Wrong

Anyone Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's surprising how easy it was to forget as if it never happened. I never gave myself time to rest and think. What's the use of wallowing in it? That's what... a break is, right?

I'm not supposed to think of her. I'm supposed to reflect on myself. I'm supposed to become better for her. But also for myself. And for the future. 

I admit I wasn't the best girlfriend, but Eunbi wasn't perfect either. 

I see her in every student of mine with their fighting drive. I see her everytime I watch people play in the pool: jumping, splashing, laughing, all of it. 

Was all of this a waste? The entire two-thirds of this year? 

All I've been thinking about is a single question: Is Eunbi worth it?

It's the same question I asked myself the day she kissed me, because I knew complications would arise, yet brushed them off as only possibilities.

Have we ever been good for each other?

Were we just experiencing the lust of a once "forbidden" love?

She's not a replacement of Yuna. She never was. I tried so hard not to make her that.

Maybe our initial relationship was how we were meant to be: loathing, annoying, infuriating, and petty.

My parents don't ask, because they don't notice. They don't notice, because I don't show it. I don't show it because... it doesn't hurt as much. At least, not anymore. 

It feels lonely. 

And kind of humiliating given the fact that it's the second time someone broke up with me in the span of months. 

Are we broken up? What the hell is a break?

 

"Eomma, how about sweet potato?"

"Yes, the pumpkin sweet potato." 

I leave my mother's side in the aisle and go to the vegetables section in the supermarket. I find the root crops, pass the potatoes, and get to the bags of sweet potatoes. Scanning for a good bag, I glance at the person beside me to make sure I'm not in their way. My neck almost snaps at how fast I look again to see a very familiar face.

"Yuna?"

The girl who looked focused on the potatoes turns her head at the mention of her name, and her eyes grow wide, mirroring mine. "Yerin!"

"What are you doing here?" I ask, confused.

"Shopping, of course," she answers innocently.

"No, I mean here in this town. You don't even live nearby."

"Oh, this is where I get my nails done." The tall girl wiggles her fingers in front of me to show off her newly painted nails and clean cuticles.

"Huh." A runner doesn't do much with their hands. I could never grow my nails long or else I'd hurt my own hand.

She turns the question on me. "What are you doing here?" 

"I'm doing grocery with my mom. She offered to buy me whatever snacks I want."

"Can I come say hi?"

I almost forget my parents have met Yuna before. Just once, during winter break when I invited her to dinner. How can I forget that? Having a partner meet your parents is a big deal.

"Yeah, sure." I start to lead the way, but turn around on my heels. "Right after I get what I came for." After we both grab a bag, I search down the aisles and finally find her walking slowly in the chips section.

"Eomma."

She turns, and a big smile grows on her face. "Omooo! Is that Yuna?" 

"Nice to see you again, Eomo-nim." Yuna goes to bow politely, but my mother hugs her instead. 

"Yuna, you seem to have gotten skinnier. Are you eating okay? Has Yerin not been feeding you enough?"

I almost choke on my spit. "Ey, Eomma why would I feed Yuna?"

"With training and tournaments, I haven't been able to eat as much as I want to," Yuna says. "Yerin got skinnier too."

"Aigo, but my daughter always gains it back anyway when she comes home." She squeezes the runner's arms, blabbing about how she's thin, but muscular too. "Are you doing anything today? I'm making pork kimchi stew. You should come over."

I wouldn't want to bother her. "Yuna's probably busy—"

"Yerin, it's okay." She gives me a smile, then looks to my mom. "That sounds wonderful, Eomo-nim. I would love to taste your cooking again."

 

Yuna helps bag everything, and even carries it to the car. I decide to sit in the back with her instead of the front passenger seat so she's not alone. A thought comes to mind that makes me look suspiciously at my mom's back. She was planning on making chicken tonight. Did she say she was making kimchi stew because she knows it's Yuna's favorite? 

Wait. How does my mom even know that?

"So, how are you two?" the older woman pries. "Yerin doesn't tell me much. Is she treating you okay, Yuna? Supporting you in your sprinting?"

Yuna and I exchange looks, and it comes to our attention that I've never told my parents we weren't dating anymore. "Eomma—" The former puts her hand on top of mine, nodding. It seems she has a plan. I trust her.

"Yes, eomo-nim. Yerin is the sweetest. She's never done anything to hurt me." Her hand clasps mine, and all I can do is stare. "Of course she's very supportive. But as an athlete herself, it's understandable that we have differing schedules. But in the end... she's always there for me." Yuna looks into my eyes before letting go of my hand. 

What was that?

"You know, back when my husband and I were dating, we—" 

I tune out my mother's voice, because I've heard this story over and over again. Instead, I trace the palm of my hand Yuna touched and wonder why it felt so void after she let go.

 

"Go, shoo shoo. Spend time in Yerin's room." As my mom banishes us from the kitchen, I blush when she voluntarily puts us alone in my room. I blush even more when she winks at me and closes the door.

Yuna laughs, and her eyes wander around the four walls and bookshelves. "So this is the legendary Jung Yerin's room." She picks up a Jibbang doll and moves it arms, making it wave at me. Putting it in the hook of her arm, she goes and sits at my desk that was currently plain with no paperwork that needed to be done.

I watch her from my bed, and when she stills with her eyes on the picture stuck to my desk lamp, my stomach drops. Her fingers go to touch it, but she doesn't linger. Instead, she quickly gets up and sits by me on the mattress.

"Your mom is nice as always. How old is she again?" she asks.

"She's almost sixty."

Yuna nods as she looks around again. 

"Why didn't you let me tell her that we broke up?" I ask, wanting desperately to know the answer. 

Her long thin legs swing weakly off the edge of the bed. "It's not a good time. It would have been a kinda awkward car ride. And I don't really want to be asked about the reason," she chuckles. "I guess you haven't told your parents about Eunbi?"

Pursing my lips, I just shake my head. "It never came up." But I know that's wrong. Because aren't you supposed to be proud of your partner? Show them off? Why wait for the time to talk about them?

"I hung out with her the other day. Went to this café that had coffee brewers that looked straight out of a science lab. She seemed tired, even after drinking coffee. Have you been there with her?" 

In Yuna's round eyes, I can see the reflection of the pitiful and sad look on my face. "Eunbi and I are... on a break. Right now."

Her brows droop, showing her concern. "On a break?"

"We uhm... we've been fighting too often. She thought it would be best if we let off some steam for a while. Be apart."

"Since when?"

"It was the end of May."

Her jaw drops in disbelief. "So you haven't talked to each other since then?"

"No, we haven't."

"That long, huh?" She scrunches her face in thought. "I didn't know you guys fight."

"It's stupid, really. We just... Pride gets in the way too often. We're stubborn. And obviously inexperienced with relationships," I claim helplessly. "It's like we hit rock bottom."

I see Yuna's fingers grip tighter on the doll as she keeps mum. "So... what happens when you meet again?"

All I can do is shrug. "I don't know. Maybe things will be better, maybe it'll be worse."

The taller glances towards my desk again, most likely looking at the lamp. The picture of Yuna and I on her birthday is the one that that I stuck on my lamp back when summer started. I don't know why I put up that one. I could've put a picture of Eunbi, yet there were none on display in my room. 

"Well... at rock bottom, the only way to go is up, right? Geez, she didn't even tell me." Yuna's eyes fixate on a medal hung on my wall. It stands out with the way it's placed and how it looks— the size, color, and engraving. She stands and almost touches it, but turns to me and asks for permission. "May I?"

I nod, and her fingers delicately touch the emblem. Making my way to her side, I tell, "That was my first ever medal. I was eight, and just barely got my green belt." I let out a sigh as I read the inscription. "T'was the start of a great journey." My gaze looks to the rest of the wall, decorated with certificates, medals, old belts, and pictures. "Ironic how I can barely win a match now." 

I'm snapped out of my melancholy state when the ribbon gently goes around my neck, and the medal is sitting atop my chest. It's definitely shorter than I remember, but that's only because I'm grown now. I question Yuna with a look, and her hands let go to be placed on my shoulders. 

"So you don't forget how it feels," she mutters. "And also, so you know that the weight of the medal doesn't matter. Because we may win some, lose some, but we don't forget our spirit."

I hold onto one of the hands on my shoulders. "Thanks, Yuna."

The comfort she brings me never falters. Yuna will always make me feel that life isn't so bad. And with the way she rubs at my upper arms and shoulders, I could fall asleep right now.

But all drowsiness is thrown out the window when she pecks my lips, not giving me enough time to react. 

My fingers slowly go to cover my mouth in shock as we just stare at each other— the look on her face tells me she's just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter