two.

Tutor Me, Mr. Scientist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Surprisingly, tutoring Sooyeon wasn’t what Doyoung expected at all. She asks questions when she doesn’t understand the concept, but also – he’s noticed that she makes mental notes off the sides of her notes. Ways for her to understand the concept. He found it impressive of how she could understand his brain or how he teaches the concept to her. In lab, he started noticing her more, making sure she understands what she’s doing or asking her if she needed help whenever he’d pass by her station. And because they were learning about the different types of bacteria in lab, he’d watch the way she takes notes and again, off the in the side margins, her way of understanding the material. Doyoung can finally see that she isn’t so bad after all. When it's time to do their lab work, she finds herself wandering to Doyoung.

 

“Tutor session tonight?”  

 

Doyoung questioned, eyeing her as she packs up her lab notebook to leave the class. He had already taken off his lab coat as he stood beside her – ready to leave for the day. Initially, he wanted to work on his research project more, but the professor had mentioned that he’s done too much for the week and he needed to take a break at least for a day or two since the due date was slowly approaching either way. He was going to be finishing the research report soon either way then he’s off to graduation at the end of the near coming semester. Sooyeon looked up from her backpack and smiled to the much taller male, nodding her head as she slings her backpack over her shoulder.

 

Something people were starting to notice now was that Doyoung was now hanging with Sooyeon – many people thought it was strange as he is always alone studying or with the sports jocks, his friends. Some also didn’t find it strange as he’s Jaehyun’s friend, and Sooyeon is Jaehyun’s sister. Plus, Sooyeon was pretty much friends with everyone. It just seems weird the popular girl to hang with the nerd of campus. “Same time?” She asked as they walked out of the lab room together. “Same time,” Doyoung confirmed as they walked side by side towards the stairs. “Have you eaten yet?” She asked, glancing towards the taller male. He pushed up his glasses and shook his head. “Have you eaten at all today?” She pried; brows risen in his direction. It’s scientifically said that three meals a day helps stimulate the brain and help function throughout the day – but Doyoung tends to skip breakfast as he had morning classes. “No,” he responds. Sooyeon let out a dramatic sigh as she grabs onto his hand, practically dragging him through campus. “It’s important that you eat breakfast, Kim Doyoung!” She exclaims as he stares at her with astonishment. His full name, and he’s being scolded by a junior, who was just two years younger than him.

 

“How are you going to stimulate that brain of yours if you don’t get the right nutrition into your system?”

 

Doyoung was mildly surprised that someone cared about him – someone aside from his group of friends, his brother, or his parents. “Where are you taking me, Sooyeon?” He questioned, following behind her as she dragged him. He could feel his ears burning – this situation was new to him. Besides, since when did he ever have a female pay attention to him? Perhaps only when they want to get closer to his jock friends or his frat brothers. “We’re going to get food!” She exclaimed as she pulled him towards the student center. The pair of them were now entering the student center after a few minutes of walking – or basically dragging him through campus. “How are you going to tutor me if you don’t have food in your system?” She added, eyeing him with a concerned expression. It was like her natural motherly instincts kicked in and she had to take care of those around her. He could see why she had many friends and people who adored her. Popular or not, she’s got a big heart just like her brother, Jaehyun. Maybe it ran in the Jeong family.

 

The two stood in the middle of the student center, where Sooyeon stood with her hands on her hips while they looked around at the options of foods. “What do you want to eat?” She asked Doyoung, turning to look at him as he eventually looked at his options. “A sandwich will do,” he replied while Doyoung started to walk to the mini market – prompting Sooyeon to follow.

 

“Hey, Soo! Doyoung!” The voice caught both, Doyoung and Sooyeon’s, attention as they turned to see Johnny and Jaemin standing in line at the mini market. “What are you two doing?” Jaemin, Doyoung’s brother – Jeno’s best friend questioned as he greets the pair with individual handshakes. “He has to tutor me tonight, but right now – he needs to get food into his system since he skipped breakfast.” Sooyeon glared towards Doyoung who shifted shyly. Jaemin and Johnny snorted a laugh, eyeing the pair. “He’s always skipped breakfast, it’s no surprise, noona,” Jaemin uttered, allowing Doyoung to glare in the direction of the younger male. His eyes basically screaming at the younger to shut up. This, though, allowed Sooyeon to glare at her tutor and now friend. Without warning, she slaps Doyoung’s arm allowing him to flinch at the physical and sudden contact. For whatever reason, Johnny and Jaemin found it entertaining considering no female as ever been around Doyoung. Some were too intimidated by the male based on his status and ranking in the school.

