seventeen

100 Strawberry Frappuccinos
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Several days have passed since Donghae received the unexpected call from Hyukjae. Since then, he has also received over ten calls from Siwon too, but he has not answered those. He has not forgotten what Aya had told him at the club, and he has not forgotten his need to find out what happened at Siwon’s bachelor party - it’s just that he currently has a more urgent need.

That he takes Hyukjae on the best date ever.

Realistically, that is not Donghae’s only urgent need when it comes to Hyukjae. There are other ones too, and those get stronger all the time, especially when he’s in bed at night and his apartment is quiet and dark, and his imagination is at its best (what’s it like to kiss Hyukjae, his lips look so soft and beautiful, I bet he has the most amazing body, how does he like to be touched, what would he sound like if I-).

Donghae swallows hard and shakes his head to clear it. He’s already nervous without starting to think of things like that. Technically he has already had a date with Hyukjae, however this is the first official date, and Donghae sure hopes it ends better than the last one. It’s now Wednesday evening (the only night Hyukjae had said he was free) and Donghae is standing outside of his apartment building. His palms are sweating despite the cold and despite the fact that he is a little underdressed for the weather because he really wanted to look nice.

He checks the time on his phone. He hasn’t rung yet to let the other man know he’s arrived, because he’s still too early. He’d spent pretty much the whole day getting ready as it was, since he wasn’t working and had nothing to distract him. He’d eventually decided on black jeans (that are slightly too tight for comfort but make his thighs and look good), a nice t-shirt and the softest and fluffiest and most huggable sweater that he owns.

Still another ten or so minutes to go. He checks he’s got his wallet, too. He’d received a small retaining fee from Shindong on Monday, and he’s been super careful not to spend anything at all over the last few days so that he can treat Hyukjae. He’s booked them a table at a very nice family-run pasta restaurant, and he knows of a cozy little coffee shop he’s hoping they can stroll to afterwards for dessert. Then he will bring Hyukjae home again and perhaps-

Perhaps, if Hyukjae’s had a really nice time, Donghae might get to give him the tiniest peck goodnight.

Donghae blinks rapidly and feels his heartbeat hasten at the thought of that, and of anything that might follow. He’s kissed many pretty girls goodnight (and also good morning) so he shouldn’t be feeling nervous, but this is not some random girl.

This is Hyukjae.

He can’t wait any longer. Taking a deep breath, he dials.



 

Hyukjae is sitting on the side of his bed while Kyuhyun gloats and his friend Ryeowook fusses over him with a makeup brush and a comb.

‘You look great,’ Kyuhyun says proudly. ‘Like a million bucks!’

‘That’s because this outfit probably cost a million bucks,’ Hyukjae murmurs. ‘What if I spill something on it?’

‘Then I’ll sue you,’ Ryeowook says cheerfully. Hyukjae’s met him once or twice before through work when sourcing models and high end fashion for photoshoots. Kyuhyun, who is on good terms with the man, had somehow convinced him to loan Hyukjae some of the pieces he has access to. Ryeowook had delivered them himself, sitting with folded arms and a critical eye as Hyukjae tried different outfits. Kyuhyun, who had about as many qualifications to judge if something was fashionable or not as a potato, had been just as keen to give his opinion, and in the end Hyukjae had just let them do what they wanted.

‘That about does it,’ Ryeowook says, stepping back and admiring his handiwork.

Kyuhyun pulls Hyukjae up and over to the full length mirror.

‘Look!’ he demands, and Hyukjae gazes at himself unenthusiastically.

The man gazing back at him from within the mirror is almost a stranger. Smokey eyes, artfully tousled bangs, delicate silver earrings. A deep red Italian dinner jacket, the hand-embroidered silk highlighting the contrast between his pale skin and dark hair. Soft dark dress pants ending in even softer leather shoes with a not-so-subtle Gucci logo. 

Hyukjae touches his hair. He looks…

Unlike himself.

Or perhaps like the more confident and cold version that he has often wished he was.

‘I’ll die laughing if Donghae turns up in his leather jacket and boots,’ Kyuhyun says. ‘He probably will, right? I don’t think he owns anything else.’

Ryeowook makes a minute adjustment to Hyukjae’s cuff.

‘You’ve got great shoulders,’ he says enviously. ‘Made to measure for clothes like this.’

Kyuhyun is clicking pics on Hyukjae’s phone and when it rings he almost drops it.

‘It’s the douchebag!’

He passes the phone to Hyukjae who fumbles and almost misses the call due to the ludicrous fuss the other two are making, clutching at each other and suppressing laughter.

‘Hello?’

‘Hi,’ Donghae says. Hyukjae has him on speaker and they can hear the sounds of cars behind him. He sounds almost shy. ‘Um, I’m outside, if- if you’re ready?’

Kyuhyun is shaking his head, pointing at the clock on Hyukjae’s beside table, mouthing instructions.

‘You’re early,’ Hyukjae says.

‘Yes, make him wait,’ Ryeowook hisses gleefully.

‘I can wait!’ Donghae says simultaniously. ‘I didn’t want to be late, so- um, I can call us a taxi if you want, take your time-’

‘Tell him you’ll be another fifteen minutes,’ Kyuhyun whispers, pinching Ryeowook to shut up his gasp of horror at the designer jacket going anywhere in such a lowly form of transport. ‘No, twenty minutes! Tell him that!’

‘I’ll be down in ten,’ Hyukjae says.

‘Okay,’ Donghae says, and he sounds so glad. ‘Okay! I’ll see you then!’

Kyuhyun takes the phone from Hyukjae and hangs up.

‘Hyuk,’ he says. He cups Hyukjae’s face between his hands and stares at him sternly. ‘You’re sticking to the plan, right?’

Ryeowook is holding out a small business card.

‘This reservation has been booked for months,’ he says. ‘If my client hadn’t canceled-’

‘Months,’ Kyuhyun repeats, as if hearing it twice will convince Hyukjae this whole date is a good idea. ‘Remember to order the most expensive wine, okay?’

Hyukjae’s not feeling nearly as enthusiastic. For some reason he keeps picturing Donghae’s big, sad, hopeful eyes.

‘C’mon, Hyukjae,’ Kyuhyun says, cajolingly. ‘You’re the one who wants to know if he just wants to use you, right? If he really has feelings for you?’

‘I know,’ Hyukjae says. ‘But I-’

‘You’ve messed up your hair!’ Ryeowook snaps the hair straightener at him. ‘Come over here real quick, I can fix it!’

 

When Hyukjae is finally out of the apartment, taking a deep breath and trying to center himself as the elevator takes him down to the street, it’s twenty minutes after the phone call after all. The main doors swish open and it’s snowing and the stupid Gucci shoes are going to be ruined, and-

Donghae is there.

Smiling like a ray of sunshine, stepping forward to greet him, nose a little pink from the cold, eyes bright.

‘Wow,’ he says. ‘Hyukjae- you look incredible.’

He doesn’t look too bad himself. In fact, he’s dressed for the sort of date Hyukjae wished they were going on. His usual leather jacket is nowhere to be seen; instead he’s in nice jeans, nice sneakers, and a fluffy sweater that makes him look ridiculously huggable as he gently ushers Hyukjae towards the waiting taxi. After making sure Hyukjae is safely inside he hurries around to get in himself, and he’s beaming and sneaking little glances, and Hyukjae very nearly calls the whole thing off.

Ryeowook and Kyuhyun in the apartment lobby, watching them go through the glass. Kyuhyun gives him a thumbs up.

The car pulls out into the traffic.

‘Wow,’ Donghae says again, and Hyukjae realizes that the first time, Donghae had only been looking at his face. Now he’s taking in his outfit. ‘Wow, Hyukjae. I uh- I hope you won’t be disappointed by the restaurant we’re going to. They have really great pasta and gelato but it’s not super fancy or anything.’

‘Oh,’ Hyukjae says. He hands over the little business card Ryeowook had given him. ‘You didn’t book anything, right? Do you mind if we go here instead? One of my friends gave me his reservation.’

Donghae takes the card and gives a little quizzical frown.

‘Of course,’ he says. Bless the man, he’s obviously never heard of the place. He hands the card to their driver. ‘Can we go here instead of Romano's?’

‘Get him to drop us a block away,’ Hyukjae says. ‘It’s not the type of place to pull up in a taxi.’

‘Oh,’ Donghae says. He looks a bit worried then leans forward to the driver. ‘Is that okay?’

‘Sure,’ the man says. He glances at Hyukjae in the rear view mirror, clearly a lot less impressed by him than Donghae is. Donghae doesn’t notice because he’s reached out to tentatively take Hyukjae’s hand, grinning with shy delight when he’s not rebuffed.

 

Pierre Gagnaire Seoul is the sort of restaurant that has someone at the door to turn common people away. Donghae makes a hushed call before they enter, apologizing as he cancels the reservation he’d already made for them somewhere else, back turned to Hyukjae as if that would stop him from hearing. Then he turns back, smiling brightly.

‘Shall we go in?’ he says, offering his arm gallantly.

Hyukjae takes it. The pale sweater is exactly as soft as it looks, and Dongahe’s arm is warm and firm beneath it.



 

Fifteen minutes later they are seated. The table is set for four, as in the original reservation, and a waiter clears the spare settings away with quiet disapproval. The restaurant is not set up for private or romantic dinners; it’s more a place to see and be seen. Hyukjae recognized one or two celebrities in the short walk to their table and Donghae is looking around too.

For the first time he looks a bit anxious.

‘Gosh,’ he says. ‘I think I’m a bit underdressed.’

The maitre d’ had thought so too, but fortunately Hyukjae’s flashy designer outfit had convinced him to let them in. Hyukjae had not liked the way the man had cast a disparaging eye over Donghae. He hoped Donghae had not noticed.

Hyukjae’s phone buzzes.

-Remember to order wine!

-Ask the waiter for whatever champagne they recommend, it’s always the good

-But don’t get drunk it could be dangerous

Hyukjae tucks his phone into his expensive pocket. He’s almost surprised to realize that he is not worried about that at all. Nothing would happen if he drank too much. Donghae would make sure he got home safely, that’s all.

He knows that about Donghae now. He doesn’t know how. He just does.

When had he started to trust the man?

He raises his hand abruptly for the waiter because perhaps he does need a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter