V - First impression

Hidden Lies

Baekho woke up well-rested. Before he left the library that L turned into his main bedroom, he checked himself in the mirror to make sure his appearance was one of his friends. In the small hallway, right before you exit the house stood a small, usually empty coffee table, but today there was a note.

In the note, L’s mother apologized for her sudden absence and included directions to his promised “surprise”, which turned out to be the date with a potential marriage partner. Baekho had read her letter twice. For a few seconds, he stood there, mind blank. Should he call L and discuss the situation? But he can’t let the date wait since he’s aware of how much L likes this person. His friend did him a great favor. He can’t ruin the date with his friend’s potential lover. He had little time and decided to call L later in the evening, and made quick steps toward the meeting place..

Ren woke up with a headache. He was turning and tossing all night. Good thing his face in the mirror looked much better than what he felt inside. He wished to speak with his parents one more time, but Mainee informed him they left early in the morning and put her in charge of making sure Ren attended the arranged meeting.

Ren sat behind the table in the kitchen, troubled. Mainee prepared his breakfast and tried to brighten up his mood with uplifting and encouraging words, but the house's only child didn’t feel any better. He left most of the breakfast untouched and disappeared back to his room.

Last night, after the mayor bomb his mother dropped on him, he tried to reach Aron, but in vain. Until he hears all of this from Aron's own mouth, he will not be convinced.

He sat at his vanity table and stared at the mirror as if his reflection will tell him what to do. He lined his cat-like eyes and put on some blush. With his hands, he pulled his hair up and down again a few times, checking what fitted him best. He felt annoyed with all the thoughts in his head. In the end, he did nothing with his hair and just let them be. He left the house determined, he will meet the guy like planned, he’ll turn him down, look for Aron and clear up this mess. Simple.

Baekho arrived at the meeting place a little earlier than expected. There was no picture with the note because L knew his love interest, however, Baekho did not. Having that in mind, Baekho sat down behind a table that had a good view of the entrance. This way, he could monitor everyone that stepped inside the tea shop.

More and more people came and left, and he grew concerned. Will he be able to recognize the person he’s meeting? At first, he felt annoyed but later hoped his date was really only late, and it was not him sitting at the wrong cafe or not realizing he missed the person.

He checked the note yet again, and he was at the right place. Taking another sip of the tea, he tried to relax when the entrance doorbell sang yet again. He looked up and for a few seconds, the time slowed down and he just stared at the person who stepped in. A tall and slim figure appeared at the entrance, wrapped in a long cream-white coat. With his delicate white hand, he tucked a few hair strands behind his ear and scanned the cafe. When Bekho saw those piercing eyes he instantly, who he has been waiting for. He felt his heart speed up.

Ren felt a little out of breath when he entered the tea shop. The doors that shut behind him created the wind, which blew a couple of hair strands on his face. He fixed the hair behind his ear and instantly felt regret for not pinning it up. Looking up he had to move a step because a couple was leaving. He noticed the watch on the wall and furrowed his eyebrows. It was his first time visiting this city, and he had trouble navigating his way alone, which put him in a bad mood. “Turn him down and leave” was his mantra to survive the chaos of this tiny, claustrophobic city.

He looked around and notice someone signaling at him. He walked towards the table and the person waiting for him stood up smiling. For a second he forgot all the piled-up hatred he felt coming there. They politely shook their hands a little longer than one would.

Ren would be lying if he said L was not a good-looking young man and Baekho forgot the beautiful person in front of him was there to meet someone else.

A server interrupted their moment and took their orders. Ren remembered what the plan was and quickly recollected himself and started his monologue. And like that, Baekho was knocked down to reality.

Ren rambled on and on how he supposedly already found someone, but there was a minor family issue.

The pleasant image Baekho had of Ren shattered the moment Ren opened his mouth and he couldn’t believe how someone who appeared so charming can actually be so rude and annoying.

He tried to follow Ren’s words and make a comment here and there, but Ren did not let himself be disturbed. Baekho was ready to just get up and leave, but he had to remind himself he was there for a friend and can’t waste this opportunity.

He already finished his cup of tea while Ren hadn’t touched his at all. From Ren’s words, he figured the latter had an altercation with his family and was now unconsciously venting.

However, he still felt showing one’s emotions and thoughts to someone one just met was a little childish and narcissistic. True, not everyone likes their arranged partner, but do you crush the person’s spirit the second you meet them, you don’t. If not because of consideration, since we’re all in the same boat, you do it gently because of one’s family reputation.

Baekho soon stopped following the conversation and just observed the boy in front of him. His big green eyes, his adorable nose, and his dainty lips with a strong cupid bow. He had to admit his friend had good taste.

“Is there something on my face?”

Baekho jumped a little at Ren’s comment.

“No, you look fine. I was about to pay. Do you want to order something more?”

Ren looked at his untouched tea and felt a little embarrassed. He shook his head and took a spit of his now cold tea. His date stood up and went to the cashier.

“You didn’t say much…” Ren tried to spark again the conversation outside, following Baekho’s back. It was surprisingly crowded and walking a step behind, he missed Baekho rolling his eyes.

“Can anyone at all, when talking to you?” he inaudibly mumbled and sped up, hoping if they reach the park, maybe they’ll be able to talk about something else.

“I don’t know the situation with your parents, but we can make something up and align our reasons or something …” Ren continued to provide scenarios and ideas to solve this situation, his voice slowly became just a murmur in Baekho’s mind.

With each step, Baekho was more annoyed and at one point burst out:

“We can’t make anything up. I won’t make anything up because L really likes you! You could at least give him the chance to know him first, before stomping on all the hope!”

He abruptly stopped and covered his mouth. He waited for a response. There was nothing, so he turned around. Ren was out of his sight. Confused, he stared, walking back and looking around.

“Could this day get any worse?” he murmured to himself and noticed someone who might be Ren, disappearing in an alley across the street.

“Is he insane?” He ran after him and caught him standing in front of an antique shop. In the window was a display of different colored gems.

“You can’t just wander off like that, it’s not safe!” Baekho looked around. They were quite far away from the main street and the crowd. The ally was empty, narrow, and gloomy, giving him the shivers.

“Are you interested in the stones?” Like a whisper, the doors opened, and a lady stood there, inviting them in.

Baekho politely declined and ushered Ren to leave, but the latter followed the lady inside. The boy stood there in disbelief as the doors closed on his face.

“He must be insane!” was Baekho’s conclusion, as he had no choice but to follow them inside.

The store was incredibly tiny and dark, full of dark brown cabinets and shelves, which were filled with all sorts of things. The place gave him the creeps, and he wanted to leave as soon as possible.

The owner laid down the stones before her new customer and allowed him to touch them. With no hesitation, Ren reached for the light purple stone. The lady laughed a little because he picked the least valuable one.

“You sure you want that one?” She asked with mischievous eyes.

“Yes he’s sure. How much do you want for it?” Baekho interrupted, hoping to speed up the transaction, so they can finally leave.

Ren reached for his money and Baekho almost choked when he saw how much Ren had on him, and only in big coins at that. He blocked Ren’s hand so the lady couldn’t see what he just saw and paid for the magic stone himself. He thanked the lady, grabbed Ren by his sleeve and pulled him out of the store, and kept holding him and dragging him along all the way until the main street.

Ren struggled and winced, but Baekho ignored him and only held him tighter.

“Why are you so rough!? I’m not an animal, you don’t need to drag me like this!” Ren finally broke free from Baekho’s grasp and tried to catch his breath. They stood at the entrance of the city park.

“Are you kidding me? I look away for a second and you wander off! Have you never been to a lower-class city? It’s dangerous! And …” He looked around and stepped closer, mouth close to Ren’s ear, and continued in a lower voice.

“And why do you carry so much money around!? Most people here don’t make the amount you have in your pocket in an entire week here!” They were of similar height and suddenly Baekho felt conscious of how close their faces were. For a few seconds, they just stood still and listen to each other’s breathing.

Ren felt his heart thump loud and averted his gaze. His face was flushed, and he turned around to hide it. He wanted to apologize but got interrupted when he noticed an enormous wolf running towards them. He screamed at full volume and jumped behind Baekho. The latter almost got a heart attack.

“Petunia, stop! I said stop!” A few feet behind the wold ran a girl holding a leash in hand.

Baekho felt amused as Ren held him tight around his waist and used him as a shield. It felt nice to be the hero.

The wolf reached them and sat down in front of Baekho, looking up at him and wagging his tail. The latter patted him.

“How are you Petunia, did you miss me?!” Ren’s grasp loosened and Baekho could crouch down and level with the wolf to pet him. The girl also reached them and put a leash on the wolf.

Baekho recognized her immediately. She was friends with L. They got to know each other when Baekho stayed with L during the holidays.

“Hello Wendy, I see Petunia is in high spirit as always!”

“She saw you and probably thought you have your friend with you! I will never forget how much she liked him!” Wendy smiled and also petted Petunia on the head. She then teased L about not informing her of his return and they held a light conversation.

Ren stood there a little confused and wiped his tears. He carefully examined Wendy, her appearance, her demeanor, and their exchange. Ren was a big book worm, but not just for any books. He consumed romance novels as if they were water without which there is no life. With just a look at her blushing and fiddling with her hair and her clothes he knew she was in love with L. He felt a little annoyed because L didn’t introduce him right away, which is appropriate since they’re on a date, but another thought formed in his head that cheered him up and he could forgive L’s mistake.