 

Doyoung found himself scurrying away from the three, off to grab some sandwiches and drinks. “How’s the tutoring going?” Johnny asked as they waited for the line to move up. Sooyeon turned her attention away from Doyoung and nodded her head: “I scored a high grade on my last exam, so I think it’s going pretty good.” Johnny grinned, offering a high-five to the female. “I’m proud of you!” He encouraged which brought a smile to the brunette’s lips. “You got this noona,” Jaemin added, reaching the register, “You’ve got a few more days before the semester’s over too.” Sooyeon was beaming from ear to ear as she thanked the younger, and since it’s true that they had a few more days – particularly two days after Jaehyun’s championship game. Doyoung emerged to the line with the promised sandwiches and drinks while he stood behind Johnny.

 

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

 

 

They decided that they’d eventually stay in the student center for a few more hours. Doyoung did his best to teach the difference between the six types of microbiology. Since her next and final exam was based on knowing the gram-negative or gram-positive of a bacterium and the shapes that can be seen in the gram stains. “If you remember that, you’ll be able to ace the exam next week.” Sooyeon nodded her head, making mental notes off to the side of how she was going to study for the exam – especially the methods that he had taught her. A content sigh escaped the brunette’s lips as she turns her attention to male nibbling on the sandwich that she was forcing him to eat hours before, but only now was he eating it. Her attention sat on the male as she just stared at him. “Have you ever thought about wearing contacts?” She questioned, eyeing him while he looked up with brows raising at the question. Her eyes squinted before she reached over, taking off his glasses. The male squinted his eyes, blinking at the sudden change in vision and surprise.

 

“You look really handsome!”

 

The compliment had Doyoung sidetracked, and he could feel his ears burning – probably about to turn red at the compliment. “Is that blush I see creeping on your cheeks?” Sooyeon teased as she leaned in, nudging his arm with a playful smile. Though, she laughed and moved away. Now he knew that he was redder than a tomato. He shook his head, reaching for his glasses. Despite being able to see without his glasses on, but his vision isn’t the best from far away. The brunette chuckled at the state that Doyoung was in. She’d never seen him blush or even smile before; it was a new state. “You really should consider wearing contacts,” she added after a cool down between what just happened. “You look good without glasses.” He never thought about wearing contacts – he enjoyed his glasses, but maybe he’d consider it one day. “Just…” he stuttered, pointing towards the papers in front of them, “start drilling the information into your brain – don’t worry about my vision.” Sooyeon pursed her lips and grinned at the male before refocusing on the task in front of them before they part ways for the next few days.

 

“Are you going to the game Friday, Mr. Scientist?”

 

Off the subject again, but she had to know. Afterall, half of the basketball team was Doyoung’s friends. The male blinked several times while she turned her attention to him, her pen still sitting snuggly in her hand. “I don’t know,” he replied, shrugging his shoulders as he took a sip of the water before him. “It’s their championship game – are you not going to go support your friends?”

 

“They’ll have plenty of support there,” he responded. Sooyeon blinked, sitting back against her seat. “But they’re your friends,” she argued, “I’m pretty sure they’d want their friend’s support more than the student body.” Sooyeon couldn’t understand why he didn’t like going to social events or even parties his brothers threw. She found out from Jaehyun that all was true – Doyoung stays couped up in his room just to study or he’s in the lab working on his research project. From what she knew, he was almost done – he just needed his lab report written out in detail. “Why does it matter?” He retorted; brows furrowed as he grew slightly irritated with everyone asking him the same question. “It matters because they’re your friends, and friends have each other’s backs. If you don’t then they’ll never have your backs in the future. Some of your friends are going to be scouted Friday and they’re going to be a wrecking ball of nerves. They’ll need your support.” Doyoung let out an agitated sigh, gathering his things together. “We’re done here,” he uttered, leaving the brunette in shock. “Take the notes and good luck on your final.” Sooyeon sat in shock as he just upped and left her. He left her with his notes – notes on the current topic she needed help in. Notes that he has never had anyone else have or even copy. Notes that are so well-detailed that anyone struggling would understand it. She stared at it in almost disbelief as she looked at the neatly stacked papers then to the vanishing figure of Doyoung’s.

 

All she wanted to know is if he’d go support his friends. Friends who could be scouted the night of and could possibly be professional basketball players at the end of their college careers. It’s going to be a nerve-wracking night, and they’ll need all the support – from friends to family – to back them up. Sooyeon thought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter