I - Us

Waiting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Winter.

The sound of dancing leaves, children's laughter, and a splash of water fountains calm Yuri as she stays seated on a concrete stair tread alone, waiting. She's been there for quite a while now just enjoying the cool wind and view. She checks the time, finding out that it's already 4 o'clock and she's only got an hour left before attending the launch of her girlfriend's clothing and perfume business.

When her girlfriend is busy, she usually spends her time alone. She's most of the time a loner.

 

Socialization is not for her. No one really talks to her when she was in high school until college unless concerning assignments and projects.

 

Tiffany was the first one to say 'Hi!' when they met during the internship. She thought, when Tiffany first noticed her, she felt extra.

Tiffany was the first one to ask about them. "Yuri, I want to be your girlfriend. Yes?"

Yuri was on cloud nine. She wanted to ask her that many times but her tongue always gets stuck. She by expressing her feelings with words. It's always problematic for her. Thanks to Tiffany's bold personality, their friendship leveled up fast.

 

As they say, people change. Or rather, not every side of a person is easily seen. They choose who and when to show their different faces to.

Things changed right after they started living together, exactly a year after they became a couple.

She didn't expect that having a rich girlfriend would mean being busy and going crazy with a luxurious life. Non-stop socializing with a huge network. Always attending events to impress and widening the connections.

And for Yuri, it meant waiting alone on the corner until Tiffany is done talking to every single person.

Waiting alone until Tiffany gets back from an out-of-the-country tour with her family or friends. Yes, without her.

Waiting alone at home until Tiffany is done with work.

Spending her time alone maybe because Tiffany is at a dinner or lunch with a client or a VIP friend.

She has seen Tiffany talk to different guys.

 

Just talking.

 

But they were taking advantage of her, actually. No VIP gentlemen would take their hands off of Tiffany but she didn't mind. One time, Yuri's jealous mind snapped and they fought. But in the end, Tiffany easily swayed her that it's all just work and business and nothing else. That she had to be friendly to gain their trust, without thinking that she could hurt Yuri by that. Yuri couldn't do anything but agree with Tiffany.

She needs her so bad.

She couldn't lose her.

 

She wanted to live on her own like how she used to but she can't.

It happened behind a few arguments, but Yuri ended up going back to Tiffany's apartment after an hour of walking away.

It has become like that.

Sometimes, no, most of the time, she'd think how she made it through for six years feeling okay with all these.

Until one time, she realized that she can't live alone anymore. She got used to being with her lover.

 

Until Tiffany became her weakness.

 

Until Tiffany became more dominant.

 

Until Tiffany starts upbraiding. Always reminding Yuri of everything she's done for her and for them.

 

Yuri survived and that's good.

But she's tired of everything.

Every day with Tiffany is suffocating.

She hates herself for being such a weakling for Tiffany.

She became too comfortable.

That feeling of being complacent as long as they're together.

And everything else became a boring routine.

 

She doesn't even know if she still loves her.

 

She doesn't even know if Tiffany still loves her.

 

Sometimes, no, most of the time, she asks herself when will Tiffany get tired of her and just break up. Maybe that's what she's been waiting for since she couldn't initiate to do something for them. She wouldn't insist on doing anything between them. She only goes by with Tiffany's decision.

Maybe because it's better.

 

Maybe because it's less hassle.

 

Or maybe, she's just afraid of change.

 

The only change that she was able to accept and adjust to was when she had to enter the orphanage.

 

Maybe she only needed some company since her family had left her at an early age. She didn't have any relatives in the country and had never been close to them so, it's useless anyway.

She has a few friends -- you could count on one hand. She talks to a few people from work but has no one to share time with constantly with deep conversations.

Well, there is one though, her best friend, Jessica but she now lives in Japan. Both her and Yuri's parents were friends. So when Yuri started staying at the orphanage, Jessica never missed a day visiting her. She was grateful to her parents for helping Yuri in school -- even in school, they're together.

As a Fashion Magazine Editor, she would travel the world every month as required for her job. They would check on each other from time to time through SNS and if their schedule permits, they'd do video calls and talk for hours.

 

She's the only person who knows Yuri.

 

All of her.

 

Even with Yuri's funny personality, she can only show that to Jessica.

 

She can simply be herself in front of Jessica.

 

Yuri can't hide anything from her. She wouldn't.

 

Jessica can't hide anything from her either. She wouldn't.

 

But as time matures them, they both realized that there are things that are better kept than said.

 

"Sica-yah!!!" Yuri answered the phone call cheerfully and as always, she skipped a heartbeat. The feeling started just before middle school and became consistent ever since Jessica started living in Japan. The excitement and joy that Yuri feels are indescribable. She just knows that she feels that way whenever she talks to her.

"Yuri-yah!!!"

They both chuckled. They always greet each other like this. Making each other feel how happy they are to hear each other's voices. Making each other feel that everything's fine and nothing to worry about.

"Are you busy?"

"Hmm... Not really. I'm just here at the park trying to kill time."

"Why, you don't have work?"

"I already quit!" Yuri sounded thrilled.

"What???!!! Yesss!!!" Jessica screamed in satisfaction. "At last!!!! Happy Birthday Yuri-yah!!!"

They both let out a burst of blithe laughter.

"Waaaahhh... Thank you! Where are you?"

"As always..." Jessica chuckled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter