III - Nothing stays hidden forever

Hidden Lies

 

With a bag of food in one hand and a green pot plant in the other, Irene came home excited. Ren was coming back home from the university. She didn’t even reach the front door when Mainee, their maid, already came running to take the burden off her hands. Mainee’s magic possession was low to none, like most domestic helpers. She joined their small family soon after they created Ren and became an irreplaceable member of their family.

“It’s ok Mainee, it’s not heavy at all.” Of course, no words would have stopped her from helping.

“Leave all that to me, my lady. Your husband is having company in the study room. Greet them.” Mainee informed her and took things inside. Her words stopped Irene at her feet.

Were they expecting someone today? But why would they have a discussion in the study? It’s such a nice day and they have a lovely pavilion in the garden, or the terrace, or even the sitting room… Irene was a little confused.

“I’ll get the dinner ready.” Mainee added before she completely disappeared from Irene’s vision.

Before stepping inside the house, for a second Irene stopped and place her hand on the front door and focused on the house and people in it. However, she sensed little, just Mainee and her husband. That bothered her, but it must be because they sat in the study, which was the only place secured from magic intrusion in the house.

Why the study? They never hosted people in the study, unless …

Shivers ran down her spine, bad feeling nested itself at the bottom of her stomach. She paced up her step toward the study.

She opened the doors and at first glance one would think the room was empty, but she expected that illusion. When Woohyun, her husband, saw her, he opened a corridor for her to enter as well.

The study was small, the outer wall with big stained glass windows was rounded, other three filled with bookshelves and one big study desk. A large woven carpet covered the wooden floors. In the middle stood a coffee table surrounded by a small sofa and two armchairs that matched it.

Beside her husband, two familiar faces of the past appeared. She politely greeted everyone present.

“Why so formal? We haven’t seen each other for 20 years. I think I deserve a hug.” First, said Dongwoo, showing his big bright smile before he stepped closer and hugged Irene.

To be a part of the royal army meant a great deal, even if you were just an ordinary soldier. Both Irene and Woohyun joined the army after they finished their studies. Irene even made it very high and her service in the army granted her the land where they could build a home. However, after they made a child, they retired and slowly lost contact with a lot of their friends who stayed. Two of them being Dongwoo who later got moved from field to the castle, and Sunggyu, who continued working in the field monitoring the borders.

Woohyun was sitting on the sofa while Sunggyu sat in the armchair.

Unlike Dongwoo, Sunggyu was more reserved and only nodded her way. His smile seemed a little forced. She knew nothing good was hiding behind that smile.

“I’m happy to see you, but to tell the truth, I can’t shake off the bad feeling,” Irene was honest, her eyes wondering from one to another.

“I’m sorry to say your senses are right, as always. Do sit down.” Sunggyu motion to the sofa, where her husband already sat. She sat down and Woohyun squeezed her hand. Dongwoo sat down in the other armchair.

“We sort of came to warn you.” Sunggyu looked at Dongwoo who continued.

“We all know what happened the last time we saw each other. We promised to never speak of it, but …” Dongwoo took a breath between his words.

“Queen Flora secretly crossed our borders and went straight to our King. I believe she’s looking for what you brought … what we helped you brought back home that time.” His voice cracked a little as he finished and looked directly at Irene.

“This is nonsense!” The lady of the house was in disbelief.

“20 years have passed, why look for it now?! There must be another reason she’s here!” Irene didn’t want to believe Dongwoo’s words.

“Irene, her visit was unannounced. She came in a disguise. I recognized her at the border. No one was expecting her.” Sunggyu stepped in with a serious voice. He continued softer, half whispering:

“Few people even know she’s here. They say she went straight to the King and demanded back what belongs to her.”

“But why after so many years have passed?” Irene looked at everyone, confused. This could not be happening. She let down her guard of any consequences coming. Some time ago, they all have.

“I don’t understand it either, but in her place, would you ever stopped searching?” Woohyun tried to look composed, but many indescribable thoughts ran through his mind. His words hit her deep. She felt small.

“We don’t really know how much they know, but they will summon the generals from that time in.” Sunggyu cleared his throat and stood up and took a walk in the study., glancing at books and pictures on the bookshelves.

“That’s why we came, so can be prepared.” Dongwoo looked at Irene.

20 years ago Irene was the head of the sweeping team, which enters the enemy grounds last and makes sure there are no survivors left. Dongwoo and Woohyun were under her command and Sunggyu got involved in their little scheme when he caught them smuggling at the border. Because they were good friends, he looked the other way. After the war ended, the rumors started floating around that the Magic Kingdom got fooled and helped the wrong side. They felt guilty for what they did, but there was no going back. This secret put their friendship on hold till now.

Knocking on the doors disturbed their conversation. Irene popped her head out of the study. Mainee stood at the doors informing them Ren was on the way home. She also handed Irene a letter that just came and asked if the guest will stay for dinner. Irene instructing Mainee to set the table only for the family since the guest are leaving. The maid politely nodded and excused herself.

Irene stepped back inside and opened the letter. Just like their friend said, she and Woohyun were summoned to the royal court.

“I wish we could just pack our bags and leave far away.” She murmured and dropped the letter on the coffee table.

Sunggyu stepped closer and hold her by the shoulders.

“I don’t believe they have much information, but I want you to know we are always on your side.” He wanted to assure her they would never reveal their secret. Irene look at him and hugged him tight. Sunggyu flinched. He was not much of a hugger, but Irene needed this.

Dongwo and Sunggyu left their friend’s house on foot, to leave as little magic trail as possible.

“I noticed their family photo back in the study.” Sunggyu broke their silence.

“I thought they had a daughter?” He looked at Dongwoo, unsure. The latter thought little of his question.

“What, they don’t have one?” He looked back at his friend, confused. Thinking about the name, it could either be a boy or a girl.

“I’m pretty sure on the picture was a boy…” Sunggyu mumbled more to himself.