II - Special

Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yuri held her face as always. "Sica-yah. Why are you so pretty?"

They both let out a soft laugh then Jessica lightly poked Yuri's chest. Yuri just laughed more.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY YUL!!!" Jessica yelled carelessly as people stared and passed by them.

"Shhh... Keep it low okay? Thank you." Yuri smiled in shame but with contented inner happiness. No one ever greets her the way Jessica does. 

Jessica pulled Yuri's arm quickly going back to the bench. She then gets the bag on the ground, shakes off the dust on the sides of it then finally hands it over to Yuri.

"For you!" Looks like Jessica doesn't have any plans on toning down her voice. She had kept her cheerful mood all for her best friend.

Yuri gladly receives it then takes a peek at it. She then noticed a gift-wrapped rectangular box.

"You can open it now. I'm really sure you'll like it! Like super like it! Like to the moon and back and going back again!" Jessica's gestures were like that of a seven-year-old girl, complementing the cute tone of her voice that made them laughed so hard.

"Okay. I'll open it now." Yuri sat on the bench and Jessica followed.

Yuri noticed a card on it. "I'll read this at home." She says then puts it on her coat's inner pocket. She starts to carefully unwrap the present.

With hands clasped under her chin, knees juggling on the double while staring at Yuri, Jessica looks more excited than the birthday girl.

Until finally a portion of the box cover was revealed. There are actually two boxes. And Yuri knows right then and there what those are.

Her eyes widened in surprise along with in a silent scream. She was awestruck by the presents.

"OH MY GOD!!!" Yuri was in complete shock. Jessica was just staring at her, chuckling as she continued to watch Yuri in her weirdest reaction. She's happy though, and that's the most important thing right now.

Mission accomplished. Jessica thought.

Yuri hurriedly tears every wrap until there's none. She was still speechless as she looked at the boxes. She places them on her lap and her hands gently trace the box cover.

It was the LEGO limited edition anniversary models of Wall-E and Eve. It comes with a remote and pieces of electronic controls to light up the eyes of the characters and a simple function to make the heads turn.

She loved that film so much. Actually, both of them. When it premiered, Jessica was in Seoul at that time and so they had the chance to watch it together. They ended up watching the film four times and Jessica cried four times too. Yuri wanted those so bad. She failed to buy them when it was first released after it was sold out in the first hour.

She asked Tiffany to help her find those but they just fought. 

For Tiffany, it was all useless. Waste of money and soon will just be forgotten and thrown. Besides, toys are for kids. She's really not into that.

But for Yuri, it was more than a useless display. It was a source of joy. And who else can understand her when it comes to that? Who again made her feel this content on her special day?

 

Jessica.

 

The woman surely knows everything about her and never forgets a single thing.

Yuri's happiness is her joy.

Nothing can change that.

She wanted to be Yuri's source of it too, but... things do not work the way she wants. So, she accepted her place in Yuri's life. She thought, maybe that's how Yuri will ever see her. She'll never be more than the most cherished best friend.

"Ho--how?" Yuri looked at Jessica who continued to chuckle at her.

"Anything for you!" She answered sincerely. Her eyes were affectionate as always and Yuri just doesn't seem to notice or maybe she does. "You know, I've waited for months trying to convince the collector to sell those. I was so happy when he finally agreed. So, am I right? Did you like it? Like super like to the moon and back and going back again?"

They both let out a soft laugh.

"I love them. Thank you, Sica." She was still in awe. "Really... these... are just amazing. Wow." Yuri was sincerely thankful for her. She couldn't express how grateful she is but she knows that Jessica understood.

"You're welcome. Hey... let me take a picture of you." She then serves another purpose of her existence... as Yuri's photographer.

Yuri held the boxes up, showing the covers with her brightest smile. She's a happy kid after all. Jessica took a few photos of her as she posed differently, which she hates but couldn't say no to her photographer. Until Yuri's familiar red baseball cap caught Jessica's attention.

"Isn't that my birthday gift to you last year?"

Yuri took it off then nodded. "Yeah. Even this coat. Remember? The one you bought in Paris?"

This is news to her. "Paris..." She mumbled. "Really? You mean the same coat 5 years ago?"

Yuri hummed in response with a visible smile on her lips. She then wears the cap again and puts the presents in the paper bag.

"Yul, didn't you notice anything?" Jessica smirked then stood up. She slowly turns, making sure that Yuri would see every corner of her.

Yuri wondered, "It can't be." She mumbled while looking at the red hat on her best friend's head.

"Is that the same beret I got you in middle school?"

Jessica sits again then leans closer to Yuri. "Yeap!"

"What?!"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter