chapter viii

beginning of many firsts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you hear the rumours about her?”

“ up to the seniors, right? Or something along those lines.”

“She’s the one who goes around with her best friend, isn’t she? Her best friend is extremely noisy while she’s the opposite.”

Jiwoo walks down the hallway with crossed brows and a scowl, extremely irritated about the constant murmuring she’s hearing. It’s definitely a refreshing look on her, compared to her usual demeanour she carries. She wasn’t in the mood to entertain or be nice to people today, not after her results for the last trimester were mailed to the house this morning. To make things worse, Jiwoo didn’t even get the chance to open her own mail and prepare her parents for the bad news… so, just imagine the lashings and lectures she got from her mother.

“Kim Jungeun? She’s in my sociology class.”

Wait.

They were talking about Jungeun all this time?

Just like that, Jiwoo forgets her initial plan of going to the staff office and asking for a tutor. She’s more interested in seeing why people are suddenly having a problem with Jungeun. The both of them – well, more of Jungeun, really – have always been wallflowers, very lowkey and particular about staying under the radar.

“How else would she get so close to Jinsoul-sunbae? They don’t really share that many interests and they didn’t sit by side in class originally. All of a sudden, the two of them are attached at the hip and refuse to sit apart in class? That sounds like a classic junior trying to rely on her senior for popularity, don’t you think?”

Barely holding back the urge to start making a fuss, Jiwoo clenches her fists in an attempt to hypnotize herself into waiting. She finds it comical that the two girls are right there speaking about both her best friend and her cousin, except none of their speculations hold any truth to it.

It’s a little funny though; just how much influence did Jinsoul have here?

Does she even know about it?

 

text message from giant baby

jiwoo, where are you?

jungeun texted bc she’s worried about you

 

Speak of the devil.

“Jinsoul-unnie? I’m coming to find Jungeun now! I was just listening to some people talk behind your back,” Jiwoo snickers into the phone, knowing fully well that those girls are also listening to her this time.

“Isn’t that Kim Jiwoo?”

Gotcha.

It’s exact moments like this where Jiwoo wishes everyone knows their actual relationship so people don’t misunderstand her… and she’d also be able to clear up Jungeun’s name without too much drama. This type of hierarchy should have died in high school where everyone is still immature and learning about personal growth but here in university, it seems to be enhanced by many times. When they first entered as freshmen, the only popular ones were two or three years older and rarely mingled with freshmen so the hierarchy’s impact was barely there.

Now that Jinsoul seems to be popular and in demand due to her participation pretty much everywhere every day, Jiwoo can only hope that Jungeun doesn’t end up receiving the brunt of angry freshmen and sophomore – and that’s if there’s no one else in Jinsoul’s year and above.

“Jiwoo!”

The next thing she knows, Jungeun is marching to her so fiercely like she’s about to tear her apart.

Jungeun grabs her best friend by the shoulders, shaking her a few times. “Where the heck were you? You didn’t answer any of my texts and calls this morning! I was so worried that you were sick or something!”

Jinsoul chooses to out of the situation, though the amused expression on her face can’t be hidden. She has seen Jungeun lose her composure one too many times, so it’s no longer surprising – surprise, excitement, happiness, anticipation… the few Jinsoul hasn’t, and wishes she never sees is heartbreak, sadness or anguish. Jungeun should always have a smile on her face, with absolutely nothing in the world that could bring her pain. Months ago, Jinsoul would have laughed in someone’s face if they told her she could feel this way towards someone again, and at an amplified level too.

It feels strange.

“You’re hiding something from me.”

Jiwoo tenses and Jungeun’s eyes narrow when she catches that.

“Spill.”

“I was late because I was eavesdropping.” Jiwoo mumbles, leaning against the wall with sagged shoulders. She knows that once Jungeun catches her trying to lie or bluff her way through, Jungeun’s sense of suspicion only grows. “They were talking about you – well, us and Jinsoul-unnie.”

Jinsoul’s attention is grasped at once, her crossed arms loosening when she hears her name. “Me? What about me?”

Then the cat is let out of the bag within minutes, Jiwoo relaying every single word she heard to her cousin. She knows it might look petty and unnecessary from another perspective but the truth is, Jungeun doesn’t deserve the comments behind her back when she didn’t do anything wrong. Imagine if Jiwoo and Jinsoul actually displayed how close they are in school; she’d probably be ten feet underground by now. The only thing worse than this is those girls just talking about Jinsoul like she’s a child and can’t decide things for herself. If Jinsoul genuinely doesn’t want to get close to people, she’d do something about it.

The more Jinsoul listens, the angrier she feels.

“How is it any of their business? I’m close to Jungeun because I enjoy spending time with her… why do they have to make it seem like Jungeun is getting close to me for an ulterior motive?” Jinsoul whispers.

Despite having a faint idea of why she’s popular, Jinsoul never bothered to find out more. She never had a reason to, actually; both her friends hardly care about that too so it just didn’t stick.

Now that Jungeun is being dragged into this… Jinsoul feels upset.

“Unnie, it’s okay…”

Jinsoul shakes her head and puts a hand on Jungeun’s shoulder, giving it a tender squeeze. “No, it isn’t. People shouldn’t be badmouthing you just because we’re friends, and so what if I spend every day with you? It’s none of their business.”

Jungeun takes Jinsoul’s free hand into her own, massaging the back of her palm. She definitely agrees with the senior’s take but less hostility means less drama, right? Not that either of them is on the verge of being suspended or anything like that but Jinsoul is a senior after all, she definitely has more on her plate than just petty rumours and drama.

“I’m fine though. Let’s not focus on small things like that, okay?”

“Fine…” Jinsoul mumbles, although visibly annoyed that Jungeun doesn’t seem to even care that her reputation in school might be at stake. “You better be honest with me if they start bothering you.”

Jiwoo nods when Jinsoul’s gaze falls upon her; she knows her best friend too well. Jungeun might have a really tough exterior, but there are just too many things that go on in that head of hers. The constant need to be independent and ‘not be a burden’ is always at the back of her mind, despite having her parents’ unconditional love and support. In the event that people begin to make trouble for Jungeun, Jiwoo’s willing to bet the latter won’t breathe a word to Jinsoul.

I’m handing my best friend to you, Unnie.

 

Meaningless chatter envelops Jinsoul and Jungeun, the two completely lost in their own world – it’s honestly been that way since they got closer. Most of their classmates are used to seeing the two together, so it doesn’t faze them a bit.

“What’s going on?”

“Oh, there’s a really hot guy talking to Professor Kim, doesn’t seem to be other courses either though. I think he’s transferring to our university.”

Jinsoul doesn’t pay much attention to the commotion, gently nudging her way through so she can get to her seat. Naturally, Jungeun follows behind with her arms hugging her laptop. She’s just thankful that none of their classmates are giving her the stink eye, especially after Jiwoo told her what she heard this morning. One day at a time will hopefully get her through the semester; Christmas break is approaching soon anyway.

“Everyone, this is Kim Mingyu. He will be joining us for the rest of the school year so please welcome him with open arms.”

The cheers and whistles amongst the class are not uncalled for, Jinsoul thinks, and that’s coming from her. She isn’t easily impressed by people of the opposite at all because it’s all so bare minimum… most of the time, at least. Whenever people are giving a male student attention, it’s never anything that fantastic or rave-worthy but this guy right here? Jinsoul willingly takes her hat off to him because he is the epitome of a male god.

“Jinsoul?” The professor waits till Jinsoul raises her hand, proudly smiling at his star student. He can always rely on her to get things done. “Will you do me a favour and show him around during your free period?”

“Yes, Sir.”

Jungeun’s expression sullens the moment Jinsoul gives the professor her word; she feels guilty for getting a tad bit upset, knowing that it isn’t Jinsoul’s fault for being a good student.

It really doesn’t help that this new transferee is this handsome.

“Jungeun? Hey, Jungeun!” Jinsoul nudges the younger girl, eyebrows almost meeting in the middle with how worried she looks. She’s been trying to get her attention for the past two minutes. “Is everything okay? You look so lost.”

How can Jungeun tell Jinsoul that she’s uncomfortable because of how good looking the new guy is? How can she be honest and say that she doesn’t want Jinsoul to be showing him around? What if the new transferee starts to a liking to Jinsoul and the two of them start getting chummy?

“I’m fine, Unnie.”

Jinsoul looks like she’s about to say something but she’s cut off by the professor, ready to begin class. She steals another glance at Jungeun, pouting when she realizes that the younger girl isn’t in the mood to talk. In certain modules, there are times where they keep themselves occupied with doodling or writing cute notes on each other’s binders. When their laptops are required for class, Jinsoul always sends her song recommendations through their message application. Jungeun either returns the act or sends her those animated stickers, often mimicking Jinsoul’s actions at that point in time.

Today is just not going her way, Jinsoul sighs.

To make things worse, Jungeun actually maintains her silence throughout the two hours, only turning to Jinsoul when they’re required to do research in pairs. This is a terrible module to be in… until Jinsoul decides to just shove her binder closer, with some words scribbled on it.

 

jungeun :(

why are you ignoring me?

 

i’m not, unnie

just a bit tired

 

and you’re sure I didn’t do anything wrong?

sorry if I did :(

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter