her mother’s forehead. The woman closed her eyes and smiled. “Merry Christmas mom…” whispered Sowon before walking out.

 

Sowon walked in the corridor and stopped in front of her door’s room, she hesitated, wondering what if Eunha was sleeping. She decided to knock lightly and open the door to see if Eunha was awake.

 

She was surprised to find the lights on and Eunha halfway sitting in the bed, the short girl quickly put what she had in hands under her blanket and looked up at Sowon surprised.

 

“You scared me…” said Eunha frowning.

 

“Sorry,” said Sowon, suddenly shy. “I was worried you were already sleeping.” she said and Eunha shook her head.

 

“Do you need anything?” asked the short girl a bit coldly.

 

Sowon entered the room and closed the door behind her. “Not really, I mean yeah maybe, I… I just…”

 

“Is it about the gift?” asked Eunha now as she fully sat on the bed and took out the folded note that Sowon threw in the trash can earlier.

 

“You found it…” said Sowon, more shy than ever as she looked down.

 

“I did, and I can’t believe it…” said Eunha as she creased the piece of paper again and threw it as Sowon. “You abandoned me, you left me like I was nothing, telling me you were tired of me, but now I find this note.” Eunha said as tears came to her eyes. “How could you do that to me?!” asked Eunha mad and Sowon looked down. “If you really loved me you would have stayed, if you loved me you would have fought for me!” said Eunha as she got up and walked to Sowon. “How could you abandon me if you really loved me?” she asked, her voice cracking as tears felt from her eyes. “How?!” she asked again as she hit Sowon’s shoulder.

 

Sowon didn’t move away. “I did love you so much that it was the only reason I went away…” said Sowon and Eunha took a step back. “Listen, I wrote this a long ago and I thought my feelings changed but to be honest I still feel the same about you Eunha…” said Sowon before looking down. “I was scared to tell you before, scared you would reject me, scared my mom wouldn’t approve of it… scared people would talk about me… about us… I really thought that, you deserved better than anything I would be able to give you… I thought it would protect you…” explained Sowon sadly.

 

Eunha frowned even more. “Everyone was already talking about us Sowon and your mom really loves you, she wouldn’t mind who you love…” Eunha said mad. “How leaving me alone to deal with this was helping me or protecting me, we could have figured it out together, I needed you back then, do you really think you were the only one having those feelings?!” asked Eunha before suddenly realizing what she said and blushing lightly.

 

“You…?” Sowon didn’t finish her sentence that Eunha sighed.

 

“Of course, I loved you too.” added Eunha frustrated. “I don’t really know when I realized it, maybe after that drunk kiss at Yuju’s brother party, but all I knew was that I only wanted you, I wanted to be with you, spend every second of my life with you and suddenly you pushed me away and left me…” she finished with sadness in her voice.

 

Sowon looked down again. “I didn't know how to deal with those feelings… I didn’t think you would love me like that… it was so new, so different…” said Sowon as she thought back to her high school time. “I only recently discovered there were rumors about us in high school.” added Sowon sincerely and Eunha smiled a bit, all anger vanishing by now.

 

“Of course you are so dumb, only you didn’t see how in love with you I was at that time.” said Eunha. “Gosh even our friends guessed it, they never asked but I’m sure they know.” said Eunha and Sowon sighed. She was kinda relieved but at the same time terrified, what would happen now, was Eunha still feeling the same or did she turn the page and was over her now.

 

“I still love you Sowon…” said Eunha and Sowon looked up at her, still amazed by how the short girl could read in her. “I really wanted to hate you for breaking my heart, I kept reminding myself how you abandoned me, how it was impossible for you to really love me, how all the things you told me while being drunk were lies, but I also always had some hope that what I was feeling was real and that you were feeling something too…” explained Eunha as she looked down and picked up the piece of paper she threw at Sowon earlier. “Lot of things would be different if we had made different decisions back then…” she finished with a low sigh.

 

“I know…” said Sowon as she looked at Eunha's sad face. “I’m so sorry… I never really considered your feelings in this… I only thought about myself… I was selfish and I hurt you a lot…” said Sowon sincerely as some tears came to her eyes.

 

“Don’t be, I was selfish too…” said Eunha coming closer and brushing away Sowon’s tears gently. “I should have talked to you, clear things up instead of just wait and hope everything would magically be sorted out…” said Eunha as she took Sowon’s hands in hers. “We were young and immature.” continued Eunha. “We are not kids anymore, and I’m glad you finally came back. I’m glad we kinda talked about this.”

 

Sowon looked up and met eyes with Eunha. “We can’t change the past but maybe we can avoid making the same mistakes again…?” said Sowon and Eunha nodded. “We could give ourselves a second chance to make things right this time…”

 

“Of course.” said Eunha with a little smile. “I would love a second chance.” she said and bit her lips together shyly.

 

Sowon looked at the short girl's lips and hesitated, she was dying to kiss her but she was unsure about making the first move. She looked up and met Eunha’s eyes looking straight into hers, then Eunha moved closer, her face approaching and Sowon’s hesitation vanished. She closed the space between them and kissed Eunha’s lips slowly.

 

The kiss was slow but firm, they both wanted this since so long, it was like a deliverance, it was electrifying but at the same time so familiar. 

 

They broke apart and looked at each other shyly. 

 

“I should go back to sleep,” finally said Sowon as she stood up. Eunha looked at her worried. “It’s late and if I stay here I’m pretty sure we won’t sleep at all.” smiled Sowon and Eunha’s expression relaxed, she even smiled back.

 

“You’re right, we can talk more about all this tomorrow.” she said looking at Sowon with a content expression. “I… I love you.” said again Eunha and Sowon turned around bending to give Eunha another kiss.

 

“I love you too.” she whispered before walking away and going back to her mother’s room.

 

Sowon slowly entered the room and walked to the bed in silence, her mother moved as she joined her under the blanket.

 

“Already back?” asked her mother in a whisper.

 

“You were right, she does love me back.” said Sowon.

 

“I couldn’t be more happy for you honey.” said her mother. “Now get some sleep.” she said and Sowon her side to get some sleep. 

 

Finally all the fears that were breaking her down, all the worries and the sadness she felt for years vanished and Sowon never felt so relieved in life before. She had a smile on her face as she finally fell asleep that night.